frozen smoothie packs

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

4.1.2014

Jump to Recipe Plant-Based Diet • How to • Make Ahead Smoothie Prep Are you ready to RAWK your smoothie world? With my simple smoothie prep guide, you’ll be saving time and money with just a little bit of work. The next healthy habit to embrace on your road to health and happiness is making […]

Share the recipe

The next healthy habit to embrace on your road to health and happiness is making your daily smoothies ahead of time. Prepping your smoothies shaves off precious extra minutes in your morning routine, plus it puts the kibosh on any other excuses that stand in the way of you sipping on some healthy green goodness.

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”  ― Benjamin Franklin

Can I get an amen on Franklin’s words of wisdom for us all?

Make ahead smoothies really save me precious time in the morning. I love not having to think about cutting up fruit, measuring anything or accidentally running out of smoothie ingredients. (because we know that happens to all of us!)

Smoothie ingredients used to prep ahead

3 Smoothie Prep Benefits

1. Enjoyable time in the kitchen: I actually enjoy spending a few minutes on Sundays prepping smoothies for the week (or month!). I crank up Alexa and turn my kitchen into a cooking show… yet there’s no meal to put on the table or pots and pans to clean!
  2. Sets the foundation for healthier habits. According to a recent study, “Spending less than one hour a day preparing food at home is associated with eating more fast food and spending more money eating out.”
  3. It’s the easiest way to prep ahead for the week. Now, I know it can be hard to meal plan each week, but smoothie prep is such a simple task…AND it creates big results. I hope you give it a shot with my step by step tutorial…
How to prep ahead smoothies for the week with bags or jars
Smoothie ingredients all laid out to prep for the week

In addition to prepping your smoothies, you can also freeze them blended. Yep! You can actually blend your smoothies and freeze them until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but the smoothies will still be fine to consume.

Make Ahead Smoothies in freezer with bags stacked nicely
clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon print print icon squares squares icon
frozen smoothie packs

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 7 smoothies
  • Category: smoothies
  • Method: blending
  • Cuisine: american
  • Diet: Vegan

Make smoothies in half the time with our make ahead smoothie prep guide. You can use this process to prep for a day, a week or even a month– depending on how much space you have in your freezer!

• measuring cups
  • quart bags or canning jars (regular or wide-mouth)
  • permanent marker
  • your fav fruit and leafy greens
  • Daily Blends smoothie recipe app

1. Decide which recipes you’ll make for the week and have the recipe on hand. Feel free to use our Smoothie library for inspiration.
  2. Slice or cut fruit into chunks.  You can also cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily.

3. Label bag and jar lids with recipe name and date. Be specific. You might also want to include how much of which liquid gets blended with each smoothie pack (to have when you’re ready to blend).
  4. Measure out the ingredients and pack into jars or bags.
  5. Remove as much air as possible from bags and jars when sealing closed. Pack fruit and leafy greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids.
  6. Place in freezer. Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly.
  7. When ready to use, remove from freezer. Add liquid base to container or bag (which helps defrost the fruit slightly). You can also thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.
  8. Pour into blender and blend until smooth.

• Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.
  • If hoar frost forms on the fruit and greens, it is still perfectly safe to consume. It can be rinsed off with lukewarm water.
  • Store smoothie packs away from foods with strong odors. Glass jars offer the best protection against odors.

Keywords: smoothie prep, make ahead smoothie,

COMMENTS

1. Kimone says:

Can the green smoothie help you lose weight

2. Dru says:

Are all the smoothie recipes considered raw food smoothies? Can any of the recipes be juiced as well?

3. Anna says:

Sooo excited to start the October challenge! 😀

Hope that the ingredients are not hard to find! I live in the Philippines and so we have more of the tropical fruits unlike berries, etc.

4. Kumijani says:

I have just signed up for the 30day Green smoothie challenge coming up in October of which I’m excited as this will be my first. I don’t have enough time to prep this in the morning hence I need to find out if I can replace this which my evening meal?

Hi Kumijani,

No time to prep in the morning? No worries! You can enjoy your smoothie at any time of day. Just an FYI, our recipes give you a great energy boost, similar to a cup of coffee, in case you’re planning on enjoying yours late at night.

Still want your smoothie in the morning? You can blend your smoothie the night before! Our recipes will keep in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days. Adding a little bit of lemon juice will help preserve all of their green goodness. Just give your smoothie a quick shake in the morning and enjoy.

Hope this helps! Can’t wait for October 1st! Make sure and check in with us on social media throughout the challenge!

5. Nanllel says:

Hi! I have been making green smoothies for breakfast but they don’t fill me up as much and I think it might be because I don’t add much protein or fats. I usually add one tbps of chia seeds and one or two of flax meal, and occasionally one of almond butter if I don’t do flax meal. I recently stopped adding almond butter because I was concerned it was too much fat. Is there a way to figure out how much fat and protein is recommended if we’re using the green smoothie as a meal replacement?

6. Jerri says:

I am on day 6 and loving it. At 54 I might have actually found something that works for me.
    I have diabetes and a few stents so eating healthy is something I need to learn and so far this has worked the best. I am not struggling to keep up with it. I felt so good the first time I drank it.
    My son in law and daughter got me a Ninja for Christmas and I tried other smoothies and that lasted a day or so. I could not stand the taste, but simple green is fabulous! Thank you so much.

Hi Jerri,

Welcome! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! Cheers to health, happiness + leafy greens!!

7. Thonia says:

This may sound silly but can you store prep items in a glass jar in the freezer?

Hi Thonia,

Not a silly question at all! We suggest ensuring your jars are freezer safe prior to prepping. Not sure? You can also use sandwich bags like Ziploc.

8. Bryan says:

I just found out (@ 35 years old) that you can make vegetable smoothies taste good! And now I find you have already sped up and simplified what I was going to do next…thanks for the help. Now that I can make these things taste DESIREABLE to me I can drink these in place of whole meals and never get that “still hungry” feeling!

My choice of seasoning is usually copious amounts of worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, pepper, and garlic, but I’m a guy so that’s how I season everything I eat. 😛

9. Theodora says:

Can’t wait to get started, is store bought frozen fruit okay to use?

Hi Theodora,

Of course! We actually suggest blending with at least one frozen fruit to ensure your green smoothie is chilled to perfection.

And using frozen fruit when prepping your green smoothie ensures nothing sticks together, and that it pours perfectly into your blender.

10. sara says:

Hi, i have a question can we add oatmeal to the smoothies? Also,is this a meal or you can have this with a meal… Am so excited!

11. Marlee says:

So I’m only supposed to make one serving for myself? I’ve been making the full recipe! I should probably be halving the recipe, right?

• Dawn McDaniel says:

If you make the whole recipe, divide it in half breakfast and the other one for lunch later or your breakfast for the following day.

Hi Marlee!

Totally up to you :). We consider one serving to be 2 cups or 16oz, and the majority of our recipes make between 4-5 cups. If you’re blendin’ solo, there are a couple options. You can absolutely halve the recipe if that works best for you, or you can store the second serving in an airtight container in the fridge (for up to two days) or the freezer. The second serving is great for an afternoon snack later in the day, or can be used for breakfast the following morning!

Hope that helps!

12. Debbie John says:

I want to do the 30 day challenge. During this time would I only have a smoothie in the morning or do I only have smoothies through the day?

Hi Debbie!

Thanks for reaching out! Our goal for the 30-Day Challenge is to have you drink one serving of green smoothie (2 cups or 16oz) everyday for 30 days. Some of our community members prefer to have their green smoothie for breakfast, while others have like have theirs later in the day (for lunch, an afternoon snack, or even dinner!). We are all about making this challenge work for you :).

Hope that helps! Cheers!

• Carmen Cruz says:

Hi,
        I really want to make this part of my daily routine as I try to start my new way of taking better care of myself through this challenge and working out. I have a question regarding the 30 day, can I do this program doing the smoothies for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Or is this not a good idea?

Hi Carmen,

Looking to use your green smoothie as a meal replacement? You can replace up to two meals. We do suggest adding protein + healthy fats to ensure you’re fueling your body with a complete meal. Learn more about our favorite meal replacement booster combos here…

13. Maryann says:

This will be a new adventure for me – making things ahead. It will take some discipline for sure!

Hi Maryann!

Thanks for reaching out! So happy to have you join us :). It does take some discipline while you’re getting into the habit of prepping your smoothies ahead of time, but once you get into the swing of things, it’s easy peasy!

Cheers + Happy Blendin’!

14. Sarah Myers says:

Hi,
    I discovered the awesomeness of jicama. It has a high fiber content and a mild and slightly sweet taste. I peel and cut the whole thing into chunks, then freeze it in 1/2 cup servings. It blends well frozen.

I also use it to dip in guacamole instead chips.

Hi Sarah!

Thanks for reaching out + for sharing! I’m a huge fan of jicama, as well :). I haven’t tried it in smoothies before, so I’ll have to give that a whirl! Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers :).

• Susan says:

I also recently rediscovered jicama – it is so juicy and delicious with dips and in smoothies! It also gives the smoothie a bit of substance.

• Dawn McDaniel says:

To use jicama and chips do you bake it or eat it raw?

15. Fatima says:

Hi, prepping ahead of time would be so handy for me as a busy mum of three! Can you tell me exactly what glass jar you use? Is it a Kilner jar or does it not matter? Thanks!

Hi Fatima!

Thanks for reaching out! We personally love Ball Mason Jars, but feel free to use any fridge/freezer safe glass jar with an airtight lid :).

16. Cheryl Tackson says:

Please email all information to my new email
    [email protected]
    I no longer work for the company and will not receive any emails at the previous email

Thanks
    Cheryl Jackson

Hi Cheryl!

Thanks for letting us know! If you could send us a message at simplegreensmoothies.com/contact that includes your old email address, as well, we’ll be sure to make the switch!

Thanks for being a part of our community :).

17. Heather says:

I see above you have blended smoothies in advance and have frozen them, when you take them out have the ingredients separated or are they ready to thaw (to a drinking consistency) and drink?

I am going camping this weekend and want to prepare the best I can for my smoothies since a blender is not easy to bring.

Hi Heather!

Thanks for reaching out! Some separation will occur, but not to worry! Just give your smoothie a good shake before consuming :). Adding a little lemon juice to preserve flavor is also helpful, and make sure your smoothie is in an airtight container.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your camping trip!

18. Mary says:

This is a brilliant idea!

Norman Walker, an old time authority on nutrition, said that freezing would not hurt the nutritional value. The reason it does, in these modern days, is because they flash heat the produce. SO they are essentially dead.

I cant wait to get started on this. I would never have thought of it. Also, I am a breakfast skipper. I love this idea. THANKS!!!

Hi Mary!

Thanks so much for your kind words. If mornings are busy for you, this is such a great time saver! Can’t wait to hear what you think!

Cheers + Happy Blendin’!

19. Donna says:

So once frozen do you just grab out each morning and blend while frozen? Or let thaw out first? Also do you just add the liquid when ready to bend? Thanks.

Hi Donna!

Totally up to you :). I personally like to blend mine frozen, and add the liquid when I’m ready to blend. However, if you’re not working with a high-speed blender, you may find that thawing your ingredients for a little while (not completely!) will yield better results! It may take a little trial and error to find what works best for you :).

20. Diana says:

Is it better to freeze the diced fruit and spinach, and then blend when ready to drink it or blend it and then freeze it?

The spinach doesn’t wilt and get yucky like in the fridge?

Hi Diana!

Totally up to you :). I personally like to freeze the fruit + greens to have on hand for when I have time to blend in the mornings. If my days are looking a little crazy though, I’ll blend a few smoothies in advance and pop them in the freezer.

The greens don’t wilt in the freezer :). But, once frozen, you definitely don’t want to defrost them. Then they will be yucky! Frozen greens are great for adding smoothies or soups though!

Hope that helps! Cheers :).

21. Heidi says:

This looks VERY smart indeed. But doesn’t freezing your fruits and vegs kills a lot of its goodness? I thought low temperatures would destroy unstable nutrients, and therefore you should always opt for fresh spinach rather than frozen ones.

Hi Heidi,

Great question! Freezing your fruits + leafy greens is actually like hitting the pause button, allowing both taste + nutrients to be preserved!

22. Lillian Gaudette says:

I live alone and find the 2 serving sizes too much for me. I am 61 and have several medical conditions one of which is gastroparesis (slow emptying stomach). I can only eat (drink) small amounts over the course of the day, so 1 serving is my limit. Any suggestions how to prep for smaller amounts? Also, by a cup of greens is that packed in the measuring cup or loosely measured? Love the smoothies! Just trying to adapt them to my needs. Thank you.

Hi Lillian,

Thank you so much for reaching out! Finding two servings too much? Simply halve our recipes when prepping to meet your needs. Also, our recipes will keep in your refrigerator for up to two days in an airtight container. Adding a little bit of lemon juice will help preserve all of their green goodness. So if you blend two servings, you can keep the second on hand and save yourself time the next time you’re craving a green smoothie!

When measuring our leafy greens, we suggest tightly packing them in a measuring cup. Curious to see how Jen + Jadah measure their ingredients? Check out this video of them blending here…

23. Sherry says:

Hi, I am wondering how you incorporate smoothie lifestyle with vacations like travel flying somewhere and staying in hotels?

24. Shelly says:

I have started the Thrive 7 day cleanse. According to your prep, I can make additional dressing ahead of time. Should I double or triple the recipe depending on amount of days? Thanks

Hi Shelly,

Thanks for reaching out! We’re so excited to hear you started Thrive! Cheers to a rawkin’ reset!

No need to double or triple the dressing recipes, as long as, you’re cooking for one. Each salad has their own dressing, which is easy to prep and store in small containers until you’re ready to enjoy.

25. Kim says:

How do you measure out 2 cups of spinach (or other greens) without using a scale? And how do you translate the recipe cards when it says “2 cups of fruit” if I am using frozen fruit?

Thank you!

Hi Kim,

Thanks for reaching out! Blending with frozen fruit? No worries! Frozen fruit measures the same as fresh fruit. Wondering how to measure your leafy greens? We use a dry measuring cup. Without a scale or dry measuring cup, a cup of leafy greens is equal to a very large handful.

You may also be interested in checking out our Rawkstar Conversion Guide for more measuring advice…

26. Ashley says:

I am trying to figure out the best way to take a smoothie to work for lunch. If i blend, then freeze and put in the refrigerator the night before, can I put back into the fridge until lunch? Or will it be watered down?

Hi Ashley,

Taking your green smoothie to work is super simple! Our recipes will keep in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days. Adding a small amount of lemon juice will help preserve all of their green goodness. So simply blend the night before or morning of and place your smoothie in the refrigerator once you arrive to work. Notice any separation? No worries! Our recipes are free of any yucky additives or stabilizers, so simply give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying!

Hope this helps!

27. Katy says:

Hi – I didn’t see this question in the comments, but as you’ve many a question, I may have overlooked it. 🙂
    Do you use an acid on your bananas before freezing them?

Hi Katy,

Great question! That’s completely optional. Want to help prevent browning, simply toss your banana slices in lemon juice prior to freezing. But don’t worry if you notice browning, the taste + texture will still be there!

28. NICKIA says:

Would I be able to blend the smoothies and then freeze? What should I freeze it in for a weeks worth?

Hi Nickia,

Great question! You can definitely freeze your pre-blended green smoothies. A freezer safe mason jar or freezer safe container is perfect! Simply thaw your green smoothie in the refrigerator overnight when you’re ready to enjoy. Adding a small amount of lemon juice will help preserve all of your smoothie’s green goodness! And just a FYI…separation is completely natural. So give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying.

29. Margaret O'Neill says:

What role does grapefruit seed extract play in the produce wash recipe, and is it necessary? Van I just use vinegar and water?

Hi Margaret,

Great question! We love adding grapeseed essential oil to our Homemade Produce Wash because of its antimicrobial properties, meaning it helps kill off any bacteria or yucky stuff that may be hanging out on our favorite veggies + leafy greens. Don’t have it on hand? No worries! The vinegar + lemon will still do a great job of cleansing!

30. Kate says:

If I pre-pack my smoothie bags for 5 days, will they last in the fridge or am i required to freeze them?

Hi Kate,

Great question! We suggest freezing your smoothie packs. Then simply allow them to sit on the counter for a few minutes prior to blending. This will ensure everything transfers easily into your blender!

• Marcia says:

New to trying to eat well! Going to try the challenge! I’m so excited!

Thanks for blendin’ with us, Marcia! Reach out with any questions! 🙂

31. Amy says:

Hi all,
    Thank you for providing this challenge. My husband and I have been wanting to learn how to eat healthier for a long time now.We dabble in it a little here and there but with our busy schedules it’s been very hard to stay consistent and find recipes that we really like and that aren’t too complicated. My husband has been making us green smoothies everyday since I’ve been recently diagnosed with breast cancer. Sometimes he nails it and they are perfect, other times I think he gets a little over zealous with all the ingredients are they are less palatable(he’s not a recipe follower). So we started this challenge a little late and I bought the recipe cards to help us stay on track. The pre prep instructions will be helpful as well. I’m looking forward to the next 30 days. My hubby just went out for the shopping list. Thanks again for your help to healthier eating habits.

Hi Amy,

We’re so excited to have you + your husband blending with us! We hope our recipes provide you with the right guidance to keep on blending long after our challenge ends.

We’re so sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis + sending you plenty of healing vibes and warm hugs! You may be interested in reading about another couple’s blending story. Check out Amanda and Matt’s story here…

32. AVRIL LAKE says:

So just two smoothies what else during the day?

Hi Avril,

Great question! Our #1 goal for you is to add one (16oz) green smoothie to your day in addition to your regular diet. During the 30-Day Challenge we try to eat as clean as possible with a whole food-veggie packed diet. Jen + Jadah are both pescatarians so salmon is a great addition for an added protein boost! Looking for meal inspiration? Check out our Let’s Eat Meal Plan…

Interested in using your green smoothie as a meal replacement? We suggest adding protein + healthy fats to ensure you’re fueling your body with a complete meal. Learn about our favorite meal replacement booster combos here…

33. Sharon says:

Hi Guys! I’m so happy to have started this challenge, I’m looking forward to this newfound healthier lifestyle. You guys definitely ROCK!!!!!

Hi Sharon,

YAY! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us!! Keep us updated throughout the challenge! 🙂

34. Missy says:

How many ounces is a serving? I’m doing the challenge with a friend. I’d like to buy ball jars to store the smoothies in single servings so I can take her a weeks worth of smoothies.

Hi Missy,

Great question! All of our recipes make two (16oz) green smoothie servings. A pint jar is the perfect container for storing your blended green smoothies!

35. Tricia says:

This prepping ahead really should eliminate my morning excuses!

Hi Tricia,

It’s all about making healthy living easier + removing any obstacles!

36. Dee says:

I woke up this morning decided to live life a little different , so here goes !!! I’m all in,husband was prostate cancer, I have gut issues , what can we lose, but maybe a few pounds,and some unwanted health issues!!!!

Hi Dee,

YAY! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! It’s all about taking one simple step! Keep us updated on your health + wellness journey! 🙂

37. tammy says:

I see there is no protein do we add that? Is this meal replacement

38. Amanda says:

I just signed up today for the challenge after visiting your instagram page! I am so excited and got my husband on board too…I’m purchasing the recipe cards and will be headed to the store this evening so we can get started tomorrow morning! This is right on time and I am looking forward to making this a daily habit! (^_^)

Hi Amanda,

YAY! We’re so excited to have you + your husband blendin’ with us! Please keep us updated throughout the challenge on Facebook + Instagram!

39. Joann says:

This is my second 30 day challenge. I did the January challenge and I got hooked. Yeah !!! Looking forward to this challenge.

Hi Joann,

Wohooo!! We’re so excited to have you back + blendin’ with us for our April Challenge!

40. Pavi says:

Starting the challenge!

41. Nadia says:

Hi!
    I’m from France and i’m having a hard time figuring out how much is 2 cups spinach or peaches or anything else that you guys measure in cups!!!
    Can you help me with that!!
    Thanks a lot!!

42. Suzy says:

Looking forward to starting this challenge along with a yoga every day challenge! Unfortunately I only joined today, so got my shopping list and recipes rather late (my bad 🙁 ). I’ll just make a smoothie I found on your IG page and shop tomorrow night.
    Thanks for having me along for the challenge 🙂

Hi Suzy,

That sounds like a perfect plan! Our #1 goal is for you to add one green smoothie to your day along with your normal diet, no matter the recipe! Jadah has a new yoga routine as part of her health goals! So we’ll be hitting the yoga studio as well!

43. Patricia says:

I can find peaches or mango in my area (not even frozen), what can we substitute with? Papaya? Apple?

44. Denise says:

+exited for the 30 day challenge. Have been trying the beginners luck smoothie I came across in my woman’s world magazine.

Hi Denise,

So happy to have you join us for the challenge! Beginner’s Luck will always be a SGS favorite :). Can’t wait for you try more of our recipes over the next 30 days!

45. Matt says:

Hello, hope everybody is as eager for the challenge as I am. Since I have a severe aversion to bananas, what would be a good substitute? Thanks in advance.

Hi Matt!

Thanks for reaching out. I personally like to swap out banana for avocado (for a similar creamy texture), but feel free to swap out the banana for any fruit that you love :). Mango, peaches, and nectarines are also great banana subs!

46. Tania says:

Can’t wait to start wasn’t aware that I could freeze my smoothies in such a way. I have had a problem with wanting to eat anything until 4 pm in the afternoon and I know that is not healthy so smoothies may be the way for me!

Hi Tania!

We love prepping our smoothies in advance :). It makes blendin’ on a daily basis THAT much easier!

Thanks so much for joining us for the challenge!

47. Marissa says:

Hello ladies!!! I am very excited to do my first challenge this coming April and can’t wait to see what a difference these wonderful green drinks will do for me

Hi Marissa!

Thanks so much for reaching out. We’re so happy to have you join us for the challenge! We can’t wait to hear what your favorite recipes are throughout the 30 days :).

Thanks so much for blendin’ with us!

48. Ingrid says:

I can wait for the new challenge.I am so glad I found this green smoothie challenge. It has help me so much. Thank you.

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hi Ingrid! YAY! Thanks so much for joining us for the next 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge!

49. Beverly says:

Hi so excited to do the 30 day challenge just wondering is there a meal plan for the 30 days…or how many of these smoothies can we have in a day….excited to start feeling good…

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hi Beverly! Thanks so much for reaching out to us and commenting on our website! We are so lucky to have you a part of our community! Just by drinking one green smoothie you are heading in the right direction! Here is a link to our meal plans that compliment the free 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge well! https://simplegreensmoothies.com/shop

50. Alex says:

Hi, I recently bought your book and love it! I am a HUGE smoothie fan and love trying all the recipes – I am currently trying to “drink” my way through your book. Can you tell me are the recipes in the 30 day challenge all in your book?

Hi Alex,

Thanks for reaching out + all of your support! While several of our recipes in our April 30-Day Challenge can be found in our book, you’ll also enjoy some different + new recipes!

51. Anthony says:

Hi my concern is that with smoothies if not organic veges and fruit how much pesticides are we consuming can you let us know what fruits and vegs have the least pesticide etc. I like my smoothies but I have a concern for pesticides and how detrimental to our well being are they. I will purchase organic where and when possible but we can’t have it all. Really enjoy your 21 day cleanse thank you for sharing with the world.

52. monique says:

Can I do a 10 day Juice fast and then switch to smoothies without gaining any weight back?

Hi Monique,

Thank you so much for reaching out. Everyone’s body is different and therefore we can’t tell you how your body will adjust after completing your 10-day fast. What we can tell you is you will be fueling your body with healthy options!

53. Stacy says:

I was wondering, after you make the smoothies how long are they good to keep refrigerated and if so how long?

Hi Stacy,

Great question! Our recipes will keep in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days. Adding a small amount of lemon juice will help preserve all of their green goodness!

54. Madeline says:

I am trying to lose weight after so many years of fails. Now that I am 41 I feel so tired and look it as well. So having to prep was just another chore; but this idea is so much better. Prep ahead of time, and just refrigerate! Grab an go! Perfect. At work we have a blender, now all I have to do is just pour. Thanks for the tips.

Hi Madeline,

YAY! We’re so happy to hear our prep tips are helping you reach your personal health + wellness goals!

55. Sarah says:

hey girls, my hair strand tests from last year came back with high intolerances to Cruciferous vegetables – I think it must have been that alkaloid intolerance you talked about. I used to eat spinach 2-3x a day! I’m wanting to try getting back into them (being on low greens the last six months at Drs recommendation has made me feel lousy!) but am a bit nervous. Also need to keep to LOW-GI options. I’ve signed up to the smoothie challenge but are there some modifications I can make that will lower the fruit content and keep to the right sort of greens etc. Can I do 1 cup of fruit and 2 cups of veggies? Just fiddle with ratios till I find a taste/nutrient balance? What ideas do you have?

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for reaching out! We’re green smoothie lovin’ rawkstars all right, but we’re not doctors or nutritionists. We suggest you talk with your doctor about any health concerns— I’m sure they can help you decide what adjustments to our recipes are best for you and your body. Cheers to health + happiness!

56. Rachel says:

Hi – I wanted to purchase the cards, but the link doesn’t work! Can you use frozen fruit? I’m on a budget and have found that I’m skipping meals too much.

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for reaching out! We’ve switched out our printable recipe cards for mobile cards. Check them out here…

You can definitely reach for frozen fruit! We actually suggest using at least frozen fruit to ensure your smoothie is creamy + chilled to perfection!

57. Laurie says:

Hi, I am pregnant and due next week! Can I start the challenge anyway? Do any of the recipes affect breastfeeding? Can I use them for meal replacements for losing weight?

Hi Laurie,

Congratulations! Breastfeeding and green smoothies is totally beneficial. Just avoid the starchy veggies because that could cause gas for you and your little one (carrots, sweet potato, broccoli), etc. Also try not to eat anything 30 minutes before or after your green smoothie to allow the fruits to digest in your body quickly.

Thinking about using our recipes as a meal replacement? Our #1 concern is to ensure you’re fueling your + baby’s body! You can use your green smoothie as a meal replacement by adding protein + healthy fats, here are our favorite meal replacement booster combos…

Just make sure + listen to your body!

58. Ruth says:

Hello,
    I’m a diabetic. Too many fruits in one smoothie raises my blood sugar. What can I substitute for the bananas? Thanks

59. Gina says:

Can you make your smoothies the night before and leave them in the fridge to consume first thing in the morning?

Hi Gina,

Of course! Our recipes will keep in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days. We suggest adding a small amount of lemon juice to help preserve all of their green goodness. And just a quick FYI: separation is completely natural, as our recipes don’t have any yucky additives or preservatives, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying!

60. Gloria says:

Hi again had a question any smoothie you know of for sleep etc having to do with hormonal issues thanks.

Hi Gloria,

Looking for help improving your sleep? Try blending with beet greens! They include a wide variety of nutrients, but make their claim to fame with tryptophan. Tryptophan is the culprit of all those Thanksgiving Day naps, but more importantly helps with better sleep cycles.

• Freya says:

This is for Ruth, and other diabetics like me. Yes, in theory, dumping a high fruit content smoothie into your system isn’t good. What I have discovered is that you need to use a low sugar protein powder, and definitely an oil (think ketogenics). As stated in other parts of this site, 1/4 of an avocado in place of a cup of fruit will help lower the fruit, raise the time it is released in the blood stream. Nut butters or full fat plain greek yogurt added will also up the protein and fats, slowing the glycemic spike. Using low glycemic fruits and fruits with skin with also help. Good luck!

61. Gloria says:

Thanks so much for doing all the work saw your book on The Doctors I think, anyway on TV and oh this is what I’ve been looking for got the book right away started yesterday and loving it .Again thank God for you.

Hi Gloria,

YAY! We’re so excited you saw us on The Doctors and so excited to have you blendin’ with us. Thank you for all of your support!

62. Jan says:

Do I understand that I can use already frozen fruits from the store? That sure would be less time consuming!
    Thank you!!!

Hi Jan,

Oh, KALE YEAH you can! We actually suggest using at least one frozen fruit to ensure your smoothie is chilled to perfection.

63. Ayanna Asante says:

Thank you for this. I am on a mission to renew my health and totally change my life so this idea helps me stay compliant with my regime.

Hi Ayanna,

Thank you! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us and to be part of your personal mission towards health and wellness!

64. Lou says:

Love your suggestions but we don’t have a freezer and do most of our shopping once a week. How long can I keep these prepped jars in the frig? Enough for a week?

Hi Lou,

Thanks for reaching out. Not able to freeze your prep jars? We suggest keeping your ingredients separate then until you’re ready to enjoy.

65. Dottie says:

Just what I needed! I very little time to get ready in the mornings and love the frozen fruit, this prep work can take place on Sunday’s after church and be ready for the week.

66. kim says:

i am a breast cancer survivor! during chemo last year i excercised daily (2 miles jog + 4 miles biking) and drank a green smoothie a day. but over the last 6 months i lost my recipes and my energy along with it. i crawled a half marathon in Nov but am nowhere close to the level of previous fitness – and even gained about 20lbs! two of the biggest challenges have been 1. finding delicious smoothies (have only found yucky ones) 2. prepping… absolutely loved this article! signed up for challenge (wished i had found it sooner!) and am super excited to get healthy starting tmrw morning!!

Hi Kim,

We’re so excited to have you join us! We hope you enjoy our recipes and they help you reach your health + wellness goals. It already sounds like your a champion! Beating cancer, staying active through chemo, and running a half marathon. You’ve got this!!

Reach out with any questions! We’re so lucky to be a part of your journey!

67. Sanne says:

Great, usefull article About Smoothie prep. Was exactly what i was looking for. I have one question, you are putting the spinach with the fruits in the jars and bags and then u gave as an tip to freeze them seperately. Can i freeze them together?

Hi Sanne,

You can definitely freeze your greens + fruits together. If you have a lower-powered blender we suggest blending your greens + liquid base first, and then add your remaining ingredients to help breakdown any leafy pieces for a creamy delicious green smoothie, that’s why we give the option to freeze separately.

Hope this helps!

68. Adrienne says:

Hi 🙂

I’m super grateful to you and this site! It’s really helpful to newbies like me.

Just want to ask if it’s okay to include the spinach stalk in making the smoothie? Or do we just use the leaves? (will it affect the flavor and/or consistency of the smoothie?)

Thanks and more power! 🙂

Hi Adrienne,

Great question! You can usually get away with including spinach’s stems, but we do suggest removing thick or bitter stems like those found with kale.

Hope this helps!

69. Veronica says:

Hi,

Can I blend the night before and stick in the refrigerator over night? I use some frozen fruit depending on the recipe. Will the smoothie be good over night in the refrigerator?

Hi Veronica,

Great question! Yes, you can! Our recipes will keep in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up two days. Adding a small amount of lemon juice will help preserve their green goodness.

70. Payal says:

Hey girls
    I bought new blender and was looking for good green smoothie recipes. Found you. I have joined ur challenge and will be blending fromtomorrow. I am so excited.. Planning for baby and want to be healthy thats my resolution. Will let u know how i went with green smoothie as i will try this for first time. Thanks… Love payal

71. Lauren says:

I am happy to say that I am on Day 3 of the 30 Day Challenge! I am also following the prep guide. I am a nurse so working 3 12hr shifts make it difficult to come home and have the energy to cook dinner AND get smoothies ready. I picked one day where I just knock it out and it has already transformed my morning routine with a 3y/o into something less hectic, and quite frankly, fun! My daughter likes to help! I made it my New Year’s resolution to be a healthier me. I am very happy that I found your site! I also got my husband on board today ☺ Looking forward to more delicious smoothies and a healthier me! Thanks!

Hi Lauren,

YAY! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us and love hearing how our simple prep tips aren’t just making mornings easy, but fun!! Please continue to reach out during your 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge! We’d love to hear from you!

72. Bianca says:

Hi, I just purchased the book, and the recipe cards. Are the same recipes for the 30 day ebook in the actual book? I was wondering because if they are all different, then I will purchase that as well. Thank you!

Hi Bianca,

Great question! Just to confirm, you’re looking at purchasing our 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge E-Guide right?

If so, I just looked through our e-guide and book and there are some different recipes and a few that are also included in our book. I would say 50/50. Hope this helps you make your decision.

And thanks for blendin’ with us and all of your support!

73. Nancy says:

So I signed up and am excited but did I sign up for the Jan 1st one??

Hi Nancy,

Once you’re signed up, unless you change your email preferences, you’ll be all set to participate in all of our 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenges! Have you received our emails? If not, our emails have a habit of ending up in your spam or promotions folder. No where to be found? Please send a quick message to our team at the link below and we’ll make sure you’re all set!

74. Linda says:

I am so happy to start this challenge with you and look forward to the 1st Jan 2016. I am super excited.

75. Chantelle says:

I’m so happy I came across your Instagram account tonight!! I’m a huge green smoothie lover. I can’t wait for January 1st to start the green smoothie challenge.

Hi Chantelle,

We’re so happy you found us in this busy digital world! We can’t wait to share our January 30-Day Challenge with you!

76. Michelle says:

Hi! Thanks for all the recipes
    I just signed up for the challenge and I can’t wait. If I pre-blend and freeze my smoothies the night before, do I need to blend again in the morning to avoid separation?

77. Susanne says:

I’ve tried to do daily smoothies in the past but the time necessary each morning, before going to work, made it impossible to keep up. These tips are awesome! You also let me use frozen fruit from the grocery store!!! Horray! Options are wonderful. I think I can stick to it like this.
    Thanks very much, Sue

Hi Susanne,

YAY! We truly believe that being prepared is the #1 key to successful blending. We hope this is the trick you needed! 🙂

78. Nora says:

Hi girls,
    I’m soooo excited to try out green smoothies and I subscribed in the challenge. Now reading through your website for all tips before i start shopping and i have a question:
    Does ALL fruits freeze well with harming its nutritients in freezer? Banana, apple, mango, peach, grapes?

Thanks xoxo

Hi Nora,

Great question! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us and can’t wait to share our January 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge with you! Most fruits will freeze perfectly! You will notice that apples + bananas will brown slightly, and while they may brown, all of the nutrition + taste is still there. Giving them a quick coat with lemon juice will help cut down on any browning.

Want to know a tip? We suggest cutting up your fruit, and placing the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in the freezer. Once frozen place in a freezer safe container or ziploc bag until you’re ready to enjoy!

Please reach out with any questions! We can’t wait to hear from you throughout the challenge! 🙂

79. Donna says:

Do you use the 32oz Ball Jars for storing the prepped fruits/veggies? Once this is blended, does it become 16oz? I’m looking forward to January and starting to purchase the items I will need to get started 🙂

Donna

Hi Donna,

Thanks for reaching out! You’re right, we love reaching for 32oz Freezer Safe Mason jars to help prep our green smoothies. Using Ziploc bags or other freezer safe containers are also great options! When blended, our recipes will make two (16oz) green smoothies!

Hope this helps! And we hope prepping makes healthy living even easier!

80. RJ says:

Hi
    I am making up some freezer packs and wondering if I can add things like celery, beets, zucchini, etc. Do they freeze ok?
    I don’t like celery or beets, so keeping them in my fridge isn’t a great option as they go bad to quickly just using a little piece every day.

thanks!!

Hi RJ,

We love freezing our favorite fruits + veggies. It allows us to stock up when our favorites are in season, or even better, on sale! Beets, celery, + zucchini are all perfect for the freezer! We suggest slicing up your veggies, laying them out in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and place in the freezer. Once frozen, place in a freezer safe container or ziploc bag for storage.

Hope this helps! 🙂

81. Dawn says:

I have been replacing smoothie meals for breakfast and dinner for over a week, and I feel fantastic! I would like to know more about preparing and freezing. I ordered the kindle book, and haven’t really noticed a section for that. I do love your recipes!!! The avo banana kale is my fav! But I would like to know what I can freeze, how much, and prep to do so…. I hate for fresh veges and fruits to go to waste.

82. Moemoe says:

I’ve been a rawkstar smoothieist for quite some time now. It’s my first meal of the day. For avocados, I buy in bulk and create a large smashed bowl of perfectly ripped avocados. I then scope them onto a parchment lined cookie sheet like drop cookies. Pop them in the freezer and they freeze perfectly in an hour or so. I then bag them with the other fruits and veggies I love. Couldn’t be simpler! Being organized is a recipe for success.

I never get bored of your website. Keep rawking on!

83. Larresha says:

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for the post. 🙂

Could I not make my smoothie the night before and then leave in the fridge till I am ready to drink the next day? I am wondering if that will affect the nutritional content?

Hi Larresha,

Of course you can! Some people believe you need to enjoy your smoothie right away for optimal nutritional benefit, but it is our belief that your green smoothie will keep for up to two days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Know you will be storing your green smoothie? We suggest adding a small amount of lemon juice to help preserve their green goodness! Also, separation is completely natural, so give you smoothie a quick shake before enjoying.

84. sona says:

Peeling and cutting banana ahead of time? Wont it turn black due to oxidization?

Hi Sona,

Great question! Your chopped banana will brown in the freezer, but the nutrition + taste will still be there. Coat your sliced banana in a little bit of lemon juice to help limit browning.

85. Tabetha says:

This is such a silly question, I know, but what do you do about “smelly” greens? When I’ve tried storing my kale (one of the greens in particular), it gets such a awful smell that I just can’t stomach. It looks and tastes ok, but the smell turns me off. Is this normal? Are there gasses or something getting trapped in the glass jar from the Kale? I don’t notice it as much with the spinach…. 🙂

Hi Tabetha,

We’re more than happy to help! Does the smell occur when thawing your leafy greens after they were frozen?

86. Maggie says:

Really looking forward to starting the challenge. I’ve been dabbling in smoothies for a while but am ready to make it a daily habit.

87. Bertha says:

I have just signed to the 30 day challenge! I love smoothies but i need to ask if i can have regular meals. I’m a 63 years old trying to get healthier and happier. Please help!

88. Kim says:

Are you able to make these hints n ideas printable without all the pics.

89. Timeka says:

Hi,

I’ve been doing green smoothies before it became a “big” thing. I used to blend one big batch and drink them through the week. Then I heard that wasn’t good, but I hate having to blend individual smoothies every day. Can you pre-blend them and put them in the freezer and take them out to thaw when you are ready to eat/drink them.

Hi Timeka,

Yay! We’re so excited to have you join us + love that you’re a blendin’ rawkstar! You can pre-blend your green smoothies + keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. We suggest adding a little bit of lemon juice to help preserve their green goodness. Looking to freeze your pre-blended smoothie? Go for it! Just place your frozen smoothie in the refrigerator the night before you’re ready to enjoy. And just a heads up (but you probably already know), separation is natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying. Your pre-blended smoothies will keep in the freezer for up to two months!

90. Roely says:

Can you freeze glass mason jars?

Hi Roely,

Great question! Make sure you’re reaching for freezer-safe mason jars! We love prepping our green smoothies for quick-easy blending, but want to be safe too! 🙂

91. Claire dingle says:

Hi love your site and your smoothies! Can you tell me if you can freeze avocado and if so how ? Thanks
    Claire

Hi Claire,

Yes! We love freezing avocado! Simply simply purée/mash it, put it in a air tight bag, and place it in the freezer. It might help to put a little lemon juice in with it, too! Don’t be surprised if the color is less of a vibrant green and more of a dull brown–it still has a great taste and lots of nutrients!

92. Lucretia says:

Hi,
    Is it ok to drink more than 1 green smoothie a day?

Hi Lucretia,

Great question! Our goal for you is to add one (16oz) green smoothie to your day in addition to your normal diet. Our recipes make 2 servings perfect for sharing, saving for the next day, or enjoying later in the day. I personally use my green smoothie as a breakfast meal-replacement + love having the second serving on hand as a quick-healthy snack option when hunger hits at the end of the workday.

Interested in using your green smoothie as a meal replacement? You can replace up to two meals! We suggest adding protein + healthy fats to ensure you’re getting a complete meal. Check out our favorite meal replacement combo boosters here…

Hope this helps!

93. Loren says:

Hi!
    What size jars do you use? In the picture it does not seem like you fit 2 cups of spinach? I just tried prepping using a mason jar but I could only fit the fruits. I pack the spinach super tight so I usually have a ton of spinach per smoothie.

94. Tina says:

Thank you for making this so easy! I love it. I had my first meal replacement smoothie last night and it was great. Thank you.

Hi Tina,

Thank you so much for reaching out + sharing the love! What did you blend for your first meal replacement?

95. Yolanda says:

do you drink the smoothies alone for the 30 days?

Hi Yolanda,

Great question! Our goal is for you to add one (16oz) green smoothie to your day along with your regular diet. Green smoothies make the perfect complement to any meal, or are a perfect snack! Interested in using your green smoothie as a meal replacement? Learn all about adding healthy fats + protein to your green smoothie to ensure you’re getting a complete meal here…

Hope this helps!

96. Sarah says:

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely help me to stay on track for this challenge! =)

• SGS Rawkstar says:

You’re so welcome! Reach out with any questions throughout the challenge!

97. Sarah says:

If greens say they are triple washed, are they good to go or should you still rinse them?

98. Anita Poko says:

I am so looking forward to this challenge, I have been looking everywhere for something like this I am so grateful Thank you so kindly

Hi Anita,

Yay! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! Reach out with any questions throughout our October 30-Day Challenge!

99. zoe says:

can these smoothies be consumed as a full meal (e.g. breakfast)? or would you need to have some other food (e.g. toast, porridge) with the smoothie?

100. Maureen says:

I try to make a smoothie everyday and I am loving the tips that you have shared. I am signing up for the Healthy Living bundle. Due to time constraints and availability I am not always able to track down fresh organic produce. Is there an issues if I use some frozen and some fresh in season produce to make the smoothies? Thank you.

1 2 3 4
popular recipes

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE
DIY FREEZER SMOOTHIE PREP ON A BUDGET

7 DIY NATURAL REMEDIES
get my go-to

Our go-to natural remedies to boost your immune system, crush your next cold and help ease congestion quickly.

IT'S FO'