Over the last few years, many studies have shown that inflammation contributes to a number of health conditions and symptoms. Things like skin rashes, digestive troubles, headaches and migraines, brain fog, fatigue, and more can often be attributed to inflammation. So I took foods that I know help with these symptoms and blended them up into an anti inflammatory smoothie recipe that legit works.
Foods that cause inflammation
The foods that cause inflammation won’t surprise you. Red meat, processed and preserved meats and sausage, dairy, gluten and white flours/starches, refined sugar, and preservatives top the list. A diet rich in these potent foods will most likely cause you to feel cruddy anyway. If you’re susceptible to inflammation, these things can make symptoms even worse.
What can you do? Consuming a diet that is full of foods that fight inflammation is a great place to start.
Focus on whole foods that are very similar to a Mediterranean diet, making it super doable for most people in the western world. Heck, I can get all of these foods at my local grocery store! It’s hard to make excuses when it’s accessible, right? Here’s the list to focus on:
- olive oil
- leafy greens + cruciferous veggies
- fruit, berries + other low glycemic fruits
- citrus – lemons and oranges
- fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids – salmon, sardines, mackerel
Certain seeds also have inflammation fighting properties – like chia, hemp and flax seed. The good news is, you can find them all right in my Protein Smoothie Boost, plus 10g of protein! Try the anti inflammatory smoothie below with our without Protein Smoothie Boost and soothe your body from the inside out.
Outside of smoothies, there are lots of great and simple tonics with ingredients like ginger and turmeric that can help soothe the body.
For sure! Bananas are rich in antioxidants and fiber, making them a great addition to your anti inflammatory diet.
A green smoothie with plant based protein is a great way to start the day. Fight inflammation before it creeps up by consuming fruits + veggies like leafy greens and berries first thing in the morning.
Anti inflammatory Recipes
Here are a few of my fav recipes to help fight inflammation. Add these to your meal roster over the next few weeks, then let me know how you feel!
- Roasted veggie Mediterranean bowl
- Golden milk
- Citrus cilantro smoothie
- Carrot ginger soup
- Turmeric smoothie cubes
- Lime popsicles
- Lemon smoothie
- Avocado caprese salad
- Soothing PCOS smoothie
- Pineapple ginger smoothie
If these recipes are right up your alley, then sign up for my newsletter to get plant based recipes just like these delivered to your inbox. Don’t forget to give the anti inflammatory smoothie below a blend and let me know how you liked it!
Anti Inflammatory Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh kale
- 1/2 beet - peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 orange - peeled
- 1 cup mixed berries - frozen
- 1/2 cup pineapple - frozen
- 1 tsp ginger root - grated or chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 serving Protein Smoothie Boost - optional
- Place baby kale, beet, water, and orange into a blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Blend again until smooth.
- Carrots can be substituted for the beets.
- Mango can be substituted for the pineapple.
- Baby kale or spinach can be used to make the smoothie less bitter.