7-DAY RESET IS HERE
TOP WINTER RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Turn Your Green Smoothie Into a Meal!

Looking for green smoothie meal replacement advice? You’ve found it! Check out these tips and our formula for turning your smoothie into the perfect, healthy meal.

Ready to chug that green smoothie for breakfast (or lunch or dinner)?!

Before you start replacing any of your meals with green smoothies, we’ve got a few rawkstar tips and suggestions to keep you from feeling “hangry” in between meals (hungry + angry = hangry). Don’t worry, we’ve all been there!

How to turn a green smoothie into a meal

The key to replacing meals with green smoothies is including healthy fats and proteins. Healthy fats and proteins are the way to go if you want to power up with a green smoothie meal replacement. This combo will keep you feeling full and give you the energy you need to cruise right through ’til your next snack or meal. Below are our favorite options for green smoothie meal replacement boosters:

Step 1 // Pick a Plant-Based Protein

Plant-based proteins keep your body full and give you tons of energy. They also help repair your muscles, which is perfect for that post-workout buzz. Oh, kale to the yeah!

• Hemp hearts
  • Chia seeds
  • Plant-based protein powder
  • Rolled oats
  • Tofu

Step 2 // Pick a Healthy Fat

Healthy fats protect your heart, keep your energy levels up, boost metabolism, and lower bad cholesterol levels. So please don’t skip the fats. They’re actually really, really good for you! And these ingredients below make your green smoothies extra creamy.

• Avocado
  • Coconut oil
  • Almond butter
  • Chia seeds (yep, here they are again! These babies are loaded with healthy fats and protein, making them a great everyday booster)

Part 3 // Put ’em together and this is what you get…

Healthy Fat + Plant-based Protein = Meal Replacement Boosters

Green smoothies are the perfect fast food and adding these boosters will save you tons of time in the kitchen and keep you away from any drive-thru food that will wreck havoc on your body. We want you to be healthy and strong!

Use one of these meal replacement booster combos in your next green smoothie. The boosts are measured for our delicious Simple Green Smoothies recipes, which serve 2.

• 4 tablespoons hemp hearts + ½ avocado
  • 4 tablespoons plant-based protein powder + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons almond butter + ¼ cup rolled oats
  • 4 tablespoons chia seeds + 4oz silken tofu
  • 4 tablespoons chia seeds + 2 tablespoons coconut oil

You can find all of these ingredients at your local store, or even order a few online. Amazon is a perfect place to stock up on hemp hearts, plant-based protein powders, coconut oil, and chia seeds.

Green Smoothie Meal Replacement Smoothie Booster Combos

Note: We’re proud affiliates of Amazon, so if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products we’ve used and truly believe in. So just know, these ingredients get our Rawkstar Seal of Approval.

Need a meal replacement green smoothie recipe to get you started?

We gotcha covered! Here’s a healthy filling green smoothie to keep that “hangry” feeling at bay when drinking green smoothies as a meal replacement. You got this rawkstar!

MealReplacement-Instagram_Blank
Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Christina

March 12th, 2015 at 8:38 am

Are there receipes that include fruits but are lower in sugar?

Diabetic friendly?

2. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 12th, 2015 at 10:36 am

Hey Christina,

Feel free to check out our favorite low sugar fruit: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/low-sugar-fruits

3. T

March 15th, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Should you rotate your fats? Proteins? Is there any health concerns the fats can cause?

4. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 16th, 2015 at 5:05 am

Hey T,

We love rotating them because it helps our body receive different nutrition with different nutrients + vitamins.

5. Dave

March 30th, 2015 at 7:07 pm

can I use ground flax seed and chia seeds at the same time? If so how much of each? Or should I use almond butter and ground flaxseed together? Thank you

6. SGS Rawkstar

March 31st, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Hi Dave,

We love adding flax seed and chia seeds to our smoothies! Feel free to add flax seed and chia seeds at the same time, as flax seeds are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, and therefore pair great with the protein you get from chia seeds. Two tablespoons of each would be a great addition to any smoothie!!

Cheers 🙂

7. Valerie

April 30th, 2015 at 7:18 am

I just picked a flax/chia blend should I do 4 tablespoons of it or just the 2?

8. SGS Rawkstar

April 30th, 2015 at 8:00 am

Hi Valerie,

I’d try for 4 tablespoons, you can always cut back if you find it to be too much.

9. Victoria

April 5th, 2015 at 10:21 am

This might be a silly question to ask, but I’ve been drinking green smoothies for a couple weeks now, and I’m still fairly new to it all. I’m trying to figure out ways to rotate everything to get a nice mixture of different super foods, leaves, and fruits in my diet. Preferably, I only like to make a one serving smoothie, because I just don’t have proper storage to save the other half. With these meal replacement measurements, would it still work if I cut them all in half? I ask, because 1/8 cup of rolled oats doesn’t seem like a whole lot.

10. SGS Rawkstar

April 6th, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Hi Victoria,

Yep, just like our recipes the above additions are for 2-servings, so if you’re just making 1, cut the measurements in half! Cheers 🙂

11. Cris

April 5th, 2015 at 1:20 pm

“Hangry” lol That’s not only hilarious, but it’s true. I thought I was the only one that got a serious case of the angries after only a couple of days on green smoothies, or on a low-carb diet. My wife has almost forbidden me to diet. It’s nice to know that I’m not crazy! The fix for the hangry’s is usually – unfortunately – like a burger and fries, or a plate of spaghetti and meat sauce. Let’s see if adding fats, proteins and fruit together will keep the hangry’s away.

12. SGS Rawkstar

April 6th, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Hi Cris,

Let us know how adding healthy fats + proteins to your smoothies works for you! Here’s to not being “hangry”!!

13. roberta

April 15th, 2015 at 3:39 pm

I am so glad I stumbled across this website,I have been been following the fast metabogism diet for a couple of years,,which has helped,I needed something different,I think I have found it.

14. SGS Rawkstar

April 16th, 2015 at 5:01 am

Hi Roberta,

Welcome, we’re so happy you found Simple Green Smoothies! Let us know if you have any questions along the way!

Cheers 🙂

15. Cynthia Pendleton

May 5th, 2015 at 9:12 am

I’m so excited that I found this site! Gonna start in 2 days with my daughters!

16. SGS Rawkstar

May 5th, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Hi Cynthia!

That’s rawesome! Keep us updated + let us know if you or your daughters have any questions!

Cheers 🙂

17. Zee

May 14th, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Fantastic information , thanks

18. SGS Rawkstar

May 15th, 2015 at 6:29 am

Thanks, Zee! 🙂

19. Liz cuman

May 16th, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Hi girls, love the upbeat site and the great pictures ! Thanks! Just thought I’d try storing the 2 nd glassful in the fridge with a jam making wax disc on top – so easy! And seems to cut right down on oxidation!

20. SGS Rawkstar

May 18th, 2015 at 7:26 am

Rawesome Liz!

21. Stacy

May 21st, 2015 at 7:04 am

I’m curious as to why almond butter is considered a healthy fat as opposed to a protein source. I have been adding whole almonds to my smoothies for awhile now thinking they were a good source of protein and this article is confusing me now. (sometimes I use cashews as well)

22. SGS Rawkstar

May 21st, 2015 at 7:29 am

Hi Stacy,

Almonds are little energy powerhouses because they’re great sources of both protein + healthy fats! Just 1/4 cup of almonds or 2 tablespoons of almond butter will give you 8 grams of protein. Cashews are double-duty rawkstars too!

23. Courtney

June 18th, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Can I do hemp hearts + coconut oil? I already have both of those in my pantry now, and I would rather use what I have then buy something new 🙂

24. Courtney

June 18th, 2015 at 2:44 pm

NEVER MIND! I see that someone already asked a similar question and got the go-ahead.

Thanks, y’all!

25. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 7:23 am

Hi Courtney,

Thanks for reaching out! Glad you found the answer so you could start blendin’ right away! Always feel free to mix-and-match ingredients. We love using what’s on hand in our pantries, as well. 🙂

26. Eli

June 23rd, 2015 at 7:14 am

I have been experimenting with green smoothies for a bit, and have found that I like this one a lot, and eat it almost every day for breakfast:

80g (2 packed cups) spinach
    720g (3 cups) almond milk (I like my smoothies liquid-ey)
    1 fresh banana
    2 cups frozen mango
    1/4 cup oats
    4 tablespoons chia seeds

Just thought I should share it, if anyone wants to try it out.

27. SGS Rawkstar

June 24th, 2015 at 5:52 am

Hi Eli,

Sounds delicious! We especially love blendin’ with oats + chia seeds. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

28. emily

June 23rd, 2015 at 7:41 am

Sorry if I missed this, but can you do any combination of the plant-based proteins and healthy fats above for the same effect? For example, could I do chia seeds and rolled oats or is there a reason you paired the particular ingredients above together and I should stick with those specific pairings?

29. SGS Rawkstar

June 24th, 2015 at 5:54 am

Hi Emily,

Of course you can! We’ve worked with a nutritionist to identify the best pairings, but any pairing of healthy fats + proteins from the list above will provide you with a great meal replacement smoothie!

30. jv

June 27th, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Hello,
    I am so excited to start the challenge! My question is….i want to use the challenge for one meal replacement a day…i know I should use a protein plus a healthy fat for a meal booster..can I use the “vega one” powder to put in my smoothie or is that not the right type of powder??

31. SGS Rawkstar

June 29th, 2015 at 6:20 am

Hi JV,

We love adding vegetable based protein powder to our smoothies, Vega One is a great option!

32. jv

June 30th, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Hi,
    Thank you for answering my question about being able to mix vega one powder with my meal replacment smoothie. I also meant to ask when I add the powder should I just add one scoop and should I take one of the meal booster ingredient combinations out of the recipe ?

33. SGS Rawkstar

June 30th, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Hi JV,

When using protein powder in your meal replacement smoothie we suggest adding 4 tablespoons along with a healthy fat, coconut oil makes a great option!

Hope that answers your question!

1 2 3 4 9

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25