7-DAY RESET IS HERE
TOP WINTER RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Adding Protein to Your Green Smoothie

Most people are aware of the benefits of eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables… yet not everyone knows just how important protein is for your body. Protein is one of the four macronutrients that your body needs on a day-to-day basis (the other three are fats, carbs, and water). Protein is essential for our bodies to work properly.

Why is protein so important?

Because your body burns protein slower than carbs, protein is important to prevent blood sugar spikes that can not only make you feel weak and dizzy, but can also lead to serious health issues down the road.

Also, when your body has enough protein it doesn’t have to resort to burning muscle for the energy it needs, so your muscles stay strong and toned. That’s why drinking a protein-rich smoothie after a workout is an excellent way of replenishing your body!

560_Add-Protein_FB

Here’s our favorite forms of protein:

Nuts and Seeds: You may be surprised to know that tiny seeds—like chia seeds and flaxseed—pack an amazing protein punch. For instance, one ounce of chia seeds contains an impressive 4.4 grams of protein, and they boast a wonderfully nutty taste! Speaking of nutty, nuts are also a great source of protein. Just 1/4 cup of almonds or 2 tablespoons of almond butter will give you 8 grams of protein. Flaxseed is another great alternative, with 8 grams of protein per 1/4 cup. When you choose to add nuts to your green smoothie don’t forget that they’re also higher in fat, so don’t be overly generous!

Protein Powders: If you are looking for a plant-based protein that is free of animal products, your best option is hemp protein or raw vegan protein powder. Feel free to add 2-4 tablespoons to your morning green smoothies! You can buy hemp protein at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods or even online at Sunwarrior.com.

Spirulina (blue-green algae): This plant-based ingredient is an excellent source of protein that can be added to your green smoothies. Be careful, though! The taste is strong, so start off light (by using about a teaspoon) to get used to the flavor, then add more as you can.

Additional protein options include chocolate and vanilla protein powders, whey protein powder, silken tofu, soymilk, non-fat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and natural, no- sugar added peanut butter. We prefer to avoid soy and animal products, but that’s just our personal preference; if you enjoy these foods, feel free to use them in your green smoothie creations.

proteinboost

Drinking green smoothies as a meal replacement?

If you decide to drink a green smoothie as a meal replacement, it’s recommended that you add a protein source to your blender, or have a high-protein snack—such as a hardboiled egg or a handful of nuts on the side. If you work out regularly, your protein requirement will be higher, so we recommend that you adjust accordingly.

Transform your health with tasty recipes + meal plans that fuel your body so you're able to go after your passions no matter what stage of life you're in.

Plant-Powered Meal Planner
learn more

7-DAY WINTER RESET

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Linda Genella

October 8th, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Loving these smoothies & the difference they’re making in my health & energy. The info on protein is so important-heard a doctor yesterday say that it will help curb those sugar craves.

Question: Have you ever considered making a veggie smoothie recipe? I was thinking of something along the line of a Bloody Mary type drink.

2. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 9th, 2014 at 6:46 am

Hey Linda. Thanks for the comment, we are so happy to hear you are enjoying our green smoothie recipes. We are always creating new recipes and hopefully we can create some more veggie packed green smoothie soon. 🙂

3. jo

October 19th, 2014 at 11:01 am

hi I’ve been juicing for about a year now and I’ve recently started the green smoothies, I’m currently training for a half marathon so I’m very active, running 3 times a week and also strength training just wondered if there was a smoothie recipe you would recommend that will keep me energised during my training,
    thanks

4. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 20th, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Hey Jo.

Great question. Here is a link for all things athletes and training. Also this link includes a green smoothie recipe created especially for athetes. https://simplegreensmoothies.com/green-smoothie-recipes/stop-spending-money-on-expensive-supplements-and-do-this-instead

5. Rickita

November 20th, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I have been putting a tablespoon of golden flaxseed with blueberries as a topper for my green smoothies for my protein. Is that okay?

6. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 21st, 2014 at 8:39 am

Totally. 🙂 Have you tried rotating your protein? I love hemp hearts. 🙂

7. Hannah

December 7th, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Do you know of Isowhey? It’s a diet shake essentially, but it’s a whey powder, I used to love it and was wondering if it would mix weirdly with spinach and fruits and what not? And if it’s good for you, if you know it? I’m very skinny and never used it as a diet shake I used it for some more food in my day haha since I’m never hungry! Worked a treat.

8. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 8th, 2014 at 9:42 am

Hey Hannah.

Thanks for the comment. I haven’t heard of it before, sorry I can’t be more help.

