These are simply THE BEST vegan chocolate chip cookies around! We’ve given them another upgrade by adding in toasted coconut (you can buy it or make it) and toasted almonds for extra flavor and crunch. Use your favorite dark chocolate chips and bake up a batch or two. They make great gifts and store well in the freezer for when a craving hits.
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 cup almond flour or meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 ounces unrefined coconut oil, at room temperature (not melted)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut, toasted (optional, but gooooood!)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional, but gooooood!)
- 10 ounce bag dark chocolate chips (non-dairy)
- Adjust oven racks so one is in the center and the other is in the lower third. Preheat oven to 350°F and line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- If making your own toasted coconut and almonds, place on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes (or until lightly toasted). Remove and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together ground flaxseed with water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together gluten free flour blend, almond flour, baking powder and sea salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand or stand mixer, beat together the semi-solid coconut oil with the coconut sugar and maple syrup. Beat until creamy. Add the flaxseed mixture and beat again until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat again on low speed until well-combined. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Using a silicone spatula or the mixer set on low speed, add the toasted coconut and almonds. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a mini-ice cream scoop or tablespoon, scoop dough and form into 2-inch wide by 1/2-inch thick patties. Place 12 patties onto each of the baking sheets leaving a good 1 1/2- to 2-inches between. (You will have extra dough.)
- Place both sheets in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes, then rotate the sheets top to bottom and back to front. Bake for an additional 5-6 minutes or until the cookies are done around the edges and set in the middle. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks. Repeat with any remaining dough.
- Store in an airtight container for up to several months stored in a cool, dry place. Cookies can also be frozen for up to six months.
- These cookies have not been tested using paleo or nut flour blends.
- We recommend Pamela’s Products and King Arthur Flour gluten free flour blends.
- Feel free to omit the coconut or nuts, as needed.
- Gluten free oat flour can be used in place of the almond meal or flour, if needed.
- 2 large eggs can be used in place of ground flaxseed and water.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free chocolate chip cookies