A salad in a jar is one of our favorite lunches. Besides being super healthy and loaded with nutritious ingredients, it’s awfully pretty to look at.
Our autumn inspired salad in a jar uses butternut squash, quinoa, chickpeas, kale, pomegranate seeds, and a delicious herb vinaigrette. Another great thing about making salad in a jar is that you can prep it in advance. Our recipe makes enough for two lunches and can be made 1-3 days in advance. We love whipping these up so we know we’re covered for lunch – it’s much easier to pass up a burger and fries when lunch is already to go.Print
This easy-to-assemble, seasonal salad is perfect when you need lunch on the go! Packed with protein, healthy fat, and antioxidant rich pomegranate seeds, this autumn-inspired salad is sure to keep your body fueled through the afternoon. Free free to prep the ingredients the night before, and have a tasty + healthy lunch waiting for you in the fridge the next day! // serves 2
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash (roasted)
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked)
- 1 cup chickpeas (canned)
- 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups kale (cut into ribbons)
- 4 tbsp sliced almonds
- 4 tbsp Herb Vinaigrette ((recipe follows))
For Herb Vinaigrette:
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1. Have two quart size canning jars ready. Before assembling jars, place kale in a bowl or strainer. Gently squeeze or massage the kale to soften it.
2. Layer in jars in this order starting from the bottom and working up:
-1 cup butternut squash
-½ cup cooked chickpeas
-½ cup cooked quinoa
-2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
-1 cup kale ribbons
-2 tablespoons sliced almonds
3. Mix ingredients for vinaigrette together in a small bowl.
4. To serve, add the dressing to the jar, close the lid tightly, and gently turn the jar over to coat the ingredients with the dressing. Open and eat.
Can be made 1-3 days in advance. Keep dressing separate until ready to eat.
Looking for more fall-inspired recipes? Check out our Autumn Meal Plan—4 weeks of vegetarian meals ready for you + your family. It’s time to get excited about healthy eating!