Smoothie bowls are a great way to nourish and hydrate your body quickly. There’s no denying it: the days are longer and hotter— and I’m enjoying as much time outdoors as I can. Yet I also crave cold, sweet treats! Today, I’m going to show you how to make a smoothie bowl that is thick, creamy and simple to make over and over.
The Perfect Ingredients
The key to making an amazing smoothie bowl is getting it thick. To do that, you need to use frozen fruit and have a strong enough blender that allows you to push down the ingredients (aka: a tamper).
For this smoothie bowl recipe, we’re using:
- frozen pineapple chunks: provides natural sweetness
- frozen mango chunks: helps make it thick and creamy
- coconut water: hydrating plus just enough liquid to blend
How to get the perfect blend
- Once you add all the ingredients to the blend, turn on high speed to start the blending process.
- Once the ingredients stop moving on their own, use the tamper through the top to push down the fruit to engage the blade again. If you don’t have a tamper, stop the machine and use a spoon to push the fruit back towards the blade and blend again. Be patient— this can take a few minutes to get everything blended.
- Once blended, scrape into bowls. Now, the fun part: adding the toppings.
Best toppings for a smoothie bowl
You can pretty much add anything to a smoothie bowl, but some of my favorite toppings are a combination of protein, healthy fats and juicy fruit.
- Protein: granola, sliced almonds, hemp hearts, chia seeds
- Healthy fats: almond butter, shredded coconut
- Juicy fruits: kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, pineapple
- Extras: cacao, bananas, cinnamon, goji berries
Now, that you’ve learned how to make a smoothie bowl, I hope you actually do it. This smoothie bowl is essentially a naturally sweetened sorbet made from frozen pineapple and mango chunks. It’s topped with dried fruit, fresh berries and coconut. When said like that, it sound pretty easy to make (and even tastier to eat!) Bon appetit!
3 Smoothie Bowl RecipesPrint
Follow this step be step demo to make a smoothie bowl using plant-based ingredients. It’s a great way to nourish and hydrate on a hot summer day.
Smoothie Bowl Base
- 2 cups pineapple chunks, frozen
- 2 cups mango chunks, frozen
- 1 cup coconut water
- fresh fruit
- shredded coconut
- dried fruit
- Place frozen fruit into a blender or food processor. Pulse to chop the fruit, then add the coconut water. Keep pulsing until the fruit is further chopped, then becomes a thick puree. (Note: this works best in a food processor. If you’re using a blender, you may need to add more liquid or let the fruit thaw slightly so it blends more easily.)
- Divide the smoothie between two bowls.
- Add desired toppings.
- Serve immediately (it’ll melt fast!)
- Allow fruit to thaw slightly for easier blending; reduce the amount of coconut water for a thicker smoothie.
- Swap the pineapple and/or coconut for other frozen fruit. A banana will help make the smoothie extra creamy.
Keywords: smoothie bowl, pineapple smoothie, mango smoothie
By: Jen Hansard | Updated: 7.19.2020 | COMMENTS: 12