Oh, Thai Lettuce Wraps, one of the meals I missed the most when I became a vegetarian. My fav were from a Chinese restaurant chain— and they were chicken-based. You know which one I’m talking about, right? Those yummy thai lettuce wraps were part of my inspiration for this dish. Even though I’m no longer a strict vegetarian, I’d still choose this recipe any day over my “old fav.”
You can find this and 100+ more plant-powered recipes in my new book Simple Green Meals.
Do you have a favorite food that you miss and wish you could find a healthy alternative? Mine has always been thai lettuce wraps! I’m happy to report that after some recipe testing, I’ve #nailedit! You def need to give these a try. Don’t let the hearty ingredient list scare you… they’re a breeze to whip up and filled with vitamins and nutrients. Instead of the traditional meat base, we’ve created a hearty and savory plant-powered version using mushrooms and an assortment of vegetables.
Fun ideas to serve up Thai Lettuce Wraps for your crew
- Set aside one night of the week for “Fake Out Take Out” night. Your family will love the fun theme and you’ll love the healthy spin on a laid-back dinner.
- Host an Asian themed dinner party. Invite some friends over and make a big batch of thai lettuce wraps for the appetizer. If you really want to make it feel authentic, spread a blanket out and have everyone eat on the floor.
- Plan a girls night in and serve these up to your best gals! Give my new book, Simple Green Meals, to them all as gifts so they can make this recipe and more in their own kitchen!
Looks good. Am I Right? Print this recipe and make it for your tribe asap! They will be talking about these thai lettuce wraps for days!Print
When I became a vegetarian at 16 years old, one of the meals I missed the most was the chicken lettuce wraps from my fav Chinese restaurant. Then a vegetarian version came out on the market, and I was rejoicing—that is, until I learned that version contains gluten, which just seems strange. This recipe is inspired by those, yet this dish adds a lot more nourishment and flavors to make me one happy gluten-free vegetarian.
2 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
1 rib celery, thinly sliced
1⁄4 cup minced shallots
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces baby bella or white button mushrooms, finely chopped
2 heaping cups walnuts, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons tamari
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Pinch of crushed red-pepper flakes
For serving :
12 leaves butter lettuce
1 cup shredded carrots
1⁄2 cup raw cashews, chopped
1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Warm a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the celery and shallots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release their liquid and it evaporates, and the mushrooms start to brown nicely. Add the walnuts and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to toast them.
- Stir in the lime juice, tamari, coconut sugar, and rice vinegar. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the mint, cilantro, and red-pepper flakes. Taste and add more tamari, if desired, for more saltiness. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- To serve, spoon some of the vegetables into the lettuce leaves. Top with a sprinkling of carrots, cashews, cilantro, and scallions and add a squeeze of lime. Serve warm.
GLUTEN FREE, NUT FREE (remove walnuts and double mushrooms, remove cashews), VEGAN, DAIRY FREE
Keywords: thai recipe, lettuce wraps, vegan asian
Get my Best-Selling Recipe Book
I just got wind that Simple Green Meals has dropped from $24.99 to $16.37. Don’t miss out on the savings and order now on Amazon! Maybe even order a couple as Christmas gifts (that’s what I’m doing!) Once you place your order, make sure to grab your complimentary bonus recipes and meal planning templates as a special thank you.