21-DAY AUTUMN CLEANSE
TOP AUTUMN RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

How to Make a Smoothie Without Milk

There are countless liquids that you can add to green smoothies—and most of them aren’t dairy! This article will show you how to make a smoothie without milk.

Every ingredient in your green smoothies should be placed with a purpose.

When making green smoothies the liquid-base is one that is often overlooked, but the reality is that the liquid that you use for the base of your smoothie is just as important as any other part.

The main reason for changing the liquid base is similar to the reason that we rotate our greens: When we use different liquid bases we give our bodies the opportunity to use many more available nutrients. Sticking with just one liquid base gives your body the same nutrients over and over, which can be good, but why waste the opportunity to receive a variety of nutrients that can work in harmony with the lifestyle that you live? In order to help you know which liquids are best for you we made a list of the most popular bases and highlighted how they affect your health.

How to make a smoothie without milk (or dairy):

water
Water

Many confuse fatigue with lack of hydration. When you are properly hydrated you have more energy, not to mention how it flushes out the nasty toxins in your body. Water is essential for your body, and its simply good for you. Use water in your smoothies when you are looking for an easy, cheap, and simple base for your smoothie.

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with water.

almondmilk
Almond Milk

Almond milk is a lactose-free, warm flavored liquid that will provide you with vitamin E, protein, and fiber. Since it is lactose free it is easily digestible, and its even low in fat and cholesterol free. If possible, find an unsweetened kind of almond milk to stay away from the high amounts of sugar. Its a great base for those fall months!

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with almond milk.

coconutwater

Coconut Water

If you are looking for an all-natural sports drink, then you’ve found it! Coconut water is filled with electrolytes and potassium, which are two nutrients your body craves when expending lots of energy. It’s low in calories, fat, and sugar meaning that this is the liquid-base you want when working out. Use it in the morning to kickstart your action-packed day.

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with coconut water.

coconutmilk
Coconut Milk

Coconut milk is squeezed from the meat of the coconut which produces a sweet and tasty liquid. Though it is high in protein, fiber, and other micronutrients, it is also high in calories and fat. For this reason we recommend using coconut milk as a liquid-base only for special indulgences–maybe for date night desserts. This milk does help to protect your heart, but it will cost you in other areas if used on a regular basis.

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with coconut milk.

juice
Fresh-Squeezed Juice

Many fresh squeezed juices offer beneficial antioxidants and helpful enzymes. They offer an array of vitamins and taste good, too. The thing to keep in mind about fruit juices is their high sugar content. When using fresh squeezed fruit as a liquid-base, be sure to use plenty of raw leafy greens and low glycemic fruits (berries, peaches, apples) to balance out the sugar content. You can also add water to your juice base— like 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice and 1 cup water.

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with orange juice.

ricemilk
Rice Milk

If you struggle to digest lactose in milk, or are just looking for something different, then try using rice milk as a liquid-base in your green smoothie. Though it is lacking in protein, it is fortified with calcium and low in cholesterol, which makes it a slightly healthier option than cow’s milk–and you can get the lacking protein through various superfoods and leafy greens. It is naturally sweetened, fructose free, and goes great with your daily smoothie.

greentea
Green Tea

Green tea is a fighter against four of the biggest health issues in the western world: cancer, heart disease, weight, and diabetes. The secret? It contains a high concentration of polyphenols, which are a specific type of antioxidant. These antioxidants are also known to rejuvenate skin cells and give you a clearer complexion. Sweet! Right? Green tea does contain caffeine, which makes it a great base for those who are trying to transition from a morning cup of coffee to a green smoothie (no headache this way).

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with green tea.

7-Days of Dairy-Free Smoothies:

Try drinking one green smoothie a day for a week, all without using dairy milk as a liquid base. The Simple 7 Challenge gives you seven recipes, a shopping list, and tips on how to blend your smoothie in under seven minutes each day!

Click here to start the 7-day smoothie challenge.

COMMENT BELOW: Which liquid base from the list above sounds the tastiest?

21-day cleanse

the CHALLENGE

DESSERT guide

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Learn more about a plant-powered diet

7-DAY cleanse

21-day cleanse

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered lifestyle!

7-DAY cleanse

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Amanda

April 3rd, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Hey, I have a food sensitivity to almond and some recipe call for an almond milk base which is the best subsitute to use ?

2. SGS Rawkstar

April 3rd, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Hi Amanda,

Any of the liquid bases is a great alternative, it’s all about finding what you need, what you like, and what goes well with your raw leafy greens, fruits/veggies, and superfoods! Changing it up is good for you, keeps things fresh, and simple!

3. Karlynn Gonzales

April 9th, 2015 at 3:25 pm

When using green tea as your base . what just steep a strong cup of green tea ??

4. SGS Rawkstar

April 10th, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Yep! I like to brew a few cups of green tea, and then cool them in the fridge, and store the tea in an airtight container to use in my smoothies for the week! Cheers 🙂

5. Emily

April 10th, 2015 at 5:33 am

hello, I was wonder what suggestions you have for me. I need to loose a little weight before prom (one week). I want to loose it in a healthy way. I want to do 2 smoothies (breakfast and lunch) fruit for a snack and regular dinner… what smoothies do you suggest? also currently i dont use any liquids or frozen fruit i use low fat Greek yogurt. is that okay is water, tea, or almond milk better?

6. SGS Rawkstar

April 10th, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Hi Emily,

If you want to burn fat, you want to include plant-based smoothie ingredients that have the following weight loss effects:

-Jump start your digestion
    -Burn excess fat
    -Reduce and expel bad cholesterol
    -Provide energy for your cardiovascular system
    -Detox and hydrate your body
    -Promote healthy bowel movement
    -Decrease your appetite for processed foods and sugars

The Kiwi Berry Punch is a low-calorie, nutrient-dense smoothie recipe that combine the best fruits and veggies for an optimal approach to healthy weight loss.

The best part about a green smoothie–you can use a smoothie as a low-calorie meal replacement because they are full of fiber which keeps your body feeling fuller longer.

7. bridget turner

April 12th, 2015 at 11:09 am

My husband and I are going to try the green smoothies as meal replacements this week for breakfast and lunch to try to loose a little weight. Can you all offer some suggestions as to healthy snacks to eat in between.

8. SGS Rawkstar

April 14th, 2015 at 4:32 am

Hi Bridget,

We love using green smoothies as meal replacements, especially when we add protein + healthy fats to make them a complete meal, and keep our tummy’s satisfied all day! It we do feel ourselves getting hungry in-between smoothies we love to snack on a hard-boiled egg or a handful of nuts.

Here are some of our tips on using smoothies as meal replacements:

9. Kristen

April 13th, 2015 at 10:44 am

Coconut milk can be great. Try for organic…it doesn’t cost much more. Also, the low-fat version can really save you a bit of guilt!

10. SGS Rawkstar

April 14th, 2015 at 4:33 am

Thanks Kristen!

11. Christina

April 15th, 2015 at 11:01 am

I just found your site today and I can’t stop reading! Love these ideas! I’m a regular breakfast smoothie drinker, and I can’t wait to try your recipes! I was never a big fan of water in my smoothies, but had always happily used coconut water. I recently switched to green tea and I am THRILLED with the results! The taste is faint, but delicious, and I’ve even been able to cut down on my coffee consumption thanks to the kick of caffeine! Highly recommend (caf or decaf) for anyone looking for something light that won’t just water down the flavor of the smoothie.

12. SGS Rawkstar

April 16th, 2015 at 4:49 am

Hi Christina,

We are so happy you found Simple Green Smoothies! We love blendin’ with green tea, it’s a great replacement to our morning coffee! Please let us know if you have any questions while you check out our site!

Cheers 🙂

13. trina

April 20th, 2015 at 8:09 am

Hi I have just joined and looking forward to trying some of your recipes and looking forward to a more healthy lifestyle. I have just bought an oat drink and was wondering if this could be used as a liquid base or if you have tried it?

14. SGS Rawkstar

April 20th, 2015 at 8:34 am

Hi Trina,

I’ve never used an oat drink as a liquid base, but it’s worth a try! Let us know what oat drink you’re using, and how it works for you!

Cheers 🙂

15. trina

April 26th, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Hi again. I used an oat drink called oatly. The have a vast range of these drinks and it is made in Sweden apparently. I used it in my smoothies but hadn’t tried anything else before so not sure of anything really lol.
    It doesn’t have a strong taste and I’m not sure if it was the drink that made me feel really hungry, really quick.

Anyway this wk I’m trying unsweetened almond milk. So we’ll see. ☺

16. SGS Rawkstar

April 27th, 2015 at 6:20 am

Hi Trina,

Thanks for keeping us updated! We love oats because they take a long time to digest, provide you with long-lasting energy, + help maintain a stable blood sugar. If you’re finding yourself hungry soon after enjoying your green smoothie, we suggest adding protein to help keep you full longer. Here are some of our favorite ways to add protein to our green smoothies!

17. Miles

April 22nd, 2015 at 2:19 pm

I just found the website and love many of the recipes. I have a quick question, in terms of coconut milk, do you use the ones in cans normally found in the Asian aisles or the coconut milk in the cold case. Thanks!

18. SGS Rawkstar

April 22nd, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Hi Miles,

We personally like to make our own coconut milk!

19. Cate

May 8th, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Hi! I have a swim meet tomorrow morning and I was wondering well because you shouldn’t have lactose, if I could use water instead of milk for the smoothie because im scared it will Taste different, will it? If so what can I put in it to make it taste the same again?

20. SGS Rawkstar

May 11th, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Hi Cate,

Water is a great liquid-base! An even better liquid base for working out is coconut water, it’s like an all-natural sports drink! Coconut water is filled with electrolytes and potassium, which are two nutrients your body craves when expending lots of energy. It’s low in calories, fat, and sugar meaning that this is the liquid-base you want when working out.

Your smoothie might not be as creamy when using water or coconut water in place of a non-dairy milk option, but it will still be delicious + refreshing!

Best of luck in your swim meet! 🙂

21. Susan

May 27th, 2015 at 5:20 pm

A delicate question: Will the green smoothies have a newbie visiting the potty frequently or cause diarrhea issues?

22. SGS Rawkstar

May 27th, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Hi Susan,

Our green smoothies are packed with nutritious fiber – which can sometimes shock your system if you’re new to the green smoothie lifestyle! For that reason, we suggest sticking to 16oz a day until your body becomes accustomed to the added fiber, and make sure to drink plenty of water!

23. Sandra

May 29th, 2015 at 1:51 pm

How do you make your green tea? Thanks!

24. SGS Rawkstar

May 29th, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Hi Sandra,

I like to brew green tea using 2-3 tsp of green tea leaves for every 8 oz, and allow the leaves to step for 2-5 mins, I then dilute over ice. Hope this helps! 🙂

25. Emma

June 2nd, 2015 at 8:43 am

Hello!
    I’ve just started making smoothies and I’m still experimenting with what I like and don’t like. I have used water as my liquid base in the smoothies I’ve tried but I didn’t feel like I was enjoying them as much as I could be. Is it okay for me to use fruit tea, such as Strawberry and Mango? Not sure if these qualify as green teas but I’m not a lover of green tea but want some extra flavour. I also tend to pack my smoothies with oats to keep me full and not sure if this combination would work.

I would love to know what you think about this!

Thanks! 🙂

26. SGS Rawkstar

June 2nd, 2015 at 10:59 am

Hi Emma,

Of course! Adding fruit tea sounds like a great idea for adding additional flavor to your smoothies!

Cheers 🙂

27. Lucy

June 8th, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Hi! Can i use soy milk as my liquid substitute? Also, where is the best place to buy coconut water from?

28. SGS Rawkstar

June 9th, 2015 at 7:05 am

Hi Lucy,

Small amounts of organic, non-GMO soy are fine (like tamari and tempeh) but we recommend staying away from highly-processed unfermented soy products which can interfere with nutrient absorption and leach nutrients from your body. Soy milk, soy burgers, and soy ice cream are all in this category. Two great alternative to soy milk are unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk. We love them both!

We love blendin’ with coconut water too. You should be able to find coconut water at any health or grocery store!

29. Manisha

June 28th, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Hi,

I subscribed for 30 days challenge (1st July). I got the recipes in my email and most of them asks for coconut milk. I don’t like milky smoothies. Can I replace coconut milk with coconut water? I am going to have my smoothie as my breakfast.

30. SGS Rawkstar

June 29th, 2015 at 7:03 am

Hi Manisha,

Great question! We love switching up our liquid base, so feel free to substitute coconut milk with another liquid base you enjoy more. Planning on using our 30-Day Challenge to replace breakfast, check out our tips on using green smoothies as a meal replacement here…

31. Mo East

July 1st, 2015 at 3:11 am

I am finding it hard to get unsweetened coconut milk. Can I use regular coconut milk diluted with water? Loving the smoothies, thank you so much x

32. SGS Rawkstar

July 2nd, 2015 at 3:55 am

Hi Mo,

Thanks for reaching out! Diluting sweetened coconut milk is a great way to still add creaminess, while lowering the added sugar. If you don’t want the added sugar of sweetened coconut milk, feel free to swap it out for another liquid base option!

Cheers 🙂

1 6 7 8 9 10 13

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25