The Index

Rawk out here too...

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

Hey there! I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two, ultra runner and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos. I took my family's health into my own hands while broke and without health insurance...and have helped 1 million+ other families along the way.

Summer 7-day reset
Weekly MEAL PLANS
Accountability
ADVENTURE RETREATS

year

— SUMMER SALE! —

Oh Sweet Beets!

Citrus Beet Cleanser Green Smoothie

I  love beets!!! I make them a lot at home, especially when I see them at my farmers market for cheap. Most people either love ‘em or hate ‘em. There’s usually no in between. But, we are here to tell you, after several attempts at making a delicious beet-inspired Simple Green Smoothie, we have finally found one good enough to call our own.

For those of you who are fans of beets, never had one or just maybe feel like adding a raw beet to your green smoothie sounds weird, this article is for you.

Why We Love Beets

Beets are amazingly high in folate. So many mamas out there trying to get pregnant or already have a baby on the way – Yay! – get your beet on! A cup of beets contain nearly half of your folate needs which help protect baby against birth defects.

Want to keep things moving? Reach for  a beet! Beets are full of fiber which keep you full longer and also keep things moving on a regular basis.

Beets also contain high amounts of naturally occurring nitrates which might help increase exercise performance.

Waste not, want not! The entire beet plant is edible – leafy greens and all.

Loaded with antioxidants like Vitamin C, beets can help increase your immune system and lower your risk of cancer and other chronic illnesses.

Tips for enjoying a green smoothie with beets:

Roasting them before you add them to your blender. You can find out all about roasting different root vegetables here.

BAKED
Preheat oven to 400 degrees – Scrub each beet with a veggie brush, be sure to trim off the leafy greens and reserve for another time. Slice unpeeled beets into quarters, place on a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes or until cooked through. Once cooled, you can toss a few into your smoothies and enjoy all the sweet goodness beets have to offer.

STEAMED
In a steamer basket with a couple inches of water in pan, add scrubbed beet that has been cut in quarters (greens trimmed off) steam for about 15 minutes until just cooked through or a knife easily comes out. You now have amazing little beets with a super sweet taste that knocks an incredible punch to your green smoothies all week. The steaming brings down the “whoa” factor and mellows it to perfection. You can now add ½-1 cup of roasted beets to any of our favorite green smoothies.

And here’s a brand spankin’ new recipe created just for you…

Whole 30 Green Smoothie | Carrot Beet Berry

Oh So Beet Smoothie

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Cook Time: 2 minutes
  • Yield: 2 1x
  • Category: Breakfast, Drinks
  • Method: Blending
  • Cuisine: Healthy

This beet smoothie recipe is high in antioxidants and brings out the best in beets. Make sure to wash and peel the beets first to reduce some of the “earthy” taste.

• 2 cups chard

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 2

Keywords: Beet smoothie

Comment+

1. shannon farmer

December 6th, 2013 at 7:06 am

I’m just beginning to enjoy smoothies and was wondering can you add beets raw ? What’s the benefit of cooked vs. Raw beets ? Sorry if this is a dumb question !

2. Jadah and Jen

December 6th, 2013 at 12:48 pm

You sure can! The reason we suggest roasting is because most people have a hard time with the taste of raw beets 🙂

3. Steph

April 13th, 2014 at 10:41 pm

This was so yummy. Roasting brings out the sweetness in the beets

4. Magdalena

April 18th, 2014 at 4:03 am

I wasn´t sure about the beets but i take the risk and add them raw…I have to say this smoothie is definitely one of my top 5! SOoooo yummy! Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Regards from Uruguay!

5. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 18th, 2014 at 9:03 am

So glad you loved it, Magdalena! Love that you’re experimenting and going outside of your comfort zone.

6. Magdalena

April 18th, 2014 at 4:05 am

**took a risk (sorry)

7. Sarah

May 8th, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Is there anything that can replace the bananas? I am not a fan of the fruit, but this sounds like a great recipe1 =]

8. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 9th, 2014 at 9:25 am

Check out this article, Sarah!

9. sayshe2014

May 30th, 2014 at 11:53 am

yes! beets for tomorrow breakfast! i bought shredded beetroots last weekend, time to use them before they get spoiled so this is perfect! will be adding some raw soaked almonds instead of the nut butter and almond milk since i dont have those. It should work right?

10. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 30th, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Yep!

11. Deanna Ford

July 25th, 2014 at 5:32 pm

OMG! Why did it never occur to me to sub avocados for bananas!!!

12. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 26th, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hey Deanna! Did you try it yet? Hope you enjoyed it! 🙂

13. Emily H

July 27th, 2014 at 6:01 am

What about using the beet greens in place of spinach/chard? (In any recipe…..?)

14. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 28th, 2014 at 6:14 am

Hey Emily! We haven’t tried that before, but go for it! Let us know how it goes.

15. mary jo walters

July 28th, 2014 at 5:44 pm

My husband and I are so thankful for this site! We have almost made it to are 30 days ! But no way that we can stop now we love these green smoothies ! I added raw chopped beets ( I don’t like beets but had to give it a try) it was pretty good, my husband liked it too and he doesn’t eat beets either ! There are so many veggies and fruits out there that I have never tried ! What an eye opening experience ! Thanks so very so much !!

16. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 29th, 2014 at 7:14 am

Thank you so much Mary Jo! Thank you for your feedback and I am so glad that you have had a positive experience with Simple Green Smoothies. 🙂 Keep blending those leafy greens! 🙂

17. Alison

July 31st, 2014 at 7:57 pm

if you roast or steam the beets are you then able to freeze them for use at a later date?

18. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 1st, 2014 at 5:19 am

Hey Alison,

I am sure that would be fine, just make sure you let them get to room temperature before you freeze them.

Fresh – cooked – use, would be best.
    or
    Fresh – cooked – freeze – use, would work too. 🙂

19. jac

August 4th, 2014 at 5:16 am

Can this be taken raw? What’s a good way to peel the skin without staining my self ?
    Eating thr whole fruit including the skin?

20. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 4th, 2014 at 6:59 am

Hey Jac. We like roasting them: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/tips/root-veggies

21. BonnieB

November 16th, 2014 at 11:40 am

I only cut skin off the section I’m using; means short exposure to stain. Keep remaining beet in crisper. I wash/rub fingertips immediately with dish soap – no stain, even on wood cutting board that I only wipe with water. Beet skin doesn’t blend so well. I splurged on a motion activated dishsoap dispenser, previously had a pump dispenser on the counter. Awesome is good word for this splurge (8.

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 17th, 2014 at 10:24 am

Thanks for the comment, BonnieB. 🙂

23. BonnieB

November 16th, 2014 at 11:24 am

I often put approx 1/3 raw beet into green smoothie, can’t really taste it; makes smoothie look chocolate (<%. Chops totally with my Nutribullet. I lOve cooked beets w/apple cider vinegar. My smoothie base is usually apple, pear, spinach & kale/swiss chard. I will now try beet greens.

24. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 17th, 2014 at 10:23 am

Cheers, BonnieB! 🙂

25. Yolette

November 18th, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I just bought a 10lbs bag of beets! Can I boil them and cut-freeze them for smoothies ? Would nutrition be less if boiled?

26. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 18th, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Hey Yolette.

I personally prefer steaming my beets best. Do whatever works best for you. 🙂

STEAMED
    In a steamer basket with a couple inches of water in pan, add scrubbed beet that has been cut in quarters (greens trimmed off) steam for about 15 minutes until just cooked through or a knife easily comes out. You now have amazing little beets with a super sweet taste that knocks an incredible punch to your green smoothies all week. The steaming brings down the “whoa” factor and mellows it to perfection. You can now add ½-½ cup of roasted beets to any of our favorite green smoothies.

27. MamaRach

March 4th, 2016 at 4:21 am

Do you peel the beets before or after steaming?

28. SGS Rawkstar

March 4th, 2016 at 12:57 pm

If you’re using organic beets, feel free to steam them peeled or unpeeled :). When using conventionally-grown beets, I prefer to peel them first.

29. Glenys

February 6th, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Please, could somebody tell me how to freeze raw beetroot for smoothies. I thought maybe peeled and cut into cubes and freeze on a baking sheet (like bananas) and then put into a ziplock bag. Would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance, Glenys from Down Under

30. SGS Rawkstar

July 20th, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Hi Glenys,

Looking to freeze leafy greens, like beet root – check out our blog post here…

31. Anneke

February 12th, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Hi, I am new to Simple Green Smoothies. I have been reading the recipe at the top of this page, and it said, 1 cup of Chard. Can you please tell me what it is as I have no idea. Never heard of it hear in Australia.

Thanks in advance,

I am enjoying all the recipes from Simple Green Smoothies.

Warm regards, Anneke.

32. Glenys

February 13th, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Chard is Spinach in Aus.
    Best regards, Glenys

33. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 16th, 2015 at 8:41 am

Hi Anneke. I think swiss chard is silver beet in Australia. 🙂

34. Anneke

February 12th, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Hi, I am new to Simple Green Smoothies. I have been reading the recipe at the top of this page, and it said, 1 cup of Chard. Can you please tell me what it is as I have no idea. Never heard of it here in Australia.

Thanks in advance,

I am enjoying all the recipes from Simple Green Smoothies.

Warm regards, Anneke.

35. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 13th, 2015 at 6:03 am

Hi Anneke.

Welcome! Thanks for blending with us! Could it be called silver beet in Australia? 🙂

36. Priscilla

June 15th, 2015 at 3:23 pm

So funny – I have wondered about this stuff called Chard for ages. Silverbeet, now I understand (from an Aussie living in Canada!)

37. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

June 16th, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Happy to help, Priscilla! 🙂

38. Joyce

April 2nd, 2015 at 1:32 am

Jadah and Jen, and rawkstar team….thank you for sharing this website with us! You are helping so many people! God bless each one of you!
    Happy Easter ♡

39. SGS Rawkstar

April 2nd, 2015 at 6:43 am

Joyce,

Thank you so much for your sweet message!

Peace, Love, and Leafy Greens

40. Bhumika

April 13th, 2015 at 1:20 am

Hi ladies can I add raw Beet to the smoothies?

41. SGS Rawkstar

April 14th, 2015 at 4:43 am

Hi Bhumika,

Of course you can!

42. Gaylene

June 29th, 2015 at 4:41 am

I am new to the smoothies too but love, love them. I have a question about the beets, the info says 1/2-1/2cup of beets. Does that really mean a 1/4 cup?

43. SGS Rawkstar

June 29th, 2015 at 7:17 am

Hi Gaylene,

Great catch! You’re right, we’ll update our page right away!

44. Jennifer

March 28th, 2016 at 3:43 pm

I am fairly new to doing the shakes in the morning and tried the beets in them. I loved the taste, but noticed I was extremely tired the whole day. I could not wait to get home and go to bed. Is the tryptopan just in the leafy greens or is it in all of it. Would like to continue using them, just can’t go around in a fog all day at work.

45. SGS Rawkstar

March 28th, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Hi Jennifer,

Tryptophan levels are highest in the leaves, but you will also find that sleepy nutrient from the vegetable itself. Finding yourself extra sensitive to tryptophan? This may be the perfect bedtime smoothie!

1 2
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies