7-DAY RESET IS HERE
TOP WINTER RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

The ultimate green smoothie prep tip busy people use

perp

Smoothie meal prepping is a great way to save time and have enough smoothies on hand for a week or even a month. There are many ways to speed up the process, yet two of the best ways we have found are Ziploc bags and mason jars. Both ways work well and speed up the process immensely. So gather some bags, mason jars or other freezer safe containers and let’s get prepping!

Prep like a rawkstar

prep11. Slice and measure green smoothie ingredients according to recipe (just leave out the liquids). If using a mason jar, start with fruits and then add leafy greens last so they are towards the top. This helps get them out easier when frozen.

[hr]

prep2
2. Place all ingredients in a freezer safe Ziploc bag (quart size OR gallon size) or container (do not add liquid-base)

[hr]

prep4
3. Label with name of recipe and date made.

[hr]

prep5

4. Place and store in freezer for up to 6 months.

[hr]

prep35. Remove from freezer and pour ingredients into blender along with the liquid base. Blend until smooth!

[hr]

jensprep

If you blender isn’t doing so hot with frozen fruits, you can take your bag (or mason jar) out of the freezer the night before and let it defrost slightly. This also brings out more of the flavors in the fruit, which is awesome. If you are going this route, we also recommend freezing your greens separate from your fruits so they don’t defrost and get soggy. Jen keeps her frozen leafy greens in a gallon size Ziploc and then her fruit measurements in a mason jar.

Can I make my green smoothie the night before?
Yes! You can blend your smoothies ahead of time and store your green smoothies in a sealed container for 1 to 3 days in the fridge. We like to use these quart-size mason jars with the metal bands or these storage caps (click the links to be directed to the products on Amazon). Another perk to blending at night: your neighbors will love you for blending the night before too!

Fresh is always best, but a 2-day old green smoothie is still way better than a bag of the Cheetos (aka: orange dust) or a drive-thru breakfast sandwich. Your goal is to add more fruits and vegetables into your regular diet— and green smoothies will help you get there.

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Chelly

July 1st, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Went shopping yesterday and forgot my pineapple in the car so I made the kale + kiwi lime smoothie today. Like Val, I was excited about it because I thought the flavors would be amazing together. Sad to say,this one is not for me all I could taste was the bitterness of the lime. I tried to force myself to take a few sips to get used to it but no-no I had to pour it out.

I’ve tried your starter smoothie last month and loved it so this is not a swan song for me, I’m sticking to the challenge. I got my pineapple and I’m looking forward to greater success tomorrow.

2. Michelle

July 3rd, 2013 at 3:39 am

I’m glad I was not the only one. I really wanted to like it as well but I could not stomach the lime. I ended up making something else that is not on the recipe list but I’ve tried the citrus breeze (which is yummy) and the Papaya smoothie. Keep it up!

3. Tishalla

July 1st, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Are most fruits or veggies to be peeled? Except apples, peaches and those with edible skins?

4. Jadah and Jen

July 3rd, 2013 at 8:53 am

Most of them, yes 🙂

5. Deeanna

July 4th, 2013 at 7:34 am

Just started the July challenge and I’m super excited! In terms of prep, would you say chopping all fruits and them freezing them separately in bags is ok? I’m thinking it’ll help with making the smoothie colder without adding ice and save time because you’ve already chopped everything.

6. Jadah and Jen

July 5th, 2013 at 6:39 am

Sounds like a great plan, Deeanna 🙂

7. Nina Fredrikke

July 12th, 2013 at 12:25 am

If your smoothie tastes like pepper, it’s not the lime – it’s the kiwi. You should always throw them in last and never blend them to long, because the seeds will get a pepper-like taste if they get powdered 🙂

8. Francesca

September 17th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Maybe I’m an idiot but I can’t find the links to click to find the storage caps? I am always looking for a rust/BPA free way to store my smoothies! I have joined your 30 day challenge and saw someone else mention the 21 day cleanse? Is that always available on the website? I am totally intrigued by it. You ladies have an amazing resource here. Thank you!!!!!

9. kyki

September 28th, 2013 at 8:20 pm

you’re not an idiot, i don’t see the links either 🙂

10. vee

September 23rd, 2013 at 5:08 am

I’m excited for the next challenge! Quick question- I’d like to steam my baby spinach then freeze it (I don’t want raw baby spinach, personally). Would that be ok?

11. Jadah and Jen

September 25th, 2013 at 7:48 am

We prefer to just freeze it instead of steaming, but you can steam if you would like to 🙂

12. Daniella

September 23rd, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Hi, I´ve frozen my leaves before, but some of them turns black and bitter. How do i prevent that from happening?

13. Jadah and Jen

September 25th, 2013 at 7:49 am

Sometimes you can’t keep away the bitterness, but try not to bunch too many up together when freezing. The leaves in the middle will freeze less if they are trapped in the middle of a big bunch!

14. Nicole

September 23rd, 2013 at 7:58 pm

So excited to start this challenge. This smoothie prep will really help me out. Thanks for sharing.

15. Deedra

September 24th, 2013 at 11:04 am

Omg! I can’t wait till this challenge starts. I’ve been doing the green smoothies, but think by doing this it will help.

16. Stacie

September 30th, 2013 at 6:04 am

I did my prep for the entire week last night. I used ziplock bags and wrote what else I needed on them. I kept my greens seperate. I am currently using the bullet blender and cannot wait to hear what you recommend for use there!! Thank you for sharing this with us. I am excited to take this step to a healthier me!

17. Jen Hansard

October 1st, 2013 at 8:37 am

Yeah Stacie! You should have gotten an email about blenders we recommend. If not, check this out here: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/product-reviews/cheap-blender

18. Lindsey

September 30th, 2013 at 4:04 pm

If I prep the night before and freeze the ingredients, can the spinach and other leafy veggies go in blender frozen or should it be defrosted first?

19. Jeanne

September 30th, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Is it okay to freeze the avocado when prepping or should I add in the morning?

20. Adam

September 30th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Hi, Jadah & Jen.

I’m looking forward to the challenge! I’m curious if the mason jar needs to be air tight before freezing, so you don’t hear the pop noise after pressing the top of the lid?

Adam

21. mary

October 4th, 2013 at 6:31 am

I boil my kale 1 Cup waterUsing 1tsp of lemon juice. It helps make the drink smoother and less lleafy. IIuse the liquid right in the smoothie

22. Leslie

October 7th, 2013 at 11:58 am

I bought a huge 5lb bag of baby spinach at the farmers market. It looked so much fresher and tastier than the smaller bags. Then I worried it would go bad, so I was thrilled to read that it’s ok to freeze it.

23. Jadah and Jen

October 8th, 2013 at 5:44 am

That’s exactly how we feel, and why we started freezing, too!

1 2 3 4 8

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25