The Index

Rawk out here too...

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Turn Your Green Smoothie Into a Meal!

Looking for green smoothie meal replacement advice? You’ve found it! Check out these tips and our formula for turning your smoothie into the perfect, healthy meal.

Green Smoothie Meal Replacement Smoothie Booster Combos
Ready to chug that green smoothie for breakfast (or lunch or dinner)?!

Before you start replacing any of your meals with green smoothies, we’ve got a few rawkstar tips and suggestions to keep you from feeling “hangry” in between meals (hungry + angry = hangry). Don’t worry, we’ve all been there!

How to turn a green smoothie into a meal

The key to replacing meals with green smoothies is including healthy fats and proteins. Healthy fats and proteins are the way to go if you want to power up with a green smoothie meal replacement. This combo will keep you feeling full and give you the energy you need to cruise right through ’til your next snack or meal. Below are our favorite options for green smoothie meal replacement boosters:

Step 1 // Pick a Plant-Based Protein

Plant-based proteins keep your body full and give you tons of energy. They also help repair your muscles, which is perfect for that post-workout buzz. Oh, kale to the yeah!

• Hemp hearts
  • Chia seeds
  • Plant-based protein powder
  • Rolled oats
  • Tofu

Step 2 // Pick a Healthy Fat

Healthy fats protect your heart, keep your energy levels up, boost metabolism, and lower bad cholesterol levels. So please don’t skip the fats. They’re actually really, really good for you! And these ingredients below make your green smoothies extra creamy.

• Avocado
  • Coconut oil
  • Almond butter
  • Chia seeds (yep, here they are again! These babies are loaded with healthy fats and protein, making them a great everyday booster)

Part 3 // Put ’em together and this is what you get…

Healthy Fat + Plant-based Protein = Meal Replacement Boosters

Green smoothies are the perfect fast food and adding these boosters will save you tons of time in the kitchen and keep you away from any drive-thru food that will wreck havoc on your body. We want you to be healthy and strong!

Use one of these meal replacement booster combos in your next green smoothie. The boosts are measured for our delicious Simple Green Smoothies recipes, which serve 2.

• 4 tablespoons hemp hearts + ½ avocado
  • 4 tablespoons plant-based protein powder + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons almond butter + ¼ cup rolled oats
  • 4 tablespoons chia seeds + 4oz silken tofu
  • 4 tablespoons chia seeds + 2 tablespoons coconut oil

You can find all of these ingredients at your local store, or even order a few online. Amazon is a perfect place to stock up on hemp hearts, plant-based protein powders, coconut oil, and chia seeds.

Note: We’re proud affiliates of Amazon, so if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products we’ve used and truly believe in. So just know, these ingredients get our Rawkstar Seal of Approval.
MealReplacement-Instagram_Blank

Need a meal replacement green smoothie recipe to get you started?

We gotcha covered! Here’s a healthy filling green smoothie to keep that “hangry” feeling at bay when drinking green smoothies as a meal replacement. You got this rawkstar!

Comment+

1. roberta

April 15th, 2015 at 3:39 pm

I am so glad I stumbled across this website,I have been been following the fast metabogism diet for a couple of years,,which has helped,I needed something different,I think I have found it.

2. SGS Rawkstar

April 16th, 2015 at 5:01 am

Hi Roberta,

Welcome, we’re so happy you found Simple Green Smoothies! Let us know if you have any questions along the way!

Cheers 🙂

3. Cynthia Pendleton

May 5th, 2015 at 9:12 am

I’m so excited that I found this site! Gonna start in 2 days with my daughters!

4. SGS Rawkstar

May 5th, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Hi Cynthia!

That’s rawesome! Keep us updated + let us know if you or your daughters have any questions!

Cheers 🙂

5. Zee

May 14th, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Fantastic information , thanks

6. SGS Rawkstar

May 15th, 2015 at 6:29 am

Thanks, Zee! 🙂

7. Liz cuman

May 16th, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Hi girls, love the upbeat site and the great pictures ! Thanks! Just thought I’d try storing the 2 nd glassful in the fridge with a jam making wax disc on top – so easy! And seems to cut right down on oxidation!

8. SGS Rawkstar

May 18th, 2015 at 7:26 am

Rawesome Liz!

9. Stacy

May 21st, 2015 at 7:04 am

I’m curious as to why almond butter is considered a healthy fat as opposed to a protein source. I have been adding whole almonds to my smoothies for awhile now thinking they were a good source of protein and this article is confusing me now. (sometimes I use cashews as well)

10. SGS Rawkstar

May 21st, 2015 at 7:29 am

Hi Stacy,

Almonds are little energy powerhouses because they’re great sources of both protein + healthy fats! Just 1/4 cup of almonds or 2 tablespoons of almond butter will give you 8 grams of protein. Cashews are double-duty rawkstars too!

11. Courtney

June 18th, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Can I do hemp hearts + coconut oil? I already have both of those in my pantry now, and I would rather use what I have then buy something new 🙂

12. Courtney

June 18th, 2015 at 2:44 pm

NEVER MIND! I see that someone already asked a similar question and got the go-ahead.

Thanks, y’all!

13. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 7:23 am

Hi Courtney,

Thanks for reaching out! Glad you found the answer so you could start blendin’ right away! Always feel free to mix-and-match ingredients. We love using what’s on hand in our pantries, as well. 🙂

14. Eli

June 23rd, 2015 at 7:14 am

I have been experimenting with green smoothies for a bit, and have found that I like this one a lot, and eat it almost every day for breakfast:

80g (2 packed cups) spinach
    720g (3 cups) almond milk (I like my smoothies liquid-ey)
    1 fresh banana
    2 cups frozen mango
    1/4 cup oats
    4 tablespoons chia seeds

Just thought I should share it, if anyone wants to try it out.

15. SGS Rawkstar

June 24th, 2015 at 5:52 am

Hi Eli,

Sounds delicious! We especially love blendin’ with oats + chia seeds. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

16. emily

June 23rd, 2015 at 7:41 am

Sorry if I missed this, but can you do any combination of the plant-based proteins and healthy fats above for the same effect? For example, could I do chia seeds and rolled oats or is there a reason you paired the particular ingredients above together and I should stick with those specific pairings?

17. SGS Rawkstar

June 24th, 2015 at 5:54 am

Hi Emily,

Of course you can! We’ve worked with a nutritionist to identify the best pairings, but any pairing of healthy fats + proteins from the list above will provide you with a great meal replacement smoothie!

18. jv

June 27th, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Hello,
    I am so excited to start the challenge! My question is….i want to use the challenge for one meal replacement a day…i know I should use a protein plus a healthy fat for a meal booster..can I use the “vega one” powder to put in my smoothie or is that not the right type of powder??

19. SGS Rawkstar

June 29th, 2015 at 6:20 am

Hi JV,

We love adding vegetable based protein powder to our smoothies, Vega One is a great option!

20. jv

June 30th, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Hi,
    Thank you for answering my question about being able to mix vega one powder with my meal replacment smoothie. I also meant to ask when I add the powder should I just add one scoop and should I take one of the meal booster ingredient combinations out of the recipe ?

21. SGS Rawkstar

June 30th, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Hi JV,

When using protein powder in your meal replacement smoothie we suggest adding 4 tablespoons along with a healthy fat, coconut oil makes a great option!

Hope that answers your question!

22. sarah

July 1st, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Great chart!

I recently purchased spirulina to add to my smoothies, and am wondering what your recommendations for quantities and combinations are? How much powder should I consume per day if I’m a spirulina newbie?

23. SGS Rawkstar

July 2nd, 2015 at 5:09 am

Hi Sarah,

We love spurlina for it’s great nutritional value, especially protein + omega 3 fatty acids! While we suggest starting small, once you’ve become accustomed to the taste, use anywhere from one to two teaspoons of spirulina in your daily smoothie.

24. Sam

July 6th, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Hello! Just found your fab website and signed up for your 30 day challenge. A quick question, do you have to soak chia seeds / seeds / oats before you use them in a smoothie? Many thanks 🙂

25. SGS Rawkstar

July 6th, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Hi Sam,

Great question! You can do either! Chia seeds are perfect to soak beforehand to thicken up your smoothie, or you can add them right to your blender, personally I like to sprinkle them on top to add a little crunch to my smoothie. We usually recommend adding 2 tbs dry oats, or 1/4 cup cooked oats to any green smoothie recipe.

Thanks for joining us!

26. Sam

July 7th, 2015 at 11:12 am

Great thank you for getting back to me 🙂 That’s great information.

27. SGS Rawkstar

July 7th, 2015 at 6:32 pm

You’re so welcome, Sam! Thanks for blendin’ with us!

28. Andrea Smith

July 6th, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Can I use Spinach instead of kale?

29. SGS Rawkstar

July 6th, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Of course, Andrea! We love changing up our recipes by switching up our leafy greens, check out our favorites here…

30. KD

July 14th, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Can I use a good quality peanut butter instead of almond butter?

31. SGS Rawkstar

July 14th, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Hi KD,

Of course! Peanut butter + almond butter occupy similar niches in a healthy diet, and can often substitute for the other in most recipes! We love nut butter made from almonds because it contains more vitamin E and iron than peanut butter, but we love both!

32. Ann

July 16th, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Hi, can I use chia seeds with avocado?

33. SGS Rawkstar

July 17th, 2015 at 7:14 am

Hi Ann,

Chia Seeds + Avocado are a great combination, together they’ll provide your body with the right combination of protein + healthy fats to make your green smoothie the perfect meal replacement!

34. Elizabeth

July 16th, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Hi! Would you ever recommend using avocado or olive oil in your smoothies? And would it be 2 T, as with coconut oil?

35. SGS Rawkstar

July 20th, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

I’ve personally never tried blendin’ with avocado or olive oil, but it’s worth a try! 🙂

Cheers,
    Amanda, SGS Rawkstar

36. Suzie

July 16th, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Can I use a plant based protein and chia seeds for my meal replacement smoothie and what quantity should I use for each??

37. SGS Rawkstar

July 17th, 2015 at 7:48 am

Hi Suzie,

Of course! Chia seeds are a nutritional powerhouse and provide both protein + healthy fats! We suggest adding 4tbs of protein powder with 4tbs of chia seeds to any Simple Green Smoothie Recipe!

38. Jen

July 16th, 2015 at 5:12 pm

I can’t seem to find how much a serving is. 8oz, 16 oz. And same if its a meal replacement?

39. SGS Rawkstar

July 17th, 2015 at 7:50 am

Hi Jen,

Each recipe makes 32oz, 2 (16oz) servings, one serving is perfect for a meal replacement, + 8oz makes the perfect snack size green smoothie!

Hope this helps!

40. T

July 16th, 2015 at 5:19 pm

What about weight gain? What smoothie would you suggest??

41. SGS Rawkstar

July 20th, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Hi T,

Looking to gain weight with green smoothies, try adding additional protein + coconut oil! Hope this helps!

42. sherena

July 16th, 2015 at 5:28 pm

What are your feelings on flax/linseeds? What combination can I use them with and what measurements would you recommend? Thanks for the chart, very helpful.

43. SGS Rawkstar

July 17th, 2015 at 8:07 am

Hi Sherena,

Great question! We love flax seeds, they’re a great way to add fatty acids + fiber to your green smoothies! Add just one tablespoon of ground flaxseed or try whole seeds to your smoothie for a subtle, nutty flavor with more than subtle nutrition. Want to use flaxseeds to make your smoothie a meal replacement? Try adding two tablespoons to any recipe, along with a protein option!

1 2 3 4 6
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM