FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

Oh Sweet Beets!

Citrus Beet Cleanser Green Smoothie

I  love beets!!! I make them a lot at home, especially when I see them at my farmers market for cheap. Most people either love ‘em or hate ‘em. There’s usually no in between. But, we are here to tell you, after several attempts at making a delicious beet-inspired Simple Green Smoothie, we have finally found one good enough to call our own.

For those of you who are fans of beets, never had one or just maybe feel like adding a raw beet to your green smoothie sounds weird, this article is for you.

Why We Love Beets

Beets are amazingly high in folate. So many mamas out there trying to get pregnant or already have a baby on the way – Yay! – get your beet on! A cup of beets contain nearly half of your folate needs which help protect baby against birth defects.

Want to keep things moving? Reach for  a beet! Beets are full of fiber which keep you full longer and also keep things moving on a regular basis.

Beets also contain high amounts of naturally occurring nitrates which might help increase exercise performance.

Waste not, want not! The entire beet plant is edible – leafy greens and all.

Loaded with antioxidants like Vitamin C, beets can help increase your immune system and lower your risk of cancer and other chronic illnesses.

Tips for enjoying a green smoothie with beets:

Roasting them before you add them to your blender. You can find out all about roasting different root vegetables here.

BAKED
Preheat oven to 400 degrees – Scrub each beet with a veggie brush, be sure to trim off the leafy greens and reserve for another time. Slice unpeeled beets into quarters, place on a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes or until cooked through. Once cooled, you can toss a few into your smoothies and enjoy all the sweet goodness beets have to offer.

STEAMED
In a steamer basket with a couple inches of water in pan, add scrubbed beet that has been cut in quarters (greens trimmed off) steam for about 15 minutes until just cooked through or a knife easily comes out. You now have amazing little beets with a super sweet taste that knocks an incredible punch to your green smoothies all week. The steaming brings down the “whoa” factor and mellows it to perfection. You can now add ½-1 cup of roasted beets to any of our favorite green smoothies.

And here’s a brand spankin’ new recipe created just for you…

Whole 30 Green Smoothie | Carrot Beet Berry

Oh So Beet Smoothie

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Cook Time: 2 minutes
  • Yield: 2 1x
  • Category: Breakfast, Drinks
  • Method: Blending
  • Cuisine: Healthy

This beet smoothie recipe is high in antioxidants and brings out the best in beets. Make sure to wash and peel the beets first to reduce some of the “earthy” taste.

• 2 cups chard
  • 2 cups almond milk
  • 1/2 cup berries
  • 1 ripe pear
  • 1 banana
  • 1/4 cup roasted beets
  • 2 tbsp nut butter

1. Blend chard and almond milk
  2. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 2

Keywords: Beet smoothie

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Anneke says:

Hi, I am new to Simple Green Smoothies. I have been reading the recipe at the top of this page, and it said, 1 cup of Chard. Can you please tell me what it is as I have no idea. Never heard of it hear in Australia.

Thanks in advance,

I am enjoying all the recipes from Simple Green Smoothies.

Warm regards, Anneke.

2. Glenys says:

Please, could somebody tell me how to freeze raw beetroot for smoothies. I thought maybe peeled and cut into cubes and freeze on a baking sheet (like bananas) and then put into a ziplock bag. Would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance, Glenys from Down Under

3. Yolette says:

I just bought a 10lbs bag of beets! Can I boil them and cut-freeze them for smoothies ? Would nutrition be less if boiled?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Yolette.

I personally prefer steaming my beets best. Do whatever works best for you. 🙂

STEAMED
      In a steamer basket with a couple inches of water in pan, add scrubbed beet that has been cut in quarters (greens trimmed off) steam for about 15 minutes until just cooked through or a knife easily comes out. You now have amazing little beets with a super sweet taste that knocks an incredible punch to your green smoothies all week. The steaming brings down the “whoa” factor and mellows it to perfection. You can now add ½-½ cup of roasted beets to any of our favorite green smoothies.

• MamaRach says:

Do you peel the beets before or after steaming?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

If you’re using organic beets, feel free to steam them peeled or unpeeled :). When using conventionally-grown beets, I prefer to peel them first.

4. BonnieB says:

I often put approx 1/3 raw beet into green smoothie, can’t really taste it; makes smoothie look chocolate (<%. Chops totally with my Nutribullet. I lOve cooked beets w/apple cider vinegar. My smoothie base is usually apple, pear, spinach & kale/swiss chard. I will now try beet greens.

5. jac says:

Can this be taken raw? What’s a good way to peel the skin without staining my self ?
    Eating thr whole fruit including the skin?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Jac. We like roasting them: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/tips/root-veggies

• BonnieB says:

I only cut skin off the section I’m using; means short exposure to stain. Keep remaining beet in crisper. I wash/rub fingertips immediately with dish soap – no stain, even on wood cutting board that I only wipe with water. Beet skin doesn’t blend so well. I splurged on a motion activated dishsoap dispenser, previously had a pump dispenser on the counter. Awesome is good word for this splurge (8.

6. Alison says:

if you roast or steam the beets are you then able to freeze them for use at a later date?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Alison,

I am sure that would be fine, just make sure you let them get to room temperature before you freeze them.

Fresh – cooked – use, would be best.
      or
      Fresh – cooked – freeze – use, would work too. 🙂

7. mary jo walters says:

My husband and I are so thankful for this site! We have almost made it to are 30 days ! But no way that we can stop now we love these green smoothies ! I added raw chopped beets ( I don’t like beets but had to give it a try) it was pretty good, my husband liked it too and he doesn’t eat beets either ! There are so many veggies and fruits out there that I have never tried ! What an eye opening experience ! Thanks so very so much !!

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Thank you so much Mary Jo! Thank you for your feedback and I am so glad that you have had a positive experience with Simple Green Smoothies. 🙂 Keep blending those leafy greens! 🙂

8. Emily H says:

What about using the beet greens in place of spinach/chard? (In any recipe…..?)

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Emily! We haven’t tried that before, but go for it! Let us know how it goes.

9. Deanna Ford says:

OMG! Why did it never occur to me to sub avocados for bananas!!!

10. sayshe2014 says:

yes! beets for tomorrow breakfast! i bought shredded beetroots last weekend, time to use them before they get spoiled so this is perfect! will be adding some raw soaked almonds instead of the nut butter and almond milk since i dont have those. It should work right?

11. Sarah says:

Is there anything that can replace the bananas? I am not a fan of the fruit, but this sounds like a great recipe1 =]

12. Magdalena says:

**took a risk (sorry)

13. Magdalena says:

I wasn´t sure about the beets but i take the risk and add them raw…I have to say this smoothie is definitely one of my top 5! SOoooo yummy! Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Regards from Uruguay!

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

So glad you loved it, Magdalena! Love that you’re experimenting and going outside of your comfort zone.

14. Steph says:

This was so yummy. Roasting brings out the sweetness in the beets

15. shannon farmer says:

I’m just beginning to enjoy smoothies and was wondering can you add beets raw ? What’s the benefit of cooked vs. Raw beets ? Sorry if this is a dumb question !

1 2

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE