The Index

Rawk out here too...

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

What to do with green smoothie fails

Oh yes… green smoothie fails. They happen to the best of us.

Every so often we go out on a limb and try a combination of ingredients that seem promising, but it’s still a big risk. It’s during those times that we come up with some fantastic recipes, but more often than not we end up with something that tastes terrible. Through these many unsuccessful attempts we have learned one thing: Never waste a failed green smoothie!

Nutrients VS. Taste

Sometimes, nutrients are more important than making your taste buds happy. That’s not the motto that we live by, but there are times when it’s necessary to plug your nose and gulp the greens. We do this because we care about our bodies, and we know that if we dump our green smoothie fails down the drain then we are in turn dumping health and money with it. If the taste is too terrible for you, though, there are a few things you can do to salvage what you’ve blended.

GSfails3

4 ways to save a green smoothie fail

• Add something sweet: Try throwing a banana or two into the mix, or maybe some dates, apples, grapes, mangoes, or peaches. Sweetening the mix may just be enough to do the trick. Learn more on how to do so here.
  • Pour contents into ice cube trays: When you freeze your smoothie in ice cube trays you can add a couple cubes to the smoothies you make the next few days (don’t worry about adjusting the recipes you add the cubes to). This helps to dilute the bad flavor, but still gives you the nutrients.
  • Save it in the fridge, and add to the next blend: You can save failed green smoothies in the fridge for a couple days in sealed containers. Simply add some of the content to the recipes that you blend for the next two days.
  • Chug it quick: Are you feeling tough enough to drink through the taste, or maybe don’t want to mess around with saving some for the future? Just plug your nose and chug!

Before dumping your next green smoothie fail down the drain, think about doing one of the four things above first!

Comment+

1. Denise

December 17th, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I keep a bottle of lime juice in the frig and a few teaspoons of that seems to make everything tastes better.

I have also sprinkled cinnamon in bad tasting smoothies with much success.

2. Lisa @ The Meaning of Me

December 17th, 2013 at 8:16 pm

These are great suggestions! I usually just do the chug it fast method if I don’t like one – the other ideas are definitely things I will try if I need them in the future!

3. Lee

December 19th, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I do the same as Denise, I just use lemon juice! Something about it really can turn it around..

4. Christine Stevens

April 14th, 2014 at 9:34 am

Worst case scenario pour them over your plants. My jade plant became so green and shiny when I poured the rinse water from my green smoothies over it.

5. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 14th, 2014 at 9:49 am

What a neat idea… Have you tried it on other plants?

6. Nina

October 7th, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Love this idea

7. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 8th, 2014 at 5:05 am

🙂

8. Maria

July 10th, 2015 at 7:08 pm

That’s a great idea!!!

9. SGS Rawkstar

July 13th, 2015 at 9:34 pm

We think so too, Maria!

10. christina q

April 14th, 2014 at 10:16 am

Perfect answer – drink it anyway! I LOVE that you listed that as an option. Just chug it down and try again tomorrow! The fails make you appreciate the winners all the more.

11. Katerina

April 14th, 2014 at 11:29 am

I have just thrown mine away after being in the fridge for 3 days. I guess the pineapple was not so fresh and I overflavoured it with coconut oil plus there was nothing sweet like banana, I put avocado instead. Really tried my best to chug, usually I succeed but this time it was just awful. If I received this 2 days ago. I might have overthought it twice :). Thanks for the tip! I safe it for the future fails!

12. Steve

July 21st, 2014 at 5:09 pm

My worst was when i tried incorporating oats. Left one serving in the fridge and it set solid!

13. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 21st, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Hey Steve!

I have had a few I have had to leave in the fridge too! 🙂

14. Linda

September 19th, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I just through one out day two days ago. Wish had see the great suggestions. Thank you!

15. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

September 19th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Thanks, Linda. Now you can try to save your next smoothie fail. 🙂

16. Megan

March 9th, 2015 at 8:43 pm

For me, the fail isn’t always the taste, but the texture. I don’t like bananas, but other fruits often come out like applesauce. Do I need to add more liquid? Less greens? Or a better blender? haha No big lumps, but often small bits or just overall thick or slightly paste-y.

17. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 10th, 2015 at 4:32 am

Try adding a frozen avocado for creaminess. 🙂 What blender are you using now?

18. Gail

July 9th, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Love the ice cube trick! Will remember that! =)

19. SGS Rawkstar

July 9th, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Rawesome, Gail!

20. Joanna B.

April 25th, 2016 at 11:05 am

I despise wasting food, so I do whatever it takes to make my Fails palatable. I’ve done whole lemons …ie, add a lemon minus the rinds and reblending the whole smoothie (more fiber & vitamin C can’t hurt?!). even dashes of cayenne pepper, garam masala, I bet other herbs/spices might work.

21. SGS Rawkstar

April 25th, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Thanks for sharing, Joanna! We love hearing how members of our community are turning smoothie fails into smoothie saves!

22. BEE.

September 5th, 2016 at 3:44 pm

I wish I would have seen this sooner. I am new to green smoothies and figured it wouldn’t be too difficult, i mean its way easier said then done. My problem is that I basically throw all different kinds of fruit and veggies in, not thinking how horrible they taste together. Plus, i try to make it healthy and add things like chia, flax, hemp seeds or protein. My boyfriend never likes them… so I end up letting them go to waste.

I will definitely do the ice cube trick and blend it in next time.

I just made a spinach, banana, strawberry and peach w/ almond milk and it tasted so bitter.
    I added some raw honey and coconut water… it totally took the bad taste away. Now its delicious.

Next time, i will follow a recipe.

23. SGS Rawkstar

September 6th, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Hi BEE,

Cheers to a rawkin’ smoothie save!

Not sure how your smoothies are going to come out? Try following our Green Smoothie Formula: 2 cups leafy greens, 2 cups liquid base, + 3 cups fruit for a delicious green smoothie!

Learn more here…

24. Bambi

October 15th, 2016 at 10:44 am

Can verify that dates have saved many a less than spectacular green smoothie/juice.
    Plug and chug works well if it’s not too thick.
    If it’s too celery tasting, well, into the slowcooker withmore veg for dinner then. Some things are just too savoury.

25. SGS Rawkstar

October 17th, 2016 at 7:45 am

Hi Bambi,

YAY! Cheers to saving green smoothies! We love the idea of using them in savory recipes too!

26. Ty

January 7th, 2017 at 9:06 am

What is a good substitute for bananas? I can’t stand the taste of them

27. Tanisha Long

January 8th, 2017 at 4:05 am

Ty, try using 1/2 an avocado in your smoothies instead of a banana. It’ll create the same creamy texture without the taste.

28. SGS Rawkstar

January 11th, 2017 at 8:10 am

Hi Ty,

Not a fan of bananas? We’ve got you covered! Some great substitutes are mango, papaya, pears, unsweetened applesauce, chia seeds, fresh dates, nut butter, and avocado (won’t add sweetness, but the creaminess we love).

Learn more about our favorite banana free recipes here!

29. Melody

September 24th, 2017 at 8:04 pm

I peel an orange cut it into chunks. Use a tablespoon to drink my smoothie and make sure there’s a chunk of an orange in every scoop.

30. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

September 26th, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Hi Melody,

Yum! We enjoying green smoothies with a spoon. Learn more about some our favorite smoothie bowls below…

31. Marilyn Ozgowicz

April 12th, 2019 at 10:20 am

Those “failed” green smoothies can be frozen, labeled and used in other recipes!
    Whether it’s as the ice to another smoothie, or in a dressing, soup, casserole….
    well, you get the idea.

32. Robin

January 28th, 2018 at 9:06 am

I have a Green Superfoods powder that has a little organic Stevia in it that helps when teethe strawberries are too sour.

33. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

January 30th, 2018 at 10:06 am

Hi Robin,

Find a recipe too tart or sour? Adding a natural sweetener is a great idea. Check out our favorites (and why we try to avoid stevia) here…

34. Jessica Gonzalez

August 24th, 2018 at 11:36 am

How much chia seeds should you put in your green smoothies?

35. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

August 27th, 2018 at 11:57 am

Hey Jessica, we usually like to add 2 tablespoons of chia seeds to our green smoothies!

Here is a great article that is all about chia seeds and how amazing it is for you 🙂

Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM