TAKE THE SMOOTHIE QUIZ

START NOW

Let us help you decide what to blend today

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

Are you ready to RAWK your smoothie world? With my simple smoothie prep guide, you’ll be saving time and money with just a little bit of work.

The next healthy habit to embrace on your road to health and happiness is making your daily smoothies ahead of time. Prepping your smoothies shaves off precious extra minutes in your morning routine, plus it puts the kibosh on any other excuses that stand in the way of you sipping on some healthy green goodness.

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”  ― Benjamin Franklin

Can I get an amen on Franklin’s words of wisdom for us all?

Make ahead smoothies really save me precious time in the morning. I love not having to think about cutting up fruit, measuring anything or accidentally running out of smoothie ingredients. (because we know that happens to all of us!)

Smoothie ingredients used to prep ahead

3 Smoothie Prep Benefits

1. Enjoyable time in the kitchen: I actually enjoy spending a few minutes on Sundays prepping smoothies for the week (or month!). I crank up Alexa and turn my kitchen into a cooking show… yet there’s no meal to put on the table or pots and pans to clean!
  2. Sets the foundation for healthier habits. According to a recent study, “Spending less than one hour a day preparing food at home is associated with eating more fast food and spending more money eating out.”
  3. It’s the easiest way to prep ahead for the week. Now, I know it can be hard to meal plan each week, but smoothie prep is such a simple task…AND it creates big results. I hope you give it a shot with my step by step tutorial…

Let’s get started!

How to prep ahead smoothies for the week with bags or jars
Smoothie ingredients all laid out to prep for the week
Make Ahead Smoothies in freezer with bags stacked nicely

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep Guide

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Prep Time: 30
  • Total Time: 30
  • Yield: 7 smoothies
  • Category: smoothies
  • Method: blending
  • Cuisine: healthy

Make smoothies in half the time with our make ahead smoothie prep guide. You can use this process to prep for a day, a week or even a month– depending on how much space you have in your freezer!

• measuring cups
  • quart bags or canning jars (regular or wide-mouth)
  • permanent marker
  • your fav fruit and leafy greens
  • our Daily Blends smoothie recipe app!

1. Decide which recipes you’ll make for the week and have the recipe on hand. Feel free to use our Smoothie library for inspiration.
  2. Slice or cut fruit into chunks.  You can also cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily.

3. Label bag and jar lids with recipe name and date. Be specific. You might also want to include how much of which liquid gets blended with each smoothie pack (to have when you’re ready to blend).
  4. Measure out the ingredients and pack into jars or bags.
  5. Remove as much air as possible from bags and jars when sealing closed. Pack fruit and leafy greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids.
  6. Place in freezer. Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly.
  7. When ready to use, remove from freezer. Add liquid base to container or bag (which helps defrost the fruit slightly). You can also thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.
  8. Pour into blender and blend until smooth.

• Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.
  • If hoar frost forms on the fruit and greens, it is still perfectly safe to consume. It can be rinsed off with lukewarm water.
  • Store smoothie packs away from foods with strong odors. Glass jars offer the best protection against odors.

Keywords: smoothie prep, make ahead smoothie,

smoothie recipe cards, cut fruit and measuring cups for make ahead smoothies

In addition to prepping your smoothies, you can also freeze them blended. Yep! You can actually blend your smoothies and freeze them until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but the smoothies will still be fine to consume.

21-day cleanse: $49

SMOOTHIE Cubes: $5

DESSERTS: $15

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our helpful guides and cleanses.

More plant-powered goodness!

7-DAY cleanse: $35

Comment+

1. Mary

May 16th, 2014 at 9:45 am

I love your photography, so beautiful.

2. Kristina

May 16th, 2014 at 11:22 am

awesome idea, I have been lax on my green smoothies cuz it’s hard to get my act together in the morning AND I usually have a baby on my hip or a toddler pulling at my arm or both!!!! I am going to make a bunch up after the kids are in bed!

3. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 19th, 2014 at 9:20 am

Go for it, Kristina!

4. Linda

May 16th, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I have a question regarding stevia. I just bought a plant and was wondering if anyone has used it to sweeten your smoothies. I try not to use too much fruit do to the high sugars so I thought maybe that would work.

5. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 19th, 2014 at 9:21 am

Hi Linda,
    We don’t prefer adding sweeteners—even stevia… But do what works best for you! Our green smoothie habits are simply recommendations 🙂

6. Tish

May 19th, 2014 at 5:04 am

I love the green smoothies and found doing the prepping ahead of time so helpful. I had surgery recently and made up a months worth of baggies with ingredients so my husband would only have to push the button on the VitaMix. Worked like a dream! Love you guys and the 30 day challange….I’ve done 2 so far!

7. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 19th, 2014 at 9:21 am

Keep it up, Tish!

8. Julia

May 19th, 2014 at 6:26 am

I got a question. In the 5 elements theory, frozen products have not much energy left? I am know a bit worried about loosing all the good energy again, when freezing the greens and fruits.

9. Nakia

May 19th, 2014 at 6:50 am

Thanks for this tip, I freeze my fruit but didn’t know I could freeze my greens!

10. Glates

May 19th, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Hi, I love green smoothies but I have been using spinach,kale, half of avocado, frozen pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, whole banana, fresh strawberries, some sliced almonds, chia seeds, whole kiwi and 1 cup of orange juice in one smoothie. Is this too much in one? Is this a lot of calories? I ask because I am not seeing weight loss.. Thanks…

11. Fantastic49

May 20th, 2014 at 9:00 am

there is a great deal of fat and a lot of sugar/calories for one smoothie. i use many of the same ingredients and see weight loss. if you nix the banana altogether, use 1/4 avocado instead of 1/2, remove the almonds and replace the juice with water, that should help. i would also be mindful not use too many chia seeds.

12. Glates

May 20th, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I replied earlier but just in case. Thanks so much for the advice. I appreciate it and will try your suggestions…

13. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 20th, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Hi Glates!
    It does seem like a lot for one smoothie. We recommend staying to one leafy green, one liquid, and 2-3 fruits/veggies. We also try to stay to 16 ounces of green smoothie for one serving. Hope this helps!

14. Glates

May 20th, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Thanks… I was wondering if it was too much and may be full of too many calories to lose weight….

15. Glates

May 19th, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I love the idea of putting all together in a ziploc bag. Your photo appears so clear seeing separation of ingredients. Are you freezing before placing in the bags? I assume having the greens on top allows for blending first with liquid, am I correct?

16. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 20th, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Hi Glates!
    You can freeze some of the items on a tray for 15 minutes before adding to the jar or bag if you’d like. It helps the items not freeze together!

17. Darlene

May 20th, 2014 at 6:16 am

I have been doing for months now never seen a recipe with carrots do you ever use them

18. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 20th, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Check this out, Darlene!

19. Darlene

May 20th, 2014 at 6:17 am

Never seen you guys use carrots. Do you

20. Glates

May 20th, 2014 at 7:40 pm

FANTASTIC49, Thanks for the advice. I will try your suggestion. I appreciate all advice…

21. Rachael

May 20th, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for sharing the tips using glass bottles. I will try. Indeed, I use zip bags and just stack them up in freezer.

22. Jocelyn

June 19th, 2014 at 9:38 am

Using reusable jars is much better for the environment than disposable plastic bags (unless, of course, you’re rinsing and reusing your bags!).

23. Perla

May 21st, 2014 at 10:55 am

Terrific! This was a big help for me to prep. Wow it was much easier to just get them out of the freezer and go. Thank you very much for the suggestions.
    have a wonderful day!

Peace. Love and Leafy Greens

24. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 21st, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Glad it was helpful, Perla!

25. Crystal

May 23rd, 2014 at 9:05 am

Great idea with preparing in advance. I have cut up some of my fruit in the past but they turn brown after I cut them up. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

26. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 23rd, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Hi Crystal!
    Try cutting up a bit smaller, and also try flash freezing them on a cookie sheet first. That may help!

27. Demetra

May 24th, 2014 at 7:24 pm

For bananas put lemon juice on before freezing.

28. Jesse

May 27th, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Make sure that your jars are freezer safe.

29. Cyndi

May 29th, 2014 at 10:23 am

How many smoothies does a prepped quart make?

30. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 29th, 2014 at 11:08 am

Usually two, Cyndi!

31. Jim

May 29th, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Can you use vacuum seal bags?

32. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 30th, 2014 at 7:11 am

Sure can!

33. Crystal

May 30th, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I am allergic to coconut and avocado … What are recommended substitute

34. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 30th, 2014 at 2:21 pm

It really depends on the smoothie, Crystal. Did you have a specific smoothie in mind?

35. Celestial Health Coaching

May 31st, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Love advance prep for healthy meals during the week! I like to add some chia seeds, protein powder or some other yummies too. I have even blended the smoothie and then frozen them already blended in freezer zip lock bags. I take them out of the freezer and let them thaw to put in a cup and drink. Delicious and nutritious!

36. Pat

June 8th, 2014 at 4:47 am

I have been making smoothies ahead for years! Love that a regular mouth mason jar fits right on a blender. No need to transfer to different containers. Just pull the jar out of the freezer, add in my almond milk (or other liquid), screw on blender blades and voila!!

37. SGS Rawkstar Dan

June 9th, 2014 at 7:56 am

Isn’t that crazy, Pat?! Great tip.

1 2 3 4 5 17
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM