Berries are one of my very favorite smoothie additions. They are loaded up with antioxidants, phytonutrients like anthrocyanins, fiber, and are low in sugar. This spinach berry smoothie combines the bets of both worlds to give you a tasty and healthy smoothie you can make in just minutes.
Why Are Berries So Healthy Anyway?
All berries are packed with antioxidants that help fight inflammation, including huge amounts of vitamin C – way more than you’ll get in an orange.
Berries are very high in fiber, as I already mentioned. It’s important to get adequate fiber each day to keep your digestive system in tip-top shape, which in turn will help the rest of your body function properly as well.
Blood sugar and insulin levels may improve when berries are consumed on a regular basis.
Heart health can also be positively affected by eating berries because they may help lower cholesterol levels.
If you’re interested in boosting your protein and the cream factor, you can swap the water for almond milk.
Is It Healthy To Eat Berries Everyday?
Yes! Eat berries as often as you are able to take advantage of the amazing health benefits. Not to mention they taste delicious.
Here are some other ways to eat berries beyond blending them into a smoothie:
- Top oatmeal, yogurt, toast, pancakes, and waffles with a giant handful of berries to add natural sweetness and beautiful color to your breakfast!
- Add a serving of berries to a green salad
- Pair a serving of berries with a serving of nuts for a nutrition-packed snack.
- Think outside the box: add berries to homemade pizza or sandwiches, make homemade chia seed and berry jam or sauce, make fruit kabobs to go with dinner, etc.
Can a Spinach Berry Smoothie Help You Lose Weight?
Berries, especially blueberries, may help the body regulating burning fat and fat storage. This in turn may help reduce cholesterol levels and abdominal fat.
The best advice for weight loss is to eat a variety of healthy foods, mostly plants (Hi, Michael Pollan!), paying attention to your hunger cues, drink plenty of water, get enough sleep, and move your body in a way that feels good.
Looking for more recipes featuring berries? Look no further than our Rawk the Year Meal Planner, where we have 70+ recipes with these rawkstar fruits!
Blend It Up Like a Pro
Are you wondering if you can blend up green smoothies with berries just like the pros do in those fancy smoothie shops? You can! My secret weapon is my favorite professional-grade blender from Vitamix. And right now, you can get the same blender I use at home for an amazing discounted price. When you add the blender to your cart, you’ll see you get it for under $300 and shipping is FREE!
Spinach Berry Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mixed berries - frozen
- 1 banana
- 1 serving Protein Smoothie Boost - optional
- Place spinach and water in blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add fruit and blend again.
- Use frozen fruit to make smoothie cold.
- Free free to swap the banana with 1/2 avocado if you want to cut the fruit sugars even more.