FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

The ultimate green smoothie prep tip busy people use

perp

Smoothie meal prepping is a great way to save time and have enough smoothies on hand for a week or even a month. There are many ways to speed up the process, yet two of the best ways we have found are Ziploc bags and mason jars. Both ways work well and speed up the process immensely. So gather some bags, mason jars or other freezer safe containers and let’s get prepping!

Prep like a rawkstar

prep11. Slice and measure green smoothie ingredients according to recipe (just leave out the liquids). If using a mason jar, start with fruits and then add leafy greens last so they are towards the top. This helps get them out easier when frozen.

[hr]

prep2
2. Place all ingredients in a freezer safe Ziploc bag (quart size OR gallon size) or container (do not add liquid-base)

[hr]

prep4
3. Label with name of recipe and date made.

[hr]

prep5

4. Place and store in freezer for up to 6 months.

[hr]

prep35. Remove from freezer and pour ingredients into blender along with the liquid base. Blend until smooth!

[hr]

jensprep

If you blender isn’t doing so hot with frozen fruits, you can take your bag (or mason jar) out of the freezer the night before and let it defrost slightly. This also brings out more of the flavors in the fruit, which is awesome. If you are going this route, we also recommend freezing your greens separate from your fruits so they don’t defrost and get soggy. Jen keeps her frozen leafy greens in a gallon size Ziploc and then her fruit measurements in a mason jar.

Can I make my green smoothie the night before?
Yes! You can blend your smoothies ahead of time and store your green smoothies in a sealed container for 1 to 3 days in the fridge. We like to use these quart-size mason jars with the metal bands or these storage caps (click the links to be directed to the products on Amazon). Another perk to blending at night: your neighbors will love you for blending the night before too!

Fresh is always best, but a 2-day old green smoothie is still way better than a bag of the Cheetos (aka: orange dust) or a drive-thru breakfast sandwich. Your goal is to add more fruits and vegetables into your regular diet— and green smoothies will help you get there.

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Adriana says:

Hi, If i want to add chia or flaxseed, can you freeze it too or you just add it right before blending?
    Thanks a lot

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Adriana!

I personally prefer to add my chia or flax seed right before blending (or sprinkle the chia on top after blendin’!).

Cheers :).

-Rawkstar Tessa

2. Fyza says:

Hi!
    I’m trying not to waste so many ziplock baggies. Has anybody used tupperware instead?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Fyza!

Thanks for reaching out! As long as it’s freezer-safe, you can absolutely use Tupperware to prep your smoothies in advance :). Mason jars are another great option! I use them for everything…drinking glasses, flower vases, storing dry goods. They’re the best!

3. Sharon says:

Hi there,
    Thought I’d inquire if you can preblend your greens with lemon juice, instead of water, prior to freezing?
    I’ve started preblending my greens on the weekends and pouring them into silicone cupcake molds, then freezing. After set, I peel off the molds and put them in gallon size freezer bags. I thaw in the fridge the night before using.

It’s been tremendously helpful in the mornings but was concerned the lemon juice might not fare so well with the frozen greens instead of water. What are your thoughts?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Sharon!

Thanks so much for reaching out! I personally haven’t tried blending with just lemon juice. When I freeze or refrigerate my pre-blended smoothies, I always add a little lemon juice to help preserve flavor, so it could be worth experimenting with different ratios of lemon juice + water to find what tastes best to you!

4. Margaret Mundy says:

I am now getting into smoothies—doing a detox. I travel for work (on an airplane, 2/3 days in a hotel) and am wondering, ….can I blend the ingredients (Romaine, parsely, pineapple, coconut oil, H2O), and freeze them? Wondering how they would be after thawing???

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Margaret!

Thanks for reaching out! You can totally blend your smoothies ahead of time + freeze them :). Just be sure they’re in an airtight container, and I’d personally add a little lemon juice to preserve flavor. To thaw, simply put them in the fridge overnight! And be sure to give your smoothie a good shake before drinking :).

5. Jenna says:

Hi! The links to the mason jars and lids you use (for storing smoothies) don’t seem to be working. Could you give me the links in a comment? Thanks!

6. Larry says:

My wife and I are loving the green smoothies for breakfast every day. We’re into our third month now! We travel for a 4-10 day period almost every month. Taking the blender isn’t always an option. Propane fridge but no electricity. Blending ahead and refrigerating didn’t work out so well. On the third day the blend was gelatinous but didn’t smell. We tossed it anyways, just to be safe. We’ll try freezing in mason jars ahead of the next trip. You advise to add lemon juice but I haven’t seen anything on how to do this. Is it blended in? If so, how much do I use? Or is it added on top as an air barrier?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Larry,

Thank you so much for reaching out. We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us. You’re right, by Day 3, your smoothie won’t be that pretty or tasty. We suggest enjoying our recipes within two days, and storing pre-blended smoothies in an airtight container in your refrigerator.

Curious about how to add lemon to your green smoothie? I add approximately 1 tbsp of lemon juice when storing my green smoothie, and blend it right in with the rest of my ingredients. The acidity in the lemon helps preserve all of their green goodness.

Blending on the go without a fridge? We’ve heard from many members of our community that they’ve found success blending our smoothies, freezing them beforehand, and then keeping in a cooler packed with ice while on the go. When they’re ready to enjoy they simply allow their smoothie to defrost in the open. Do know that because our recipes are free of any yucky preservatives or stabilizers separation is completely natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying.

Learn more about traveling with your green smoothie here…

Hope this helps! Reach out with any questions!

7. Cryssi says:

Soooooooo I’m allergic to lemons….. what’s another alternative to making my smoothies last longer???

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Cryssi,

Are you allergic to limes or citrus? The acidity in limes or citrus will also help preserve your green smoothies! 🙂

8. MONIQUE says:

can you make smoothie and freeze it

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Monique,

Of course you can! Simply allow your smoothie to thaw in the refrigerator overnight when you’re ready to enjoy. And just a quick FYI: separation is completely natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying!

Cheers 🙂

9. El says:

If I have raw spinach in a bag in the veggie section of the fridge and it is starting to darken and go a little soggy, is there anyway of salvaging it for a smoothie? Freeze while at this point or is it lost and has to be discarded?

10. Donna says:

Can you freeze fresh Swiss chard from the garden raw or do I blanch it first Thanks

11. Diane says:

Do you wash fruits and veggies before placing in the freezer bags?

12. Toni says:

Hello,

I am usually on the go in the mornings and I don’t have much time to blend my smoothies. Do you think it’s okay I blend a gallons worth of a green smoothie and store it in the refrigerator for the entire week?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Toni,

Great question! Our green smoothies will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days, we also suggest adding a small amount of lemon juice to help preserve their green goodness! Looking to really stock up on pre-blended green smoothies, freeze them, then thaw them in the refrigerator the night before. Separation is natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying!

Cheers 🙂

13. Kelly Howard says:

love this idea….. So you can freeze spinach along w fruit in freezer ziplock bag??? What else do you put in smoothies… I’m fairly new at making them, I use spinach, grapes, or cherries, almond milk, little almond butter, and frozen fruits to give the milk shake feel….

Thanks,
    Kelly

14. Karen says:

Is it ok freeze a smoothie overnight so it’s a grab and go at 330 am when I leaving early for work and slushy to drink a little later?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Karen,

Do you have a fridge available at work? Simple Green Smoothies will keep in the fridge for up to two days in an air-tight container. We suggest adding a small amount of lemon juice to preserve their green goodness. If you don’t have a fridge available, using a thermos or freezing your pre-blended smoothie the night before is a great option! With storing + freezing separation is natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying!

Hope this helps! And let us know what you decide to do!

Cheers 🙂

15. KAREN says:

When measuring out frozen fruit is it best to use a dry measuring cup or a liquid measuring cup?

1 5 6 7 8

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE