The ultimate green smoothie prep tip busy people use | Simple Green Smoothies

Rawk out here too...

JEn's Garden TOUR
Self Care GUIDE
WHY freeze Greens

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

Hey there! Iโ€™m Jen Hansard, mom of two, ultra runner and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos. I took my family's health into my own hands while broke and without health insurance...and have helped 1 million+ other families along the way.

PLANT-BASED MEAL PLANS
NEW SMOOTHIE RECIPES
COMMUNITY CLEANSES
WELLNESS MAGAZINE
ADVENTURE RETREATS

SleepY TIME TEA

year

MEAL PLANNER

The ultimate green smoothie prep tip busy people use

perp

Smoothie meal prepping is a great way to save time and have enough smoothies on hand for a week or even a month. There are many ways to speed up the process, yet two of the best ways we have found are Ziploc bags and mason jars. Both ways work well and speed up the process immensely. So gather some bags, mason jars or other freezer safe containers and let’s get prepping!

Prep like a rawkstar

prep11. Slice and measure green smoothie ingredients according to recipe (just leave out the liquids). If using a mason jar, start with fruits and then add leafy greens last so they are towards the top. This helps get them out easier when frozen.

[hr]

prep2
2. Place all ingredients in a freezer safe Ziploc bag (quart size OR gallon size) or container (do not add liquid-base)

[hr]

prep4
3. Label with name of recipe and date made.

[hr]

prep5

4. Place and store in freezer for up to 6 months.

[hr]

prep35. Remove from freezer and pour ingredients into blender along with the liquid base. Blend until smooth!

[hr]

jensprep

If you blender isn’t doing so hot with frozen fruits, you can take your bag (or mason jar) out of the freezer the night before and let it defrost slightly. This also brings out more of the flavors in the fruit, which is awesome. If you are going this route, we also recommend freezing your greens separate from your fruits so they don’t defrost and get soggy. Jen keeps her frozen leafy greens in a gallon size Ziploc and then her fruit measurements in a mason jar.

Can I make my green smoothie the night before?
Yes! You can blend your smoothies ahead of time and store your green smoothies in a sealed container for 1 to 3 days in the fridge. We like to use these quart-size mason jars with the metal bands or these storage caps (click the links to be directed to the products on Amazon). Another perk to blending at night: your neighbors will love you for blending the night before too!

Fresh is always best, but a 2-day old green smoothie is still way better than a bag of the Cheetos (aka: orange dust) or a drive-thru breakfast sandwich. Your goal is to add more fruits and vegetables into your regular dietโ€” and green smoothies will help you get there.

Filed in:

Comment+

1. vee

September 23rd, 2013 at 5:08 am

I’m excited for the next challenge! Quick question- I’d like to steam my baby spinach then freeze it (I don’t want raw baby spinach, personally). Would that be ok?

2. Jadah and Jen

September 25th, 2013 at 7:48 am

We prefer to just freeze it instead of steaming, but you can steam if you would like to ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Daniella

September 23rd, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Hi, Iยดve frozen my leaves before, but some of them turns black and bitter. How do i prevent that from happening?

4. Jadah and Jen

September 25th, 2013 at 7:49 am

Sometimes you can’t keep away the bitterness, but try not to bunch too many up together when freezing. The leaves in the middle will freeze less if they are trapped in the middle of a big bunch!

5. Nicole

September 23rd, 2013 at 7:58 pm

So excited to start this challenge. This smoothie prep will really help me out. Thanks for sharing.

6. Deedra

September 24th, 2013 at 11:04 am

Omg! I can’t wait till this challenge starts. I’ve been doing the green smoothies, but think by doing this it will help.

7. Stacie

September 30th, 2013 at 6:04 am

I did my prep for the entire week last night. I used ziplock bags and wrote what else I needed on them. I kept my greens seperate. I am currently using the bullet blender and cannot wait to hear what you recommend for use there!! Thank you for sharing this with us. I am excited to take this step to a healthier me!

8. Jen Hansard

October 1st, 2013 at 8:37 am

Yeah Stacie! You should have gotten an email about blenders we recommend. If not, check this out here: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/product-reviews/cheap-blender

9. Lindsey

September 30th, 2013 at 4:04 pm

If I prep the night before and freeze the ingredients, can the spinach and other leafy veggies go in blender frozen or should it be defrosted first?

10. Jeanne

September 30th, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Is it okay to freeze the avocado when prepping or should I add in the morning?

11. Adam

September 30th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Hi, Jadah & Jen.

I’m looking forward to the challenge! I’m curious if the mason jar needs to be air tight before freezing, so you don’t hear the pop noise after pressing the top of the lid?

Adam

12. mary

October 4th, 2013 at 6:31 am

I boil my kale 1 Cup waterUsing 1tsp of lemon juice. It helps make the drink smoother and less lleafy. IIuse the liquid right in the smoothie

13. Leslie

October 7th, 2013 at 11:58 am

I bought a huge 5lb bag of baby spinach at the farmers market. It looked so much fresher and tastier than the smaller bags. Then I worried it would go bad, so I was thrilled to read that it’s ok to freeze it.

14. Jadah and Jen

October 8th, 2013 at 5:44 am

That’s exactly how we feel, and why we started freezing, too!

15. Kathy

October 8th, 2013 at 4:11 pm

This is so helpful. Thanks for the freezing lesson, this is definitely going to make the challenge easier.

16. Jadah and Jen

October 10th, 2013 at 2:00 pm

You’re welcome, Kathy!! ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Camille

October 13th, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Hi can I use water as my liquid base? Thanks ๐Ÿ˜‰

18. Jadah and Jen

October 14th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Absolutely!

19. Britney

October 21st, 2013 at 8:00 am

Hello!! We are just starting the challenge! I have a silly prep question.. last night I prepped for the first 3 days. I cut up my fruit and added it to a mason jar and stuck it in the freezer. Unfortunately, this morning I could not get the fruit out! Luckily, I had purchased enough of the ingredients to hurry and cut up new fruit to make the smoothie. I am not sure what to do with my mason jars full of frozen fruit ?? Do you have any defrost tricks? Sorry if this question is ridiculous… Thank you!

20. Jadah and Jen

October 22nd, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Hi Britney!
    If you set it out as soon as you wake up then it can defrost as you get ready. Then you can spoon it out of the jar ๐Ÿ™‚

21. AndraJ

December 6th, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Take it out of the freezer first thing in the morning to let it thaw, it doesn’t take long. Do your other morning things and when you get back it will be ready. I use plastic container, only because I have a bunch on hand, and pour the extra back into it and store it in the refrigerator for an an afternoon snack.

22. Kai

October 21st, 2013 at 8:26 am

has anyone tried premaking it? how does it taste? its it thick and creamy in the morning or is it more like drinking “juice”

23. Jadah and Jen

October 22nd, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Hi Kai!
    It still has thickness to it ๐Ÿ™‚ Fresh is always best, but if premaking works better for you then go for it!

24. Shelbey

October 21st, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for these tips. I’ve been experimenting with smoothies for some time, and usually stop because I don’t have what I need when I need it. This will make a huge difference for me. You rawkstars!!!

25. Amy

October 28th, 2013 at 6:38 am

I have been having green smoothies each day for about 3 weeks and i haven’t lost any weight in fact I have gained. I read a lot of stores how people loose weight on green smoothies, but how? They don’t seem to fill me up any ideas?

26. Jadah and Jen

October 28th, 2013 at 7:39 am

Hi Amy,
    It really could be any number of things. We would recommend for people trying to lose weight to start by drinking one 16 ounce green smoothie a day in place of a meal, and eating healthy/normal meals the rest of the day. Are you adding green smoothies to your normal eating habits or replacing? Also, are you drinking more than 16 ounces? Each recipe is designed for two servings, so keep that in mind ๐Ÿ™‚

27. Amy

October 28th, 2013 at 8:20 am

I Drink 1 qt

28. Amy

October 28th, 2013 at 11:34 am

I Drink 1 Qt A Day

29. Sarah

December 6th, 2013 at 6:28 am

You may want to look into Aryuvedic principles. I have read that smoothies are considered ‘kapha’ and more ‘kapha foods’ will in turn make you gain weight, since, I believe they have a cooling effect on the body. That is if you have more of one dosha (Vatta, Pitta, or Kapha). ….If you don’t already know about this, this might sound like a bunch of jibberish. However, ‘Kiki Says’ on Facebook or on her blog has some great resources for figuring out why you might be gaining weight while upping your intake of smoothies, and it has to do with all of these principles. It’s all very interesting! Deepak Chopra also has a great book entitled, ‘Boundless Energy’ in which you eat according to your physiology. Anyway, I freaking love this site with all these smoothie resources. I have been doing variations of the Beginner’s Luck smoothies for over a year and still love it to this day. I am so incredibly grateful for Jadah and Jen! Thanks for all your hard work. It is much appreciated.

30. Pat Anthony

November 8th, 2013 at 5:12 am

Bananas are 69 cents per pound!! My Winn Dixie grocery store sells bananas for 39 cents if they have just a little discoloration on the skin. I buy them up, take them home, peel them and put them in freezer bags ready for my daily smoothies. I am a 69 year old Great Grandma and have a green smoothie every day, go to the gym 3 days a week and have lost weight, but most of all I feel great. My green smoothie starts with Kale and either almond milk or coconut water. I ad any fruits on sale, enough to fill my blender and have two days of energy. God bless you.

31. Jadah and Jen

November 8th, 2013 at 9:00 am

Thank you for being so encouraging! Great tips and very motivational ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep it up!

32. Tracey Zvirblis

December 7th, 2013 at 3:11 am

Pat you are an inspiration!! I’m 51 and have just started juicing in the last 2-3 months, after a “kick up the butt” when my health suddenly went into a nose dive. My hubby and I have embraced green smoothies/juices and the amazing results speak for themselves…we will NEVER look back. I was only thinking the other day to myself “have we left it too late to start?” (hubby is 61 years old) but after reading that you are 69 years young, I’m newly inspired…thank you! My mother-in-law is 81 years young and we have encouraged her too and she is loving the recipes I come up with for her and seeing the benefits already after 4 weeks.

33. Marie

November 13th, 2013 at 7:42 am

Hello Jadah and Jen,

Started my green smoothie challenge. My stomach thanks you and I have
    energy. I’m using stevia instead of sugar and my sister has started with great results.

The ziploc concept is great. I was wondering what to do with the fruit and veggies. I am using the green smoothies as meal replacements.

Thank you, thank you.

34. Jadah S

December 26th, 2013 at 11:29 am

Once you freeze your fruits and veggies in the ziploc bag, you would just pull them our when you’re ready to blend a green smoothie and add the liquid-base.

35. LuAnn

November 13th, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I started on green smoothies 4 days ago and still trying to figure out what works best. Recently found your blog and am loving all the helpful advice and feedback from others! Had no idea I could freeze greens. Thank you for all the help.

36. Jadah S

December 26th, 2013 at 11:29 am

Happy you found us!

37. Karen

December 6th, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Has anyone tried freezing cucumbers?

38. Jadah S

December 26th, 2013 at 11:30 am

I personally haven’t. But that actually sounds so good. You can freeze any fruit or veggie. Let us know how it turns out for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

39. Inderia

January 1st, 2014 at 7:16 am

I have cut them up before freezing in a zip-lock bag. They drain a lot of water, so it freezes almost like a block of ice… So you need a little elbow grease to break off chunks for your smoothies. But it’s worth the work, it give a nice refreshing flavor… I like to add ginger to my smoothies that include cucumbers! Good luck!!

1 2 3 4 6