TAKE THE SMOOTHIE QUIZ

START NOW

Let us help you decide what to blend today

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

The ultimate green smoothie prep tip busy people use

perp

Smoothie meal prepping is a great way to save time and have enough smoothies on hand for a week or even a month. There are many ways to speed up the process, yet two of the best ways we have found are Ziploc bags and mason jars. Both ways work well and speed up the process immensely. So gather some bags, mason jars or other freezer safe containers and let’s get prepping!

Prep like a rawkstar

prep11. Slice and measure green smoothie ingredients according to recipe (just leave out the liquids). If using a mason jar, start with fruits and then add leafy greens last so they are towards the top. This helps get them out easier when frozen.

[hr]

prep2
2. Place all ingredients in a freezer safe Ziploc bag (quart size OR gallon size) or container (do not add liquid-base)

[hr]

prep4
3. Label with name of recipe and date made.

[hr]

prep5

4. Place and store in freezer for up to 6 months.

[hr]

prep35. Remove from freezer and pour ingredients into blender along with the liquid base. Blend until smooth!

[hr]

jensprep

If you blender isn’t doing so hot with frozen fruits, you can take your bag (or mason jar) out of the freezer the night before and let it defrost slightly. This also brings out more of the flavors in the fruit, which is awesome. If you are going this route, we also recommend freezing your greens separate from your fruits so they don’t defrost and get soggy. Jen keeps her frozen leafy greens in a gallon size Ziploc and then her fruit measurements in a mason jar.

Can I make my green smoothie the night before?
Yes! You can blend your smoothies ahead of time and store your green smoothies in a sealed container for 1 to 3 days in the fridge. We like to use these quart-size mason jars with the metal bands or these storage caps (click the links to be directed to the products on Amazon). Another perk to blending at night: your neighbors will love you for blending the night before too!

Fresh is always best, but a 2-day old green smoothie is still way better than a bag of the Cheetos (aka: orange dust) or a drive-thru breakfast sandwich. Your goal is to add more fruits and vegetables into your regular diet— and green smoothies will help you get there.

21-day cleanse: $49

SMOOTHIE Cubes: $5

DESSERTS: $15

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our helpful guides and cleanses.

More plant-powered goodness!

7-DAY cleanse: $35

Filed in:

Comment+

1. Yan

May 20th, 2013 at 5:00 am

I’d just found your website and subscribed, and this is the first article I received.

So clever! When I’m cooking dinner, I very often make an extra meal to freeze for another day and I’d been freezing my own fruit, but each fruit separately. Never thought to put them all together so that they are recipe ready for a green smoothie—duh!

Thank you for such a great idea. When I cut up the fruit and kale yesterday for our green smoothie, I cut up enough to fill two extra containers for the freezer, ready for another day.

2. Jadah and Jen

May 20th, 2013 at 7:35 am

Sounds like you are off to a great start! 🙂

3. Robin

May 21st, 2013 at 6:23 am

I’m just learning about making green smoothies and came across your site. Love it!!! I was just wondering about your prep. I love to do a meal prep day, and get everything ready for the week. Can I freeze the greens? I didn’t know that I could do that. Even Romaine (love it!! so use it often).

4. Jadah and Jen

May 21st, 2013 at 8:37 am

You can absolutely freeze greens! Just rinse, dry, put in an airtight bag, and store in your freezer for months!

5. bari

May 21st, 2013 at 7:54 am

thanks for all the great information and recipes! can you tell me more about freezing greens? are we not losing any vital nutrition?

thanks again!

6. Jadah and Jen

May 21st, 2013 at 8:37 am

Hi Bari! If there is any nutrition loss then it is minuscule 🙂 Fresh is always best, but frozen is a close second!

7. Brittney

May 21st, 2013 at 8:27 am

Do I have to blanch the leafy greens or can I just wash them and put them in the ziploc bag?

8. Loree

May 21st, 2013 at 11:25 am

I just wash mine and get them as dry as possible. Blanching can sometimes make greens more bitter. If you’ve got room in your freezer, try spreading greens on a cookie sheet and freeze so they’ll be separate to put in a baggie and not a lump of stuck-together-leaves. However, if you do just freeze them in a baggie, they may break off easily enough into your blender when you’re ready to use them. Then place the remaining frozen greens back in the freezer so they won’t turn to green mush. 🙂

9. mocarter

May 21st, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Thank you so much for this very timely info! My fridge is stuffed with greens out of my garden which continue to grow faster than I and my neighbors can consume them. With this info, I can have fresh every day and freeze what we don’t eat for the hot summer when greens won’t be growing. I use my freezer for lots of things but hadn’t thought about pre-bagging my smoothies!

10. Anne

May 25th, 2013 at 8:09 am

is it safe to freeze them in a mason jar? this will probably take up too much room right?

11. Jadah and Jen

May 28th, 2013 at 8:42 am

Jen freezes in a mason jar 🙂 It depends on if your mason jar is freezer-safe. Most are, but not all.

12. Kaci

May 31st, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I saw you folks on Instagram and so in love with all of your recipes and tips! I had purchased the 30 day green smoothie challenge today and can’t wait to start! I was just wondering about prepping. If I separate the vegetables, what size mason jar should I use for the fruits? A quart as well? I am in need to purchase mason jars!

13. Jadah and Jen

June 3rd, 2013 at 6:38 am

It depends on how much fruit you buy. You can use ziploc bags or mason jars. Also, take into account what size of mason jars can fit into your freeze. Quart sized would probably be a good option 🙂

14. Islia

June 2nd, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I’m looking for some coupons for ecojarz or any other site that sell lid with straw type of setup. Can you help? Thanks

15. Jadah and Jen

June 3rd, 2013 at 6:36 am

Hi Islia,
    Honestly, we get most of our stuff from Amazon. We set up a store so you could look through all the stuff we purchase there 🙂

16. Michelle

June 13th, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Ecojarz has a coupon that is only good through tomorrow, 6/14. I believe it is spring13, but you can double-check their FB page.

17. Jadah and Jen

June 15th, 2013 at 11:26 am

Thanks for the great info, Michelle!

18. Meliza

June 17th, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Google “Aladdin mason jar tumbler” I recently bought those at Costco. They come in a 3 pack, they’re plastic, and come with extra straws. I hope that helps a bit.

19. Jessie

June 3rd, 2013 at 10:17 am

I went to your amazon store and seen that u had the nutribullet. Is that really a good blender? I’ve been considering buying one.

20. Jadah and Jen

June 3rd, 2013 at 10:37 am

Hi Jessie!
    The NutriBullet is a good, affordable blender. It is high powered, which means it will chew up those leafy greens, fruits, and veggies in no time.

21. kai

June 3rd, 2013 at 10:50 am

but the nutribullet did not breakup all my ice

22. Jadah and Jen

June 3rd, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Hi Kai!
    That is one of the reasons we don’t recommend using ice. It isn’t always the easiest to blend up 🙂

23. kai

June 3rd, 2013 at 1:04 pm

oh ok. so then how do we get it cold and creamy without ice

24. Jadah and Jen

June 3rd, 2013 at 1:45 pm

You can use a frozen fruit, put it in the fridge after blending, or add a couple ice cubes into your cup after you pour the green smoothie in 🙂

25. Laina

June 3rd, 2013 at 11:43 am

Instead of freezing whole leaves, I blend up my greens with a tiny bit of coconut water and then freeze them in ice cube trays. It’s super easy and they take up less space that way.

26. Jadah and Jen

June 3rd, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Thats a great suggestion, Laina 🙂 We definitely suggest doing that for herbs, but isn’t necessary for spinach, kale, etc.–though you can do it if you would like!

27. Victoria

September 22nd, 2013 at 7:53 pm

That is a really smart and excellent suggestion. Especially if you buy a lot of greens at the one time. Thanks for that.

28. Lougagne

September 28th, 2013 at 6:19 am

I have a food saver and just portion pack all my Kale as it is way too bulky to store otherwise.

29. Evan!

June 8th, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Hey Jen and Jadah!

I know that apples and bananas can’t be stored with other fruits (and maybe veges?) because they are ethylene producers and cause neighbor fruits to ripen too quick. Can I freeze them with other fruits?

Great website and hope yall are having a great summer,
    evan

30. mocarter

June 10th, 2013 at 6:08 am

Freezing stops the ethylene production.

31. Jadah and Jen

June 10th, 2013 at 7:31 am

Freezing them is fine 🙂

32. Nancy

June 28th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Hi, Do you have any recommendations on methods of cleaning greens/fruit?

33. Jadah and Jen

July 3rd, 2013 at 8:52 am

We usually just rinse and dry 🙂

34. val

June 30th, 2013 at 3:58 pm

well, i tried the kale + kiwi lime smoothie today; i thought it would taste delish, because i love everything in it, but i didn’t care for it too much. i’m forcing myself to drink it though. i think the kiwi and avocado were not ripe enough, because it’s got a bit of a peppery flavor — not too pleasant. and it’s very thick. i think i don’t like my smoothies too thick. but that’s ok, i’m still doin’ it. my favorite so far is the Butter & Jelly!

35. Kat

July 4th, 2013 at 7:51 am

I was a bit the same val but I think I went lighter on the lime if I remember correctly as I went slightly lower on some other items. It had a little bit of a bitter taste to me but enough that I could tolerate it & then have made a better one today with some other things. Definitely know what you mean about the ripeness of the avocado & kiwi – I think that will definitely make it less bitter if they are fully ripe

36. Susan

July 1st, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Hi Ladies,
    Can u blend all ingredients and freeze it?
    Defrost in refrigerator covered.

37. Jadah and Jen

July 3rd, 2013 at 8:52 am

We recommend first freezing and then blending–we have never tried blending and freezing, though.

38. Tracy

July 8th, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I am new to this and don’t measure…. Since I usually have a bit more than I need to drink, I just pour the excess in a snack bag and freeze and then I have a mini green-cicle! Since I have kids coming to visit this weekend we will see what they think!

Also since I live in a village in Alaska with no store and no garden yet, I depend on my bi-weekly veggie boxes so I often prepare and freeze my fruit on sheets then bag in freezer bags so I can take out a cup or a handful!

39. Jadah and Jen

July 9th, 2013 at 5:42 am

That is a great idea about the popsicle, Tracy!

40. Loretta

September 23rd, 2013 at 4:42 am

Hi Susan
    – I blend ahead and make batches and pour into ice cube trays (BPA free trays from Walmart super cheap). Then I just pop cubes into blender & add a little more liquid. Or you could put cubes in mason jar in the fridge the night before and just shake in the morning. This really helps when I shop bulk and at the farmers market – saves time during the week and space in the freezer. 🙂

41. mocarter

September 23rd, 2013 at 8:32 am

I would think each prep step you do ahead, the less nutrition you will have in the end. Just makes sense.

42. Chelly

July 1st, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Went shopping yesterday and forgot my pineapple in the car so I made the kale + kiwi lime smoothie today. Like Val, I was excited about it because I thought the flavors would be amazing together. Sad to say,this one is not for me all I could taste was the bitterness of the lime. I tried to force myself to take a few sips to get used to it but no-no I had to pour it out.

I’ve tried your starter smoothie last month and loved it so this is not a swan song for me, I’m sticking to the challenge. I got my pineapple and I’m looking forward to greater success tomorrow.

43. Michelle

July 3rd, 2013 at 3:39 am

I’m glad I was not the only one. I really wanted to like it as well but I could not stomach the lime. I ended up making something else that is not on the recipe list but I’ve tried the citrus breeze (which is yummy) and the Papaya smoothie. Keep it up!

44. Tishalla

July 1st, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Are most fruits or veggies to be peeled? Except apples, peaches and those with edible skins?

45. Jadah and Jen

July 3rd, 2013 at 8:53 am

Most of them, yes 🙂

46. Deeanna

July 4th, 2013 at 7:34 am

Just started the July challenge and I’m super excited! In terms of prep, would you say chopping all fruits and them freezing them separately in bags is ok? I’m thinking it’ll help with making the smoothie colder without adding ice and save time because you’ve already chopped everything.

47. Jadah and Jen

July 5th, 2013 at 6:39 am

Sounds like a great plan, Deeanna 🙂

48. Nina Fredrikke

July 12th, 2013 at 12:25 am

If your smoothie tastes like pepper, it’s not the lime – it’s the kiwi. You should always throw them in last and never blend them to long, because the seeds will get a pepper-like taste if they get powdered 🙂

49. Francesca

September 17th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Maybe I’m an idiot but I can’t find the links to click to find the storage caps? I am always looking for a rust/BPA free way to store my smoothies! I have joined your 30 day challenge and saw someone else mention the 21 day cleanse? Is that always available on the website? I am totally intrigued by it. You ladies have an amazing resource here. Thank you!!!!!

50. kyki

September 28th, 2013 at 8:20 pm

you’re not an idiot, i don’t see the links either 🙂

1 2 3 6
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM