Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

How to Make a Smoothie Without Milk

There are countless liquids that you can add to green smoothies—and most of them aren’t dairy! This article will show you how to make a smoothie without milk.

Every ingredient in your green smoothies should be placed with a purpose.

When making green smoothies the liquid-base is one that is often overlooked, but the reality is that the liquid that you use for the base of your smoothie is just as important as any other part.

The main reason for changing the liquid base is similar to the reason that we rotate our greens: When we use different liquid bases we give our bodies the opportunity to use many more available nutrients. Sticking with just one liquid base gives your body the same nutrients over and over, which can be good, but why waste the opportunity to receive a variety of nutrients that can work in harmony with the lifestyle that you live? In order to help you know which liquids are best for you we made a list of the most popular bases and highlighted how they affect your health.

How to make a smoothie without milk (or dairy):

water
Water

Many confuse fatigue with lack of hydration. When you are properly hydrated you have more energy, not to mention how it flushes out the nasty toxins in your body. Water is essential for your body, and its simply good for you. Use water in your smoothies when you are looking for an easy, cheap, and simple base for your smoothie.

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with water.

almondmilk
Almond Milk

Almond milk is a lactose-free, warm flavored liquid that will provide you with vitamin E, protein, and fiber. Since it is lactose free it is easily digestible, and its even low in fat and cholesterol free. If possible, find an unsweetened kind of almond milk to stay away from the high amounts of sugar. Its a great base for those fall months!

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with almond milk.

coconutwater

Coconut Water

If you are looking for an all-natural sports drink, then you’ve found it! Coconut water is filled with electrolytes and potassium, which are two nutrients your body craves when expending lots of energy. It’s low in calories, fat, and sugar meaning that this is the liquid-base you want when working out. Use it in the morning to kickstart your action-packed day.

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with coconut water.

coconutmilk
Coconut Milk

Coconut milk is squeezed from the meat of the coconut which produces a sweet and tasty liquid. Though it is high in protein, fiber, and other micronutrients, it is also high in calories and fat. For this reason we recommend using coconut milk as a liquid-base only for special indulgences–maybe for date night desserts. This milk does help to protect your heart, but it will cost you in other areas if used on a regular basis.

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with coconut milk.

juice
Fresh-Squeezed Juice

Many fresh squeezed juices offer beneficial antioxidants and helpful enzymes. They offer an array of vitamins and taste good, too. The thing to keep in mind about fruit juices is their high sugar content. When using fresh squeezed fruit as a liquid-base, be sure to use plenty of raw leafy greens and low glycemic fruits (berries, peaches, apples) to balance out the sugar content. You can also add water to your juice base— like 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice and 1 cup water.

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with orange juice.

ricemilk
Rice Milk

If you struggle to digest lactose in milk, or are just looking for something different, then try using rice milk as a liquid-base in your green smoothie. Though it is lacking in protein, it is fortified with calcium and low in cholesterol, which makes it a slightly healthier option than cow’s milk–and you can get the lacking protein through various superfoods and leafy greens. It is naturally sweetened, fructose free, and goes great with your daily smoothie.

greentea
Green Tea

Green tea is a fighter against four of the biggest health issues in the western world: cancer, heart disease, weight, and diabetes. The secret? It contains a high concentration of polyphenols, which are a specific type of antioxidant. These antioxidants are also known to rejuvenate skin cells and give you a clearer complexion. Sweet! Right? Green tea does contain caffeine, which makes it a great base for those who are trying to transition from a morning cup of coffee to a green smoothie (no headache this way).

CLICK HERE for a smoothie recipe with green tea.

7-Days of Dairy-Free Smoothies:

Try drinking one green smoothie a day for a week, all without using dairy milk as a liquid base. The Simple 7 Challenge gives you seven recipes, a shopping list, and tips on how to blend your smoothie in under seven minutes each day!

Click here to start the 7-day smoothie challenge.

COMMENT BELOW: Which liquid base from the list above sounds the tastiest?

Comment+

1. Miranda

April 20th, 2016 at 12:04 pm

I have been using vanilla soy milk in my smoothies lately. Is this good or bad?

2. SGS Rawkstar

April 21st, 2016 at 7:08 am

Hi Miranda,

It’s all about finding what works for you + your body. Personally, we avoid large quantities of highly-processed unfermented soy products like soy milk, as it can interfere with nutrient absorption and leach nutrients from your body. Two great alternatives are unsweetened almond + coconut milk. We love them both!

3. Miranda

April 28th, 2016 at 11:21 am

Thank you! I’m going to start using coconut water and/or green tea this week instead of soy milk.

4. SGS Rawkstar

April 28th, 2016 at 11:30 am

Rawesome! Both are great options!

5. Sandra whyatt

May 17th, 2016 at 9:20 am

I have been using organic Apple juice, is there any nutritional value for using this instead of water?

6. SGS Rawkstar

May 17th, 2016 at 11:42 am

Hi Sandra,

We love reaching for juices when blending our favorite green smoothies! Not only do they add great flavor, but additional nutrients! The thing to keep in mind about fruit juices is their high sugar content. When using fruit juice as a liquid-base, be sure to use plenty of raw leafy greens and low glycemic fruits (berries, peaches, apples) to balance out the sugar content.

Hope this helps!

7. Patty

May 17th, 2016 at 2:10 pm

I just learned of your site last weekend while listening to Pat Flynn’s SPI podcast with Jadah. I am in love with your passion, mission and everything about Simple Green Smoothies. My question is that I have been drinking a green smoothie most everyday for a couple of years, and the recipe is basically the “Beginners Luck”. Well almost, the one I make I use kale, but can substitute spinach if I want and I put celery and avocado in mine. The other ingredient which I thought was essential to smoothies is the protein powder. I’ve looked at several of your recipes and is doesn’t look like any of them have a protein powder, whether it be soy or whey or otherwise. Do I need a protein powder or does that just add useless calories and what about the protein?
    Thanks again! I love SGS so far and I’ve only just begun!

8. SGS Rawkstar

May 17th, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Hi Patty,

YAY! We’re so excited to hear you found us in this busy digital world! Adding protein is all about knowing your body, and knowing how you want to use your green smoothie.

When using your green smoothie as a meal replacement we definitely suggest adding protein + healthy fats to ensure you’re fueling your body with a complete meal. Check out our favorite meal replacement booster combos here…

Finding yourself extra active or in need of a protein boost? We love reaching for plant-based options. Learn more about our favorites here…

Hope this helps answer your question!

9. ochiba

June 3rd, 2016 at 5:45 am

I’ve been using milk in my kale and spinach/banana smoothies for years. I almost never drink juice unless I make it myself, so I’ve never considered it as a practical substitute.

I desperately wanted a smoothie today but didn’t want to add the milk calories as I’m on a calorie count for this month. Thank goodness I found your site!

That green tea base has got to be the most amazing smoothie base ever! I didn’t use cold green tea, but just brewed a fresh serving and drank it warm (another omg… amazing moment).

Thank you very much for your tips. I will be trying other types of tea as liquid bases for my smoothies (like hojicha, jasmine, and scented green and black teas)

Raw coconut water is a bit pricey, and I only treat myself to it occasionally, but I will also try that one of these days as well.

Again, thank you for this post and I look forward to exploring more of your website–bookmarking it now : )

10. SGS Rawkstar

June 3rd, 2016 at 7:07 am

Hi Ochiba,

YAY! We’re so excited you found our site in this busy internet world + love hearing how you’ve introduced tea into your green smoothies!

Cheers to health, happiness + leafy greens!

11. Paula Foster

June 4th, 2016 at 6:48 am

Do I have to strain the juice

12. SGS Rawkstar

June 6th, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Hi Paula!

If your blender still leaves your smoothie a little chunky, you can absolutely strain it if you wish :). It’s all about making it work for you!

13. Julie

June 23rd, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Hi, I just found yalls site from today’s email of 100daysofrealfood.com I can say I’m very impressed, as well interested in your recipes. I just have a couple of question? If I don’t have fresh spinach for in the morning since one I want on can I use frozen? If so how do you calculate that? What brands of Coconut water do y’all like the best? Do you prefer the canned coconut milk vs. the refrigerator kind? I can’t wait to explore your site!

14. SGS Rawkstar

June 24th, 2016 at 7:47 am

Hi Julie!

Thanks so much for reaching out! We’re so happy to have you as part of our community :).

You can definitely use frozen spinach in your smoothie (1.5 cups frozen greens = 2 cups fresh), however, we’ve found that the frozen spinach you buy at the grocery store doesn’t have the best flavor in green smoothies. We personally like to buy big containers of greens and freeze them ourselves!

As for coconut water, my personal favorite is Zico (it’s what they carry at my local Trader Joe’s!). But we like any brand where the only ingredient is coconut water (no added sugar). For coconut milk, most of our community members use refrigerated coconut milk for our recipes (the canned version is much more rich!), but we like to make our own!

Hope that helps! Cheers + Happy Blendin’!

15. E-Z

June 27th, 2016 at 7:40 am

I just made my first green smoothie. I LOVE IT.
    I added water to it. How do you add tea to the green smoothie?
    I have a lot of different tea: lavender, green tea, mint, sleepy time, and detox tea.
    Thanks

16. SGS Rawkstar

June 27th, 2016 at 11:41 am

Hi!

Thanks so much for reaching out! We’re so happy to have you as part of our community!

Feel free to swap out the 2 cups water in your smoothie for 2 cups brewed and cooled tea :). Herbal teas are always great, and green tea is wonderful if you need a little boost of energy!

17. E-Z

June 27th, 2016 at 8:31 am

Also do you think the green smoothie in place of breakfast, lunch, dinner.

18. SGS Rawkstar

June 27th, 2016 at 11:43 am

If you’d like, feel free to replace up to two meals with a green smoothie (although it’s absolutely not required!). When using your smoothie as a meal, we recommend adding some healthy fat + protein to help your body thrive + keep you satiated. Here are some of our favorite combos!

19. amber

July 7th, 2016 at 8:13 am

I have found your site very helpful during my challenge. I have made several of the smoothies with no problems but when I made the coco-Cherry smoothie it did not settle well with me. I believe it was the coconut milk because that was the first time I had used it in my smoothies. i think I will exclude this and try another liquid base when coconut milk is in the receipe

20. SGS Rawkstar

July 7th, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Hi Amber!

Thanks for reaching out! We’re all about making green smoothies work for you. We definitely encourage our community members to play mini-chef with their blenders to find what tastes/sits best with them :).

Thanks so much for blendin’ with us! Cheers!

21. Jason Howard

July 9th, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Hi!!

So I just recently discovered the power of the smoothie and bought a Vitamix as smoothies cost so much at the juiceries :(. I’m trying to cut back on the sugar in one that I particularly like, it calls for Kale, Spinach, a banana, 1 C frozen mango, a bit of lemon juice and enough apple cider to balance it out. The apple cider adds close to 50g of sugar alone…. Any thought on what I could replace it with for this recipe? I don’t think almond milk or coconut water will be very good here.

Thank you so much! Awesome new favorite site!!

22. SGS Rawkstar

July 11th, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Hi Jason!

Thanks for reaching out! We always say you can’t go wrong with good, old-fashioned filtered water :). If you want a little extra sweetness, you could always replace 1/2 of the normal amount of apple cider with filtered water. It may take a little experimenting to find what tastes best to you personally :).

23. spee

August 17th, 2016 at 7:19 am

Def want to add kiefer milk to this!!
    Great probiotic

24. SGS Rawkstar

August 17th, 2016 at 8:14 am

Hi Spee,

We love reaching for dairy free options. Do you love Kiefer Milk? Then go for it! We’re all about making green smoothies work for you + your body!

25. Shannon

September 4th, 2016 at 11:19 am

I make water kefir and have a ton of it right now. I want to add it to my smoothies (and get back on the smoothie bandwagon because I have seemed to fall off). I was going to use it in place of water or juice, but I’m having a hard time locating recipes with those bases. Most of the recipes I see have almond milk, coconut milk or coconut water. I like to stick with a tried and true recipe because I’ve made some pretty nasty smoothies in the past.

26. SGS Rawkstar

September 6th, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Hi Shannon,

Our recipes are here to inspire you, so please don’t feel like you need to follow them to a T. Feel free to swap in any liquid base you enjoy!

Cheers 🙂

27. Esther

September 4th, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Thanks for the valuable info you are providing to us.
    just a question,is okay if i make my green smoothies with same fruits every day? say watermelon, apple, pineapple & mango plus baby spinach). What can i add to make it more filling?

28. SGS Rawkstar

September 6th, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Hi Esther,

Thanks for blendin’ with us! While you definitely can blend the same fruits each day, we do suggest changing it up a little bit to fuel your body with a wide variety of nutrients. Also, it’s important to rotate your greens to help prevent oxalate build-up in your body. Learn more here…

Looking to make your smoothie more filling? When using your smoothie as a meal replacement we suggest adding protein + healthy fats to ensure you’re fueling your body with a complete meal. Learn more about our favorite meal replacement booster combos here…

29. Amy

October 5th, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Is it possible to use other types of tea, e.g. ginger, lemon or peppermint? 🙂

30. SGS Rawkstar

October 6th, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Hi Amy,

Of course!! We love switching up our liquid base options!

31. Jane

October 22nd, 2016 at 11:57 pm

Thanks for the valuable info you are providing to us.
    I’ve been using yogurt for the smoothie liquid base.
    Is it okay? 🙂

32. SGS Rawkstar

October 24th, 2016 at 7:22 am

Hi Jane,

You definitely can! Especially adding greek yogurt to your green smoothie adds a great boost of protein to any green smoothie recipe. Personally, we reach for coconut milk yogurt, over dairy, as dairy can be pretty tough on your digestion. It’s also the #1 undiagnosed food allergy, so for that reason we leave it out of our diet for ourselves and our family. But it’s all about finding what’s best for you + your body!

33. Marielle

November 12th, 2016 at 8:10 pm

HI. I love coconut water as liquid-base for my smoothies, but am using in can coconut water purchased from grocery stores, is this OK?

34. SGS Rawkstar

November 14th, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Hi Marielle,

Don’t worry too much about the container. When reaching for a liquid base we suggest reaching for organic, sugar-free options, free of any yucky additives or preservatives. So take a quick peek at the ingredients before purchasing.

35. Gary

November 15th, 2016 at 7:51 am

What about using organic soy milk?

36. SGS Rawkstar

November 16th, 2016 at 11:41 am

Hi Gary,

Thanks for reaching out. Small amounts of organic, non-GMO soy are fine (like tamari and tempeh) but we recommend staying away from highly-processed unfermented soy products which can interfere with nutrient absorption and leach nutrients from your body. Soy milk, soy burgers, and soy ice cream are all in this category. Two great alternative to soy milk are unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk.

We love them both!

37. Jan

November 29th, 2016 at 11:17 pm

38. BRENJG

November 22nd, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Can you use camomile tea in your green smoothie?

39. SGS Rawkstar

December 2nd, 2016 at 7:44 am

Hi Brenjg,

Definitely! We love blending with herbal teas!

40. Tim

November 28th, 2016 at 11:11 am

I put 12 ounces of craft beer and a slice of sausage pizza into my blender. For vegetables, I added some mushrooms and green pepper. It resulted in exclamations all around!!

41. SGS Rawkstar

December 2nd, 2016 at 7:45 am

Hi Tim,

You get two thumbs up for the mushrooms and green peppers!! 🙂 Want a laugh? You may be interested in the smoothie we blended for April Fool’s this year. Check it out here…

42. Gail

January 12th, 2017 at 4:43 pm

And it’s okay to use almond milk with greens in powder form? Someone told me to only use water???

1 7 8 9 10
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM