FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

Should Guys Drink Green Smoothies?

Should Guys Drink Green Smoothies? 10 reasons why it's good for men's health

Should guys drink green smoothies? Let me share my experience…

I’ve never been overweight, but I’ve also never been incredibly fit.

This is a place where I think a lot of guys live, and it can be frustrating. Even when I was playing sports, going to the gym, biking around town or hitting the gym five days a week, I still wouldn’t reach a point where I could look at myself and say, “I’m in great shape.” No matter how hard I would work, it felt like something was missing.

In college, I had a goal to complete the P90X program (Tony Horton is the man!). It was pretty tough for the first couple of weeks, but my strength and stamina grew. By the time I finished the 90-day program, I physically felt like I was in the best shape of my life, but there was something that still felt “off.” Yeah, I could play basketball for two straight hours without feeling winded, but my legs would cramp up at night, my stomach would hurt after almost every meal, and I couldn’t seem to get rid some of the fat that covered up the new muscles I had busted my butt to create.

Our body functions based on the type of fuel we put in it.

Looking back, I realize I didn’t understand what healthy eating really was. I would always head to the dining hall right after finishing a workout to grab some dinner. One of my favorite things to eat was chicken nachos. I would grab a plate, add chips, cut up some chicken, sprinkle with lettuce, and top with shredded cheese. After all that, I would look down and say, “Wow, now that is a delicious AND healthy dinner!” That was back when I thought iceberg lettuce was a vegetable. It’s no wonder that my body didn’t feel right—I wasn’t giving it the nutrients it needed to thrive!

Fast forward about two years. I’m now eating more vegetables and fruit than ever (still a meat-eater), finished the Fresh Start 21 Cleanse for the first time, staying active and exercising, and am much closer to feeling like my body is where it should be. Exercising has always been good for me, but once I started to combine it with healthy eating my stomach aches, leg cramps, and extra fat started to disappear.

So, how did I go from thinking a plate of nachos was healthy to eating an abundance of nutritious foods each day? Green smoothies.

Green smoothies were my true introduction to healthy eating and feeding my body right. My wife and I started drinking them when Jen and her family made us told us we should try them. Now we continue drinking them because we feel better when we do. And I want to share reasons why I think you should start drinking green smoothies too…

Why Men Should Drink Green Smoothies - 10 Top Reasons

10 reasons men should drink green smoothies

Below are 10 reasons why I think all men should be drinking green smoothies. It’s my hope you join the green smoothie lifestyle to fuel your body with nutritious foods so you feel better every day.

1. Fuels your body with nutrition from the moment you wake up

I used to feel guilty because I didn’t eat a bunch of fruit and veggies. It just wasn’t what I craved—and I know it has a lot to do with that big bowl of cereal I would have for breakfast (there’s not much nutrition in that). Now I pack my blender with fresh fruits, leafy greens and lot of liquid to create a fast and nutritious breakfast. It’s like having a salad for breakfast (but it actually tastes really good!). When I start the day with a green smoothie my body thanks me by being a little more forgiving if I indulge a bit for lunch. Plus, I don’t feel so guilty.

2. Takes less than 5 minutes to make

Switching to the green smoothie lifestyle was easy. We already had an inexpensive blender as a wedding gift, and it added zero time to our morning routine. It never takes more than five minutes to blend a green smoothie, and you can bring them with you if you commute to work! I suppose the only people negatively affected were our sleeping neighbors in our old apartment complex…

3. Fills you up much more than “juicing”

I’ve tried using juices as meal replacements several times, and it usually didn’t work out well. I’ve got nothing against the juicing movement, but I love green smoothies more because I drink the whole fruit—including all the fibrous parts that are filling and great for digestion. I drink a green smoothie almost every morning and always feel content up until lunchtime.

4. It’ll make your girl happy

Don’t ask me why, but ladies get pretty excited when their guys take steps toward taking care of their bodies. My wife, Erin, loves when I eat healthy, and she has never refused to eat any healthy meal that I’ve suggested. It’s been a great bonding experience and something we can both learn more about together. Sometimes loving someone else is best done by loving yourself, too.

5. Reduces high blood pressure

Green smoothies are a healthy alternative to food and drink options, but they can help lower the risk of some of the biggest health issues that men deal with—one of the biggest being high blood pressure. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is one the top ways to lower blood pressure, and we’ve heard countless stories from people in our community who have seen their numbers go way down after a period of drinking green smoothies.

6. They’re a great post-workout power snack

Do you ever feel like eating a giant steak after a work out? Probably not the best idea… Making green smoothies a post-workout habit will help you to stay fit and replenish your body with nutrients it needs, instead of giving your stomach what it craves. Leafy greens, like spinach and kale, are filled with protein, and you can even add a couple tablespoons of chia seeds or hemp protein powder if you’re looking for a bit more.

7. Helps you lose weight

For the normal guy, simply replacing one meal a day with a green smoothie can help lose a bit of weight. It’s always a positive thing when you give your body a healthy dose of fruit, veggies, and leafy greens as a meal instead of wings and rings (though I’m a BIG fan of B-dubs and their onion rings).

8. Boosts energy without the crash

I recently asked our green smoothie lovin’ tribe: “Men, why do you drink green smoothies?” The replies were great, and one really stood out to me: “Because they give me energy without the crash.” This is true! The fiber in green smoothies helps to slow the absorption of sugar, which gives your body a steady dose of energy without feeling withdrawals. Who knew?

9. Quenches your taste buds

The first time I ever drank a green smoothie, it didn’t even taste like it had handfuls of spinach in it. Whenever I introduce a person to green smoothies, they agree. So, as long as you blend a good combination of fruits (and sometimes vegetables) together, you’re probably gonna like what you’re drinking.

10. Affordable way to eat healthy

Before green smoothies, it was tough to all the produce we bought before it spoiled—spoiling food means wasted money. Well, with green smoothies I never waste produce. Not only are we eating… er, drinking… more of it, we can buy in bulk and freeze half of it (we also like buying a big bag of frozen fruit, usually organic mango, from Sam’s Club). When I buy leafy greens and other produce for green smoothies in bulk it costs me about $3 a day to make two green smoothies (enough for me and my wife). That’s $1.50 a day for loads of nutrients!

Another way to keep produce affordable is by purchasing what’s in season. Right now, it’s strawberry season here in Florida, and I recently bought a whole flat of strawberries for $10. My wife made five jars of strawberry jelly and had a big bowl left over to use in green smoothies for a week! Our plan is to go strawberry picking again, and freeze most of them to save for later use. Freezing produce lets us buy in bulk to keep costs low.

As guys, we tend to think that we need to go harder in the gym in order to make our bodies feel great—but that’s not always true. For me, the missing link with overall health has been eating fruits, vegetables, and other nutrient-rich foods on a consistent basis.

Green smoothies have introduced me to a lifestyle of healthy eating, and I feel better than I ever have before! If you’re a guy, then you need to sign up for the Simple 7 Green Smoothie Challenge. This is the easiest way to learn how to drink green smoothies, and kickstart your healthy eating journey… and maybe it’s the missing link for you, too.

unnamed-9_Resized

DAN’S POST-WORKOUT GREEN SMOOTHIE

This is a great recipe to use after a tough workout for two main reasons: protein and potassium. Using almond milk and butter adds an extra boost to the already protein-rich leafy greens, while the banana gives your body potassium helping your muscles to function well and your blood-pressure to stay regulated. // serves 2

ingredients

2 cups leafy greens (spinach or kale)
2 cups almond milk
1 banana
2 cups strawberries
2-4 tablespoons almond butter

directions

1. Blend spinach and almond milk until smooth.

2. Add remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth. Enjoy!

*Use frozen fruit to make smoothie cold.

Check out our other pre- and post-workout green smoothie recipes here.

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Vera says:

I have a green smoothie support group at work – kinda. I bring green smoothies for them too. The earliest supporter was a guy.

2. stan cox says:

I am nearly 84 years old and am often complimented on my youthful enthusiasm and energy.
    I started green smoothies last Christmas at the behest of my granddaughter. She lives the vegan lifestyle and found she could not push me that way so this was the next best thing. She said she wanted me around for a long time.Now both her grandma and I have a green smoothie every day. We love it and are much the better for her efforts.
    grandpa Stan

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Hi Grandpa Stan!
      Great to hear from you! It’s pretty encouraging to hear that you’re drinking green smoothies with your wife, and that your granddaughter was the one that introduced them to you.

Keep in touch!

3. Lisa Donnelly says:

Hello everyone. I am a green smoothie lover and have a few comments after reading all of the above. I use all of the super foods listed, but also a few more. I use goji berries, kelp, flax, spuralina, L-Glutimine, and Bee Pollen. I mix them all together in a large container and then add a scoop or two to my smoothie every day. Any thoughts on this?

Also, you mention above that you freeze your greens. I have been making smoothies for myself and my husband every sunday night for the entire week all at once and freezing them in single portions in mason jars. Every night, I take two out of the freezer, and they are thawed, but still cold in the morning. It saves me a lot of time. Do you see anything wrong with doing it this way?

Thanks for the input!
    Lisa Donnelly

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Love that you use even more superfoods, Lisa! Looks like a good list. Also, probably not a problem to freeze and let thaw—we just prefer to drink them fresh blended 🙂

4. Krista says:

Hi Dan! I am very new to green smoothies (I still haven’t had one, my blender comes tomorrow). I love this site and can’t wait for the 30 day challenge to come around. 🙂

5. James says:

Hey Daniel, 10 Great points! I have been a huge Simple Green Smoothie fan since mid-December. The 30 day challenge beginning January 1st went awesome! I looked forward to each smoothie. Some days I would have 2. I still rawk them out everyday! I have been spreading the SGS way to friends and co-workers. No one ever believes that they would taste as good as they do. Have a great day!

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Hey—nice to “meet” you, James! Spreading the green smoothie goodness to friends can be a little awkward at times, ha ha. Some of my friends think I’m weird for carrying around mason jars with green smoothies, but weirdness is sometimes a good thing—it’s what makes them ask about green smoothies!

You have a great day, too.

6. Clyde says:

Greetings to all,

I am new to green smoothies (2-months) and cannot believe the benefits I am receiving. Weight is down, grocery shopping is easy, skin is clearing, do not feel bloated after drinking my green smoothie, but feel full and satisfied.
    I am in my late 70’s and have been listening to proponents of of a vegetarian lifestyle, which I just can’t do.
    But being a cancer survivor for 6-years and understanding the benefits of the vegetarian lifestyle, I have been reading more about a plant based diet lifestyle.
    Green smoothies use the same ingredients the vegetarian is promoting, however in a tasty drink and easy to prepare, was I willing to change my lifestyle.
    Cancer is fed by poor eating habits (sugar), which can be changed by drinking green smoothies containing natures sweetener. Why not make a simple lifestyle change and possibly decrease your chance of getting cancer.
    It took me long time to learn an easy lesson about a better lifestyle.

Clyde

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Awesome to read this, Clyde! I’m sure you’ve got a lot of wisdom to share about living a healthy lifestyle, and am thankful to be on this journey with you.

7. Tawnee says:

Hi, Dan! Thanks for the great post! I am going to pass this on to my husband. He’s already a believer in the smoothie revolution (we’ve been drinking them daily for about 7 years now). However, he works in athletics and is having a difficult time getting the athletes to understand the importance of incorporating green smoothies into their regimen. We thought it would be a good idea to buy a high-powered blender for his office. Some of the players notice him drinking smoothies, but none have been bold enough to try it yet. As football players, they have so much machismo. A lot of them truly believe that drinking smoothies is a “girl thing.” But, I think I’ll pass this along to my husband so that he can share it with the athletes. I’m 100% positive that it would benefit them and seeing this advice written down would help to motivate them too. Again, great read! Thanks for the write up, Dan. 🙂

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Seven years? Wow! And I love the idea of having a blender in his office. If the guys are around green smoothies long enough they’ll eventually become curious enough to try them, I’m sure. I hear the “girl thing,” too, ha ha.

What kind of container does he put green smoothies in? What if he used a “protein shake” bottle? Maybe it could make green smoothies seem more “manly,” which would help to appeal to guys that have much machismo!

8. ashley says:

A very cisgender oriented article!

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Hey Ashley!
      Not sure if you meant that in a negative way, or not, but the article is really just about my life and how I’ve come to understand what healthy eating looks like. I wanted to share it with our SGS community because I’m sure there are lots of other guys who have similar stories.

Wasn’t, at all, trying to say that all guys live the same life that I have 🙂

9. Linda says:

Are these recipes for a single serving?

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Sorry, forgot to add the serving size to the recipe! Just added it to say, “Serves Two”

10. Great topic! I love it. This was the first blog post that I read form Simplegreensmoothies and now I’m fan of it! 🙂

11. Jennifer says:

I need to show this to my partner. He had a couple smoothies with me when I first started the 30-day challenge, but stopped as soon as I bought pineapple. He’s a lot like you use to be, not really having a full grasp on what eating healthy really is, but he is getting better. Heck, I’m still learning and probably will be for a long time to come. Now if I could just convince him to have breakfast smoothies with me every day… Then we could both feel great and be rawkstars too!

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Hi Jennifer!
      Keep asking him to do green smoothies for breakfast with you! If he’s anything like me, it takes about 10 “asks” for me to actually commit to something, ha ha. And you’re absolutely right… I’m not sure we’ll ever know how to eat perfectly, but we can always be learning, growing, and eating a little better!

12. Smoojie says:

Dan, thanks for this. Great article as always from this page.

I think what a lot of men don’t realise is gluten intolerances (I’m sure a lot of them have it). I personally discovered my gluten intolerance last year and since reverting to drinking green smoothies during the day, I’ve found

1) I have more energy
    2) My weight has stablised
    3) I feel cleaner within

Here is my favourite recipe:

2 cups spinach
    2 cups almond milk (I cold press my own)
    1 frozen banana
    2 cups frozen berries
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 cup walnuts

Have a great day and thank you for sharing.

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Great recipe idea, and walnuts are a nice addition! I think you’re right about gluten intolerance.

• Lisa Donnelly says:

Big thumbs up to this one. I have celiac’s and green smoothies are a huge bonus to help me get my nutrients and helping my body get back to normal if I get “glutened” by mistake. Green smoothies are amazing.

13. Melanie Bittinger says:

Very nice and informative article, Daniel! This is an admirable growing trend, and it’s so encouraging to see the younger generation wanting to be healthier the natural way. Thank you for sharing your journey of this quest and then finding that combining exercise with nutritional green smoothies really was your key. Your determination is honorable! Go Daniel!!

14. Dee says:

I’m a gal and I enjoyed this smoothie today. Freezing fruits and spinach is a great way to preserve them if you can’t enjoy them fresh fast enough. Then, you have ingredients to make great Simple Green Smoothies.

15. I think that it is absolutely amazing that you are encouraging guys to drink green smoothies too. I just started to drink them and I have to tell you that I feel so much better when I do drink them. Greens are so great at rebuilding the body and I am glad that blog owners like you are putting this knowledge out there.

1 2

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE