The Index

Rawk out here too...

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

Hey there! I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two, ultra runner and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos. I took my family's health into my own hands while broke and without health insurance...and have helped 1 million+ other families along the way.

Summer 7-day reset
Weekly MEAL PLANS
Accountability
ADVENTURE RETREATS

year

β€” SUMMER SALE! β€”

The ultimate green smoothie prep tip busy people use

perp

Smoothie meal prepping is a great way to save time and have enough smoothies on hand for a week or even a month. There are many ways to speed up the process, yet two of the best ways we have found are Ziploc bags and mason jars. Both ways work well and speed up the process immensely. So gather some bags, mason jars or other freezer safe containers and let’s get prepping!

Prep like a rawkstar

prep11. Slice and measure green smoothie ingredients according to recipe (just leave out the liquids). If using a mason jar, start with fruits and then add leafy greens last so they are towards the top. This helps get them out easier when frozen.

[hr]

prep2
2. Place all ingredients in a freezer safe Ziploc bag (quart size OR gallon size) or container (do not add liquid-base)

[hr]

prep4
3. Label with name of recipe and date made.

[hr]

prep5

4. Place and store in freezer for up to 6 months.

[hr]

prep35. Remove from freezer and pour ingredients into blender along with the liquid base. Blend until smooth!

[hr]

jensprep

If you blender isn’t doing so hot with frozen fruits, you can take your bag (or mason jar) out of the freezer the night before and let it defrost slightly. This also brings out more of the flavors in the fruit, which is awesome. If you are going this route, we also recommend freezing your greens separate from your fruits so they don’t defrost and get soggy. Jen keeps her frozen leafy greens in a gallon size Ziploc and then her fruit measurements in a mason jar.

Can I make my green smoothie the night before?
Yes! You can blend your smoothies ahead of time and store your green smoothies in a sealed container for 1 to 3 days in the fridge. We like to use these quart-size mason jars with the metal bands or these storage caps (click the links to be directed to the products on Amazon). Another perk to blending at night: your neighbors will love you for blending the night before too!

Fresh is always best, but a 2-day old green smoothie is still way better than a bag of the Cheetos (aka: orange dust) or a drive-thru breakfast sandwich. Your goal is to add more fruits and vegetables into your regular dietβ€” and green smoothies will help you get there.

Filed in:

Comment+

1. Reannon

December 26th, 2013 at 5:18 am

Hi ladies

I’m about to start the January challenge & just want to know how do some of the harder fruits ( apples/pears) blend up? I don’t have the best blender but it does my spinach pretty ok & makes the smoothies quite creamy & lump free. I’m worried adding those types of fruit will make it lumpy…

TIA
    Reannon πŸ™‚

2. Jadah S

December 26th, 2013 at 11:32 am

Happy you’re joining us! Yes, you’re right you may not like that pulpy texture from fruits like apple and pears. You could experiment with one recipe and see how it turns out for you. And if it doesn’t work out, just replace with a fruit that you do like with a 1 to 1 ratio.

3. Keli

December 26th, 2013 at 10:30 am

I have never done green shakes but one of the girls at works drinks one everyday. I have just found out I am insullin resistant and my doctor doesn’t want me to have more than 25g of carbs per meal (4 hour period) plus I have to have protein with it….what would be your suggestions on the smoothies because I noticed they have lots of fruit?
    Looking forward to starting the 30 day challenge.

4. Jadah S

December 26th, 2013 at 11:34 am

Happy you’re joining us! I would consult with your doctor or make sure you have an accurate place to calculate carbs, so you’re not exceeding that. We use more fruits in our green smoothies, so following our exact recipes might not be the best for you. We’ll be cheering you on!

5. Heather Weisenborn

December 26th, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Add gelatin to your smoothie. It is pure protein and will balance the carbs. http://greatlakesgelatin.com/

Good luck!

6. Deb

January 3rd, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Use Greek yogurt for extra protein in your smoothie.

7. Heather

December 26th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I just learned that I am allergic to bananas, coconut, pineapple and cranberries. (All on my top favorites list! ) πŸ™
    Will I be able to make enough variations of the smoothies during the 30 day challenge without these fruits?
    Thanks so much–so looking forward to the challenge on January 1st!

8. Jadah and Jen

December 28th, 2013 at 11:50 am

Hi Heather!
    I don’t believe we use any cranberries during the challenge. Some have coconut. We do like using bananas and pineapple pretty frequently, but there are definitely recipes without those two ingredients. This article may help you figure out how to substitute those items:

9. Heather

December 28th, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Thank you so much for the tips on what to substitute for bananas and pineapple–the article is great and really helpful!

10. cheryl

December 27th, 2013 at 2:54 pm

so when you say you can prep by freezing everything except the liquids, does that mean it’s ok to toss oranges, apples, avocado, grapefruit all in the freezer as well? My email just states that berries, grapes, pineapple, mango and bananas are good to freeze, but this post makes it sound like you can freeze any

11. Jadah and Jen

December 28th, 2013 at 11:51 am

Yes, you can pretty much freeze everything, Cheryl! You will definitely want to chop these items up, though, so they freeze evenly πŸ™‚

12. Jamie

December 29th, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Can you use coconut milk?

13. Jadah and Jen

December 30th, 2013 at 11:02 am

Yep!

14. Tiffany

December 30th, 2013 at 7:52 am

Have you ever put apple cider vinegar in any of your smoothies? I have read wonderful things about ACV and would like to get it into my diet more but takin straight shots of it is a bit intimidating and I dont like to add it to my water. AlsoΒ if I were to add herds such as basil, cilantro, ect how much would you suggest I add? Thank you can’t wait to get healthier and be fabulous in the new year!

15. Jadah and Jen

December 30th, 2013 at 11:02 am

We haven’t use it before, Tiffany. Sorry!

16. Tiffany

December 30th, 2013 at 11:16 am

I didnt realize I had posted this in 2 different sorry. πŸ™‚

17. Diane

December 30th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Mix 1-2 tbs raw unfiltered ACV (I use Braggs) with 1-2 tbs raw unfiltered honey & 8-10 oz hot water to taste. Makes a great hot & healthy drink.

18. Tiffany

December 30th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

19. Lisa Y

December 31st, 2013 at 5:11 am

I buy containers of pre-washed greens like kale, spinach and arugula when they are reduced for quick sale and pop them right into the freezer, because they are loosely packed they don’t freeze together so you can just take a handful or two out as needed. Not only are you saving money but it’s so convenient because there is no prep work!

20. Jadah and Jen

January 2nd, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Totally agree, Lisa. We love tossing our greens (and fruits) in the freezer. πŸ™‚

21. Honnah

January 2nd, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Hi, I’m just starting the challenge and am wondering if I can use pre-packaged frozen spinach in these recipes? Will I need to add more/less to the recipe or if this completely differs from fresh spinach? Thanks!

22. Jadah and Jen

January 2nd, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Yes you can but we recommend buying fresh and using that first. Then, if the spinach looks like it’s going to turn bad, toss into the freezer and use for your green smoothies. πŸ™‚
    The amount might be a tad off, you might have to do a little adjusting.

23. Karen

January 4th, 2014 at 6:12 am

Day 4 and loving it!
    Someone wrote they don’t live in the US and weren’t familiar with weights and measures differences/conversions. If they purchase a Weight Watchers Food Scale, problem solved on the weight measurement issue…you can choose grams or ounces.

24. Jaime

January 4th, 2014 at 10:55 am

Loving the challenge! Can you repost the links for the mason jars/storage containers that you like? Thanks!

25. Sara

January 5th, 2014 at 9:17 am

hi – just found your website & love it tips! I was wanting to prep in the freezer to make the mornings faster, but wondered if chia seeds can be frozen?

26. Jadah and Jen

January 6th, 2014 at 11:11 am

Great question, Sara! We’ll have to look into that. We usually just add chia seeds when we’re blending, or soak them overnight.

27. Charle

January 6th, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Great tips…didn’t know I could use the mason jars in the freezer…….

28. Sugey

January 9th, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Can you freeze kale?

29. Karen

January 9th, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Absolutely.

30. Jadah and Jen

January 10th, 2014 at 10:01 am

Karen’s right, Sugey! You can πŸ™‚

31. Marilyn

January 23rd, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I am so happy to hear that kale can be frozen. I have tossed out lots of kale because they turned yellow in the fridge. I am so happy i was put onto this site. Loving it immensely and just started two days ago!

32. MIchelle

January 14th, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Note to Charle- if you freeze liquids in Mason jars, be sure to leave at least 1″ of headroom so the jar doesn’t explode on everything.

33. Jadah and Jen

January 16th, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Great tip, Michelle! πŸ˜‰

34. Karen

January 14th, 2014 at 5:01 pm

To save space in the freezer, I put 2 cups of spinach in a ziplock bag, squish out the excess air, and toss it in the freeze for 24 hours. Once frozen the spinach becomes brittle, so I take the bags out, open just a bit, and pound with my hand to break up the spinach. Squish out the excess air again, reseal and toss back in the freezer. You now have a ziplock bag of spinach that is 1/4-1/2″ thick instead of 2″ thick.

35. Jadah and Jen

January 16th, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Thanks for the great tips, Karen! πŸ™‚

36. Earlean

January 16th, 2014 at 3:17 am

I just wanted to say thank you for your simply green smoothie recipes. They are great and it makes it exciting going to the grocery store to get the ingredients. It’s funny how I walk past the chips and dips for more fruits and veggies. I Love It!

37. Jadah and Jen

January 16th, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Woohoo, Earlean!! Keep up the great work! πŸ™‚

38. Katherine

January 20th, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Great tips! I have been doing prep the night before for the morning’s smoothie, but it would be even easier to do the prep work for the week’s smoothies on Sunday. I LOVE your site…thanks for everything you post. I have been doing green smoothies for a week now and I feel awesome. My energy is up and my clothes are fitting better. It is amazing. I’ll keep updating on my progress…this is definitely not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change!

39. Jadah and Jen

January 21st, 2014 at 9:35 am

So great to hear! Thanks for sharing how you’re doing, Katherine πŸ™‚

40. Janette

January 23rd, 2014 at 10:07 am

I just came across your website and have signed up for the 30 day challenge! I am excited about adding veggies and fruits to my diet in a fun way! I am a first time mom to a beautiful 3 month old. I am exclusively breast feeding. Is there anything I should watch for in my little one or stay away from? Thanks for this great website too!

41. Jadah and Jen

January 23rd, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Hi Janette! Congrats on your little one. How exciting. We’d recommend to stay away from anything that upsets your baby and anything with green tea. It has caffeine which should be avoided. πŸ™‚

42. Nicole

January 25th, 2014 at 6:19 am

Hey guys, I’m LOVING this tip!!!! I can’t even begin to count how many bags of spinach and kale got tossed because they went bad in the refrigerator waiting to get used up, so this should be a money saver too. I’m wondering though, if we’re freezing spinach or kale, could you just use already frozen spinach from the grocery store? Its so much more affordable than the fresh bags! Would it make any difference?

43. Karen

January 25th, 2014 at 7:15 am

I think the processing they put it through may cost you some nutrients, but better some than none, right? I don’t know how it would process in the blender, but certainly worth a try. I haven’t any on hand (haven’t eaten anything but raw spinach since having to eat that canned green slime as a child–yuck), so if you try it, please share the outcome.

44. Jadah and Jen

January 27th, 2014 at 10:52 am

Hi Nicole! Karen has some good insight πŸ™‚ They usually blanch the leafy greens before freezing which makes the taste more potent and loses some nutrients. We prefer to freeze what we buy fresh!

45. kry

January 28th, 2014 at 12:33 pm

What’s the best inexpensive protein to use in the smoothies?

1 2 3 4 5 6
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies