7-DAY RESET IS HERE
TOP WINTER RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Best Green Smoothies For Pregnancy

Are you pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant soon? Are you wondering about blending up some healthy green smoothies for pregnancy? We’ve gotcha covered with the best ingredients plus two awesome recipes. Read below!

Green Smoothies for Pregnancy | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com

“I’m pregnant!”

That has to be one of the most exciting moments for a woman. Knowing that your body is now creating a precious little human is enough to make your heart explode, but also knowing its health falls on your shoulders can make your stomach drop. We know all about it – Jen has a son, Jackson and a daughter, Clare. Life changes when you are growing a baby inside of you.

So, what can you do throughout your pregnancy to make sure your baby (and you) are as healthy as can be these next 40 weeks?

Drink green smoothies.

It’s as simple as that. When you are pregnant it is important that you are giving your body a wide variety of nutrients—proteins, folic acids, calcium, omega 3s, magnesium, tons of vitamins, and more! Green smoothies have an abundance of these nutrients that are helpful for your growing baby and you.

It’s recommend that you eat 4-6 small meals a day while pregnant (instead of the traditional 3 meals), so feel free to make one of those meals a green smoothie. To help you blend your best during your pregnancy, we have included the following here:

• a list of nutrients and foods to focus on
  • a list of things to avoid
  • two recipes we created specifically for you and your lil’ rawkstar

Essential nutrients for pregnancy

Folic Acid

Getting a good dose of folic acid is good for all sorts of healthy cell production. It is especially important during the first month of pregnancy.

Folic Acid is naturally found in the form folate which leafy greens (especially spinach and collard greens), strawberries, and beets are packed with.

Calcium

Calcium helps create healthy bones and a healthy heart, and your baby needs both! Aim for getting calcium in non-dairy forms.

Leafy greens, Almonds/Almond milk, Sesame Seeds, Flax Seeds

Fiber

Eating foods with fiber regularly will keep your regular during pregnancy, as well as lowering your blood pressure. The fiber is good for your baby, but even better for you!

Leafy greens (especially turnip greens and mustard greens), Raspberries, Cinnamon, Pear, Flax Seeds, Beets, Carrots, Oranges, Strawberries

Iron

Iron is one of the best ways to keep your blood healthy, and it also does a decent job boosting your immune system–both are necessary during pregnancy.

Leafy greens are PACKED with iron (especially spinach and swiss chard)

Protein

Protein is all about building your baby’s body, and your baby does a ton of growing during the 2nd and 3rd trimester.

Leafy greens (especially spinach, swiss chard, and mustard greens), Almonds/Almond milk, Hemp protein powder (does not have same affects as “hemp”)

Omega 3s

Our brains are very delicate and need to be maintained properly, but they especially need healthy development in the womb. Consuming omega 3s is one of the best ways to help your baby’s brain, and you should experiment with getting them in another way besides fish.

Chia seeds, Flax seeds, Walnuts

Magnesium

Magnesium is necessary for tissue growth and repair, and both your bodies’ tissues are working overtime during your term.

Leafy greens (especially spinach and swiss chard), Coconut water

Potassium

Potassium does a variety of things for your body: maintains electrolyte balance, sends nerve impulses, helps muscles to contract, and helps to capitalize on potential energy from fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. Who doesn’t need an energy boost when pregnant?

Leafy greens (especially spinach and swiss chard), Beets, Carrots, Banana, Avocado, Coconut water

Vitamin B6

Many B vitamins are helpful during pregnancy, but vitamin B6 is one of our favorites! The two most important things it does for your baby are creating new red blood cells and antibodies, and aiding in healthy brain development.

Leafy greens (especially spinach and turnip greens), banana, avocado, pineapple, cantaloupe

What to avoid when pregnant:

Heavy doses of herbs
Cilantro is a heavy metal cleanser. Parsley can cause gestation issues. You don’t have to avoid herbs all together, just don’t make them a staple in your diet.

Unwashed fruits and veggies
There can be harmful pesticides and chemicals on fruit that hasn’t been properly washed.

Excess caffeine
This isn’t normally a problem with green smoothies, unless you are using green tea as a liquid base. Use it in moderation.

Spiked green smoothies
We haven’t heard of anyone spiking their green smoothies with alcohol yet, but pregnancy probably isn’t the time to start.

One quick word of caution! Green smoothies and eating healthy are great things to do while pregnant, but avoid doing a full-blown cleanse or detox (drastic changes in eating habits can cause a detox, too). If your body begins to detox while pregnant, then these nasty toxins will leave your body any way possible–including through the placenta and into your baby. Doing a body cleanse is a great thing to do, but just make sure to do it when your baby isn’t dependent upon you to nourish it.

Baby Booster Green Smoothie Recipes

Now, here’s what you’ve all been waiting for! These two green smoothie recipes are PACKED with the essential nutrients we discussed above. Cheers to you and your baby’s health!

Baby Brain Booster Green Smoothie

• Yield: 2 1x
  • Category: Breakfast, Drinks

• 2 cups fresh spinach
  • 2 cups coconut water (unsweetened)
  • 1 banana*
  • 1 cup pineapple*
  • 1 cup carrots (uncooked)
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds

1. Blend spinach and coconut water
  2. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth

*Freeze at least one of these fruits to make the smoothie cold.

Baby Body Booster Green Smoothie

• Yield: 2 1x
  • Category: Breakfast, Drinks

• 2 cups swiss chard
  • 2 cups almond milk (unsweetened)
  • 1 banana*
  • 1 cup raspberries*
  • 1 cup strawberries*
  • 12 tbsp flaxseed powder

1. Blend swiss chard and almond milk
  2. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth

*Freeze at least one of these fruits to make the smoothie cold.

Congratulations! We wish you a healthy pregnancy and many special moments ahead. We would love to share pic of you drinking a green smoothie while pregnant. If you have any you would like to share with us, send us an email at: hello(at)simplegreensmoothies.com.

Transform your health with tasty recipes + meal plans that fuel your body so you're able to go after your passions no matter what stage of life you're in.

Plant-Powered Meal Planner
learn more

7-DAY WINTER RESET

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. delrosa

September 15th, 2013 at 10:36 am

I’ve been told that chia seeds aren’t a good idea when pregnant, simply because enough isn’t know about them. Do you have info that says otherwise?

2. Jadah and Jen

September 16th, 2013 at 8:40 am

Hi Delrosa!
    We think chia seeds are great while pregnant 🙂 Here is a great article:

3. Eduardo

September 16th, 2013 at 9:11 am

Hello!! Just thinking beyond… can I gave this smoothies to my little girl? (11 months)

4. Jadah and Jen

September 17th, 2013 at 11:00 am

Yes 🙂 Just not as large of dose as you would drink!

5. Sara

September 25th, 2013 at 11:56 am

I’m assuming the same rules/best choices would be true for nursing moms as well? Love this entire site-it’s helping me to increase what I’m already doing!

6. Jadah and Jen

October 31st, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Yes, Sara!! Enjoy! 🙂

7. Laura

September 29th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I’m nursing should I be avoiding anything or adding something specific?

8. veronica

October 3rd, 2013 at 10:52 am

This is great, thanks so much and God bless you for all the good you do!

9. Jadah and Jen

October 31st, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Thanks, Veronica!! You RAWK! 🙂

10. HealthNut Nutrition

October 22nd, 2013 at 5:53 pm

This sounds yummy! I love to make green smoothies because you can use the greens to balance out the sugars in your smoothie. I’ve really been liking this one I posted a video of on my youtube channel. It’s honestly soo yummy and easy to make! http://youtu.be/Pi1tqJX00ZU

11. Jadah and Jen

October 31st, 2013 at 11:05 pm

That’s awesome!! 🙂

12. Rachel

October 30th, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Congratulations on the baby ! The Baby Body Booster Green Smoothie looks so yummy ! I’m definitely going to make it !

13. Jadah and Jen

October 31st, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Try it! It’s delish!! 🙂

14. BSW+J

October 30th, 2013 at 11:35 pm

My friend is pregnant so this is all very helpful information to pass on! My favourite is the Baby Body Booster Green Smoothie recipe – it’s sounds amazing ! Can’t wait to make it!
    PS: Congratulations

15. Jadah and Jen

October 31st, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Yay!! 🙂

16. Jo

December 26th, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Great concept – tried my first green smoothie today… I think I may have been a bit gung ho! Made the first recipe, the baby brain smoothie and it was kinda huge and pretty chunky! Might have to ease in with more fruit based smoothies and smaller quantities, but I feel very noble knowing how much kale I put in it! (Instead of spinach).

17. Jadah and Jen

December 28th, 2013 at 11:55 am

Hi Jo!
    I’m so sorry… We forgot to add that each of these recipes makes two servings 🙁 I am so sorry!

18. Marie

January 2nd, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Hi there,

Quick question about carrots, I’ve never put them in a blender before, I am wondering how well they actually blend?!

19. Rebekah

January 3rd, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I had the same reservation- so I poured half the green smoothie before adding carrots to the other half and good news! My $75 blender did awesome with the greens and the carrots 🙂 smooth and yummy – I used a frozen banana to cool the smoothie and give it a thicker texture – worked like a charm! Enjoy!

20. Jadah and Jen

January 4th, 2014 at 8:31 am

Thanks for your response, Rebekah! Yes, carrots usually do a good job in most blenders!

21. Claudia

January 17th, 2014 at 12:17 am

I found golden flaxseed meal it’s organic and 100% whole ground…is it okay if I use this? It was the only thing i found in my local supermarket. Also how many times a week can i drink the smoothies? Thank you 🙂

22. Jadah and Jen

January 17th, 2014 at 7:56 am

Hi Claudia! That sounds like the right stuff to use 🙂 You can drink a green smoothie everyday!

23. Kelly

February 25th, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I unfortunately suffer from many food protein allergies so eating can be a challenge … I am so excited about these smoothies as they have opened up my food options in ways that I can truly enjoy. On that note can you suggest a substitute for the almond milk? Unfortunately, I have reacted to almond milk in the past. I have also been unsuccessful in substituting in the past so thought I would ask for your input before I ruin a perfectly good smoothie.

24. Jadah and Jen

February 28th, 2014 at 7:50 am

What about coconut milk? That’s the primary substitute 🙂

25. Meaghan

March 11th, 2014 at 10:12 am

I’m pregnant and a vegetarian. I worry about my protein intake as it is and know I need a lot more when I’m pregnant. Should I add hemp powder to these? And if I do, it’s ok to give some to my 2 year old too? Thanks!!

26. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 12th, 2014 at 8:14 am

Hi Meaghan!
    We’d encourage you to do some research on hemp protein powder during pregnancy, but as far as we know it seems to be acceptable to use in a green smoothie while pregnant. The same goes for your 2 y.o. 🙂

27. nicky

March 21st, 2014 at 2:37 am

Is coconut water safe to drink in the first trimester of pregnancy?

28. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 21st, 2014 at 7:38 am

That’s a great question, and we’ll have to look into it. Have you seen any research about it, yet?

29. Renu Chawla

March 21st, 2014 at 3:05 am

Hello… seems reallly interesting…m just about to make it.. but a quick query….I don’t have hands on chia seeds nd flex seeds.. can I replace it with something else???

30. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 21st, 2014 at 7:39 am

Could you blend a small handful of walnuts, Renu?

31. Renu Chawla

March 21st, 2014 at 7:42 am

O yes..great idea…. thank u sooo very much … yuppiee 🙂

1 2 3

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25