TAKE THE SMOOTHIE QUIZ

START NOW

Let us help you decide what to blend today

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

Are you ready to RAWK your smoothie world? With my simple smoothie prep guide, you’ll be saving time and money with just a little bit of work.

The next healthy habit to embrace on your road to health and happiness is making your daily smoothies ahead of time. Prepping your smoothies shaves off precious extra minutes in your morning routine, plus it puts the kibosh on any other excuses that stand in the way of you sipping on some healthy green goodness.

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”  ― Benjamin Franklin

Can I get an amen on Franklin’s words of wisdom for us all?

Make ahead smoothies really save me precious time in the morning. I love not having to think about cutting up fruit, measuring anything or accidentally running out of smoothie ingredients. (because we know that happens to all of us!)

Smoothie ingredients used to prep ahead

3 Smoothie Prep Benefits

1. Enjoyable time in the kitchen: I actually enjoy spending a few minutes on Sundays prepping smoothies for the week (or month!). I crank up Alexa and turn my kitchen into a cooking show… yet there’s no meal to put on the table or pots and pans to clean!
  2. Sets the foundation for healthier habits. According to a recent study, “Spending less than one hour a day preparing food at home is associated with eating more fast food and spending more money eating out.”
  3. It’s the easiest way to prep ahead for the week. Now, I know it can be hard to meal plan each week, but smoothie prep is such a simple task…AND it creates big results. I hope you give it a shot with my step by step tutorial…

Let’s get started!

How to prep ahead smoothies for the week with bags or jars
Smoothie ingredients all laid out to prep for the week
Make Ahead Smoothies in freezer with bags stacked nicely

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep Guide

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Prep Time: 30
  • Total Time: 30
  • Yield: 7 smoothies
  • Category: smoothies
  • Method: blending
  • Cuisine: healthy

Make smoothies in half the time with our make ahead smoothie prep guide. You can use this process to prep for a day, a week or even a month– depending on how much space you have in your freezer!

• measuring cups
  • quart bags or canning jars (regular or wide-mouth)
  • permanent marker
  • your fav fruit and leafy greens
  • our Daily Blends smoothie recipe app!

1. Decide which recipes you’ll make for the week and have the recipe on hand. Feel free to use our Smoothie library for inspiration.
  2. Slice or cut fruit into chunks.  You can also cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily.

3. Label bag and jar lids with recipe name and date. Be specific. You might also want to include how much of which liquid gets blended with each smoothie pack (to have when you’re ready to blend).
  4. Measure out the ingredients and pack into jars or bags.
  5. Remove as much air as possible from bags and jars when sealing closed. Pack fruit and leafy greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids.
  6. Place in freezer. Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly.
  7. When ready to use, remove from freezer. Add liquid base to container or bag (which helps defrost the fruit slightly). You can also thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.
  8. Pour into blender and blend until smooth.

• Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.
  • If hoar frost forms on the fruit and greens, it is still perfectly safe to consume. It can be rinsed off with lukewarm water.
  • Store smoothie packs away from foods with strong odors. Glass jars offer the best protection against odors.

Keywords: smoothie prep, make ahead smoothie,

smoothie recipe cards, cut fruit and measuring cups for make ahead smoothies

In addition to prepping your smoothies, you can also freeze them blended. Yep! You can actually blend your smoothies and freeze them until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but the smoothies will still be fine to consume.

21-day cleanse: $49

SMOOTHIE Cubes: $5

DESSERTS: $15

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our helpful guides and cleanses.

More plant-powered goodness!

7-DAY cleanse: $35

Comment+

1. Eleonora

March 16th, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Hi.;-) which is the best way to prep spinach to freeze? Thanks

2. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 17th, 2015 at 5:07 am

Hey Eleonora,

Thanks for reaching out. We love to make sure our greens are washed, then we toss them in with all of our other fruits, right into our storage container for freezing. 🙂

3. Deb

March 20th, 2015 at 10:13 am

Hi. What are your thoughts on using a food saver (the vacuum sealer kind) to freeze smoothie ingredients?

4. SGS Rawkstar

March 23rd, 2015 at 9:01 am

Hi Deb,

While I haven’t used a food saver before, I think it would be a great way to help freeze your smoothie ingredients! Please let us know how it works for you! Cheers 🙂

5. Michael

March 20th, 2015 at 3:38 pm

This is an amazing idea. I can’t wait to get this done for next week. I started making baggies of my greens and freezing them. I just grab a bag of my mixed greens from the freezer (spinach, beet tops and kale) and this has stopped any wasted greens ever again. I only have to buy greens twice a month now.

6. SGS Rawkstar

March 23rd, 2015 at 9:03 am

Hi Michael,

We’re so happy to hear how freezing your greens has helped your green smoothies and prevent waste!

7. Elizabeth

March 23rd, 2015 at 11:08 am

I’ve heard that preparing them too much in advance of consuming them lowers the nutrient content. Is this not the case if you’re freezing everything? Thanks!

8. SGS Rawkstar

March 24th, 2015 at 6:01 am

Hi Elizabeth,

Freezing the smoothie ingredients will help preserve the fruit, veggies, + leafy greens until you’re ready to blend, as well as, keep them at their peak nutrition level! 🙂

9. Lauren

March 24th, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Is freezing spinach okay to do? Doing that seems weird.

10. SGS Rawkstar

March 24th, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Hi Lauren,

Freezing leafy greens is a great way to keep them from going bad! If you’re just freezing leafy greens and not prepping a smoothie, we suggest you rinse them, pat them dry, and place them in an air tight bag in the freezer. This will keep your leafy greens fresh for months, and your wallet happy!

11. laliya

March 26th, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Hiya, Thank you for the tip! Cant wait to get started!

12. SGS Rawkstar

March 26th, 2015 at 7:22 pm

We’re so happy to have you blendin’ with us!

13. tiana

March 26th, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Can I buy frozen fruit or does it have to be fresh? Does frozen fruit have more sugars and bad stuff in them?

14. SGS Rawkstar

March 26th, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Hi Tiana,

Of course you can add frozen fruit! Personally, we like to use at least one frozen fruit to keep our smoothies cold. If you like a chilled green smoothie too, but are using purely fresh ingredients, you could always add 6-8 ice cubes in your blender.

15. Lana

March 26th, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I did not know the glass mason jars could be frozen. So glad to find that out. And that the greens could be too and last that long. I’ve thrown out sooo much spoiled produce. Thanks.

16. SGS Rawkstar

March 26th, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Hi Lana,

We hope that prepping and freezing will help you prevent any spoiled produce + be easier on the wallet. Just make sure your mason jars are freezer safe!

17. Gail

March 26th, 2015 at 6:29 pm

You can also blend the spinach with water to a smooth consistency and place in muffin tins (sprayed to keep from sticking) and freeze and then place the little pucks in a baggie. I put one in the blender and let it sit a little bit to thaw then add water and blend and then add the fruit. I use frozen fruit that I let thaw in the fridge overnight so my smoothie isn’t as thick.

18. SGS Rawkstar

March 26th, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Hi Gail,

Thank you so much for the great tip!

19. Melissa

March 26th, 2015 at 9:57 pm

I started freezing everything this week and it’s been less than desirable. I was told to let my bag sit in the fridge over night to blast in the morning. Just hasn’t been as good as blasting fresh but I’d love to prep better. Any suggestions? Something I might be doing wrong? I measure everything out and then put it in a ziploc bag, let out as much air as possible then freeze. Thanks for the help if you can. Can’t wait for the start of the challenge.

20. SGS Rawkstar

March 27th, 2015 at 4:49 am

Hi Melissa,

You only need to thaw in the fridge overnight if you’re pre-blending your smoothies. Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly. Before blending, thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water, just to allow the greens and fruits to come out of the jar/bag easier.

Please let us know if this helps your results! Cheers!

21. Melissa

March 28th, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Thank you! I’m going to try blending the smoothies and freezing them in advance. I only prep five at a time so hopefully it’ll work! Thanks for the advice and can’t wait for the challenge to start!

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 29th, 2015 at 10:28 am

Happy to help. 🙂

23. Lindsay

March 27th, 2015 at 6:53 am

I just love the freaking kale out of you guys!!!! I have unsubscribed from SO many sites because they never stay intouch like they say they will. I have never personaly left a comment or emailed you guys, maybe its all the fruits making me that annoying happy morning person haha, but reading everyone’s comments and feedback and your guys response is so awesome!! So just thanks for all the help and motivation you give me.

24. SGS Rawkstar

March 27th, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Lindsay,

KALE YEAH! Thank you so much for your sweet note, we are so happy to have you blendin’ with us! And we’re very excited that all of the good fruits + greens you’re getting made you happy enough to message us this morning! Keep the messages up, we love hearing from you! Cheers 🙂

25. Barb

March 27th, 2015 at 11:56 am

I did this for the first time. I did not add any liquid. Just checking if I am reading directions correctly. I used mason jars.

26. SGS Rawkstar

March 27th, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Barb,

Sounds perfect to me! Let us know how it works for you! Cheers!

27. Brenda

March 27th, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Can you use frozen spinach instead of fresh when making these up ahead of time???

28. SGS Rawkstar

March 28th, 2015 at 8:09 am

Hi Brenda,

We always believe fresh is best, and have heard that using frozen spinach from the grocery aisle doesn’t always result in the best tasting smoothie. Here is our favorite way to freeze leafy greens to help prevent waste and help out wallets!

You just need to rinse them, pat them dry, and place them in an air tight bag in the freezer. This will keep your leafy greens fresh for months!

29. robyn

March 29th, 2015 at 6:38 pm

I buy fresh kale, spinach etc and freeze. I put in blender frozen. I only let my fruit sit out for a little while and thaw. Works and tastes great!
    New to smoothies, ready snd prepped for April challenge

30. Jay

March 28th, 2015 at 8:04 am

I was excited to read all these tips as it was a hassle trying to prep everyday! I decided to challenge myself to ‘green it up’ for 60 days, so I started this challenge when I first found this ahhmazing site; have been blending since March 2 so I am used to having my greens twice a day since then. My skin reflects the difference!! Thank you Jen and Jadah for creating this site, and to all the others for your comments! Makes it a lot easier knowing there are REAL people out there on the mission with you

31. SGS Rawkstar

March 28th, 2015 at 8:17 am

Hi Jay,

We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! We hope you’ll include our 30-day challenge that starts on April 1 into your personal 60-day challenge. We have so many delicious recipes to share!!

Keep it up Rawkstar!! 🙂

32. Ashley

March 28th, 2015 at 4:44 pm

how many ounces should the canning jars be

33. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 29th, 2015 at 10:27 am

Hey Ashley,

These jars are the freezer safe 20oz. 🙂

34. Cyndi

March 28th, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Hi, I have a question about using regular mouth quart jars. Can I just screw that straight onto my blender to make the smoothies? I’ve seen it done for other drinks. Just curious if you’ve tried that and had success with it.

35. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 29th, 2015 at 10:33 am

Hey Cyndi,

Thanks for the question. Some blenders have that ability, but others don’t . Which model do you have?

36. Cyndi

March 29th, 2015 at 2:23 pm

I have a Hamilton Beach. The regular mouth jars have the same thread spacing as the blender’s jar, so you can just screw the blender collar (with blade assembly) onto the canning jar instead of the blender jar. I’ve seen it for things like margaritas. Just curious if you’d tried it with the smoothies…

37. laliya

March 29th, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Hiya! Shopping is done for me but I have a question. Is the challenge about drink in the smoothies that whole 30 days challenge? What do you suggest we should et for lunch and Dinner. Thanks

38. SGS Rawkstar

March 30th, 2015 at 7:09 am

Hi Laliya,

This is not a fast or a restrictive diet, so you can eat regular meals during this challenge. We are making healthy lifestyle changes that will last a lifetime! Our goal for your is to drink at least one 2-cup serving green smoothie a day in addition to your regular diet. If you would like, you can replace 1 or 2 meals with green smoothies. If you drink green smoothies as meal replacements, make sure to add a protein boost (plant-based protein powder, nut milk, nut butter), or snack on some nuts or a hard-boiled egg 30-60 minutes after you drink your green smoothie.

Just by drinking green smoothies daily without even changing your regular diet, you are moving in the right direction towards healthy eating. We are not meal plan experts, but we suggest you eat real food that’s free of processed sugar and avoid ingredients that you can’t pronounce. My personal meal plan during the green smoothie diet will be paleo-inspired with lots of veggies and some seafood.

39. april

March 30th, 2015 at 6:20 am

I will be starting the green smoothie challenge and I’m very excited about it. I went out and bought all the ingredients needed yesterday and will prep tonight/tomorrow. i will let you all know how things go once i start.

40. SGS Rawkstar

March 30th, 2015 at 7:06 am

Hi April,

We are so excited to have you blendin’ with us, and can’t wait to share some amazing recipes throughout the April challenge! Let us know if you have any questions along the way.

Cheers 🙂

41. Tracey

March 30th, 2015 at 7:19 am

I am SO excited to start this challenge! I’ve been making these smoothies for about a week now. I’m replacing one meal with them. Im already feeling better and less bloated. This is the motivation that I need. Thanks!!

42. SGS Rawkstar

March 30th, 2015 at 7:48 am

Tracey,

That’s great to hear! Thank you so much for sharing! Cheers 🙂

43. Shaniqua

March 30th, 2015 at 10:50 am

Hey guys. Just finished reading everyone’s comments. Thanks to all, they were very helpful. I’m a nurse, I travel, and have 2 jobs so finding out I can freeze my ingredients in advance was Awesome! I am so excited, I can’t wait to start. Only question is can I add flaxseed or Chia seeds to my smoothies?

44. SGS Rawkstar

March 30th, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Hi Shaniqua,

We love flaxseed and chia seeds, they’re a great addition to any smoothie!

1 5 6 7 8 9 17
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM