TAKE THE SMOOTHIE QUIZ

START NOW

Let us help you decide what to blend today

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Turn Your Green Smoothie Into a Meal!

Looking for green smoothie meal replacement advice? You’ve found it! Check out these tips and our formula for turning your smoothie into the perfect, healthy meal.

Green Smoothie Meal Replacement Smoothie Booster Combos
Ready to chug that green smoothie for breakfast (or lunch or dinner)?!

Before you start replacing any of your meals with green smoothies, we’ve got a few rawkstar tips and suggestions to keep you from feeling “hangry” in between meals (hungry + angry = hangry). Don’t worry, we’ve all been there!

How to turn a green smoothie into a meal

The key to replacing meals with green smoothies is including healthy fats and proteins. Healthy fats and proteins are the way to go if you want to power up with a green smoothie meal replacement. This combo will keep you feeling full and give you the energy you need to cruise right through ’til your next snack or meal. Below are our favorite options for green smoothie meal replacement boosters:

Step 1 // Pick a Plant-Based Protein

Plant-based proteins keep your body full and give you tons of energy. They also help repair your muscles, which is perfect for that post-workout buzz. Oh, kale to the yeah!

• Hemp hearts
  • Chia seeds
  • Plant-based protein powder
  • Rolled oats
  • Tofu

Step 2 // Pick a Healthy Fat

Healthy fats protect your heart, keep your energy levels up, boost metabolism, and lower bad cholesterol levels. So please don’t skip the fats. They’re actually really, really good for you! And these ingredients below make your green smoothies extra creamy.

• Avocado
  • Coconut oil
  • Almond butter
  • Chia seeds (yep, here they are again! These babies are loaded with healthy fats and protein, making them a great everyday booster)

Part 3 // Put ’em together and this is what you get…

Healthy Fat + Plant-based Protein = Meal Replacement Boosters

Green smoothies are the perfect fast food and adding these boosters will save you tons of time in the kitchen and keep you away from any drive-thru food that will wreck havoc on your body. We want you to be healthy and strong!

Use one of these meal replacement booster combos in your next green smoothie. The boosts are measured for our delicious Simple Green Smoothies recipes, which serve 2.

• 4 tablespoons hemp hearts + ½ avocado
  • 4 tablespoons plant-based protein powder + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons almond butter + ¼ cup rolled oats
  • 4 tablespoons chia seeds + 4oz silken tofu
  • 4 tablespoons chia seeds + 2 tablespoons coconut oil

You can find all of these ingredients at your local store, or even order a few online. Amazon is a perfect place to stock up on hemp hearts, plant-based protein powders, coconut oil, and chia seeds.

Note: We’re proud affiliates of Amazon, so if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products we’ve used and truly believe in. So just know, these ingredients get our Rawkstar Seal of Approval.
MealReplacement-Instagram_Blank

Need a meal replacement green smoothie recipe to get you started?

We gotcha covered! Here’s a healthy filling green smoothie to keep that “hangry” feeling at bay when drinking green smoothies as a meal replacement. You got this rawkstar!

21-day cleanse: $49

SMOOTHIE Cubes: $5

DESSERTS: $15

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our helpful guides and cleanses.

More plant-powered goodness!

7-DAY cleanse: $35

Comment+

1. Laétitia

February 26th, 2015 at 9:28 am

Hii ! I am maybe going to sound a bit dumb.. but all this new nutrition is very new for me.. About the Coconut oil, i bought some and its very consistant.. when we put it in our smoothies do we simply put it like that , or we must melt it before ?
    Thank you very much !!

2. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 26th, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Hey Laétitia, It will work either way. But if you melt it first, it will make your smoothie warm. I prefer blending it at room temperature. 🙂

3. Aleisha

February 26th, 2015 at 10:16 am

Hi!!! I love your website and smoothie recipes. Can I mix and match the protein and fats that you have listed to create my own meal replacement booster (e.g. 4 tbs plant-based protein powder + 2 tbs almond butter) or do you recommend that I stick with the combos that you suggest? I am guessing that you designed those combos for optimal nutrition…am I right?

4. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 26th, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Yes, you can. 🙂 Just make sure you have one protein + one healthy fat. 🙂

5. Terri

February 26th, 2015 at 10:27 am

I have the question that Laetita does. Do you melt the coconut oil? Or just put it in solid. I imagine that after it mixes with something cold that it will just solidify anyway.

6. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 26th, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Hey Terri.

7. Sherry

February 26th, 2015 at 11:19 am

How many calories is all this for one serving? Thanks!

8. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 26th, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Hey Sherry. I like using MyFitnessPal to track my items, so you can mix and match. 🙂

9. Janice

February 26th, 2015 at 11:19 am

YOU guys ROCK! This is exactly what I was looking for. Let’s “cook” up a Green Smoothie Meal Replacement Challenge pronto! (((Good Vibes))). Cheers!

10. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 26th, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Thanks so much, Janice! 🙂

11. sherri

February 26th, 2015 at 11:37 am

Thanks! Exactly what I was trying to figure out!

12. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 26th, 2015 at 6:23 pm

🙂 Cheers!

13. Jean

February 26th, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Dear Jadah & Jen

Firstly I would like to thank you for a great website! I’m sooo glad I found it

14. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 27th, 2015 at 10:57 am

YAY! Welcome + thanks for blending with us!

15. isty

February 27th, 2015 at 2:09 am

Yeaayyyy! this is just the thing I’ve been wanting all this time! Thanks guys..

16. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 27th, 2015 at 10:58 am

Happy to help!

17. Cheryl

February 27th, 2015 at 4:49 am

I love u girls ,I’m glad I found u girls, lots of helpful information and the smoothies are great, keep up the good work, by summer I’m gonna be a Lean Green Sexy machine , lol☺

18. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 27th, 2015 at 10:58 am

Love it! You go, Cheryl!

19. Donna

February 27th, 2015 at 4:51 am

So just the other day…I was thinking about adding oats…I HATE porridge in all form but I hear it’s for you but just hate the texture in my mouth. So glad I can try it in my smoothie for sure. Do I need to soak it in water first?
    Thanks for always keeping us HONEST out here with our health.

20. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 27th, 2015 at 10:58 am

Hey Donna.

Thanks for reaching out! Either way will work great! https://simplegreensmoothies.com/green-smoothie-recipes/meal-replacement-green-smoothie

21. Heather

February 27th, 2015 at 6:26 am

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been guessing at how much protein to add to my smoothies and had been starting to feel a bit light-headed lately.

I have been drinking 2 smoothies a day to lose weight since I did your January challenge, then did a 10 day Green Smoothie cleanse in early February. Since the cleanse I have been trying to have a mainly plant-based diet, hence the protein drop. I started using the Lose It! app to track calories and was sure I had read somewhere that I should be getting a minimum of 46g of protein a day. I was only getting about 20g.

And here I was looking for info yesterday and this popped up on Facebook! I made the example protein smoothie this morning with kale, almond milk, mixed berries, banana, maca powder and coconut oil. I drank it at 7:30 and it’s 3 hours later and I’m not hungry at all! Thank you!

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 27th, 2015 at 10:59 am

Wonderful! 🙂 Thanks for the comment, great tips in there too for our community!

23. Joan Zakhour

February 28th, 2015 at 8:26 am

Hi. I have the same question about flax seed. As an American living in Lebanon, I get a bit frustrated because I can not find all the ingredients. Your website is great. I feel like I have a whole support team behind me! Thanks!

24. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 2nd, 2015 at 11:00 am

Hey Joan. Can you find hemp, chia or almond butter? Those are great options as well. 🙂

Thanks for the love!

25. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 2nd, 2015 at 11:00 am

Thanks for the love!

26. Maria C

March 2nd, 2015 at 11:18 am

Hi, I was wondering if you could use flaxseed? And if you can, how?

27. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 3rd, 2015 at 8:15 am

Totally! Here is a post about adding flaxseed: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/tips/healthy-fats

28. Jessica

March 4th, 2015 at 6:28 am

Are these per recipe or per smoothie? Also if only adding chia seeds how much should I add? I add 3tbsp of hemp seeds per smoothie

29. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 9th, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Hey Jessica,

These Boost are made for a 32oz smoothie that serves two. 🙂 Hope that helps.

30. Jb

March 6th, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Is Greek yogurt considered a protein? Could that be used as well for a meal replacement?

31. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 9th, 2015 at 3:20 pm

We personally don’t blend with dairy, but feel free if you enjoy it. 🙂

32. Christina

March 12th, 2015 at 8:38 am

Are there receipes that include fruits but are lower in sugar?

Diabetic friendly?

33. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 12th, 2015 at 10:36 am

Hey Christina,

Feel free to check out our favorite low sugar fruit: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/low-sugar-fruits

34. T

March 15th, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Should you rotate your fats? Proteins? Is there any health concerns the fats can cause?

35. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 16th, 2015 at 5:05 am

Hey T,

We love rotating them because it helps our body receive different nutrition with different nutrients + vitamins.

36. Dave

March 30th, 2015 at 7:07 pm

can I use ground flax seed and chia seeds at the same time? If so how much of each? Or should I use almond butter and ground flaxseed together? Thank you

37. SGS Rawkstar

March 31st, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Hi Dave,

We love adding flax seed and chia seeds to our smoothies! Feel free to add flax seed and chia seeds at the same time, as flax seeds are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, and therefore pair great with the protein you get from chia seeds. Two tablespoons of each would be a great addition to any smoothie!!

Cheers 🙂

38. Valerie

April 30th, 2015 at 7:18 am

I just picked a flax/chia blend should I do 4 tablespoons of it or just the 2?

39. SGS Rawkstar

April 30th, 2015 at 8:00 am

Hi Valerie,

I’d try for 4 tablespoons, you can always cut back if you find it to be too much.

40. Victoria

April 5th, 2015 at 10:21 am

This might be a silly question to ask, but I’ve been drinking green smoothies for a couple weeks now, and I’m still fairly new to it all. I’m trying to figure out ways to rotate everything to get a nice mixture of different super foods, leaves, and fruits in my diet. Preferably, I only like to make a one serving smoothie, because I just don’t have proper storage to save the other half. With these meal replacement measurements, would it still work if I cut them all in half? I ask, because 1/8 cup of rolled oats doesn’t seem like a whole lot.

41. SGS Rawkstar

April 6th, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Hi Victoria,

Yep, just like our recipes the above additions are for 2-servings, so if you’re just making 1, cut the measurements in half! Cheers 🙂

42. Cris

April 5th, 2015 at 1:20 pm

“Hangry” lol That’s not only hilarious, but it’s true. I thought I was the only one that got a serious case of the angries after only a couple of days on green smoothies, or on a low-carb diet. My wife has almost forbidden me to diet. It’s nice to know that I’m not crazy! The fix for the hangry’s is usually – unfortunately – like a burger and fries, or a plate of spaghetti and meat sauce. Let’s see if adding fats, proteins and fruit together will keep the hangry’s away.

43. SGS Rawkstar

April 6th, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Hi Cris,

Let us know how adding healthy fats + proteins to your smoothies works for you! Here’s to not being “hangry”!!

1 2 3 6
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM