The Index

Rawk out here too...

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

Hey there! I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two, ultra runner and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos. I took my family's health into my own hands while broke and without health insurance...and have helped 1 million+ other families along the way.

Summer 7-day reset
Weekly MEAL PLANS
Accountability
ADVENTURE RETREATS

year

— SUMMER SALE! —

The ultimate green smoothie prep tip busy people use

perp

Smoothie meal prepping is a great way to save time and have enough smoothies on hand for a week or even a month. There are many ways to speed up the process, yet two of the best ways we have found are Ziploc bags and mason jars. Both ways work well and speed up the process immensely. So gather some bags, mason jars or other freezer safe containers and let’s get prepping!

Prep like a rawkstar

prep11. Slice and measure green smoothie ingredients according to recipe (just leave out the liquids). If using a mason jar, start with fruits and then add leafy greens last so they are towards the top. This helps get them out easier when frozen.

[hr]

prep2
2. Place all ingredients in a freezer safe Ziploc bag (quart size OR gallon size) or container (do not add liquid-base)

[hr]

prep4
3. Label with name of recipe and date made.

[hr]

prep5

4. Place and store in freezer for up to 6 months.

[hr]

prep35. Remove from freezer and pour ingredients into blender along with the liquid base. Blend until smooth!

[hr]

jensprep

If you blender isn’t doing so hot with frozen fruits, you can take your bag (or mason jar) out of the freezer the night before and let it defrost slightly. This also brings out more of the flavors in the fruit, which is awesome. If you are going this route, we also recommend freezing your greens separate from your fruits so they don’t defrost and get soggy. Jen keeps her frozen leafy greens in a gallon size Ziploc and then her fruit measurements in a mason jar.

Can I make my green smoothie the night before?
Yes! You can blend your smoothies ahead of time and store your green smoothies in a sealed container for 1 to 3 days in the fridge. We like to use these quart-size mason jars with the metal bands or these storage caps (click the links to be directed to the products on Amazon). Another perk to blending at night: your neighbors will love you for blending the night before too!

Fresh is always best, but a 2-day old green smoothie is still way better than a bag of the Cheetos (aka: orange dust) or a drive-thru breakfast sandwich. Your goal is to add more fruits and vegetables into your regular diet— and green smoothies will help you get there.

Filed in:

Comment+

1. Jenna

April 29th, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Hi! The links to the mason jars and lids you use (for storing smoothies) don’t seem to be working. Could you give me the links in a comment? Thanks!

2. SGS Rawkstar

May 2nd, 2016 at 8:51 am

Hi Jenna,

Oh no! We’re so sorry the links aren’t working for you. Find all of our favorite jars and lids here…

3. Margaret Mundy

June 6th, 2016 at 7:07 am

I am now getting into smoothies—doing a detox. I travel for work (on an airplane, 2/3 days in a hotel) and am wondering, ….can I blend the ingredients (Romaine, parsely, pineapple, coconut oil, H2O), and freeze them? Wondering how they would be after thawing???

4. SGS Rawkstar

June 6th, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Hi Margaret!

Thanks for reaching out! You can totally blend your smoothies ahead of time + freeze them :). Just be sure they’re in an airtight container, and I’d personally add a little lemon juice to preserve flavor. To thaw, simply put them in the fridge overnight! And be sure to give your smoothie a good shake before drinking :).

5. Sharon

June 25th, 2016 at 9:02 am

Hi there,
    Thought I’d inquire if you can preblend your greens with lemon juice, instead of water, prior to freezing?
    I’ve started preblending my greens on the weekends and pouring them into silicone cupcake molds, then freezing. After set, I peel off the molds and put them in gallon size freezer bags. I thaw in the fridge the night before using.

It’s been tremendously helpful in the mornings but was concerned the lemon juice might not fare so well with the frozen greens instead of water. What are your thoughts?

6. SGS Rawkstar

June 27th, 2016 at 11:23 am

Hi Sharon!

Thanks so much for reaching out! I personally haven’t tried blending with just lemon juice. When I freeze or refrigerate my pre-blended smoothies, I always add a little lemon juice to help preserve flavor, so it could be worth experimenting with different ratios of lemon juice + water to find what tastes best to you!

7. Fyza

June 29th, 2016 at 11:13 am

Hi!
    I’m trying not to waste so many ziplock baggies. Has anybody used tupperware instead?

8. SGS Rawkstar

June 29th, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Hi Fyza!

Thanks for reaching out! As long as it’s freezer-safe, you can absolutely use Tupperware to prep your smoothies in advance :). Mason jars are another great option! I use them for everything…drinking glasses, flower vases, storing dry goods. They’re the best!

9. Adriana

July 18th, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Hi, If i want to add chia or flaxseed, can you freeze it too or you just add it right before blending?
    Thanks a lot

10. SGS Rawkstar

July 19th, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Hi Adriana!

I personally prefer to add my chia or flax seed right before blending (or sprinkle the chia on top after blendin’!).

Cheers :).

-Rawkstar Tessa

11. Ryan

August 31st, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Hi!
    I have been pre-freezing smoothies in zip-loc bags for a while and have been thinking about freezing the smoothies already blended. Would it be OK to do that with Greek Yogurt and Coconut water as a liquid base? Would you still add lemon juice?
    Thank you!

12. SGS Rawkstar

August 31st, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Hi Ryan,

You can definitely freeze your pre-blended smoothies! They’ll keep in your freezer for up to two months! Simply place in the refrigerator the night before your ready to enjoy. FYI: Separation is completely natural, simply give your smoothie a quick shake + enjoy.

Adding lemon juice is still a great idea to help preserve all of your smoothie’s green goodness!

Cheers 🙂

13. Sam

September 3rd, 2016 at 7:58 am

hi! I have a question, in case my smoothie has more of vegetables such as spinach, beetroot and cucumber and I want to blend it in the morning and carry it with me, will it separate out the liquid like water content on top of the mason jar and thick part sit in the base, does this happen with smoothies and if so, how I can avoid it, if I am carrying my smoothies and having it later? Also suggest, if I can add or replace any ingredient to avoid it? Does freezing will avoid such situations? Thank you!

14. SGS Rawkstar

September 6th, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Hi Sam,

All of our recipes are free of any yucky additives or stabilizers, so separation is completely natural! Simply give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying.

15. Min

September 15th, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Hi I am just starting out smoothie person . Is there budget friendly way to make both fruit and veggie smoothies? I am trying to lose me pounds by increasing my intake of fresh raw ingredients.

16. SGS Rawkstar

September 15th, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Hi Min,

If you are new to eating a lot of fruits and veggies, your grocery bill may be a little shocking with the extra fresh and frozen produce purchases. Overtime, you will eliminate a lot of processed food items which will in turn bring your grocery bill back to normal. But here are a few quick tips to saving money on produce.

-Make a shopping list: Making a weekly meal planning list that covers what you will eat on a daily basis will help you only buy what you need. Make sure to include snacks in your meal plan and shopping list, too.

-Buy seasonal fruit and veggies: Purchasing produce is in season and is typically cheaper. And if you see a good deal on fresh fruits and veggies, purchase in bulk and freeze for future smoothies.

-Buy out of season fruits frozen: Costco and Sam’s Club sell large bags of organic frozen fruit at good prices. If your freezer can accommodate bags in bulk, take advantage of making these purchases.

-Buy from local fruit stands, farmer’s markets and CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture): For the tastiest and most fresh organic produce, buy locally. Not only has the produce been grown and harvested close to home, but buying locally also helps our environment by eliminating the time and resources needed to deliver. Visit, http://www.LocalHarvest.org to find your local farm, farmers markets, and other local food sources.

-Follow the EWG’s Dirty Dozen: This list will help you know what is worth getting organic and what you can buy conventional.

Hope this helps!

17. Cathy

November 2nd, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Hi Jenna!

Is it good to use soy milk?

18. SGS Rawkstar

November 3rd, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Hi Jenna,

Thanks for reaching out. We believe that small amounts of organic, non-GMO soy are fine (like tamari and tempeh) but we recommend staying away from highly-processed unfermented soy products which can interfere with nutrient absorption and leach nutrients from your body. Soy milk, soy burgers, and soy ice cream are all in this category. Two great alternative to soy milk are unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk.

We love them both!

19. Tee

November 6th, 2016 at 5:55 pm

I have coffee jars for storing liquids, I know it my sound cheap do you think I could use for storing smoothie overnight? ,thanks

20. SGS Rawkstar

November 7th, 2016 at 6:15 am

Hi Tee,

Cheers to being resourceful! Our favorite mason jar hack is using old jars like those for tomato sauce. Simply remove the label, clean the jar, instant smoothie container! As long as the coffee jar is air tight, we think it’s a great option.

21. Curious George

April 3rd, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Hi, I am trying the mason jar smoothies for the first time. Came across this and realized it would be so much easier in the morning for me, so thank you! Question I have …. I put frozen fruit, fresh spinach leaves, fresh basil, a banana, protein powder, … and some Greek yogurt in the jar and then froze. Is adding the Greek yogurt alright to do? What is this about lemon juice also? Do I need to put that in also? I thought if this works then I can just add liquid .. either almond milk, juice or water in the morning and blend quickly. I assume adding the liquid is better for waiting until morning? Do you see any problems with any of this? Really appreciate your reply. Thank you

22. SGS Rawkstar

April 3rd, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Hi Curious George,

I’m so excited you found us in this busy digital world! I’d suggest adding greek yogurt right before you’re ready to blend. Because it’s a liquid consistency, when frozen, it may make your smoothie hard to toss into the blender. So save all liquids until the morning.

Also, adding lemon is for storing your blended smoothie. They’ll keep in your refrigerator for up to two days in an airtight container, and adding a little lemon juice will help preserve all of their green goodness!

Hope this helps!

23. Cynthia

April 21st, 2018 at 8:09 am

I am looking for a green smoothie for the skin that I can make ahead. I came across your site and am going to try to do ahead my ingredients. Do you have a particular recipe for the skin?

24. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

April 25th, 2018 at 12:13 pm

Hi Cynthia,

Looking to improve your skin health? I have the perfect green smoothie for you! Check out our SPA skin cleanser recipe here…

25. Martha

May 15th, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Thank you so much for generously sharing your knowledge. I find your tips so helpful. I am slowly transitioning to plant based eating and I find your site (you) to be supportive and nonjudgmental. This will be my one of my frequently visited sites as I go on my journey to health. Blessings to you!

26. Michelle

November 28th, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Looking for a smoothie I can make ahead for my husband and myself. My husband leaves at 3AM and a blender that early will definitely wake our 18-month old. We need a green smoothie recipe that’s tailored towards weight loss and natural energy. Any suggestions?

27. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

April 24th, 2019 at 3:35 pm

Hey Michelle,

You should check out our “Fat Burner” smoothies. Also our smoothies can last up to 2 days in an air tight container. So you can always blend the day before or night before and store in your fridge for the next morning.

Hope that helps!

28. nikole myers

April 23rd, 2019 at 9:42 pm

can’t locate the hack for freezing bananas ahead of time – saw it in one of the books but can’t find it now

29. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

April 24th, 2019 at 3:55 pm

Hey Nikole,

You can check out more of our smoothie prep tips here:

1 4 5 6
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies