frozen smoothie packs

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

4.1.2014

Jump to Recipe Plant-Based Diet • How to • Make Ahead Smoothie Prep Are you ready to RAWK your smoothie world? With my simple smoothie prep guide, you’ll be saving time and money with just a little bit of work. The next healthy habit to embrace on your road to health and happiness is making […]

Share the recipe

The next healthy habit to embrace on your road to health and happiness is making your daily smoothies ahead of time. Prepping your smoothies shaves off precious extra minutes in your morning routine, plus it puts the kibosh on any other excuses that stand in the way of you sipping on some healthy green goodness.

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”  ― Benjamin Franklin

Can I get an amen on Franklin’s words of wisdom for us all?

Make ahead smoothies really save me precious time in the morning. I love not having to think about cutting up fruit, measuring anything or accidentally running out of smoothie ingredients. (because we know that happens to all of us!)

Smoothie ingredients used to prep ahead

3 Smoothie Prep Benefits

1. Enjoyable time in the kitchen: I actually enjoy spending a few minutes on Sundays prepping smoothies for the week (or month!). I crank up Alexa and turn my kitchen into a cooking show… yet there’s no meal to put on the table or pots and pans to clean!
  2. Sets the foundation for healthier habits. According to a recent study, “Spending less than one hour a day preparing food at home is associated with eating more fast food and spending more money eating out.”
  3. It’s the easiest way to prep ahead for the week. Now, I know it can be hard to meal plan each week, but smoothie prep is such a simple task…AND it creates big results. I hope you give it a shot with my step by step tutorial…
How to prep ahead smoothies for the week with bags or jars
Smoothie ingredients all laid out to prep for the week

In addition to prepping your smoothies, you can also freeze them blended. Yep! You can actually blend your smoothies and freeze them until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but the smoothies will still be fine to consume.

Make Ahead Smoothies in freezer with bags stacked nicely
clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon print print icon squares squares icon
frozen smoothie packs

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 7 smoothies
  • Category: smoothies
  • Method: blending
  • Cuisine: american
  • Diet: Vegan

Make smoothies in half the time with our make ahead smoothie prep guide. You can use this process to prep for a day, a week or even a month– depending on how much space you have in your freezer!

• measuring cups
  • quart bags or canning jars (regular or wide-mouth)
  • permanent marker
  • your fav fruit and leafy greens
  • Daily Blends smoothie recipe app

1. Decide which recipes you’ll make for the week and have the recipe on hand. Feel free to use our Smoothie library for inspiration.
  2. Slice or cut fruit into chunks.  You can also cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily.

3. Label bag and jar lids with recipe name and date. Be specific. You might also want to include how much of which liquid gets blended with each smoothie pack (to have when you’re ready to blend).
  4. Measure out the ingredients and pack into jars or bags.
  5. Remove as much air as possible from bags and jars when sealing closed. Pack fruit and leafy greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids.
  6. Place in freezer. Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly.
  7. When ready to use, remove from freezer. Add liquid base to container or bag (which helps defrost the fruit slightly). You can also thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.
  8. Pour into blender and blend until smooth.

• Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.
  • If hoar frost forms on the fruit and greens, it is still perfectly safe to consume. It can be rinsed off with lukewarm water.
  • Store smoothie packs away from foods with strong odors. Glass jars offer the best protection against odors.

Keywords: smoothie prep, make ahead smoothie,

COMMENTS

1. wanda says:

Hi, I will be blendin for the first time on Sunday 9/20/15. I am excited and I enjoyed reading the comments. They were very helpful an encouraging. Thank you for this site!

Hi Wanda,

Wahoo! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us. How was your first green smoothie? What did you blend? Reach out with any questions, we’re here 24/7!

2. Sophia says:

Hi there,

I’m keen to give the challenge a go. Just wondering if I can use a food processor instead of a blender? I guess it’ll do the same thing right? just havent tried making a smoothie in it before. Thanks girls

3. Lennie says:

I found out I am allergic to Chia seeds. Any suggestions on substitutions.

4. Shanel says:

Hi! I recently tried freezing jars with fruit and they cracked. :/
    Has this ever happened to you and do you have any suggestions as to how to keep this from happening again?

Thanks!

5. Elisia says:

Hi, I’m heading to Cancun, Mexico in November and am really hoping to bring my Vitamix to continue my green smoothies regime. Do you know if Mexican customs/security allows these (I’m coming from Canada with a layover in the U.S.)
    Also, how long can you freeze an already blended smoothie for and will it lose more nutrients the longer you freeze it?
    Thanks in advance

Hi Elisia,

Did you know Jadah travels everywhere with her Blendtec? She usually wraps her blender + places it in her backpack as a carry-on, or occasionally wraps it in bubble wrap in her suitcase. While she may receive some weird looks from security, she’s never had any issues traveling with her blender, but it’s always best to reach out to TSA or your local airport security to double check when traveling international.

Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks. Storing your smoothie packs in the freezer will help preserve all of their nutritional goodness!

Enjoy your travels to Cancun!! Cheers 🙂

6. Katy says:

Hi! So excited to start my journey with smoothies. I just have a question. If I am prepping for the week is it okay to have my smoothie packs in the fridge or do they need to be frozen?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Kathy,

Great question! To prevent your leafy greens from wilting or any of your fruits from going bad before you’re ready to blend, we suggest freezing smoothie packs until you’re ready!! Just let them sit on the counter for a few minutes before blendin’, so your ingredients pour easily into your blender.

Cheers!!

7. Chica Cali says:

Hello,
    I was just diagnosed with pre diabetes and I need to incorporate more greens what Cain of smoothie would be good for me

Hi Chica Cali,

Thank you so much for reaching out! Green smoothies are a great way to add leafy greens to your diet! But, since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that green smoothies and the natural sugars are okay for their eating plan.

Here is a link to our favorite low sugar fruits…

Hope that helps.

8. Karen S says:

Hi!!
    First thanks so much for doing what you do!! I’m a teacher so was very excited to do your challenge in July!! I feel great!!! I even splurged on a vitamix!! Woo hoo! Going back to work I’ve experimented with the freezer pack smoothies…(as I will be making them in the morning for lunch and breakfast– they’re so filling!) I am finding that the fruit is freezing together like a rock making it difficult for even the vitamix to blend easily– I have to tamper away and end up needing a lot more liquid– if I take out the freezer pack the night before and put it in the fridge does it matter if the greens defrost some? I’m trying to figure out how I can do this in one quick step with minimal effort… Let’s just say I’m not a morning person– but always feel much better after the smoothie!!! Thanks again ladies!!

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for reaching out! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us + love that your finding ways to make your mornings SIMPLE + nutritious. Finding your fruit freezing together? Are you using fresh fruit in your smoothie prep kits? If so, cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily. Before blending, thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.

Hope this helps! And we hope you have a wonderful school year!

9. Laura says:

Hi!
    Can you tell me the size of those mason jars used in the pictures above? How many oz do they hold?
    Thanks!

10. thisbpie says:

Can you substitute raw Brussel Sprouts for some of the greens? or should they be cooked?

• thisbpie says:

Also wanted to say I am starting today with this next step in my Lifestyle change. This seems like a great way to add some veggies for the nutritional value.

Hi Thisbpie,

We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! We love experimenting with new vegetables, brussel sprouts sound like a great addition. We suggest trying raw + cooked, and start small initially, then add more as you enjoy the added flavor!

11. Jeannie says:

Hi. I was wondering if anyone ever tried freezing the smoothie in the actual blender bottle with the little blender ball already in it? I make 5-6 smoothies every night for five people in the morning and usually just put them in the fridge. It would be so much easier to make enough for at least 3 days and freeze them. Do you think they would be okay since the blender bottles are not air tight like a freezer bag? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Hi Jeannie,

Great question! Blending + freezing green smoothies is a great way to make enjoying your green smoothies even easier! We suggest freezing in an airtight container like a Ziploc or freezer-safe mason jar…but it’s worth a try! Try one out + see how it works for you.

12. Beth says:

Hi!
    I am not crazy about kale. Can I substitute spinach for it? Any suggestions on how to use kale to get used to the taste?

13. Kristine says:

I LOVE these smoothies and got my husband hooked. We decided we wanted to lose some weight and get healthier so we have a delicious green smoothie with a protein every evening for supper and it’s working! Our kids love the smoothies too and I have even shared some recipes with my mother and sister and sent them your link so they can get on board for the next 30 day challenge. Thanks for the awesome recipes! Cannot wait for the book to come out!!

Hi Kristine,

YAY! We’re so excited to have your whole family blendin’ with us. What a great way to ensure your family is getting tons of nutrients, vitamins, + green goodness!

Sending lots of love and leafy greens your way.

14. Ellie says:

My question is “Chia seeds”. Will they be beneficial in the blender cuz aren’t they suppose to soak a bit b4 you use them? Thanks you gals are great

15. Jenn says:

Hi 🙂
    I have a quick question about the he quantity of greens… when the recipe call for 2 cups let’s say, should it be tightly or loosely packed? Or is that really more of a preference?
    Thanks so much!

Hi Jenn,

Great question! We prefer to pack our leafy greens when measuring them, but then again, we can’t get enough!!

16. ElsaMiquelaTregoat says:

what is actually in the 21 day challenge or is it 31? I see its a cleanse. I’m living in Paris, France till the first week in September. I would like to get back to a healthy “me” as I have been really enjoying the delicious food here and though is not unhealthy too much of anything isn’t great. Thanks, Miquella

Hi Elsa,

I have a sweet tooth, and couldn’t image the willpower it would take walking the streets of France with the smell of fresh pastries in the air. Interested in learning more about our FreshStart21 Cleanse…Our resident holistic nutritionist, Meg Thompson, recommends making cleansing a regular part of your health care regime to recharge and reset your body. Your body will love you for it!

Cleanse your body with vegan friendly, detoxing recipes!

Learn more by trying our Free 1-Day Cleanse Kit here…

17. Elizabeth says:

If slicing bananas ahead of time & placing in glass jars……won’t the banana pieces turn brown ?

Hi Elizabeth,

Great question! Yes, the bananas will brown, but they will taste delicious + their nutritional value will still be there! Want to try and prevent browning, coat your banana slices in lemon juice prior to freezing!

Hope this helps!

18. Melissa says:

Hi there, i just have a question about the freezing process.. I froze some kale (in a ziploc bag) and 3 days later is smelled/tasted terrible! What did i do wrong??

Hi Melissa,

Oh no! Any chance your kale was past its prime prior to freezing? If your kale was fresh, make sure you dry your kale prior to placing it in the freezer. Any additional moisture can cause the kale to wilt, leaving your leaves soggy, instead of delicious!

19. Mb says:

I love your website too, and the BEST suggestion is to blend liquid with greens first. I have a simple drink blender, just 1 high and 1 low speed, and do not have a problem with chunks. I also blend after each added ingredient. So good!

Hi Mb,

Thank you so much for reaching out + blending with us! We love hearing from our community, so thank you for taking the time to let us know how our tips are working for you!

20. Chris says:

I’m fairly new to using greens in my smoothies, but excited to start trying your recipes. I love kale, so started with that (curly kale). I use a nutribullet, but it’s leaving little chewy bits of kale. Any suggestions for getting a smoother consistency?

Hi Chris,

We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us, thanks for reaching out! I just picked up a NutriBullet this week, and I absolutely love it! To help breakdown your leafy greens, we suggest blending your leafy greens + liquid base first, then add your remaining ingredients. Adding at least one frozen fruit will help breakdown any remaining pieces, as well. Hope these tips help, reach back out + let us know how these tips work for you!

21. Jamie says:

I use a magic bullet for my smoothies. I think I can freeze all the ingredients in those plastic jars ahead of time, just like mason jars?

And why not add all ingredients, including almond milk before freezing?

My favorite recipe is 1 C greens (chard and kale), 1 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk, half a banana, 1 C of blueberries, 1 T Chia Seeds, 1 T whey protein and 1 T fresh ground peanut butter. I add a little agave nectar to sweeten it a bit.

I would think the above would be fine to layer in a container ahead of time?

Hi Jamie,

Great questions! Using your magic bullet containers (which are freezer safe!) sounds like a great idea, and will make prepping just that much easier! We suggest waiting to add your liquid base until you’re ready to blend, you need that liquid to help your blender breakdown all of the frozen fruit + leafy greens!

And your favorite recipe looks perfect! Just hold off on the almond milk when prepping your smoothies!

22. David says:

Hi just purchased the July recipe cards and noticed that the cards are only for 5 days and not 7. Do I do them Monday to Friday with the weekend off? Also can you freeze the leafy greens in the same bags as the fruits?
    Thanks in advance
    Davey

Hi David,

Great questions! We share five recipes for each week + then use our weekend’s as “free days” – they’re perfect for finishing up any remaining ingredients from our shopping list, or re-blending our favorites from that week!

And yes, leafy greens freeze great! Include them while prepping your smoothies!

Happy Blending!

23. Tomeka says:

Since when is almond milk considered dairy?

24. Corrina says:

Can you freeze raw leafy greens or do you need to steam or blanch them first? I always hear mixed responses it gets confusing what you can & can’t do!!!

25. Jamie Lohman says:

SO going to start prepping ahead, so that when I go back to work in Sept. I can still do this.
    I am hooked! Loving how I feel.

26. D says:

Hi! I am REALLY REALLY new to this…like I haven’t blended my first smoothie yet (I will be today)! These smoothies are for 2 servings. Dumb question, but should we drink the whole thing (both servings) throughout the day? 🙂

Hi D,

WELCOME! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! And not a dumb question at all…it’s really all about what works for you. Personally I love blendin’ the entire recipe, I use the first serving as a breakfast meal replacement https://simplegreensmoothies.com/recipes/meal-replacement-smoothie and then I place the second serving in an airtight container, like a mason jar, in the refrigerator to have as a quick healthy snack option later in the day. If I don’t enjoy my second serving, I add a little bit of lemon juice and keep the blended smoothie for up to two days (separation is natural, so just give it a quick shake before enjoying). If I know I won’t have the second serving, I just cut the recipe in half.

You can use your smoothie as a quick snack like I do any time of day, or as a meal replacement for any meal. Just know when enjoying your smoothie at night, it gives you a great energy boost, similar to a cup of coffee!

And if you’re new to green smoothies, check out our favorite recipe for those new to blendin’ leafy greens…Beginner’s Luck!

Please reach out with any questions, we’re always here!

27. Glenda says:

Love the idea of prep-ing – why didn’t I think of that. I have recipes,ingredients and the machine, but when it is time to work my plan, I just fall because I don’t have time or desirous to put the plan in action. Thank you from a lazy juicer. Now, I can prepare ahead of time and just put everything in the machine – THANK YOU, THANK YOU. Now I can actively join the 30 day challenge and complete it.

Hi Glenda,

We’re so excited to hear this will help you be successful in our 30-Day Challenge! Thanks for blendin’ with us!

28. Kristi says:

Please help! I am new to green smoothies. I was very adventurous and bought, pre made and froze all of the recipes in the recent email. Not realizing, I placed kale with stems in the blender and not blending them well has left my smoothies gritty/leafy. I continued on with my quest of making smoothies. They are now all made and frozen. This has led to my concern of eating the smoothies rather than drinking them to their full enjoyment. In order to fix this epic mistake, should I let them defrost and blend again or adding something like more liquid then blending is better ? Thanks in advance!

29. Jules says:

I am curious if I can use a juicer? Or can I just use any kind of blender? I can’t really afford a Vitamix right now.

• lindsay says:

I have a nutri-ninja bullet. It costs much less than a full blender, you could even use a regular blender. The problem with juicers is that you aren’t getting all the vitamins from the skins etc. that your body needs. There is a lot of nutrition left over in that pale you have to dump. I hope this helps! FYI I don’t know where you are located but Walmart just had the ninja blender things for only 40.00 🙂 as of two days ago

30. Amanda says:

Hi I’m new to green smoothies but can’t wait to try them! I love the idea of prepping beforehand but was wondering if you have to freeze them? Could they be stored in the fridge instead and if so how long before they should be used (to be blended and already blended ones to be consumed)?

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for reaching out! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! Blended green smoothies will keep in the fridge for up to two days in an airtight container. We suggest adding a small amount of lemon juice to help preserve their green goodness! Separation is natural, so give you smoothie a quick shake before enjoying!

If you’re not planning on freezing your prepped smoothies, we suggest keeping your ingredients separate, it will help them last longer, than mixing the greens + fruits ahead of time.

31. Kristie says:

Hello, great info BTW, thank you! I was wondering what blender you use that fits the mason jars??

Hi Kristie,

We use a 32oz mason jar to store our smoothie ingredients before blendin’, but we pour it’s contents into a blender to mix it all up. We’ve heard from some of our SGS tribe that they can attach their mason jar right on to the blender’s base…we suggest reaching out to the individual blender company to see if their blender is a safe + proper option.

32. Susan says:

Is the quart size 2 servings or one ?

Thanks,
    Susan

Hi Susan,

Thanks for reaching out! Our recipes yield about 4-5 cups (32oz – 40oz), and we recommend one serving to be 2 cups (16oz). We find we’re able to fit a full recipe (about 2 servings) into the quart-sized jars and bags if we pack the greens tightly. If you’re having trouble fitting an entire recipe in the container, feel free to use less fruit or add a fresh banana when you blend it. 🙂

33. Dina says:

I use a Smart Stick style Blender for my smoothies! I loosely fill a 16 oz cup with greens and add the liquid. Blend it up then add my frozen fruit and protein powder (I use “Unjury” recommended by my Dr. *21g protein per scoop). One more good blend and I’m done! Cleanup is a breeze with a cup of hot soapy water then a clean hot rinse. If I’m on the go then I can toss the cup (but I usually wash them and reuse them). Have a Smooth Day!
    You Are Amazing…Remember That!

Hi Dina!

Thanks for reaching out. So happy to hear you found a blender and go-to smoothie combination that works for you! 🙂

34. Iris Nash says:

My interest in making smoothies ahead of time is due to not having a blender where I want to be consuming them, but do have a freezer. I wonder if the nutrient content is at all comparable when blended before hand and then stored in mason jars and frozen then thawed just before drinking. Any input on this method of premaking green drinks?

Hi Iris!

Thank you so much for reaching out! I have done some research on this and have found that there isn’t that much of a difference, from frozen to fresh. So feel free to do what works best for you! 🙂 Give your green smoothie a nice shake before consuming!

35. SmoothieNewbie says:

For weight loss I’ve been making smoothies with spinach, green apple, protein powder, juice from one lemon, ground flaxseed, and Gatorade for the liquid base. I pour the blended smoothie into the Gatorade bottles and freeze the bottles overnight. I hit the gym, bringing the frozen bottles. (One bottle of Gatorade results in 2 bottles of smoothie). I am doing intermittent fasting, so I wait until I finish the workout to drink the cold slushy smoothie. It helps me lose weight. It’s like a reward for dragging my lazy behind into the gym. Guess this isn’t good for everybody, but it’s working for me.

36. Sarah says:

When I start with all the ingredients frozen, I have found that I need to add more liquid to blend to a consistency I like. Definitely not a big deal, but just a tip for anyone trying this for the first time!

37. m says:

I’m going shopping today and am excited to be starting the cleanse! How do you keep the bananas from browning while freezing? Have you tried coating them with lemon juice?

Hi M,

Coating the bananas slices in lemon juice prior to freezing is a great way to prevent browning!

38. Erin says:

Whoops! I guess I should’ve read the comment right before mine! Lol

39. Erin says:

I’m loving your website! I like to prep anything ahead that I can and love your suggestion of mason jars.
    I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere so I thought I’d share a game-changer for preppers.
    THE BLADE/COLLAR FOR MOST BLENDERS FITS RIGHT ONTO A STANDARD MASON JAR! You can prep and blend all in one vessel!

Hi Erin,

That’s a great tip! We’re all about making the green smoothie life as easy as possible! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

40. Kathirynne says:

If you prep all your smoothie ingredients (except for the liquid, which is added just before you blend it the smoothie) in regular mouth Mason jars (and then store the jars in the freezer), you can screw your blender blade onto the top of the jar and blend the smoothie right in the jar…and then drink it out of the jar. (fewer dishes to wash = happier me!)

41. Danica says:

Are you freezing the liquid base with the veggies/fruit or adding the liquid to the frozen stuff once you are ready to blend? Looks like you might add it in and not freeze it.. just wanting to clarify! Thanks!

Hi Danica,

Good question! We add our liquid base right when we’re ready to blend, and just freeze the fruits + leafy greens.

42. suzie says:

hi, I froze my green leafy vegetables once (straight from supermarket to freezer) and all gone bad (mushy and brown) the next day. Does it make a difference when it is lock in zipper bag or mason jar?

Hi Suzie,

I’m so sorry to hear your leafy greens didn’t freeze well! When using ziploc bags make sure to remove as much air as possible from the bags when sealing closed. When using mason jars pack fruit and greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids. Also, make sure there is plenty of air circulation around the bags or mason jars to ensure your leafy greens freeze as quickly as possible!

Were your greens mushy in the freezer, or had you thawed them? If you thawed them, share how you thawed your leafy greens! We’d love to get to the bottom of this, and help you out!

43. Angelee says:

If I were to add flax seed oil and whey protein, how much would you recommend using for a two serving smoothie?

Hi Angelee,

We haven’t used flax seed oil, so I would follow the serving size suggestion from the specific product you’re using. We suggest just one tablespoon of ground flaxseed or whole seeds to your smoothie for a subtle, nutty flavor with more than subtle nutrition. And 4 tbs of protein powder!

44. Casey says:

With greens like kale or collard greens with thick “spines” do you remove and just use leaves, or leave in and blend bones stems/spines ?

Hi Casey,

Great question! Thick spines and stems can be tough on the blender, so we like to remove them before blendin’!

45. Jenny says:

I blend my spinach with half a cup of liquid and freeze it. I defrost it over night and just add fresh fruit and another half cup of liquid. Makes life a lot easier however, I wonder if the spinach looses any nutritional by doing that.

46. Esther Anders says:

I made a week’s worth in around 30 min and put them all in freezer bags. I did freeze my spinach because over a weeks time it starts to go bad and loose more of the nutrients. So to not have to spend more on smaller packs or throw out any, I just put them in the bag as well; I also add kale. I do find though that they do take longer to blend when I do this (although the spinach goes in first and blends with no problem it’s that all the fruit is frozen so it takes longer), so I may just stick to pulling out what I would like for the day when I need it. I do enjoy smoothies, and found it’s helping cut down on sugar cravings, and my Acid reflex (since I add Pineapple)! That is a huge plus for me, and my skin color is improving. Thanks!

47. amber says:

i didnt know you could frreeze in the jars, dont they break?

Hi Amber,

We like to use the 32oz freezer safe mason jars, just to be safe!

• Chris says:

I can’t find 32oz freezer safe jars anywhere. Where do you get them?

• Wendy says:

Do you use the 32 oz jars per recipe or per serving? If per serving,would the 16 oz jars be okay?

Hi Wendy,

Yes, we use the 32oz jars to prep an entire recipe (2 servings), so the 16oz jars should be a great option if you’re only wanting to prepare 1 serving!

Hi Chris,

Kerr makes great 32oz freezer safe wide-mouthed jars! I love picking mine up from Sam’s Club.

• laurel says:

My favorite size of mason jars is the 24 oz wide mouth. The sides are completely straight, so the contents slide out even when frozen. And the size works, for me, as a single serving.

48. Liz says:

I find that if you move the freezer bag out of the freezer and into the fridge the night before, The fruit is a perfect consistency for blending. Also, I do not freeze the greens….how much time does it really take to grab the couple of handfuls from the container!?!

Prepping is the best way to go for anyone on a tight morning schedule (OH, that is pretty much EVERYONE!!!)

Hi Liz,

Thanks for sharing your prepping tips! Cheers to peace, love + leafy greens! 🙂

49. SR says:

But you use almond milk in the Meal on the Go Green Smoothie. Do you no longer include almond milk in any of your recipes?

Hi SR,

We love almond milk! We’ve made the personal decision to avoid cow’s milk, but you need to find what works for you!

50. Amy says:

I started drinking smoothies last summer and was doing great w/ them…then school started and i slacked off. i have a blender that i use and it does fine, but it was taking me too long to make them in the morning. i haven’t looked at your recipe cards and have a base that i always use (almond milk, spinach/kale, greek yogurt, oats, chia/flax seeds, 1/2 a banana) and to that i add about 2 c of various fruits. i was wondering about blending the spinach & milk together and keep it in the fridge?

Hi Amy,

We’ve made the personal decision to not include dairy in our recipes, we’ve talked with a lot of nutritionists and milk isn’t all that it’s been hyped up to be. Therefore, I’m sorry, but I’m not sure how using milk products will effect storing your smoothies!

51. meech says:

What size are the canning jars?

• meech says:

Nevermind, I read it again, lol

Hi Meech,

Just in case, we love using the 20oz wide mouth freezer safe mason jars, as they are perfect for prepping! But any freezer safe jar or freezer bag will work!

52. Lindsay says:

If you buy frozen fruits from the store, do you need to wash them before use?

Hi Lindsay,

Frozen fruit from the grocery store should have already been washed prior to packaging by the company, so you’re all set to just go ahead and blend!

53. Regina Collins says:

I am joining today. Instead of a blender can I use my nutribullet?

54. MIKE HOFFMAN says:

Can the jars that spaghetti sauce comes in be used instead of the mason jars?

55. Kathy says:

Hi there tried the Orange Julius so far I was brave and doubled recipe to save a little time with blending. Not sure if it’s the Almond milk I will need to develope a taste for but im looking forward to trying different smoothies. I was adding 3-4 different fruits with spinach kale and arugulal

56. Kathryn says:

Do I need to pick the stems off the spinach?

57. Aleia says:

Hey! I’m stoked to be starting this challenge, just packing up some smoothies for the week in freezer bags now. I don’t know what to do with the oranges though, should I treat them as a liquid and add them when I blend? Or peel them and freeze them in the bag in individual wedges? Thanks!

Aleia,

Thank you so much for joining the challenge and reaching out! I think the answer to your question depends on the type of blender you have. If you have a really powerful blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix, I would freeze the oranges with your other ingredients. If you have an older model like me, my blender sometimes has trouble with all of the pulp and seeds that come with oranges, so I like to blend my oranges with my liquid base prior to adding any remaining ingredients to ensure I’m left with a smooth delicious smoothie!

Hope that helps!

58. Kathy says:

Hi! I started using green smoothies as my breakfast about 3 weeks ago after a friend turned me on to your Facebook page. I am joining in the 30 day challenge this month too – I really have noticed a difference in how much energy I have during the day!
    I travel for business and would like to freeze smoothies ahead of time and take with me on my trips. Can I freeze them in mason jars without the jars breaking?

Hi Kathy,

Smoothies can be blended and then frozen until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but after a good shake, the smoothies will still be fine to consume. I would suggest using freezer safe mason jars to ensure there’s no chance of breaking, we love using the 20oz wide mouth freezer safe jars!

59. Joyful says:

Hi all,
    So happy to be a part of this challenge. Thanks to Jadeh & Jen and all the Rawkstar folks who help with the questions. Starting this challenge with a dear friend and coworker of mine and couldn’t be more excited!!!
    But we do have a Sceptic in our office who told us that blending fruits and veggies takes away alot of the nutrients, well honestly that makes NO sense to me but I just felt I need to ask? (sorry if it sounds stupid but….. Thanks in advance 🙂

Hi Joyful,

We love blendin’ with our friends and co-workers and are so excited that you will be joining us for the April 30-day challenge! Blending is a great way to give your body incredible nutrients.

I believe that Dr. Mercola says that people shouldn’t blend because all the nutrients are lost within 15 seconds, or something like that. We do believe that nutrients begin to “go away” and oxalate, but we don’t believe this happens in 15 seconds. Our stance is that green smoothies stay good for you for up to two days, as long as they are in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

60. Candace says:

Sorry don’t know if I overlooked the answer but what size mason jar do you recommend? Thank you

Hi Candace,

The 20oz wide mouth freezer safe mason jars are perfect for prepping! Cheers 🙂

61. Shaniqua says:

Hey guys. Just finished reading everyone’s comments. Thanks to all, they were very helpful. I’m a nurse, I travel, and have 2 jobs so finding out I can freeze my ingredients in advance was Awesome! I am so excited, I can’t wait to start. Only question is can I add flaxseed or Chia seeds to my smoothies?

62. Tracey says:

I am SO excited to start this challenge! I’ve been making these smoothies for about a week now. I’m replacing one meal with them. Im already feeling better and less bloated. This is the motivation that I need. Thanks!!

63. april says:

I will be starting the green smoothie challenge and I’m very excited about it. I went out and bought all the ingredients needed yesterday and will prep tonight/tomorrow. i will let you all know how things go once i start.

Hi April,

We are so excited to have you blendin’ with us, and can’t wait to share some amazing recipes throughout the April challenge! Let us know if you have any questions along the way.

64. laliya says:

Hiya! Shopping is done for me but I have a question. Is the challenge about drink in the smoothies that whole 30 days challenge? What do you suggest we should et for lunch and Dinner. Thanks

Hi Laliya,

This is not a fast or a restrictive diet, so you can eat regular meals during this challenge. We are making healthy lifestyle changes that will last a lifetime! Our goal for your is to drink at least one 2-cup serving green smoothie a day in addition to your regular diet. If you would like, you can replace 1 or 2 meals with green smoothies. If you drink green smoothies as meal replacements, make sure to add a protein boost (plant-based protein powder, nut milk, nut butter), or snack on some nuts or a hard-boiled egg 30-60 minutes after you drink your green smoothie.

Just by drinking green smoothies daily without even changing your regular diet, you are moving in the right direction towards healthy eating. We are not meal plan experts, but we suggest you eat real food that’s free of processed sugar and avoid ingredients that you can’t pronounce. My personal meal plan during the green smoothie diet will be paleo-inspired with lots of veggies and some seafood.

65. Cyndi says:

Hi, I have a question about using regular mouth quart jars. Can I just screw that straight onto my blender to make the smoothies? I’ve seen it done for other drinks. Just curious if you’ve tried that and had success with it.

Hey Cyndi,

Thanks for the question. Some blenders have that ability, but others don’t . Which model do you have?

• Cyndi says:

I have a Hamilton Beach. The regular mouth jars have the same thread spacing as the blender’s jar, so you can just screw the blender collar (with blade assembly) onto the canning jar instead of the blender jar. I’ve seen it for things like margaritas. Just curious if you’d tried it with the smoothies…

66. Ashley says:

how many ounces should the canning jars be

67. Jay says:

I was excited to read all these tips as it was a hassle trying to prep everyday! I decided to challenge myself to ‘green it up’ for 60 days, so I started this challenge when I first found this ahhmazing site; have been blending since March 2 so I am used to having my greens twice a day since then. My skin reflects the difference!! Thank you Jen and Jadah for creating this site, and to all the others for your comments! Makes it a lot easier knowing there are REAL people out there on the mission with you

68. Brenda says:

Can you use frozen spinach instead of fresh when making these up ahead of time???

Hi Brenda,

We always believe fresh is best, and have heard that using frozen spinach from the grocery aisle doesn’t always result in the best tasting smoothie. Here is our favorite way to freeze leafy greens to help prevent waste and help out wallets!

You just need to rinse them, pat them dry, and place them in an air tight bag in the freezer. This will keep your leafy greens fresh for months!

• robyn says:

I buy fresh kale, spinach etc and freeze. I put in blender frozen. I only let my fruit sit out for a little while and thaw. Works and tastes great!
      New to smoothies, ready snd prepped for April challenge

69. Barb says:

I did this for the first time. I did not add any liquid. Just checking if I am reading directions correctly. I used mason jars.

70. Lindsay says:

I just love the freaking kale out of you guys!!!! I have unsubscribed from SO many sites because they never stay intouch like they say they will. I have never personaly left a comment or emailed you guys, maybe its all the fruits making me that annoying happy morning person haha, but reading everyone’s comments and feedback and your guys response is so awesome!! So just thanks for all the help and motivation you give me.

Lindsay,

KALE YEAH! Thank you so much for your sweet note, we are so happy to have you blendin’ with us! And we’re very excited that all of the good fruits + greens you’re getting made you happy enough to message us this morning! Keep the messages up, we love hearing from you! Cheers 🙂

71. Melissa says:

I started freezing everything this week and it’s been less than desirable. I was told to let my bag sit in the fridge over night to blast in the morning. Just hasn’t been as good as blasting fresh but I’d love to prep better. Any suggestions? Something I might be doing wrong? I measure everything out and then put it in a ziploc bag, let out as much air as possible then freeze. Thanks for the help if you can. Can’t wait for the start of the challenge.

Hi Melissa,

You only need to thaw in the fridge overnight if you’re pre-blending your smoothies. Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly. Before blending, thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water, just to allow the greens and fruits to come out of the jar/bag easier.

Please let us know if this helps your results! Cheers!

• Melissa says:

Thank you! I’m going to try blending the smoothies and freezing them in advance. I only prep five at a time so hopefully it’ll work! Thanks for the advice and can’t wait for the challenge to start!

Happy to help. 🙂

72. Gail says:

You can also blend the spinach with water to a smooth consistency and place in muffin tins (sprayed to keep from sticking) and freeze and then place the little pucks in a baggie. I put one in the blender and let it sit a little bit to thaw then add water and blend and then add the fruit. I use frozen fruit that I let thaw in the fridge overnight so my smoothie isn’t as thick.

73. tiana says:

Can I buy frozen fruit or does it have to be fresh? Does frozen fruit have more sugars and bad stuff in them?

Hi Tiana,

Of course you can add frozen fruit! Personally, we like to use at least one frozen fruit to keep our smoothies cold. If you like a chilled green smoothie too, but are using purely fresh ingredients, you could always add 6-8 ice cubes in your blender.

74. laliya says:

Hiya, Thank you for the tip! Cant wait to get started!

75. Lana says:

I did not know the glass mason jars could be frozen. So glad to find that out. And that the greens could be too and last that long. I’ve thrown out sooo much spoiled produce. Thanks.

Hi Lana,

We hope that prepping and freezing will help you prevent any spoiled produce + be easier on the wallet. Just make sure your mason jars are freezer safe!

76. Lauren says:

Is freezing spinach okay to do? Doing that seems weird.

Hi Lauren,

Freezing leafy greens is a great way to keep them from going bad! If you’re just freezing leafy greens and not prepping a smoothie, we suggest you rinse them, pat them dry, and place them in an air tight bag in the freezer. This will keep your leafy greens fresh for months, and your wallet happy!

77. Elizabeth says:

I’ve heard that preparing them too much in advance of consuming them lowers the nutrient content. Is this not the case if you’re freezing everything? Thanks!

Hi Elizabeth,

Freezing the smoothie ingredients will help preserve the fruit, veggies, + leafy greens until you’re ready to blend, as well as, keep them at their peak nutrition level! 🙂

78. Michael says:

This is an amazing idea. I can’t wait to get this done for next week. I started making baggies of my greens and freezing them. I just grab a bag of my mixed greens from the freezer (spinach, beet tops and kale) and this has stopped any wasted greens ever again. I only have to buy greens twice a month now.

Hi Michael,

We’re so happy to hear how freezing your greens has helped your green smoothies and prevent waste!

79. Deb says:

Hi. What are your thoughts on using a food saver (the vacuum sealer kind) to freeze smoothie ingredients?

Hi Deb,

While I haven’t used a food saver before, I think it would be a great way to help freeze your smoothie ingredients! Please let us know how it works for you! Cheers 🙂

80. Eleonora says:

Hi.;-) which is the best way to prep spinach to freeze? Thanks

Hey Eleonora,

Thanks for reaching out. We love to make sure our greens are washed, then we toss them in with all of our other fruits, right into our storage container for freezing. 🙂

81. Tinkerbexx says:

Does freezing affect the nutritional qualities? I read once that the earlier you freeze fruit/veg the better because it starts losing goodness the second it’s picked? In which case freezing could actually be better 🙂

Hi Tinkerbexx,

Just how growers freeze fruit and vegetables to keep them at their peak of ripeness, freezing helps keep the nutritional benefits of the smoothies.

82. Briget says:

Hello there,

I’m allergic to berries, oranges and nuts. I’m finding it hard to make a variety of the recipes. The ones that call for these items just doesn’t taste the same. Any additional recipes you can add without these is appreciated.

Hey Briget,

Thanks for the comment. Our recipes are here to inspire you — you don’t have to follow them to a T. Yet we do think they are mighty tasty! Feel free to use other green smoothie recipes and even make some up yourself. The key to making green smoothies your lifestyle is making it easy and part of your daily routine. So we recommend using fruits and veggies that are easy for you to find and are affordable. https://simplegreensmoothies.com/recipes

83. Vanessa Ramos says:

i am exclusively breastfeeding my baby but wants to shed off excess weight. whats the best smoothie recipe for a newbie like me?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey! Thanks for joining us. 🙂 Every mom and baby’s nursing experience is different. We would suggest starting slow, 8oz as a snack to get you and your baby use to the fiber. Any recipe would be great to start with. 🙂

84. helen bland says:

I would like to know what size mason jars do I use.

85. cathy says:

I am new to smoothies too and I love them. I am in my 70’s trying to drop a few pounds along with eating healthy. I purchase the large bag of spinach and wash the entire bag, dry it and place all of it in the freezer. I put 1 1/2 cups of Almond milk in the blender add two good handfuls of spinach, 1 Tbsp of peanut butter, and whatever fruit I have. Really good. I cut up all kinds of fruit and freeze in a zip lock bag. This makes 2 smoothies that are really good. I don’t always use a whole banana because of the calories, but I do add plenty of other fruit. This is really a journey.

86. Niki Chennell says:

I’m glad I read this. I’ve been making smoothies for my husband and myself everyday and the prep and clean up is such a mess. I’m glad I can now prep in one day instead of making the mess each time. Especially since my son and daughter now want smoothies (ages 6 and 3)
    I do have a question a little off topic. Do you recommend drinking a smoothie before a workout or after? I usually wake up get the kids ready for school and drink a smoothie while I’m driving. However I want to start working out before they wake up. Sorry for the essay. Any suggestions?

87. Colleen says:

Stripping kale off of the stem, washing, spinning, placing in freezer bags; same with spinach, washing, spinning and freezing. Makes it easy to take out and break off for smoothies. I add 2 cups almond milk, 2 cups water, banana, green apple (unpeeled), 2 c kale, spinach, cinnamon, avocado, 6 chunks of pineapple, 2 to 4 tbsp flax seed (opt)…. Yum….

88. Deana says:

I’ve done this with salads, but it never occurred to me to do this for smoothies – brilliant! Mornings will be so much faster now. Thank you!!!!!

89. Jennifer says:

Do you need to add lemon to the cut up fruit to prevent it from turning brown? And for those that make the actual smoothie ahead of time, it seems there are 2 options for storage. Freezer safe mason jars and plastic bags. How exactly do you store the liquid in the plastic storage bags?
    Thanks! Excited to start this prep!

Hi Jennifer.

Thanks for the comment. I don’t squeeze lemon in mine, but feel free if you would enjoy that. Don’t freeze the liquid, add the liquid fresh the day of blending. 🙂

• Christine says:

I froze mine like this and when I blended it with almond milk it came out like ice cream. It really didn’t blend smoothly. What did I do wrong?

90. Sheryl says:

Are all mason/ball jars okay to use for freezing or are there special ones to buy? I have tons of jars left over from canning- can I use those?

• wlmorin says:

I haven’t been able to locate any quart jars that are labeled as freezer safe. Plenty of pint size mason jars labeled as freezer safe though. What size jars are you using to prep your smoothies in the freezer?

Hey Sheryl.

Thanks for the comment. Do they say freezer safe in the glass? Only use the freezer safe mason jar, you don’t want a broken mess in your freezer. 🙂

91. Jackie says:

Seems to me that the fresher the ingredients the more nutritious the smoothie. I think that freezing destroys some of the nutrients. Fresh is best.

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

🙂 We enjoy both, Fresh + Frozen. 🙂 Fresh is best, but frozen is a close second. 🙂

92. Amelia says:

When using mason jars is just twisting the lid on good or does it have to actually be sealed ? I’m asking for after the blending I’ve been just twisting but sometimes it’s bitter tasting so I’ve been blending lemon in the smoothies sometimes it helps and other times not. I actually don’t know how to seal them. Thanks so much and appreciate these challenges and has helped my liver greatly.

Hey Amelia.

Yes, sealing the jar with a little lemon is a great idea. Keeping it fresh. 🙂

93. kit taplin says:

When I try to blend 2 cups of frozen spinach mix (from Costco) with 2 cups of soy milk, the spinach freezes my mixture and turns it into a slushie that doesn’t blend well (it sticks to the sides of the blender).

I have a ninja 1500w blender, and use the pitcher attachment.

What are my other options?

Also thank you so much, the first thing I saw online about green smoothies was your 60/40 ratio advice, and it truly is the key.

Hey Kit.

Try using more liquid, or fresh leafy greens. It might be too cold, too fast and having a hard time blending.

94. Natti says:

I usually prep in advance using zip lock bags but sometimes if I’m running late I can’t blend then up. Is ok to blend my smoothies maybe 3 days at a time n then freeze them? That would be ideal to just grab n go.

95. Barbara says:

The bags with spinach are so big I wanted to freeze it, but I read that freezing raw spinach is not ok (Thats on dutch websites) what do you say about it? In your article you say to freeze it all together, ahead, and use in within 2-4 weeks.

96. Tia says:

Hi!! I just found this website and I’m obsessed!! I do have a question though..I had the idea of possibly blending all my greens and fruits together and putting the smoothie in freezer bags for meal prepping. That way I don’t even have to worry about blending them in the morning. In my ideal world I could do this weekly?? Is this a possible idea? Thanks! 🙂

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

This is such a great idea, Tia. And Yes! It’s totally possible. And we do this all the time. 🙂

97. Madeline S. says:

I too am curious on the order in the mason jars. I know that for salad mason jars it’s recommended that the dressing is placed first. I noticed in the pictures that the bananas are in the middle and the greens are on top, is there a reason?

Hey Madeline.

Yes. From trial and error. If the leafy greens are on bottom they get stuck. If you put the fruit on the bottom, it helps push the greens out. 🙂

98. Diana Shirley says:

I blend my greens with just enough water to liquify and then pour into ice cube trays and freeze, I add 2-3 cubes of greens to my smoothies.

99. Sharon says:

Can anyone tell me roughly how many calories a smoothie is, generally made with water and a banana? Thanks

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Sharon. Have you tried MyFitnessPal app? That’s the one I have used for years and enjoy it.

100. MissChievousRN says:

Just bought my husband a Tribest Mason Jar Personal Blender PB-350 for Christmas
    Now I can prep and freezer in mason jars and he can pick one, blend, and go!! And it’s a one jar clean up too!

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Woohoo MissChievousRN!! That’s awesome and what a great Christmas present! 🙂

1 2 3 4
popular recipes

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE
DIY FREEZER SMOOTHIE PREP ON A BUDGET

7 DIY NATURAL REMEDIES
get my go-to

Our go-to natural remedies to boost your immune system, crush your next cold and help ease congestion quickly.

IT'S FO'