9. Hannah

December 22nd, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Hey, everyone! I would recommend Vega protein powder for use in smoothies, especially if you are drinking them as a meal replacement. It is a vegan protein powder that’s sweetened with stevia, and comes in all different flavors. It has 50% of your DV for most vitamins and minerals, and 15g of protein! It also makes smoothies a little thicker and creamier. I used it in my green smoothie this morning (spinach, almond milk, bananas, and French Vanilla Vega) and it tasted like a vanilla milkshake 🙂

10. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 23rd, 2014 at 7:56 am

Thanks, Hannah.

11. RON

January 1st, 2015 at 11:07 am

Is Raw shelled hemp same as hemp seed?

12. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 2nd, 2015 at 9:06 am

13. jlo

January 2nd, 2015 at 11:57 am

Brown or Golden Flax seed … is there a difference? Is one better than the other for a green smoothie?

14. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 2nd, 2015 at 8:07 pm

I’ve never know there to be a difference. 🙂

15. adam

January 2nd, 2015 at 2:24 pm

one other idea… Why not chick peas/garbanza beans? Aren’t they a good source?

16. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 2nd, 2015 at 8:02 pm

If that sounds good to you, go for it. 🙂

17. Mary

January 2nd, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Hi Jadah & Jen,
    I have been taking green smoothies at least once a day since I found your website. At first I thought they were not OK because they ignored the rules of correct food combining. But I couldn’t take just greens and green vegetables, so I tried your recipies and found them delicious, and no gastric distress except when I add a sweet fruit and an acid fruit with the greens. I really love the way I feel and how upbeat your site is. You two are beautiful. Thanks for all the good ideas. I have been vegetarian for many years, but got into too many processed foods and too many sweets. Thanks for your inspiration.
    Mary

18. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 2nd, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for blending with us, Mary! Cheers to you!

19. Elena G

January 7th, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Hello ladies, is it ok if I use hemp seeds instead of hemp protein? I made a mistake and bought the seeds. Also, I’m on my third day of the challenge and feel a bit constipated. Did anybody experienced this as well? Thanks and congratulations on your website.

20. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 8th, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Hey Elena.

Totally. 🙂 We love them both.

This can be a common symptom if your body is not used to drinking or eating lots of fiber. Green smoothies are high in fiber which is great for digestion, but for newbies, the high fiber can shock your body. Make sure you drink lots of water to help flush things out. And if you’re new to green smoothies one serving a day is enough, which is 2 cups (16 ounces).

21. Ralph

January 14th, 2015 at 12:59 pm

If I go to the gym at 4 will the smoothie I drink after the gym (Usually done around 5:10ish) considered dinner?

my smoothie is made up of:
    1 scoop plant head protein powder
    1 banana
    10 oz. almond milk
    And then some random fruits I have lying around.

I’m really having trouble with this.

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 14th, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Hey Ralph.

Since we are not nutritionist and I am not sure what you ate the rest of the day + how much you worked out. The best bet is to confirm with the gym nutritionist. It sounds like a good meal, but we personally don’t use head protein powder.

23. kim klebine

February 2nd, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Exactly how much protein do you add to the smoothies to make a meal replacement? Say for example chia seeds do you add 4 tablespoons? protein powders 1/2 scoop to 1 scoop? Hemp hearts/seeds 4 tablespoons? Nuts 1/4 of a cup? Have to agree this is a wonderful site!

24. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 3rd, 2015 at 6:49 am

Hey Kim. We suggest 1 serving of protein + 16 oz to make a meal replacement. On the back on your packaging should state what one serving is. I believe for hemp hearts it is 3 tbsps. 🙂

25. kay

March 6th, 2015 at 8:40 am

What about pea proteins powders?

26. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 6th, 2015 at 10:06 am

Totally. 🙂

27. Jessie

April 1st, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Hello! I’m lovin’ the green smoothie goodness. I usually add 2 Tablespoons of chia seeds (soaked overnight in water to form a gel) and add them to the green smoothie. Just 2 Tablespoons of those wonderful seeds adds 4 grams of protein to the smoothie and when you soak the seeds, it helps draw toxins out of the body.
    Keep up the green smoothie love! 🙂

28. SGS Rawkstar

April 1st, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Thanks for the great information, Jessie! Cheers 🙂

29. Rosario Ayala

April 3rd, 2015 at 9:57 am

What about adding whey protein powder to my green smoothies? I like to add vanilla whey protein powder to my smoothies. I find that it gives them a smooth taste.

30. SGS Rawkstar

April 3rd, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Hi Rosario,

We prefer to avoid soy and animal products, but that’s just our personal preference; if you enjoy whey protein powder, feel free to use it in your green smoothie creations!

1 2 3 4 5 6

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25