FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

6 ways to Reboot Your Immune System

6 Green Smoothie Ingredients to Reboot Your Immune System

Feeling under the weather and looking for natural alternatives to get your immune system back in check? Look no further than these six amazing ingredients. We toss them into our green smoothies all the time— helping us fight off stubborn colds and flus.

Ginger:

This all-natural superfood is the ultimate in immune boosting and detoxifying properties. Adding just a ¼-½ inch chunk of fresh ginger to your green smoothies has amazing health benefits. A little goes a long way so if you’re not used to using fresh ginger, start off small and add more. If you’re feeling a sniffle or cold coming on, then ginger will help kick that cold to the curb just a bit faster.

Here’s some healthy tips on prepping your ginger

Citrus Fruits:

Extremely high in vitamin C, consuming citrus fruits during the winter months–when they are inexpensive and widely available–will help boost your immune system and help clear out any cold/flu viruses quickly. An easy way to do this is by using freshly squeeze orange juice as your green smoothie base, or squeeze the juice from half a lemon/lime to get a punch of vitamin C.

Get 8 favorite citrus fruits in green smoothies

Berries:

Berries contain tons of immune-boosting nutrients: vitamin C, fiber and natural energy for the whole day. They taste fabulous, are available mostly year round (sometimes in the freezer section during the winter months), and add a burst of fresh flavor.

Here’s 5 berries we love using in our green smoothies

Leafy Greens:

Leafy greens are the powerhouse nutrition for vitamins A and C, as well as protein, fiber and calcium. They help clear out any toxins, leaving your body able to push past a cold and flu fast without relying on unnatural cough and cold syrups.

Here’s the top 13 leafy greens we like to use in green smoothies

Kiwis:

Loaded with vitamin C and fiber, kiwis are available during the winter months. If you can’t find berries or oranges, reach for the kiwi. Did you know one kiwi has more Vitamin C than an orange and the skin is completely edible? Yep. Just scrub it with a veggie brush to get it nice and clean, and eat away (if you can handle it!). Or toss it into your blender for an extra boost of fiber and nutrition.

Apples:

These crunchy beauties are loaded with fiber and vitamin C to boost your immune system and give you natural energy for the whole day. An apple a day does keep the doctor (and your cold) away.

Keeping a few of these fruits and veggies on hand in your kitchen, especially during the winter months, will help you push past that troublesome cold and flu season. Try them all and see which ones work best for you. Report back by commenting below with your favorites!

SGS_info_immune

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. kelly says:

Would it be okay to use ground ginger instead of fresh?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Kelly,

You definitely can! While the process to dry and ground ginger changes some levels of nutrients, it’s still a great option when you don’t have fresh on hand.

2. Janet says:

Hi Green Goddesses!
    I’m on day four of green smoothies! My husband just got very sick with the bronchial crud that is going around (I had it in the fall), so I have been sharing immune boosting smoothies with him. I thought he would balk at the color, but he’s sort of a captive audience right now 😉 I made up some of that wonderful lemon, ginger, honey, tea too…what a wonderful thing to have on hand!
    I just bought a large (for me) container of kiwis and have looked through your tips for freezing greens and fruit. I suppose kiwis are freezable too…any tips I should know about freezing them?
    Thank you for your wonderful healthy service and love!

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Janet,

Thanks for reaching out! We’re sending plenty of healing vibes your husband’s way + love hearing how you’re fueling his body back to health with green smoothies + our all-natural remedy. Kiwis freeze great! I actually just froze some yesterday. Simply cut up your kiwi and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in the freezer. Once frozen place in a ziploc or freezer safe container for storage. These tips work for any fruit!

Hope this helps! 🙂

3. Helen says:

I am really enjoying all your recipes and the valuable info, however, I am only into the fourth day of the 30 day challenge and already feeling the benifits, my question is “how do I keep all the recipes that you have posted?

4. Megan LoPiccolo says:

I am really enjoying all of the great ideas and have felt encouraged to try new options. Right now, I am sipping on 1/2 Avocado, 1 kiwi, 1 banana, 1 skinned orange (peel intact :), 1 cup coconut milk, flax seed meal, & hemp powder. Is it possible to put too much into a smoothie? What is a good balance? Like cup per cup. Thanks ladies Rawk on!!

5. Stacy says:

Love all these tips. Went and got some ginger and a bunch of kiwis! Time to up my immunity! I can’t lie since I’ve been on this site following the recommendations – I feel so much better – mind of matter? not this time. This is purely because of all the green shakes I’ve been drinking lately! Thank you girls for your wonderful site 🙂

6. Liz says:

This is my first attempt at green smoothies, and I am replacing 2 meals a day to help aid in my weight loss. I tried the Kiwi Tango today, so yummy! I signed up for your challenge but at week three…is there a way to get the recipes for week 1 and 2?

7. Brenda says:

Love the tips! Keep them coming…

8. Sara says:

Where do you ladies get your produce? I also live in the central Florida area. Any hidden gems I haven’t found? 🙂

• Hi Sara!
      Mostly frequently the local grocery stores like Publix 🙂 But occasionally we’ll go to a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s for some special stuff!

9. Please note that some people, like myself, have sever allergic reactions to Kiwis and can go into anaphylactic shock. So if you have never had a kiwi before, tread with care and caution. You can Google “Kiwi Allergies” to find out more.

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE