I’m Jen Hansard, mom of 2 and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a mostly plant-powered diet and helped 1 million+ families do it.

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER
BEST-SELLING RECIPE BOOKS
Search Recipes

Blending green smoothies without leafy chunks

By: Jen Hansard | last Updated: 12.18.2013 | COMMENTS: 48

Do you ever watch your smoothie blend for one, maybe two, minutes waiting impatiently for the leafy chunks to disappear from your green smoothie? You’re not alone! It’s never fun to try drinking green smoothies that leave little green bits in between your teeth. The good news? It doesn’t take an industrial blender to get rid of leafy chunks! You just have to make a simple adjustment to the way you blend.

4 Steps to Eliminate Leafy Green Chunks

SGS_numbers_1
Place leafy greens and liquid into blender pitcher (nothing else just yet!).

SGS_numbers_2
Blend until mixture is a green and juice-like consistency.

SGS_numbers_3
Stop blender and add the remaining ingredients to blender pitcher.

SGS_numbers_4
Blend again— until the whole smoothie is a creamy consistency.

It’s that easy!

Whether you have a $30 Oster blender, or a high-powered industrial blender, you can drink green smoothies without leafy chunks. Want more good news? You can follow this same process for fruits/veggies that are more difficult to blend. You may not completely pulverize those pesky pomegranate seeds, but your green smoothie will be less gritty if you blend them with liquid first. Cheers!

p.s. Want the recipe shown above? It’s our Pomegranate Citrus Punch. Find the recipe HERE.

Tags:    /   Categories: Cooking Tips, Smoothies

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Ava says:

I love this challenge, it’s great for someone who wants to wake up feeling ready to start the day. I have do two days so far and its made me feel more positive and fit, thank you very much x

2. Cha Cha says:

Hi, I’m having a hard time not seeing kale chunks. I have a Ninja and tried this. The smoothie taste good but imchewung on kale. I tried the above instructions as well.

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Cha Cha,

Hmm did you make sure to rip off all the kale stems before putting them into the blender? If you haven’t that will probably make a huge difference. Also I would try blending for a longer period of time.

Hope that helps!

• Melisa says:

I have the same problem with the ninja. Regardless of how long I let it go for it doesn’t completely blend

3. Clara says:

Hello,

I’ve been drinking smoothies made mostly with fruit, so I’m not a complete novice. However, I wanted to try to incorporate more veggies in my diet. I remembered seeing a simple green smoothie recipe from a flyer in the newspaper several months ago. I “Googled it” and that’s how I discovered your website. I’ve also downloaded the app! I am on day two of the 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge! I’m very excited to try all of the Green Smoothie recipes! So far, so good! The app is an awesome tool for great tips and recipes. Keep up the GREAT work!!

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Hey Clara,

That is so amazing that you were able to find us that way. Yay!!! Sounds like you are a smoothie rawkstar already. So proud of you for taking that step on your own. We are honored to play a small part in your health journey.

Cheers!!

4. Linda says:

I was surprised with the Day 1 smoothie. I thought with all of the fruit that it would be really sweet. My husband tried a little and thought it tasted like watermelon rind. Also, the recipe made a large drink, so I froze 1/2 for day 2 (so the 7 day smoothies will last 14 days). I want to do this correctly — is it important to eat the whole drink each day? Thanks.

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Hey Linda,

Feel free to add less greens and more fruit if you need to make it sweeter tasting. If you are too full from the smoothie then that is totally fine. You could put it in a glass airtight container and keep it in the fridge.

Hope that helps!

5. Taishan says:

All is going well on Day 2.
    I join that Aaptiv to get a workout to go with this time. I have problems download the exercise. Did anyone else have that same problem?

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

HI Taishan,

Oh no! I’m so sorry you’re having trouble accessing the Aaptiv workouts. Reach out to them at [email protected] They have an amazing support team + will make sure you’re ready to rawk!

6. Martha says:

I love the idea of prepping ahead of time, but how soon after blending must i drink it? Also I have IBS and battle with bloating. Which greens can I have

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Martha,

We love prepping! Once you blend your green smoothie it will keep in your refrigerator for up to two days in a sealed container. Adding a small amount of lemon juice will help preserve all of their green goodness!

Concerned about IBS and leafy greens? We suggest reaching out to your physician. They’re the best source to determine if our recipes are the right choice for you + your body!

7. Michelle says:

Thanks!! I am definitely going to try this. I think it may be the fix to my sometimes having chunky smoothies mainly when I use Kale.

8. Tania says:

My daughter is gtube fed. I want to add kale and other fresh stuff. What do you suggest for constipation?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Tania!

Thanks for reaching out! Fruits and veggies, in general, are packed with fiber which is great for helping with regularity. Raspberries, oranges, and almonds (due to high magnesium content) can be particularly helpful for relieving constipation.

However, since we are not doctors, we absolutely recommend speaking with your daughter’s health care provider to determine what would be best for her, personally. Everybody is so different :).

9. loree says:

Once you have blended your greens in water Can you freeze it in an ice cube tray and then add the greens frozen cube to the smoothie?
    Just a thought

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Loree!

Thanks for reaching out! You can totally do that :). I love to do that with fresh herbs, as well!

10. rossy says:

Can have the smoothie while breastfeeding and also while still.having regular Meals.

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Rossy,

Thanks for reaching out! Green smoothies are a great way to fuel you + baby while breastfeeding! Just avoid the starchy veggies because that could cause gas for you and your little one (carrots, sweet potato, broccoli), etc. Also try not to eat anything 30 minutes before or after your green smoothie to allow the fruits to digest in your body quickly.

11. Norma says:

I’m trying to get my husband to drink at least one green smoothie a day but I have encountered the problem with him having an allergic reaction to any type of veggie/fruit that contains potassium. Any suggestions?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Norma,

Thank you so much for reaching out. If you’re looking for fruits free of potassium bananas are definitely out of the question. Some great banana substitutes are mango, papaya, pears, chia seeds, nut butters, fresh dates, unsweetened applesauce, + avocado (won’t add sweetness, but the creaminess we love).

We also suggest working with your doctor to help determine which fruits + veggies are the right choice for him + his body.

Cheers.

12. Yewande says:

Hey Ladies,

Please can one make smoothie with Cauliflower and broccoli? if yes, any advise on how to make it an interesting one.

Many thanks

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Yewande,

We love blending with broccoli, I personally haven’t blended with cauliflower. But love the idea!

Try adding broccoli or cauliflower to our Pineapple, Kale, Coconut Oil Green Smoothie for a super green powerhouse!

13. Rachel says:

What if you have frozen leafy greens, will this also work?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Rachel,

It definitely will! Are you blendin’ with frozen greens from your grocery aisle or those you haven frozen yourself. Personally, we love freezing our own greens, it’s perfect for stocking up when your favorites are in season, or even better on sale!

Learn more here…

14. ANGELA tHOMAS says:

CANT USE GRAPEFUIT CONFLICT WITH BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICINE. WOULD THE AFFECT THE RESULTS I GET?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Angela,

It’s definitely important to work with your doctor to ensure our recipes are the right choice for you + your body, especially when it comes to medications. Can’t have grapefruit? Swap in another citrus you enjoy!

Cheers 🙂

15. Sarah Z. says:

Hi! I have been making your smoothies (YUM!) and I find when I do grapefruit, oranges, and dates I get a ton of chunks. Am I doing something wrong? I don’t run into this with frozen fruit like pineapples, mangos, strawberries. Help!

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for reaching out. Grapefruit + oranges can be pulpy, while dates can leave pieces in your green smoothie. You’re definitely not alone. To help, we suggest soaking your dates prior to blending to help soften them. You can also add your dates with your leafy greens and liquid base to help give them an added blast. You can do the same when blending citrus, adding them early, to give them more time to breakdown.

Hope this helps!

• Donna says:

With adding dates to smoothies couldn’t you prep them in hot or boiling water first, brings out more flavour and mixes in muffin and date bread. I’m just getting started in making smoothies. what would happen if you just put finely grated orange or grapefruit peel in there as well.
        I know if your on most high blood pressure they say not to have any form of grapefruit as it could cause a stroke.

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Donna,

Soaking your dates in warm or hot water is a great way to soften them prior to blending!

Interested in adding citrus peel to your green smoothie! We love it! Citrus peels are high in powerful antioxidants called super-flavonoids which can contribute to reducing “bad” cholesterol, and are over 20 times more powerful than those found in the juice. While citrus peel is packed with vitamin C, riboflavin, vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and potassium, the natural oils can be tough on your stomach so we suggest starting small (especially because citrus zest adds a major flavor boost to your green smoothie).

Learn more about our favorite peels to add to your next green smoothie here…

Worried about grapefruit and high blood pressure? It’s always important to reach out to your physician to ensure our recipes are the right choice for you + your body.

16. Tazje says:

I now have 3 blenders because I thought is was the blender. Soooo with this article and my new ninja pro I’m ready to start my January challenge.
    Thanks

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Tazje,

We’re so happy our article could help point you in the right direction and have you all set for our January 30-Day Challenge. It’s a good thing to have 3 blenders! Invite your friends over to try our challenge with you!

Cheers 🙂

17. suzanne says:

Thx so much..i was also going to buy and expensive blender. Looking foreward today to blending the greens first

18. Gail says:

I, too, thought I needed a new blender. Thanks for the useful tip!

19. Brianna says:

Thank you sooo much for this post! I was literally on my way to the store today to buy a new expensive blender so I could get started with my green smoothie journey. I’ve been making them for the past year with my Nutribullet (which I love) but it’s just too small. And I didn’t even consider using my regular old blender; it’s been collecting dust in the cabinet for a year. I hated how it never fully blended the greens. I almost gave up on green smoothies because of it! But I just dusted it off, blended the greens+water first (I admit, I was a bit skeptical!) and then added my mangoes, pineapples+bananas (thanks for the #beginnersluck recipe!) and voila, PERFECT SMOOTH GREEN SMOOTHIE! I even did a happy dance 🙂

20. Lettie says:

I have just a plain blender that I bought from Costco and I blend my liquids and green first like they tell you too and then add my fruit and blend blend blend and my smoothies are always smooth with no chunks. Love my smoothies

21. Rosanne says:

how do you make a smoothie thicker (creamier) without adding protien powder. Tried to make a smoothie for my afternoon snack- kale, 1/2 banana, a little almond milk, cinnamon. Made it yesterday morning-gave it a real good shake and tried to drink this afternoon – it was horrible had to throw it away…. help

thanks

• Victoria says:

Hi Roseanne
      I actually made a small pack for different day(all the veges and fruits, minus milk any powder, any chia seed etc) and just put them in the freezer. Your smoothie will be so thick and creamy, sometimes you might need to add an extra 1/2 cup of water

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Rosanne.

Here is a link I think should help. https://simplegreensmoothies.com/creamy

22. Diane says:

I bought a Vitamix a few weeks ago….so I can throw pretty much anything in there and not worry about any chunks. I love this thing!!!

23. Kim says:

Thank you so much for this little tid bit. I was doing a lot of chewing!!!

24. Jaime says:

I am so SO happy that you posted this! I seriously never would have thought to blend up the greens first. It works like a charm, thank you! I’m totally going to link up to you on my blog, you have such awesome tips and recipes. 🙂

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE