FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

6 Energy-boosting ingredients for green smoothies

If you’re like me, you would do anything for more energy through the day. Chasing around two kiddos, cleaning the house, and getting all of our meals prepped for the day… Whew! By 2 pm, I crash, which makes me reach for the unhealthy coffee drinks to get me through the day. Put that coffee or energy drink down, I say!

BoostEnergyGraphicFinal-01

Supercharge your green smoothie

We’ve got 6 all-natural fresh fruits, veggies and boosters to reach for to give yourself a natural burst of energy that will help supercharge your body for the whole day!

Bananas

This yellow beauty comes with a boatload of natural energy. Loaded with potassium, fiber and b vitamins, bananas are a great pre and post workout fuel as well as a crazy nutritious snack.

Berries

A cup of berries gives your body a good amount of healthy Vitamin C. This is great for a natural boost of energy and is filled with fiber—great for keeping things moving regularly. Check out this post for our 5 top berry picks.

Citrus Fruits

These vitamin C powerhouses provide a quick burst of energy and endurance. Citrus fruits are easy to add to any green smoothie by squeezing the juice from a half of lemons or limes or tossing in some peeled oranges or clementines to your recipes. We love adding these 8 citrus fruits to our blenders for a burst of Vitamin C.

Leafy Greens

The powerhouse of veggies, leafy greens contain vitamins A, C, K, Magnesium, Iron and the almighty B which all provide natural energy and keeps your energy levels up and running throughout the day. Check out this post for all the wonderful leafy green options.

Nuts

Full of magnesium, most nuts provide a quick pick-me-up and help to keep you there. Instead of reaching for a cup of coffee, reach for a handful of your favorite nuts. *tip* Be kind to your tummy and blender. Soaking nuts in water the night before helps with digestion and is also easier for your blender to chop them up without hurting the blades.

Seeds

Chia and Sunflower seeds help regulate your blood sugar giving you energy throughout the day. They’re a great source of fiber and protein and you can’t beat that crunch factor. Here’s our top 6 reasons why we love chia seeds.

Keep a handful of these items on hand at all times if you’re struggling with keeping your energy-levels up. You’ll thank yourself later!

What are your favorite natural energy boosters?

Share what works well for you in the comments below.

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Tosha says:

Heather, did you know 90% of Soy products are Genetically Modified? Soy beans, corn….look it up!

2. Leah Brooks says:

I’m excited to do this — I have tons of lettuce, Swiss chard, and spinach in my gardens. I also have a lot of broccoli and cauliflower and I found that broc and cauli leaves are wonderful in the green smoothies too 🙂

3. tamara says:

hi, i was wondering what is a good substitute for bananas. I really can not eat them and all but 1 juice for the first week has bananas in them.

thanks

4. Heather says:

Curious of your views on dairy and/or why none of your smoothies contain yogurt?

• Great question! We’ve talked with a lot of nutritionists and milk isn’t all that it’s been hyped up to be. Dairy is one of the highest diet allergies (and often goes undiagnosed), yet can cause inflammation and infections. And if you aren’t buying organic milk, you’re also getting doses of antibiotics, hormones, etc that can tip your own body out of whack. So we just avoid milk for our family (and opt for almond milk). We get our calcium from plant-based sources mainly— broccoli, spinach and kale.

It’s definitely a personal choice, and you just have to decide what works best for you and your family.

5. Nancy R says:

I oven roast sweet potatoes or butternut squash. Freeze them by spreading on a cookie sheet, then place them in a bag so I can add them by the handful to my green smoothie. When roasted both become sweet and creamy so blend well. Really go well with Kale and other goodies in my green smoothie. Love your site!!!

6. Lina Cruz says:

Good Morning
    I was just wondering what can I do if Im allergic to Avocado’s?
    Thanks 🙂

7. Juli says:

Hi there,
    somewhere else I read that too much spinach and kale is not good because of something in there that can be toxic if consumed too much (forgot what it was). Is the next week after the first one include different greens?

Also, how do you keep your kale and spinach fresh for a week, I always seem to buy kale that goes bad after 2 days – it gets brown and starts to smell. Suggestions?

• Amy says:

I had a big bag of kale and spread it out on a cookie sheet, flash froze it (put it in freezer for 1/2hour) then put them in individual zipper bags (enough for 1serving) and put them in the freezer. Now I have it pre measured for my smoothie and it’s frozen which helps keep the smoothie cool!

• Elizabeth H. says:

Thank you SO much for this tip!! I have been so bummed to open bags of kale and spinach that I had purchased a day or 2 prior only to get hit in the face with that awful “swampy” smell. I will definitely try this.

• Hi Juli!
      Changing between spinach and kale during a one month period will be fine. You shouldn’t have to worry about any negative effects. You can always switch out any of the leafy greens for another kind! Here’s a list of our favorites:

• Elka says:

Hi Juli!

I dampen a newspaper page and wrap my leafy green in it before I place them in my refrigerator. They last twice as long!

8. Hooi See says:

Stumbled upon this and really want to start a new routine. Eating and drinking more healthily. Never liked kale but will give it another go in a smoothie. Off grocery shopping today. Can’t wait to start!

9. Keli says:

Is it possible to also make the shopping lists and recipes in a pdf….I want to print them but don’t want to print all of the email….or did I miss that somewhere.

10. Fab says:

Hi

Just received the recipes for day 1. I know everything is measured in cups in the US, but for those of us who don’t use cup measures, how much is a cup in grams please so I know how much of each ingredient to put in?

Thanks

Fab

• Brenda says:

It’s a little over 200 grams 🙂

• Heidi says:

Unfortunately it’s very difficult to convert cups to grams, since cups are a volume measurement and grams are a weight measurement. For example, one cup of spinach would translate into a lot less grams than one cup of almonds or mangoes.

11. Briget says:

I’m going to really have a hard time with the challenge. I’m allergic to oranges, berries and nuts. I’m not sure if they will taste the same or have the same energy boosting effect.

• He Briget!
      Please feel free to substitute anything you are allergic to for other fruits/ingredients that you aren’t allergic to. For oranges, find something else that is sweet and tangy. For berries, use something that is slightly less sweet and a bit tart. For nuts, use something that will boost protein… like chia seeds! Please don’t feel like you have to have the recipes exactly how they are!

12. Veronia says:

Merry Christmas to all and a Healthy New Year!

13. Karen says:

Do not open the email. Just scroll down and the recipes and shopping list are there. If you open the email, they are not.

• Jadah S says:

Hi Karen, why would you not open the email to get the shopping list? Just don’t want anyone being confused on how to find their shopping list and recipes. 🙂

• Karen says:

Sorry! I am not so technologically savvy. I found my list and recipes
        by scrolling down the email. However, if I “clicked” on the email, the grocery list and recipes were not there. I am excited to be part of the challenge, but will leave computer help to others! 🙂

14. cathy says:

Hey Carol!
    I just received my email and everything is way at the bottom if you keep scrolling down. If you did not receive an email I would email the ladies hope that helps have a good one!

15. Carol says:

I am not finding the recipes for the 1st weeks Challenge Help !
    Carol

• Jadah S says:

Make sure to check your spam or promotions folder. But if you’re on this page, I’m assuming you clicked on it from an email from us. If so, just scroll down to the bottom of that email to see the shopping list and recipes. 🙂

1 2 3

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE