TAKE THE SMOOTHIE QUIZ

START NOW

Let us help you decide what to blend today

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

Are you ready to RAWK your smoothie world? With my simple smoothie prep guide, you’ll be saving time and money with just a little bit of work.

The next healthy habit to embrace on your road to health and happiness is making your daily smoothies ahead of time. Prepping your smoothies shaves off precious extra minutes in your morning routine, plus it puts the kibosh on any other excuses that stand in the way of you sipping on some healthy green goodness.

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”  ― Benjamin Franklin

Can I get an amen on Franklin’s words of wisdom for us all?

Make ahead smoothies really save me precious time in the morning. I love not having to think about cutting up fruit, measuring anything or accidentally running out of smoothie ingredients. (because we know that happens to all of us!)

Smoothie ingredients used to prep ahead

3 Smoothie Prep Benefits

1. Enjoyable time in the kitchen: I actually enjoy spending a few minutes on Sundays prepping smoothies for the week (or month!). I crank up Alexa and turn my kitchen into a cooking show… yet there’s no meal to put on the table or pots and pans to clean!
  2. Sets the foundation for healthier habits. According to a recent study, “Spending less than one hour a day preparing food at home is associated with eating more fast food and spending more money eating out.”
  3. It’s the easiest way to prep ahead for the week. Now, I know it can be hard to meal plan each week, but smoothie prep is such a simple task…AND it creates big results. I hope you give it a shot with my step by step tutorial…

Let’s get started!

How to prep ahead smoothies for the week with bags or jars
Smoothie ingredients all laid out to prep for the week
Make Ahead Smoothies in freezer with bags stacked nicely

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep Guide

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Prep Time: 30
  • Total Time: 30
  • Yield: 7 smoothies
  • Category: smoothies
  • Method: blending
  • Cuisine: healthy

Make smoothies in half the time with our make ahead smoothie prep guide. You can use this process to prep for a day, a week or even a month– depending on how much space you have in your freezer!

• measuring cups
  • quart bags or canning jars (regular or wide-mouth)
  • permanent marker
  • your fav fruit and leafy greens
  • our Daily Blends smoothie recipe app!

1. Decide which recipes you’ll make for the week and have the recipe on hand. Feel free to use our Smoothie library for inspiration.
  2. Slice or cut fruit into chunks.  You can also cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily.

3. Label bag and jar lids with recipe name and date. Be specific. You might also want to include how much of which liquid gets blended with each smoothie pack (to have when you’re ready to blend).
  4. Measure out the ingredients and pack into jars or bags.
  5. Remove as much air as possible from bags and jars when sealing closed. Pack fruit and leafy greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids.
  6. Place in freezer. Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly.
  7. When ready to use, remove from freezer. Add liquid base to container or bag (which helps defrost the fruit slightly). You can also thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.
  8. Pour into blender and blend until smooth.

• Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.
  • If hoar frost forms on the fruit and greens, it is still perfectly safe to consume. It can be rinsed off with lukewarm water.
  • Store smoothie packs away from foods with strong odors. Glass jars offer the best protection against odors.

Keywords: smoothie prep, make ahead smoothie,

smoothie recipe cards, cut fruit and measuring cups for make ahead smoothies

In addition to prepping your smoothies, you can also freeze them blended. Yep! You can actually blend your smoothies and freeze them until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but the smoothies will still be fine to consume.

21-day cleanse: $49

SMOOTHIE Cubes: $5

DESSERTS: $15

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our helpful guides and cleanses.

More plant-powered goodness!

7-DAY cleanse: $35

Comment+

1. MissChievousRN

January 4th, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Just bought my husband a Tribest Mason Jar Personal Blender PB-350 for Christmas
    Now I can prep and freezer in mason jars and he can pick one, blend, and go!! And it’s a one jar clean up too!

2. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

January 5th, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Woohoo MissChievousRN!! That’s awesome and what a great Christmas present! 🙂

3. Sharon

January 8th, 2015 at 4:31 am

Can anyone tell me roughly how many calories a smoothie is, generally made with water and a banana? Thanks

4. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 8th, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Hey Sharon. Have you tried MyFitnessPal app? That’s the one I have used for years and enjoy it.

5. Diana Shirley

January 8th, 2015 at 5:36 am

I blend my greens with just enough water to liquify and then pour into ice cube trays and freeze, I add 2-3 cubes of greens to my smoothies.

6. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

January 12th, 2015 at 11:45 am

Such a great tip, Diana! I totally use this one. 🙂

7. Madeline S.

January 8th, 2015 at 1:56 pm

I too am curious on the order in the mason jars. I know that for salad mason jars it’s recommended that the dressing is placed first. I noticed in the pictures that the bananas are in the middle and the greens are on top, is there a reason?

8. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 8th, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Hey Madeline.

Yes. From trial and error. If the leafy greens are on bottom they get stuck. If you put the fruit on the bottom, it helps push the greens out. 🙂

9. Tia

January 9th, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Hi!! I just found this website and I’m obsessed!! I do have a question though..I had the idea of possibly blending all my greens and fruits together and putting the smoothie in freezer bags for meal prepping. That way I don’t even have to worry about blending them in the morning. In my ideal world I could do this weekly?? Is this a possible idea? Thanks! 🙂

10. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

January 12th, 2015 at 11:47 am

This is such a great idea, Tia. And Yes! It’s totally possible. And we do this all the time. 🙂

11. Barbara

January 18th, 2015 at 7:06 am

The bags with spinach are so big I wanted to freeze it, but I read that freezing raw spinach is not ok (Thats on dutch websites) what do you say about it? In your article you say to freeze it all together, ahead, and use in within 2-4 weeks.

12. Natti

January 23rd, 2015 at 1:38 am

I usually prep in advance using zip lock bags but sometimes if I’m running late I can’t blend then up. Is ok to blend my smoothies maybe 3 days at a time n then freeze them? That would be ideal to just grab n go.

13. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

January 26th, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Yes, Natti! It’s totally fine. Grab and go is the best, isn’t it?? 🙂

14. kit taplin

January 26th, 2015 at 11:47 pm

When I try to blend 2 cups of frozen spinach mix (from Costco) with 2 cups of soy milk, the spinach freezes my mixture and turns it into a slushie that doesn’t blend well (it sticks to the sides of the blender).

I have a ninja 1500w blender, and use the pitcher attachment.

What are my other options?

Also thank you so much, the first thing I saw online about green smoothies was your 60/40 ratio advice, and it truly is the key.

15. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 27th, 2015 at 6:15 am

Hey Kit.

Try using more liquid, or fresh leafy greens. It might be too cold, too fast and having a hard time blending.

16. Amelia

February 1st, 2015 at 9:58 pm

When using mason jars is just twisting the lid on good or does it have to actually be sealed ? I’m asking for after the blending I’ve been just twisting but sometimes it’s bitter tasting so I’ve been blending lemon in the smoothies sometimes it helps and other times not. I actually don’t know how to seal them. Thanks so much and appreciate these challenges and has helped my liver greatly.

17. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 2nd, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Hey Amelia.

Yes, sealing the jar with a little lemon is a great idea. Keeping it fresh. 🙂

18. Jackie

February 5th, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Seems to me that the fresher the ingredients the more nutritious the smoothie. I think that freezing destroys some of the nutrients. Fresh is best.

19. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 10th, 2015 at 9:45 am

🙂 We enjoy both, Fresh + Frozen. 🙂 Fresh is best, but frozen is a close second. 🙂

20. Sheryl

February 15th, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Are all mason/ball jars okay to use for freezing or are there special ones to buy? I have tons of jars left over from canning- can I use those?

21. wlmorin

February 15th, 2015 at 8:29 pm

I haven’t been able to locate any quart jars that are labeled as freezer safe. Plenty of pint size mason jars labeled as freezer safe though. What size jars are you using to prep your smoothies in the freezer?

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 16th, 2015 at 7:51 am

Hey Sheryl.

Thanks for the comment. Do they say freezer safe in the glass? Only use the freezer safe mason jar, you don’t want a broken mess in your freezer. 🙂

23. Jennifer

February 16th, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Do you need to add lemon to the cut up fruit to prevent it from turning brown? And for those that make the actual smoothie ahead of time, it seems there are 2 options for storage. Freezer safe mason jars and plastic bags. How exactly do you store the liquid in the plastic storage bags?
    Thanks! Excited to start this prep!

24. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 17th, 2015 at 9:30 am

Hi Jennifer.

Thanks for the comment. I don’t squeeze lemon in mine, but feel free if you would enjoy that. Don’t freeze the liquid, add the liquid fresh the day of blending. 🙂

25. Christine

February 22nd, 2015 at 10:14 am

I froze mine like this and when I blended it with almond milk it came out like ice cream. It really didn’t blend smoothly. What did I do wrong?

26. Deana

February 20th, 2015 at 10:30 pm

I’ve done this with salads, but it never occurred to me to do this for smoothies – brilliant! Mornings will be so much faster now. Thank you!!!!!

27. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 2nd, 2015 at 11:01 am

YAY! 🙂 Cheers! Happy blending!

28. Colleen

February 24th, 2015 at 1:03 am

Stripping kale off of the stem, washing, spinning, placing in freezer bags; same with spinach, washing, spinning and freezing. Makes it easy to take out and break off for smoothies. I add 2 cups almond milk, 2 cups water, banana, green apple (unpeeled), 2 c kale, spinach, cinnamon, avocado, 6 chunks of pineapple, 2 to 4 tbsp flax seed (opt)…. Yum….

29. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 2nd, 2015 at 11:01 am

30. Leena

March 9th, 2015 at 6:49 am

Hi! This may sound like a stupid question… Do I need to strip the kale off of the stem? Haven’t done that.

31. Niki Chennell

March 5th, 2015 at 11:38 am

I’m glad I read this. I’ve been making smoothies for my husband and myself everyday and the prep and clean up is such a mess. I’m glad I can now prep in one day instead of making the mess each time. Especially since my son and daughter now want smoothies (ages 6 and 3)
    I do have a question a little off topic. Do you recommend drinking a smoothie before a workout or after? I usually wake up get the kids ready for school and drink a smoothie while I’m driving. However I want to start working out before they wake up. Sorry for the essay. Any suggestions?

32. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 6th, 2015 at 9:43 am

Hey Niki,

Thanks for the comment. 🙂 Have you tried out pre & post work out smoothies? https://simplegreensmoothies.com/green-smoothie-recipes/pre-workout-green-smoothie

33. cathy

March 5th, 2015 at 2:25 pm

I am new to smoothies too and I love them. I am in my 70’s trying to drop a few pounds along with eating healthy. I purchase the large bag of spinach and wash the entire bag, dry it and place all of it in the freezer. I put 1 1/2 cups of Almond milk in the blender add two good handfuls of spinach, 1 Tbsp of peanut butter, and whatever fruit I have. Really good. I cut up all kinds of fruit and freeze in a zip lock bag. This makes 2 smoothies that are really good. I don’t always use a whole banana because of the calories, but I do add plenty of other fruit. This is really a journey.

34. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 6th, 2015 at 9:44 am

Awesome! So glad to have you blending with us, Cathy! 🙂

35. helen bland

March 6th, 2015 at 2:04 pm

I would like to know what size mason jars do I use.

36. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 9th, 2015 at 2:54 pm

We enjoy mason jars 12-32 oz, freezer safe versions. 🙂

37. Vanessa Ramos

March 7th, 2015 at 4:54 am

i am exclusively breastfeeding my baby but wants to shed off excess weight. whats the best smoothie recipe for a newbie like me?

38. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 9th, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Hey! Thanks for joining us. 🙂 Every mom and baby’s nursing experience is different. We would suggest starting slow, 8oz as a snack to get you and your baby use to the fiber. Any recipe would be great to start with. 🙂

39. Briget

March 8th, 2015 at 11:37 am

Hello there,

I’m allergic to berries, oranges and nuts. I’m finding it hard to make a variety of the recipes. The ones that call for these items just doesn’t taste the same. Any additional recipes you can add without these is appreciated.

40. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 9th, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Hey Briget,

Thanks for the comment. Our recipes are here to inspire you — you don’t have to follow them to a T. Yet we do think they are mighty tasty! Feel free to use other green smoothie recipes and even make some up yourself. The key to making green smoothies your lifestyle is making it easy and part of your daily routine. So we recommend using fruits and veggies that are easy for you to find and are affordable. https://simplegreensmoothies.com/recipes

41. Tinkerbexx

March 13th, 2015 at 4:44 am

Does freezing affect the nutritional qualities? I read once that the earlier you freeze fruit/veg the better because it starts losing goodness the second it’s picked? In which case freezing could actually be better 🙂

42. SGS Rawkstar

March 23rd, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Hi Tinkerbexx,

Just how growers freeze fruit and vegetables to keep them at their peak of ripeness, freezing helps keep the nutritional benefits of the smoothies.

1 4 5 6 7 8 17
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM