7-DAY RESET IS HERE
TOP WINTER RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Blending green smoothies without leafy chunks

Do you ever watch your smoothie blend for one, maybe two, minutes waiting impatiently for the leafy chunks to disappear from your green smoothie? You’re not alone! It’s never fun to try drinking green smoothies that leave little green bits in between your teeth. The good news? It doesn’t take an industrial blender to get rid of leafy chunks! You just have to make a simple adjustment to the way you blend.

4 Steps to Eliminate Leafy Green Chunks

SGS_numbers_1
Place leafy greens and liquid into blender pitcher (nothing else just yet!).

SGS_numbers_2
Blend until mixture is a green and juice-like consistency.

SGS_numbers_3
Stop blender and add the remaining ingredients to blender pitcher.

SGS_numbers_4
Blend again— until the whole smoothie is a creamy consistency.

It’s that easy!

Whether you have a $30 Oster blender, or a high-powered industrial blender, you can drink green smoothies without leafy chunks. Want more good news? You can follow this same process for fruits/veggies that are more difficult to blend. You may not completely pulverize those pesky pomegranate seeds, but your green smoothie will be less gritty if you blend them with liquid first. Cheers!

p.s. Want the recipe shown above? It’s our Pomegranate Citrus Punch. Find the recipe HERE.

Transform your health with tasty recipes + meal plans that fuel your body so you're able to go after your passions no matter what stage of life you're in.

Plant-Powered Meal Planner
learn more

7-DAY WINTER RESET

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Jaime

February 23rd, 2014 at 11:22 pm

I am so SO happy that you posted this! I seriously never would have thought to blend up the greens first. It works like a charm, thank you! I’m totally going to link up to you on my blog, you have such awesome tips and recipes. 🙂

2. Kim

March 28th, 2014 at 11:28 am

Thank you so much for this little tid bit. I was doing a lot of chewing!!!

3. Diane

April 6th, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I bought a Vitamix a few weeks ago….so I can throw pretty much anything in there and not worry about any chunks. I love this thing!!!

4. Rosanne

October 2nd, 2014 at 12:20 pm

how do you make a smoothie thicker (creamier) without adding protien powder. Tried to make a smoothie for my afternoon snack- kale, 1/2 banana, a little almond milk, cinnamon. Made it yesterday morning-gave it a real good shake and tried to drink this afternoon – it was horrible had to throw it away…. help

thanks

5. Victoria

October 2nd, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Hi Roseanne
    I actually made a small pack for different day(all the veges and fruits, minus milk any powder, any chia seed etc) and just put them in the freezer. Your smoothie will be so thick and creamy, sometimes you might need to add an extra 1/2 cup of water

6. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 3rd, 2014 at 9:10 am

Hey Rosanne.

Here is a link I think should help. https://simplegreensmoothies.com/creamy

7. Lettie

October 3rd, 2014 at 4:45 am

I have just a plain blender that I bought from Costco and I blend my liquids and green first like they tell you too and then add my fruit and blend blend blend and my smoothies are always smooth with no chunks. Love my smoothies

8. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 3rd, 2014 at 8:50 am

Wonderful. Glad it is working for you! 🙂

9. Brianna

November 17th, 2014 at 8:40 am

Thank you sooo much for this post! I was literally on my way to the store today to buy a new expensive blender so I could get started with my green smoothie journey. I’ve been making them for the past year with my Nutribullet (which I love) but it’s just too small. And I didn’t even consider using my regular old blender; it’s been collecting dust in the cabinet for a year. I hated how it never fully blended the greens. I almost gave up on green smoothies because of it! But I just dusted it off, blended the greens+water first (I admit, I was a bit skeptical!) and then added my mangoes, pineapples+bananas (thanks for the #beginnersluck recipe!) and voila, PERFECT SMOOTH GREEN SMOOTHIE! I even did a happy dance 🙂

10. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 17th, 2014 at 10:02 am

We are doing the happy dance with you, Brianna. 🙂

11. Gail

November 17th, 2014 at 10:01 am

I, too, thought I needed a new blender. Thanks for the useful tip!

12. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 28th, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Glad it help, Gail. 🙂

13. suzanne

February 18th, 2015 at 4:18 am

Thx so much..i was also going to buy and expensive blender. Looking foreward today to blending the greens first

14. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 18th, 2015 at 9:05 am

Cheers + enjoy!

15. Tazje

December 29th, 2015 at 6:10 pm

I now have 3 blenders because I thought is was the blender. Soooo with this article and my new ninja pro I’m ready to start my January challenge.
    Thanks

16. SGS Rawkstar

December 30th, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Hi Tazje,

We’re so happy our article could help point you in the right direction and have you all set for our January 30-Day Challenge. It’s a good thing to have 3 blenders! Invite your friends over to try our challenge with you!

Cheers 🙂

17. Sarah Z.

January 4th, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Hi! I have been making your smoothies (YUM!) and I find when I do grapefruit, oranges, and dates I get a ton of chunks. Am I doing something wrong? I don’t run into this with frozen fruit like pineapples, mangos, strawberries. Help!

18. SGS Rawkstar

January 5th, 2016 at 10:40 am

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for reaching out. Grapefruit + oranges can be pulpy, while dates can leave pieces in your green smoothie. You’re definitely not alone. To help, we suggest soaking your dates prior to blending to help soften them. You can also add your dates with your leafy greens and liquid base to help give them an added blast. You can do the same when blending citrus, adding them early, to give them more time to breakdown.

Hope this helps!

19. Donna

July 24th, 2016 at 10:28 pm

With adding dates to smoothies couldn’t you prep them in hot or boiling water first, brings out more flavour and mixes in muffin and date bread. I’m just getting started in making smoothies. what would happen if you just put finely grated orange or grapefruit peel in there as well.
    I know if your on most high blood pressure they say not to have any form of grapefruit as it could cause a stroke.

20. SGS Rawkstar

July 25th, 2016 at 7:39 am

Hi Donna,

Soaking your dates in warm or hot water is a great way to soften them prior to blending!

Interested in adding citrus peel to your green smoothie! We love it! Citrus peels are high in powerful antioxidants called super-flavonoids which can contribute to reducing “bad” cholesterol, and are over 20 times more powerful than those found in the juice. While citrus peel is packed with vitamin C, riboflavin, vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and potassium, the natural oils can be tough on your stomach so we suggest starting small (especially because citrus zest adds a major flavor boost to your green smoothie).

Learn more about our favorite peels to add to your next green smoothie here…

Worried about grapefruit and high blood pressure? It’s always important to reach out to your physician to ensure our recipes are the right choice for you + your body.

21. ANGELA tHOMAS

January 4th, 2016 at 7:39 pm

CANT USE GRAPEFUIT CONFLICT WITH BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICINE. WOULD THE AFFECT THE RESULTS I GET?

22. SGS Rawkstar

January 5th, 2016 at 10:49 am

Hi Angela,

It’s definitely important to work with your doctor to ensure our recipes are the right choice for you + your body, especially when it comes to medications. Can’t have grapefruit? Swap in another citrus you enjoy!

Cheers 🙂

23. Rachel

January 8th, 2016 at 8:33 pm

What if you have frozen leafy greens, will this also work?

24. SGS Rawkstar

January 11th, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Hi Rachel,

It definitely will! Are you blendin’ with frozen greens from your grocery aisle or those you haven frozen yourself. Personally, we love freezing our own greens, it’s perfect for stocking up when your favorites are in season, or even better on sale!

Learn more here…

25. Yewande

January 18th, 2016 at 5:27 am

Hey Ladies,

Please can one make smoothie with Cauliflower and broccoli? if yes, any advise on how to make it an interesting one.

Many thanks

26. SGS Rawkstar

January 18th, 2016 at 8:21 am

Hi Yewande,

We love blending with broccoli, I personally haven’t blended with cauliflower. But love the idea!

Try adding broccoli or cauliflower to our Pineapple, Kale, Coconut Oil Green Smoothie for a super green powerhouse!

27. Norma

February 13th, 2016 at 8:59 am

I’m trying to get my husband to drink at least one green smoothie a day but I have encountered the problem with him having an allergic reaction to any type of veggie/fruit that contains potassium. Any suggestions?

28. SGS Rawkstar

February 14th, 2016 at 11:44 am

Hi Norma,

Thank you so much for reaching out. If you’re looking for fruits free of potassium bananas are definitely out of the question. Some great banana substitutes are mango, papaya, pears, chia seeds, nut butters, fresh dates, unsweetened applesauce, + avocado (won’t add sweetness, but the creaminess we love).

We also suggest working with your doctor to help determine which fruits + veggies are the right choice for him + his body.

Cheers.

29. rossy

March 24th, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Can have the smoothie while breastfeeding and also while still.having regular Meals.

30. SGS Rawkstar

March 24th, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Hi Rossy,

Thanks for reaching out! Green smoothies are a great way to fuel you + baby while breastfeeding! Just avoid the starchy veggies because that could cause gas for you and your little one (carrots, sweet potato, broccoli), etc. Also try not to eat anything 30 minutes before or after your green smoothie to allow the fruits to digest in your body quickly.

1 2

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25