FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

How to naturally sweeten your green smoothies

12.5.2013

We love bananas, and use them often in our green smoothies. These yellow friends act as nature’s sweetener and also contain a boat load of nutrients like potassium, fiber and vitamin C. If your green smoothie tastes a bit like lawn clippings, try adding a banana or two. This will help turn a pulpy smoothie into a creamy and delicious smoothie — just how they should taste!

We often buy a few bunches of bananas if they’re on sale, and peel and toss them into the freezer once they ripen. So, if you need to chill down and sweeten a green smoothie, all you have to do is pull out a frozen banana.
Want to know how to freeze bananas?  Check this out:
Step One: Be sure bananas are fully ripe – brown spots are your friend!

Step Two: Peel bananas and chop into 3 – 4 pieces.

Step Three: Place bananas in a single layer on a flat tray and place in freezer until frozen—this step helps prevent a clumpy banana mess.

Step Four: Take frozen bananas off of tray and place into a freezer bag or freezer-safe plastic container and store in freezer for later use.

Not big on bananas… or can’t eat them altogether?

Bananas are not the only natural sweetener out there. For those just not into bananas, try freezing them to reduce their flavor. You can also add other natural sweeteners like dates, figs, apples, peaches, grapes, or mangos to your green smoothies. Tip: Adding more sweet fruits to a recipe will help mask the “green” flavor—especially if you aren’t used to it!

Want the creaminess of a banana without the taste?

Bananas aren’t the only fruit that can make your smoothie thick and creamy. Avocados, mangoes, or even 2 tablespoons of chia seeds (soaked for a few minutes before blending) will help the consistency of your green smoothie and turn it into a creamy concoction.

Can’t I just add sugar?

We usually don’t add extra sweeteners to our green smoothies— fruit is all we use! If you still need a little extra something to enjoy your green smoothie, then try adding just a little real maple syrup or raw honey until you adjust to the green smoothie lifestyle. Please, please, please stay away from zero-calorie or artificial sweeteners—they act like toxins in your body.

Saying “no,” to b’naners altogether? We’ve dedicated this page just for you with our banana-free recipes!

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Kathy says:

Hi, I typically use stevia to sweeten my green smoothies. Can you explain why this is not advised? I thought stevia was safe and natural.

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Kathy,

Stevia is a natural sweetener that is so hot right now, but Meg (our nutritionist) recommends skipping out on it. Stevia is highly refined, just like white sugar. So even though it comes from a natural source, we don’t really consider it a top natural sweetener choice. Of course always do your own research, consult with your health practitioner, listen to your own body, and do what works best for your dietary needs and lifestyle.

Learn more about our favorite natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup here…

2. Becky W says:

Thank you this is exactly what I needed…natural sweeteners. I didn’t want to overdo it with the agave and there are some fruits that I’m allergic to.

3. Clare says:

I’m new to smoothies and just kind of bought all sorts from the store and came up with this:
    Kale
    Spinach
    Celery
    0% fat yoghurt
    Carrots
    1/4 lemon
    1/4 lime
    Tsp ginger powder
    Tsp turmeric
    Coconut water
    It is nice – the ginger gives it a nice kick but it’s really not sweet enough – what would be the best way to sweeten it? Would adding flavoured yoghurt do it? Or stevia? I don’t want to make it too sweet just a bit sweeter?

4. Terry says:

Hi, On the stevia questions l have a stevia plant in my south facing window and if l want to make a smoothie sweeter l add one leaf! If you want to grow your own stevia plant remember it prefers to be on the dry side

5. evie says:

I am pregnant and therefore not eating anything unpasteurized. Is pasteurized honey no longer considered raw once it’s been through pasteurization? Is there any reason not to use pure agave nectar?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Evie.

I am sorry, I do not know the answers to those questions, I would suggest asking your healthcare provider for the best concrete answer.

• the father of ZEN says:

Hi evie. If you have not found an answer to your question about pasteurized “honey”, here is what i have found through online research: the short answer is no, it is no longer considered raw once it has been pasteurized. the long answer (and the reason i put honey in quotes) is it technically is no longer honey. i apologize i don’t have any links to back my claims, but just a simple online search for “raw vs pasteurized honey” will start you in the right direction.

hope this helps

6. Lynnisha says:

Is Stevia considered an artificial sweetener?

7. Aida Garcia says:

I use pears to sweeten my green smoothies and it tastes awesome!

8. Aida Garcia says:

I use pears to sweeten by green smoothie and it tastes awesome!

9. Aida Garcia says:

I use pears to sweetened by green smoothie and it tastes awesome!

10. Suzette says:

What are your thoughts on adding camu camu powder to smoothies?

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

We don’t really use it much at all in our green smoothies, but it’s your choice as to whether you’d like to or not!

11. nia says:

how about adding spoon of stevia?

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

We aren’t big fans of adding sweeteners, Nia, but it’s up to you if you’d like to try it!

1 2

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE