Make Ahead Smoothie Prep | Simple Green Smoothies

Rawk out here too...

JEn's Garden TOUR
Self Care GUIDE
WHY freeze Greens

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

Hey there! I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two, ultra runner and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos. I took my family's health into my own hands while broke and without health insurance...and have helped 1 million+ other families along the way.

PLANT-BASED MEAL PLANS
NEW SMOOTHIE RECIPES
COMMUNITY CLEANSES
WELLNESS MAGAZINE
ADVENTURE RETREATS

SleepY TIME TEA

year

MEAL PLANNER

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep Guide

Are you ready to RAWK your green smoothie world a little more? The next step to adopt on your road to leafy green health and happiness is making your daily smoothies ahead of time. Prepping your smoothies shaves off precious extra minutes in your morning routine, plus it puts the kibosh on any other excuses that stand in the way of you sipping on some healthy green goodness.

How To Make Smoothie Freezer Packs Ahead of Time

Make ahead smoothie prep really does help me save time in the morning. I love not having to think about cutting up fruit or accidentally running out of smoothie ingredients. I love pulling out my recipe cards and getting to work prepping smoothies for the week (or month!) and the best part is that it only takes a few minutes to do.

Let’s get started!

A month of smoothies in an hour!

Step 1: Have your ingredients and supplies ready.

Here’s what you’ll need:
-ourΒ Daily Blends, green smoothie recipe app!Β
-measuring cups
-quart bags or canning jars (regular or wide-mouth)
-marker
-fruit and leafy greens

Make sure the leafy greens are washed, spun or patted dry, and ready to go.

green smoothie prep: what you need to get started

Step 2: Slice or cut fruit into chunks.

smoothie prep: cut fruit in small pieces

Step 3: Label bag and jar lids with name and date.

Be specific. You might also want to include how much of which liquid gets blended with each smoothie pack. (I keep my recipe cards handy for this purpose also.)

smoothie prep: label bags or jars

Step 4: Measure out the ingredients and pack into jars or bags.

Remove as much air as possible from bags when sealing closed. PackΒ fruit and greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids.

smoothie prep: measure out ingredients

smoothie prep: layer fruit in jars or bags

Step 5: Place in freezer.

Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly.
smoothie prep: place jars and bags in freezer

More Green Smoothie Prep tips:

• Cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily.

• Before blending, thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.

• Store greens and fruit separately, if desired. Pack washed and dried greens tightly into freezer bags or jars. Due to the nature of the freezing process, you will need to measure out slightly less frozen greens than fresh.

• Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.

• If hoar frost forms on the fruit and greens, it is still perfectly safe to consume. It can be rinsed off with lukewarm water.

• Store smoothie packs away from foods with strong odors. Glass jars offer the best protection against odors.

• Smoothies can be blended and then frozen until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but the smoothies will still be fine to consume.
make ahead green smoothie packs for freezing

HEADS UP! WE WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THIS PAGE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. IF YOU PURCHASE A PRODUCT THROUGH AN AFFILIATE LINK, YOUR COST WILL BE THE SAME, BUT SIMPLE GREEN SMOOTHIES, LLC WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION. YOUR SUPPORT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AND HELPS US SPREAD THE GREEN SMOOTHIE LOVE. RAWK ON!

Comment+

1. Grace

September 25th, 2014 at 11:12 am

If I freeze the already made smoothies instead of just the ingredients, how long do the smoothies stay good in the freezer?

2. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

September 26th, 2014 at 7:35 am

Here is a great link to know how long everything will last in the freezer.

3. Kate

September 25th, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Recipe cards??? I could use those. I have my recipes saved all over the place. Email, Facebook, Pinterest, printouts, you name it! Help!

4. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

September 26th, 2014 at 7:34 am

Hey Kate.

Here is the link where you can purchase the October Recipe cards. πŸ™‚ https://simplegreensmoothies.com/october-recipe-cards

Thanks for your support.

5. DebB

September 25th, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Hey! I LOVE that you can freeze everything! Great time saving idea. I thought the greens would go mushy and gross.

I use a magic bullet and have 6 individual cups, and just recently started making 4-6 cups all at once, putting in everything except the liquid and frozen items, and storing in the fridge, this really helped save time too. And I just discovered slicing bananas that are at my “perfect” ripeness, freezing on a baking sheet and then putting in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Again, I thought they’d turn brown or mushy, and they don’t at all! Smoothies rock!

6. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

September 26th, 2014 at 7:33 am

Wonderful, DebB!

7. C

September 26th, 2014 at 4:36 am

My sister got my butt up off of the couch and became my walking buddy this past week! She is in CA and I and am in NH, so we call each other as we walk. Now she has encouraged me to do the 30 day challenge together and I’m looking forward to it! I have a couple of question. 1. about using green tea in the smoothies…can you use matcha green tea powder and water in place of the tea bags? It certainly would make our smoothies greener! 2. Can you suggest specific smoothies that would be good for weight loss? Thanks

8. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

September 26th, 2014 at 7:33 am

Hey C.

Thanks for the comment! Great job on moving your body towards health and fueling it with yummy green smoothie. Here is a green smoothie you might enjoy. https://simplegreensmoothies.com/Recipes/kiwi-berry-punch

9. Mini

September 28th, 2014 at 8:38 am

I see you featured the yellow variety of banana. Does the type of banana matter?

10. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 3rd, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Hey we like a sorts of bananas, go for what you enjoy most. πŸ™‚

11. Candice L.

October 2nd, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Is this how-to in PDF form anywhere to be added to the Kindle app?

12. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 3rd, 2014 at 8:53 am

Hey Candice. Great question. At this time we do not. If you have an Apple product you can press the square button with the arrow, and add to you home screen. πŸ™‚

13. Candice L.

October 3rd, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Sorry, I don’t, but Firefox on Android 4.4+ (Kit Kat) has a “Save as PDF” option under ‘page options’. I used that to import into Kindle, if you don’t mind. πŸ™‚

14. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 3rd, 2014 at 7:01 pm

πŸ™‚ Awesome feature. πŸ™‚

15. Candice L.

October 3rd, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Thank you. πŸ™‚

16. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 3rd, 2014 at 7:00 pm

You are so welcome! πŸ™‚

17. Denise

November 7th, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Hi I appreciate your advice but have a question on freezing vegetables. The Fresh Preserving site says “Vegetables require blanching, a critical step to cleanse off surface dirt, brighten the color, help retain vitamins and reduce the action of enzymes which can destroy the fresh flavor.” Do you blach yours?

18. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 7th, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Hey Denise.

Great question. Before freezing, we wash. πŸ™‚ Here is a link to all things washing your produce. πŸ™‚ https://simplegreensmoothies.com/healthy-eating/washing-produce

19. Sophie

November 26th, 2014 at 5:25 am

Hello,
    Is there any reason why I shouldnt blend a weeks worth of smoothies and then separate and freeze the individual portions? I’m not a morning person so it would be easier to grab a portion on my way out the door and wait for it to defrost…..
    Thanks!

20. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 26th, 2014 at 8:14 am

Hey Sophie.

You can totally do that. It will take a while to completely deforest, if you freeze a solid blended smoothie. We just prefer to blend that morning, there is just something about a freshly blended smoothie to us.

Cheer + Happy Blendin’!

21. Misty

December 3rd, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Okay, so I recently discovered my blender blade end will fit my Mason Jar….game changer!!! So i can I freeze green tea, cucumber, apple, watercress, kale, celery and pineapple together in the jar? Or do any these need to be separated? Its so convenient to screw on the blade and blend!

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 4th, 2014 at 10:35 am

Hey Misty.

Awesome. I personally haven’t done this, but here is a link all about using your mason jar with your blender: http://www.thekitchn.com/the-mason-jar-blender-trick-do-you-know-about-this-195182

23. Sarah

December 5th, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Aloha! πŸ™‚ I would like to ask if it is okay to mix oats to any smoothie? Thanks!

24. Christine

December 6th, 2014 at 11:01 am

Do the greens still blend okay mixed with everything? Or do you still recommend blending the greens and liquid together first then the fruit?

25. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 8th, 2014 at 9:26 am

Hey Christine.

Great question. When everything is frozen, just add the liquid and blend. Cheers. πŸ™‚

26. Lori

January 3rd, 2015 at 7:10 pm

My blender does NOT like everything frozen so I just let the bag rest on the counter or soak in water. Then I blend greens with liquids first. I don’t have a fancy blender so this works well for me.

27. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

January 5th, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Great tip, Lori! πŸ™‚

28. cindy

December 11th, 2014 at 10:28 am

I prep in regular mouth pint mason jars 1 serving (1/2 recipe)
    When ready to use take off top, add liquid, screw on Oster blender blade to mason jar. Blend and drink from jar. Less clean up.

29. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 12th, 2014 at 7:12 am

RAWESOME! Love that!

30. Micasha

December 14th, 2014 at 5:29 am

Hi
    I’ve been using frozen fruits most of the time. Am I getting the same amount of nutrients as fresh fruits?

31. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 15th, 2014 at 7:12 am

Hey Micasha.

Fresh is best, but frozen is a close second. We love added frozen for the chill factor.

32. adam

December 19th, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I place my fruits in plastic containers in the freezer or zip lock bags.
    Mason Jars take up too much space in the freezer. I store my greens in a big ziploc bag and grab as needed.

33. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 19th, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Great tip for saving freezer space.

34. Jenny

December 28th, 2014 at 6:55 am

Hi, I’m new to this smoothie business!
    Freezing sounds like an ideal solution to me for saving time, but how long is it safe to leave the fruit and veg in the freezer for before they are bad to consume? Thanks! πŸ™‚

35. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 29th, 2014 at 9:59 am

Hi Jenny.

Thanks for the comment. What type of container will you be using? I know most containers suggest 3-6 months.

36. Elba

December 30th, 2014 at 4:51 am

what time should make green smoothies?

37. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 30th, 2014 at 5:06 am

Hi Elba.

Anytime is a good time to make green smoothies. Morning, Lunch, Dinner or a snack. Cheers!

38. Mata

February 2nd, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Hi there! I have just joined this group of “healthy smoothies” drinkers and from what I have read from comments made by those who appreciates what you are doing, I am totally glad to be part of this group. I am 67yrs old and wants to be healthy as my diet in the past leaves nothing to be desired, so I am determined to become healthier than I’ve ever been in my life and while on this journey lose kilos ( alot I might add) as well. I will keep you posted along the way. My day of reckoning starts tomorrow!!! yaaay!!!!

39. Amy

January 20th, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I make the whole recipe which is normally two servings each morning then drink one at breakfast and one for lunch or a snack later on,

40. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 21st, 2015 at 6:36 am

Great idea! πŸ™‚

41. Adrienne

December 30th, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Maybe I shouldn’t be worrying about it, but what is the average calorie count on a green smoothie?

42. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 30th, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Hi Adrienne.

We personally don’t count calories, so we don’t include them in our recipes at this time. You’ll find that when you consume more nourishing whole fruits and veggies, you will not only feel full longer, but you’ll also have lessened cravings for high-calorie, nutritionally empty foods. So in the end it balances out. But we know many people would like to have calorie info. Three great resources for tracking calories are Self Nutrition Data and the phone apps My Fitness Pal and Lose It.

43. Amy

January 20th, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I have been using my fitness pal to calculate the calories and for 1 serving of each smoothie (most if not all are 2 servings per recipe) have averages from 150-220 calories. I try not to obsess over the calories though because like SGS Rawkstar Jessie said they’re healthy calories!

44. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 21st, 2015 at 6:33 am

Thanks, Amy. πŸ™‚ Cheers to you both!

45. Madison

January 2nd, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Hey!
    I’m a Junior in high school and have a busy schedule. Being a teenager, I often find myself at odds when it comes to finding time to eat healthy. I almost never find time to eat breakfast in the morning and then the school lunch is absolutely atrocious so I miss two main meals o the day. My schedule is pretty right and right now I’m cramming for my upcoming EOC’s, ACT, and SAT. I came upon this website by chance, and have been wanting to try things out, but haven’t had the chance to try any smoothies yet! I am a die-hard sweets fan and am obsessed with sugar. I’m also trying to break that habit. Reading this article has made me so happy that I can prepare ahead of time and just toss into the blender!
    I do have one question, though.
    Do I need to still blend the greens first, then add the fruits if they are both frozen? I don’t have a very high-powered blender so I was just curious!
    Thanks!

46. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 2nd, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Hey Madison!

Thanks so much for joining us! You can throw your leafy green in with your fruit. πŸ™‚ Let it thaw for a few minutes and then it should pop right out. Make sure you are using freeze baggies or freeze safe wide mouth mason jars. πŸ™‚

47. Madison

January 2nd, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Thanks! I’m using the quart-sized Glad Freezer Bags!
    I live with my grandmother and she cans veggies and fruits so we have more than enough Mason jars on hand!

48. Ileana

January 3rd, 2015 at 3:37 am

Yesterday I prepped out all the week #1 recipes and put them in the freezer; they were so beautiful and I took photos I was so proud of my mason jars…

… and then today I read in one of your responses that you don’t recommend freezing citrus. Yikes! Do you have any recommendations for reconstituting frozen oranges and grapefruits while blending? Would it help to substitute some of the water in the week #1 recipes with juice?

49. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

January 5th, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Hi Ileana! Congrats on all the prepping. It helps out so much in my house. You should totally post your pics on our Facebook wall!!

As far as the citrus, don’t worry about it too much. You might just need to add in a bit more liquid or fruit to get it the right consistency/taste.

Keep up the great work, rawkstar! πŸ™‚

50. Pam

January 4th, 2015 at 10:39 am

Do the bananas freeze well? I’m afraid they will have a less than desirable taste. THANK YOU!

51. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

January 5th, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Yes! They freeze perfectly! I usually buy 2 bunches of bananas, wait for them to ripen and those that we don’t eat, just toss in a bag in the freezer and use them up in all my green smoothies. πŸ™‚

1 3 4 5 6 7 17