Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Green Smoothie Hack: Freeze Leafy Greens

Breakfast: the most important meal of the day.

We’ve all heard this from our moms, grandmoms, teachers, or friends. But do we agree? Kale yeah we do!

But that all depends on what you eat for breakfast. Try swapping a bagel and coffee for a green smoothie and you will feel supercharged and finally understand why breakfast is so important.

If you spend most mornings rushing just to make sure you’re dressed and on time for work (and getting the kids ready if you’ve got ‘em), walking out your door with a healthy breakfast in your hand ain’t easy. We are both busy moms ourselves, and ran into this problem in our early green smoothie blending days.

FreezingLeafyGreens_600_7

In the past few years, however, we’ve figured out a fabulous #smoothiehack to help you get blending, and sipping that leafy green goodness no matter how hectic your morning. (That way, you can spend those extra minutes tucking a note in someone’s lunchbox, or making sure you remember your water bottle.)

Ready? Here’s our secret: we started freezing leafy greens.

We know, we know. It sounds so simple! But the payoff is major, people—for your health, and your wallet, because it helps you avoid wasting tasty veggies and greens.

We typically use fresh greens for a couple days right after we go grocery shopping. Then, we measure out two cups of greens into each freezer bag, and toss ‘em on in the freezer. Then, as we run around making sure little teeth are brushed and school clothes are on, all we have to do is grab a bag of frozen greens and dump them in the blender!

Yep, that means no more bleary-eyed battles with the measuring cups. Greens stay good in the freezer for a couple of months instead of a week in the fridge. Boom! We know you love saving time and money as much as we do, Rawkstar!

How to freeze leafy greens

Spinach, kale, and chard all freeze beautifully. And, if you freeze your greens in one big batch instead of 2 cup quantities, just make sure to note that 2 cups of fresh greens equals 1 ½ cups of frozen greens.

note: While frozen greens are fantastic for smoothies, don’t use them for your salads… you’ll be very disappointed! (Turns out, ice chunks aren’t as fun as croutons.)

Step 1 ::

Wash the greens well. To help remove any bugs, add a little white vinegar to the water and swish well. Shake to remove excess water, pat, or spin dry.

LeafyGreens_560Logo

Step 2 ::

Remove the leaves from the stems (if there are large stems present, like kale), and chop or tear leaves into pieces. To do this quickly, hold the stem in one hand and run the other one along the stem to rip the leaves away from the stalk. (Some blenders can handle the stems, but others can’t. Do what works best for you!)

LeafyGreens_560Logo3

Step 3 ::

Label bags with the amount and type of green. Adding the date can be helpful if these will be stored for a while.

LeafyGreens_560Logo10

Step 4 ::

Measure out greens into BPA-free, freezer-safe bags or containers. Squeeze out as much air as possible and seal.

LeafyGreens_560Logo4
LeafyGreens_560Logo7

Step 5 ::

Pop the bags into the freezer and store until ready to use.

Hint: if we’re feeling extra organized, we measure out the frozen fruit for each smoothie and add it to the bag of greens before we freeze. You can check out our make ahead smoothie prep tips here.)

We want to know:

Do you have a favorite smoothie hack? If you do, share it with us in the comments below. We always love hearing from you guys!

Comment+

1. Megan

June 18th, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I lightly steam my Kale and Spinach, and freeze in ice cube trays. It is super easy to throw a couple green cubes in my smoothies, or in soups, or sauces.

2. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Green cubes are rawesome! Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe? We’d love to try it out 🙂

3. JJ

June 18th, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Great article! We should encourage people to use reusable containers over one-use disposable plastic bags though… Or just use the ice cube trick that many suggested above!

4. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Hi JJ,

Thanks for being so green! Plastic bags like the ones shown above can be reused to freeze the same ingredients over and over again. We should definitely switch over to something a little hardier and longer lasting though! Great call 🙂

5. Helen Gross

June 18th, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I no longer purchase fresh greens, too much waste. I buy frozen cut spinach, and kale, plus frozen blueberries, mangos and peaches. Works good for me.

6. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Hi Helen!

Glad you’re saving some greens! We hate to see them go to waste!! Do you have a favorite blueberry smoothie recipe? 🙂 We’d love to try it out! Rawk on!!

7. Austin

June 18th, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I purchase greens fresh in large tubs and freeze. Later, I use a sharp knife to cut the frozen greens into useable cubes. I recently used an empty tub to pack fresh lettuce from the garden and freeze it and cut into frozen cubes.

8. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Hi Austin,

What a rawsome idea 🙂 What kind of greens do you grow? Fresh and home grown is the best!

9. Ricardo

June 18th, 2015 at 3:24 pm

For a smoother presentation of your smoothies you can also extract the liquid out of the greens (with a slow juicer) and freeze them into ice cubes. Then when you need to make a smoothie just pour the green cubes and blend. It also helps you to save on ice.

10. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for the idea! Have you tried blending greens and water at a 1:1 ratio, and freezing that as cubes? Rawk on 🙂

11. Lois

June 18th, 2015 at 5:22 pm

From the very beginning that I started having Green Smoothies, I have portioned out & froze my greens!!
    I use fresh bananas until they start turning brown then they go in the freezer.
    I also use only frozen fruit, especially in the winter because fruit is so expensive then, but in the summer it’s off the the fields to pick strawberries and raspberries, & the farmers market to get the other fruits. But I do like using frozen fruit in the summer because it makes my smoothies thick & cold!!! Yum yum love my Green Smoothies!!

12. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Hi Lois,

A nice cold green smoothie sounds great in this summer heat! Have you tried making smoothie pops yet? They’re so delicious!! 🙂

13. Lorian Rivers

June 18th, 2015 at 5:22 pm

I’ve lost too many greens…this is a great idea!

Question, how do you measure 2 cups of greens? Do you pack it down until they fit. Or just add pieces until it’s filled?

14. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Great question Lorian! We measure our greens by tightly packing them down in our measuring cup. Please don’t hesitate to ask any other questions 🙂

15. Kathy

June 18th, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I usually buy bags of fresh greens at Costco (current personal favorite is Power Deep Green Blend) and after a couple days I throw the entire bag in the freezer. Once it’s frozen, I break up the leaves and its takes up no space at all! Then instead of measuring, I use my digital kitchen scale and weigh out the greens right into the blender jar! I max out at about 80 grams before it impacts flavour. I find the frozen greens break down way better.

16. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Wow that’s a lot of greens! Thanks for the tip Kathy! 🙂

17. Tara F

June 18th, 2015 at 6:02 pm

This is an awesome idea about freezing greens. Now that I think about it back in the day when my mom and grandmother use to buy a lot of fresh collard greens and they were not going to cook them all in one sitting they would freeze them after they cleaned them. They wasn’t making smoothies but making fresh greens to cook. I am going to start doing this. I was wasting money buying all the spinach and greens and not using them fast enough they would go bad so I am going to take advantage of this. What about other vegetables like beets,cilantra, mint leaves, parsley and cucumbers? Just as long as you are only going to use them in your smoothie?

18. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Hey Tara!

Great story 🙂 My grandmother freezes everything too! Freezing fruits and veggies is a great option when buying in bulk. We freeze the fruits and veggies usually by cutting them into small pieces, placing them in airtight bags, and putting them in the freezer. Cutting your beets and cucumbers up will help lock in the taste!

SGS Rawkstar Meghan

19. Lisa

June 18th, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Excellent suggestion on freezing greens. This has saved me many times. I have a question though, If you put the greens in ice cubes, how many cubes do u use for two cups of greens? Thanks in advance.

20. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Hi Lisa,

We love saving our greens! If you’d like to freeze green ice cubes, try blendin’ water and greens at a 1:1 ratio. Try blendin’ 1 cup of greens with 1 cup of water, and pouring that in your ice tray! Let us know how that works out 🙂

21. Theresa

June 18th, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Hey gang 🙂 Too funny… When I was hunting for kale tips a few weeks back (and luckily found your fantastic website), I just assumed to freeze the greens, too. Made perfect sense to have anything you can freeze, frozen. My reasoning was the idea of not having to find out you’d run out of ice cubes! Freezing everything (after a decent wash of course) makes putting together one or two green smoothies a day a breeze! BTW we are loving them and I’m looking forward to July 1st 🙂

22. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Hi Theresa,

There you are!! We’ve been waiting for you to find us 🙂 We love freezing greens, fruits, and vegetables for nice, cold smoothies! Can’t wait for that July challenge to start! Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe?

23. Mary

June 18th, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I wash and break up the kale, put a cup of it in a container with water to cover and freeze it., Take it out of the freezer and put in the frig overnight, then dump it in the blender in the morning. Works great.

I also freeze spinach and put it in the empty frozen fruit bags that I save for this purpose.

Sure cuts down on wasted greens.

24. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Hi Mary,

What a great idea! We absolutely love our greens and hate to see them go to waste. And it sounds like that tip can help streamline blendin’ your morning smoothie 🙂

Rawk on!

25. Mary

June 18th, 2015 at 8:26 pm

That was a waste of time–where did my comments go?

26. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 3:08 pm

So sorry that you experienced an issue trying to comment- we hope everything worked out Mary!

27. Yasmin

June 18th, 2015 at 10:05 pm

I love freezing my greens! I found it really helpful to let frozen greens sit in the water or whatever liquid being used for a few minutes to let it thaw out a bit (particularly kale). When I didn’t do that I found it harder to blend the greens smooth and had more chunks of green in the end.

28. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Thanks for the tip Yasmin! We’ll definitely try that out!

29. Mimi faizah

June 18th, 2015 at 10:36 pm

You really save my days of wastage of bad green day☺️☺️☺️☺️. Was thinking on how to save my greens since i luv having kale in my end-of-month diet (reason Kale is pricey where i stay). At least i could buy them in a large quantities and freeze them well with my fruits. Thanx a bunch for this grat tips

30. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Thanks Mimi! We’re happy to help 🙂

31. Cassandra

June 20th, 2015 at 1:21 am

Sometimes I buy those 16oz plastic boxes of washed greens, and would often waste like 1/3 of the box to spoilage! I mentioned freezing them and my husband, being the manly man he is lol, just chunked the whole box in the freezer without doing anything at all. It actually worked just fine, the leaves were easy to grab handfuls of. So don’t feel the need, be lazy if you want! 😀
    Although for long term storage, removing the air and sealing better is a good idea.

32. SGS Rawkstar

June 22nd, 2015 at 4:18 am

Hi Cassandra,

I’m guilty of doing the same thing! We support any method of keeping good greens from going bad. This just happens to be our favorite method, and what we found works best for long-term storage.

Cheers,
    Rawkstar Amanda

33. Ruth

June 20th, 2015 at 4:12 am

Could I blend the greens up good with a little water and freeze in Ice cube trays? Freezer bag the cubes. Then just pop three or four cubes in the smoothie.

34. SGS Rawkstar

June 22nd, 2015 at 4:21 am

Hi Ruth,

Of course you can! We’ve heard a lot of our SGS community do the same thing, whether it’s ice cube trays or muffin tins.

35. Carlette

June 20th, 2015 at 7:19 am

When freezing green veggies,do they lose any of their nutritional value?

36. Mary Ellen

June 21st, 2015 at 11:02 am

Like any fruit or vegetable, they will lose some value. But spinach and kale are SO rich in folate and other nutrients that it is far better to freezer and eat then to have never have eaten at all.

37. SGS Rawkstar

June 22nd, 2015 at 4:23 am

Thanks for the great information, Mary Ellen!

38. SGS Rawkstar

June 22nd, 2015 at 4:22 am

Hi Carlette,

I would try to give you an answer, but I don’t think I could have said it better than Mary Ellen!

Cheers 🙂

39. Karen

June 20th, 2015 at 8:21 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing this tip. I always freeze bananas and other fruit for our smoothies. I hated throwing out the greens. I can’t even count how many half used containers of spinach I have pitched. This tip made hubby happy too!

40. SGS Rawkstar

June 22nd, 2015 at 4:24 am

Hi Karen,

We’re so happy we could provide helpful information! We hate seeing delicious + healthy leafy greens go to waste.

41. Nikki

June 20th, 2015 at 9:25 am

Thanks for the tip! We buy in bulk, but have never bought big bags of greens. Now I will try that. Since i halve your recipes just for me, I like to use half a banana and freeze the other half in my frozen fruit bags. Sometimes i pre package my smoothies, but Im not always ahead of the game 😉

42. SGS Rawkstar

June 22nd, 2015 at 4:26 am

Hi Nikki,

We love buying in bulk! It’s a great way to stock up, + it’s often easier on the wallet. Let us know how freezing your leafy greens works for you!

1 2 3 4 7
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM