FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

6 Energy-boosting ingredients for green smoothies

If you’re like me, you would do anything for more energy through the day. Chasing around two kiddos, cleaning the house, and getting all of our meals prepped for the day… Whew! By 2 pm, I crash, which makes me reach for the unhealthy coffee drinks to get me through the day. Put that coffee or energy drink down, I say!

BoostEnergyGraphicFinal-01

Supercharge your green smoothie

We’ve got 6 all-natural fresh fruits, veggies and boosters to reach for to give yourself a natural burst of energy that will help supercharge your body for the whole day!

Bananas

This yellow beauty comes with a boatload of natural energy. Loaded with potassium, fiber and b vitamins, bananas are a great pre and post workout fuel as well as a crazy nutritious snack.

Berries

A cup of berries gives your body a good amount of healthy Vitamin C. This is great for a natural boost of energy and is filled with fiber—great for keeping things moving regularly. Check out this post for our 5 top berry picks.

Citrus Fruits

These vitamin C powerhouses provide a quick burst of energy and endurance. Citrus fruits are easy to add to any green smoothie by squeezing the juice from a half of lemons or limes or tossing in some peeled oranges or clementines to your recipes. We love adding these 8 citrus fruits to our blenders for a burst of Vitamin C.

Leafy Greens

The powerhouse of veggies, leafy greens contain vitamins A, C, K, Magnesium, Iron and the almighty B which all provide natural energy and keeps your energy levels up and running throughout the day. Check out this post for all the wonderful leafy green options.

Nuts

Full of magnesium, most nuts provide a quick pick-me-up and help to keep you there. Instead of reaching for a cup of coffee, reach for a handful of your favorite nuts. *tip* Be kind to your tummy and blender. Soaking nuts in water the night before helps with digestion and is also easier for your blender to chop them up without hurting the blades.

Seeds

Chia and Sunflower seeds help regulate your blood sugar giving you energy throughout the day. They’re a great source of fiber and protein and you can’t beat that crunch factor. Here’s our top 6 reasons why we love chia seeds.

Keep a handful of these items on hand at all times if you’re struggling with keeping your energy-levels up. You’ll thank yourself later!

What are your favorite natural energy boosters?

Share what works well for you in the comments below.

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Rosa says:

I’m so happy I came across this website. I just love it. I’m enjoying some of the recipies and the many tips I recieve. Never knew we freeze veggies. Thanks I will recomand this to my friends. Keep up the good work.

2. Hi Jadah,

I am very much inspired by you website. Thanks for sharing all these recipes.
    I have recently started blogging about food recipes too 🙂

Please advise me for improvements.

3. Judi says:

Hi there,

I started this challenge on Saturday and totally love my smoothies! Only problem is I am ravenous after 2 hours (even after eating a hard boiled egg about 45 minutes after drinking smoothie). My intention was to have a smoothie for breakfast and dinner with a normal meal at lunch but I’m about to nibble on a low flying duck in between. Any suggestions on healthy snacks in between?

• Ha ha! Can I borrow that low flying duck expression? Pretty funny 🙂 Here are some of our favorite options:

-Handful of nuts (like almonds)
      -Hard boiled egg (great protein!)
      -Granola

Those are just a few 🙂

• Judi says:

Thanks for the snackie ideas!

You’re welcome to use the expression 🙂

• Linda says:

Hi. I have found that adding an avocado (whole or half), or a banana or some rolled oats seem to help keep me full for a longer period of time. Try it. Hope it helps! Ps. I am loving the green smoothies! Have lost weight and blood sugars have come down. Thanks!

4. One of my favorite things to add in to my smoothies is maca powder — it has a nice “malty” flavor and is a great superfood addition!

5. Kathie M. says:

Isn’t cacao and cocoa the same thing? I can’t consume chocolate because it is a migraine trigger. So I was looking for a substitute.

6. Kathie M. says:

Do you know if chia seeds contain caffeine and is there a substitute I can use for cacao powder. Would carob powder be a good substitute for cacao powder?

• We like substituting unsweetened cocoa for cacao, unless you meant you didn’t like the flavor of cacao…

To our knowledge, chia seeds do not contain caffeine.

Hope this helps!

7. Regina says:

I am using Aloe Vera Juice as my liquid base. Itbis working out great.

8. Melissa Serna says:

Can I use grocery store orange juice instead of fresh squeezed oj?

9. Melissa Serna says:

If I’m making my smoothies with grocery store orange juice is this okay? I don’t have the time to sqeeze oranges.

10. Charlotte says:

Approximately how many calories in the green smoothie 30dy challenge ? Thanks Charlotte

• Hi Charlotte!
      We currently don’t track the amount of calories for our smoothies. Each smoothie is two servings, and a couple good sources to track nutritional info are the websites/apps: My Fitness Pal and Lose It.

Hope this helps!

11. cindy says:

I have seen tips on freezing spinach and kale, but my question is do you wash it or blanch it first?
    Also if fresh fruit is not available is frozen or canned better?
    Thanks

• Heather says:

Good question, also curious about the blanching (as I’m looking for ways to get my greens blend better, making it smoother). I would definitely always wash your greens, even if they are pre-packaged. Last night I just washed and chopped kale and put (pre-measured) into some tupperware and threw it in the freezer. Trader Joe’s sells frozen kale too which I’ve used and it so easy. Frozen fruit is better than canned, but the only canned fruit I like to use is pineapple because fresh isn’t always available and it’s a pain to cut up.

• We prefer to rinse, pat dry, and freeze the leafy greens in a freezer bag or container 🙂

12. Rhonda says:

Made my first green smoothie this morning with stuff I had in the house: spinach, raspberries and mango. It was fantastic but I warn anybody now who uses raspberries: the colour will be a major turn off! I almost didn’t drink it, but was glad I did.

Do you recommend peeling apples for these recipes?

13. Trudy says:

On the subject of milk, humans are the only mammal that consume milk from other mammals or consume it past weaning. All others that we bottle feed get formula based on their own species’ needs. Food for thought.

14. Jennifer says:

I’m breastfeeding and am aware I can’t detox right now but I’m curious if drinking two green smoothies a day is okay? I would assume it is…

15. Jennifer says:

I’m allergic to avocados, do you have a suggested substitute?

1 2 3

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE