FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

The ultimate green smoothie prep tip busy people use

5.17.2013

perp

Smoothie meal prepping is a great way to save time and have enough smoothies on hand for a week or even a month. There are many ways to speed up the process, yet two of the best ways we have found are Ziploc bags and mason jars. Both ways work well and speed up the process immensely. So gather some bags, mason jars or other freezer safe containers and let’s get prepping!

Prep like a rawkstar

prep11. Slice and measure green smoothie ingredients according to recipe (just leave out the liquids). If using a mason jar, start with fruits and then add leafy greens last so they are towards the top. This helps get them out easier when frozen.

[hr]

prep2
2. Place all ingredients in a freezer safe Ziploc bag (quart size OR gallon size) or container (do not add liquid-base)

[hr]

prep4
3. Label with name of recipe and date made.

[hr]

prep5

4. Place and store in freezer for up to 6 months.

[hr]

prep35. Remove from freezer and pour ingredients into blender along with the liquid base. Blend until smooth!

[hr]

jensprep

If you blender isn’t doing so hot with frozen fruits, you can take your bag (or mason jar) out of the freezer the night before and let it defrost slightly. This also brings out more of the flavors in the fruit, which is awesome. If you are going this route, we also recommend freezing your greens separate from your fruits so they don’t defrost and get soggy. Jen keeps her frozen leafy greens in a gallon size Ziploc and then her fruit measurements in a mason jar.

Can I make my green smoothie the night before?
Yes! You can blend your smoothies ahead of time and store your green smoothies in a sealed container for 1 to 3 days in the fridge. We like to use these quart-size mason jars with the metal bands or these storage caps (click the links to be directed to the products on Amazon). Another perk to blending at night: your neighbors will love you for blending the night before too!

Fresh is always best, but a 2-day old green smoothie is still way better than a bag of the Cheetos (aka: orange dust) or a drive-thru breakfast sandwich. Your goal is to add more fruits and vegetables into your regular diet— and green smoothies will help you get there.

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. BillG says:

any suggestions on a freezer safe alternative to mason jars? even if it’s up-cycling another food container. Looking for something that’s smooth, straight-walled and has less than a 4″ opening.

I’ve been bringing my frozen ingredients to my office (where i have a second Ninja base to mitigate the eye-rolling at home when that puppy gets grinding).

Would like to avoid disposables & look for something that would slip right into the Ninja tumblers.

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Bill,

A Ziploc bag or freezer safe Tupperware make a great substitute for freezer safe mason jars!

2. Emma Cameron says:

Hi, is it ok to blend all my smoothies for the week on one day, freeze them and then take what I want out for the day?

Thanks, Emma.

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Emma,

Of course you can! It’s all about finding what works best for you! We like to thaw them in the fridge overnight. If you’re planning on storing your green smoothies, we suggest adding a small amount of lemon juice to help preserve their green goodness!

Cheers 🙂

3. Matt says:

Why is it important to dry your kale before you freeze it? I can see if you want to freeze it for over a week you might want to dry it off, but if you’re only freezing it for 5 days, why take the effort to dry it first? Thanks!

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Matt,

We like to dry off our leafy greens to prevent any ice build-up, and to keep our leafy greens from sticking together. But it’s all about what works best for you!

Cheers 🙂

4. Elizaabeth says:

do you replace meals with smooties i would like to know how many time a day do you make them i am also 30lbs over weight my son is active he works out all the time and makes his drinks out of cottage cheese,bananas,milk i cant drink what he drinks i need a menu i can follow i am terrible at trying to figure out what to follow i need a monday-sunday menu if you could help me that would be great

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Elizabeth,

We are so excited to have you blendin’ with us! You can replace one to two meals with Simple Green Smoothies! If you’re using green smoothies as a meal replacement, we suggest adding protein + healthy fats to ensure it’s a complete meal. Learn more at the link below, and let us know how else we can help!

P.S. Our 30-day challenges are a great way to get recipe suggestions for each day! We’re starting our next challenge June 1!

Cheers 🙂

5. Kristi says:

When doing your prep to freeze, is it OK to freeze advocado?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Kristi,

Of course! If you want to keep your avocado from going bad, then go ahead and freeze it! You simply purée/mash it, put it in a air tight bag, and place it in the freezer. It might help to put a little lemon juice in with it, too! Don’t be surprised if the color is less of a vibrant green and more of a dull brown–it still has a great taste and lots of nutrients!

6. Nancy says:

Is frozen spinach or kale from the freezer section of the store just as good as buying fresh then freezing?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Nancy,

Freezing leafy greens is a great way to keep them from going bad! We prefer to use fresh greens, you just need to rinse them, pat them dry, and place them in an air tight bag in the freezer. This will keep your leafy greens fresh for months, and your wallet happy!

7. Jo says:

Hi,

I made a smoothie last night with the intent of having it today. OMG, the whole thing tasted absolutely GROSS when I had it today and I don’t know why.

Since drinking the little bit I had today (couldn’t stomach the rest) I’ve felt nauseous.

Here’s what it consisted of….

Almond Milk (300ml), handful of red/green kale, spinach, a little cucumber, half a frozen banana, frozen blueberries, & frozen cherries.

The consistency last night was thick, but this morning it was thinner than milk!

What did I do wrong, any ideas?

TIA

8. Brooke says:

Hi,
    I really love green smoothies but have only made ones using water as my liquid base. I have to catch the school bus early in the morning and don’t have time to make one so I make it the night before and put it in the fridge. However, I have been too scared to use almond or coconut milk in them because I think it might go off when it is combined with my fruit and veggies. Do you guys have any problems with using almond/coconut milk the night before? Does it still taste ok?

9. Mijenou says:

I love you guys, started my green smoothie journey about 2 years ago, and I had never felt more alive.
    Then I became a momma bear and let exhaustion lead me into temptation a.k.a crap-food.
    I have recently jumped back into my healthy habits. The both of you have always been a source of inspiration, and for that I am immensely grateful.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

10. Laura says:

I make my smoothie packs ahead and freeze them flat. They are easier to break up even while still frozen. My question: why would my fruit pack smell rotten? All of my fruits (except banana and pomegranate) were already frozen. The kale and spinach literally came out of the ground the same morning I made the packs. I did pre-wash and air dry but they weren’t bone dry. I figured a little moisture left on the leaves would just help them freeze faster. Or did I not let them dry sufficiently before freezing? I use a vacuum sealer for my packs, and a Vitamix to blend. I’m sitting here afraid to eat this smoothie because it smells bad, and wondering if my whole batch (14 packs) is no good.

11. Megan says:

I’ve recently started making myself green smoothies with spinach, strawberries, bananas, pineapple, and flax seed (which kind of ends up being a brown smoothie). I decided to make some smoothies ahead of time for the week, and kept them in the fridge in sealed plastic cups. I opened up my fridge this morning to find my smoothie exploded. The plastic cup it was in practically split in half! So as much as I encourage planning ahead, I wouldn’t recommend making smoothies any more than 1 day in advance because even the smoothie I had yesterday was very fizzy.

12. Karen says:

Hi!

So excited to have found this website! Do you suggest steaming the leafy greens due to greens high in oxalic acid prior to freezing them? I have heard when they are frozen raw, the oxalic acid can cause kidney stones.

Thanks!
    Karen

13. Tammy says:

Hi, am trying various smoothies for both wt loss & also to incorporate fruits & veggies into my diet. My blender had serious problems chopping up the spinach. Any suggestions? Don’t want to purchase a food processor. Is it ok to chop/use kitchen scissors before blending?

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Hi Tammy!
      Have you tried blending the leafy greens and liquid together first, and then adding the rest of the content? That could help!

• Tammy says:

Sort of I guess. Had the spinach and liquids in blender first then added the solids on top but my blender just spun around w/o chopping it up much. I had to pause a bunch of times and stir things around so the blades could actually grip something. Took forever, thought I’d blow up the blender!

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Could you try blending just the liquid and greens first? After they are a juice-like consistency add the rest of the ingredients 🙂

• Tammy says:

Thanks, I tried that as well as rough cut my spinanch and it worked out great!

14. Rebecca says:

I’ve been doing green smoothies for a few months. I feel so much better! I really was never much of a breakfast eater and by lunch I’d eat anything I could get my mouth around. This has helped me get my daily eating habits under control.

I add coconut oil, Chia seeds and Kefir along with kale, spinach (sometimes beets) and whatever fruits I have on hand. I’m so glad to have found this site as I too have been tossing more fruits and greens than I’d like to admit. I just bagged and froze a weeks supply!! This method will help tons!

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Awesome to hear, Rebecca! So glad to be a part of this healthy eating journey with you!

15. Denise says:

When I freeze my fruit I cut it up and freeze it individually then after frozen I bag it up. This keeps the fruit from becoming a fruit brick and makes blending easier. I also have a vitamix and have never had any problems blending frozen fruits and veggies.

1 4 5 6 7 8

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE