I'm trading in the processed sugar and dairy in the traditional Orange Julius for a smoothie version sweetened with fruit. It's honestly still a super sweet treat, yet my healthy Orange Julius smoothie fuels my body the right way.
Raise your hand if you remember walking by the shopping mall food court and seeing people lined up at Orange Julius? And who remembers recreating the creamy orange smoothie in 7th grade Home Ec?
How to Make a Healthy Orange Julius
I can't wait for you to try this sweet treat! It definitely hits the spot for my sweet tooth and has no weird ingredients.
- Blend spinach, oranges and almond milk until smooth (I'm talking no leafy chunks floating around).
- Add the banana and blend again until smooth. It helps to use frozen banana to get a chilled smoothie.
- Add in ½ teaspoon of vanilla to make this taste even more like a traditional Orange Julius.
My healthy smoothie version is loaded with goodness and doesn't mess around with the sweet factor either. No fake sweeteners are needed! Just make sure you use a ripe banana.
We all know oranges = vitamin C (80% of the recommended daily intake), but did you know that oranges are also full of fiber? Your digestive system will thank you for eating more oranges.
Tips for a Great Smoothie
If the sugar is a little much for you (even though it's 100% natural!), swap half of the banana for a quarter of an avocado. You'll still get the dream cream texture, but not as much sugar in this healthy Orange Julius smoothie.
When blending this orange smoothie, blend it twice to help your blender chop up the spinach as much as possible.
Adding ice cubes to the glass when you pour out the smoothie will cool down the beverage if using all fresh ingredients.
Orange Julius Smoothie FAQs
The original Orange Julius consists of orange juice concentrate, milk, vanilla, sugar and ice. While it is sweeter than my version, I bet mine still tastes deliciously orange-y! My smoothie contains spinach, oranges, almond milk and banana.
It depends! Spinach is typically mild, and the orange and banana in this Orange Julius smoothie are definitely the dominant flavors. You might still get a slightly earthy taste if you've got a sensitive palate.
They can be! Make sure yours are loaded with only whole food ingredients (no added sweeteners). Use unsweetened, plant-based milk or water for the base. Boost your smoothies with protein and healthy fats to help your body break down the natural sugars.
When is the perfect time to drink a smoothie?
- For breakfast or even on the go with a Mason jar, cute lid and straw.
- As a nutrition-packed snack that helps you step away from the vending machine!
- Before or after a workout to add that protein after and MCT oil before to fuel your body during your workout.
Anytime you need a refreshing, fruity drink loaded with fiber, vitamins and minerals, consider blending up a smoothie. It's the healthiest fast food out there and can provide energy, fuel and promote health. Some smoothies like the Orange Julius smoothie recipe contain more natural sugar. Boost these smoothies with a plant-based protein powder to help your body process the sugar.
Orange Smoothie Recipes
Don't forget to leave a comment and review after blending the Orange Julius smoothie below. I'd love to know how yours turned out!
Orange Julius SmoothieRate this Recipe Print Recipe
- Place spinach, oranges and almond milk in blender. Puree until smooth.
- Add banana and blend again.
- Use at least one frozen fruit to make the smoothie cold or serve over ice.
- Another non-dairy milk can be substituted for the almond milk, such as hemp, cashew or coconut milk.
- Swap ½ banana with ¼ an avocado to lower the natural sugar.
- Add ½ teaspoon vanilla to make this even more reminiscent of the original Orange Julius.
A Daily Green Smoothie
This smoothie recipe is from my free Smoothie Challenge. If you loved the taste of the Orange Julius smoothie, then this challenge is for you! Sign up for the challenge, grab your blender, and get ready for a great new healthy habit.
Drink your smoothie as a quick breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up; they are great any time of day!