Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

How To Travel with Green Smoothies

How To Travel With a Blender-4

Why We Blend When We Travel

We love to travel, and we do it a lot. We get questions all the time about traveling and green smoothies. Like us, we know you don’t want give up your daily green smoothie when you travel, so we are here to give you our best tips and tricks for traveling with a blender because you don’t have to give it up! It may or may not be as convenient as it is at home depending on the destination and nature of travel, but we do it anyway. We just can’t quit our green smoothies!

More than being a habit, drinking a green smoothie when you travel can help keep you on track with healthy eating. Not that we don’t love to indulge in a few less-than-healthy meals when we’re traveling – hello, New York pizza! But we also like knowing we’ve given our bodies at least one healthy dose of fruits and veggies to keep us going. It can also help you recover from jet leg by refueling and hydrating your body, and help keep your immune system in tip-top shape.

Two things to do before you leave

#1: INVESTIGATE WHERE YOU’LL BE STAYING

We know there are hundreds of travel destinations around the world and not every place is going to be equipped for your green smoothie needs. If you’re staying in a hotel, check to see if your room has a fridge or freezer, clean water, etc. If you’re renting a house or condo, ask the owner about things like cutting boards, knives, fridge and freezer, and if they own a quality, working blender. (Then you don’t have to pack your own!)

Check maps online to see if there are grocery stores nearby where you’ll be staying and transportation options if you don’t plan on renting a car. You may not be able to anticipate everything, but it never hurts to ask a few questions and go prepared.

#2: DECIDE WHAT YOU NEED TO PACK

Superfoods

There are no hard and fast rules about what you have to pack, but here are some things we find helpful to pack:

Packing a Blender

How To Pack Your Blender

The type of blender you pack is up to you—personal blenders can be lighter and easier to bring along, but we often pack our big blenders. If you travel a lot, it may be worth investing in a personal blender. Otherwise, a full-size blender works just fine. Another option is to take an immersion blender

The TSA recommends packing blenders in checked luggage, but we have had success packing them in our carry-on bags. If you have a blender, like a Blendtec, that doesn’t have a sharp blade, you’ll probably be fine. Otherwise, it’s worth playing it safe and packing it in your checked luggage. Or remove the blade and place it in the checked luggage and keep the rest of the blender with you. (Vitamix users will need a special tool to remove the blade from the pitcher.) Either way, make sure to pack it in such a way to prevent the blender from being damaged. We like to pack all of our smoothie supplies with the blender so it’s ready to go. Tuck a dishtowel, or even a t-shirt to help pad the blender and jar.

Packing a Blender-2

Try using a backpack or small suitcase because they are easy to carry or roll around—those blenders can be kinda heavy! Pack the jar or bottle inside the blender jar, using a dishtowel or t-shirt to help pad it. Fit it into the bag and pack around it so it doesn’t move around too much.

Tips for buying produce when you arrive

How To Travel With a Blender-3

Once you arrive at your destination, it will be time to hunt down some leafy greens and fruit!

Where do we shop for produce? The answer is simple: wherever you can find it! If you’re traveling somewhere with a Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, or a standard grocery store, you’ll have no problems. If you are going somewhere more remote, it can be tougher. Roadside farm stands will be your friend. Sometimes you’ll have access to cheaper local fruit than you’d find at a grocery store. Traveling to cold destinations where the growing season has ended, you’ll have to rely on what you can find in grocery stores.

Don’t be afraid to try something new —we refer back to our smoothie formula (2 cups greens, 2 cups liquid, 3 cups fruit/veggies) and then buy what’s available. Exotic ingredients can create some really interesting smoothie blends!

How To Travel With a Blender-5

Taking a road trip?

Blending smoothies ahead of time and freezing them is a fantastic option for shorter trips where a cooler can be used to transport and/or store smoothies. Simply blend a bunch of green smoothies the night before leaving and store them in the freezer. Toss the now frozen green smoothies into your cooler (best to add ice to the cooler), and you’re ready to hit the road!

Try adding lemon juice to each smoothie to help keep it fresh, or even blending in bananas—they’ll last longer and taste better.

How To Travel With a Blender-6

Drinking green smoothies while traveling is one of the best ways to keep fueling your body with good food—all it takes is a little bit of planning!

WE’RE CURIOUS…

Have any tips on how to drink green smoothies while traveling? Share your own rawkstar tips in the comments below!

Filed in:

Comment+

1. LaVonne Ellis

November 13th, 2015 at 7:56 pm

I am a full-time nomad, living and traveling in my van and I have finally figured out how to have daily green smoothies, using my solar panel and van engine to power the blender.

One thing I learned in my travels is that ice melts way too fast, even in my five-day cooler. So I buy dry ice and put that in the bottom of the cooler and put the ice on top of that and the produce on top of that. The dry ice keeps the regular ice frozen much longer and can even help keep smoothies frozen for a few extra days. Just make sure that the dry ice is separated from the produce by ice.

When you are camping in national forests or on BLM land far from big cities, finding good organic produce is very challenging. Freeze dried fruit can help solve that problem, but fresh, organic leafy greens are another story. Powdered greens can be a solution. Another option, which I haven’t tried yet but plan to, is sprouting.

And there is the question of clean-up in 50 square feet with no running water. I put together what I call a smoothie ‘kit’ containing all the equipment and utensils I need for both preparation and cleanup, so they’re always available. Convenience is absolutely key to making this successful.

Thank you so much for your awesome recipes, tips, and advice on how to make green smoothies part of our lives.

2. LaVonne Ellis

November 14th, 2015 at 8:29 am

p.s. I just noticed that I missed typed my email address in the previous comment. You will find it is corrected here.

3. SGS Rawkstar

November 16th, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Whoa! LaVonne, you’re a blendin’ rawkstar! We love hearing how you make blendin’ work for you while traveling. Cheers to fueling your body while on the road. As a full-time nomad, what’s your favorite place you traveled?

Cheers 🙂

4. Katerina

November 19th, 2015 at 8:50 am

Hi Jen and Jadah

I love your work and the green smoothie movement you have created. You are so inspirational.

I travel on the plane a lot so I would like to ask you if you have ever tried to get a frozen smoothie through airport security and if it has been successful.

Thank you very much and keep up with this great work.

5. SGS Rawkstar

November 19th, 2015 at 11:23 am

Hi Katerina,

We haven’t tried bringing a frozen green smoothie onto a plane, and we’re not really sure that would pass through airport security. The best place for that question would be TSA. Here’s their contact page, you can talk to them directly online…

6. Lori

February 25th, 2016 at 10:35 am

Katerina – I travel weekly for work and I constantly travel with frozen liquids such as smoothies, bone broth, soups, etc… As long as it’s frozen then you can take it through TSA. I have an insulated bag from Whole Foods that I back full for food for the week with some ice packs. I have a lot of food allergies/sensitivities so find it easiest to make and bring all my food with me. You may be stopped by TSA to look in your bag (it happens every week to me) but as long as its frozen you can take it through

7. SGS Rawkstar

February 25th, 2016 at 11:14 am

Great information! Thanks for sharing, Lori!

8. GraffitiGrammarian

January 8th, 2016 at 1:44 pm

You guys have a fun site.

When I’m at home, I like to make super-thick smoothies in my Vitamix with frozen ingredients. The result is like those VitaMix “ice creams” they like to show off in their videos — thick enough to eat with a spoon.

I often use fresh kale, frozen papaya, ice cubes, a handful of soaked cashews, ginger, flax oil and a bit of vanilla extract.

This is super tasty, and the frozen papaya and ice cubes make it super-thick.

Here’s my question — when I’m staying in a hotel, I will have access to ice from the hotel ice machine, but I won’t have a freezer. There will be a little fridge in the hotel room but there is generally no freezer compartment in those little things.

So if I make my kale smoothie with just fresh ingredients (nothing frozen) and throw in some ice, do you think it will be very thick?

Also, I plan to take my NutriBullet to do the blending. I’m not sure how well it will handle the ice cubes — I might have to break them up a bit first. I plan to take a wooden mallet (meat tenderizer) in my suitcase to break up the ice cubes first if I need to.

Crazy, right? All this just so I can have thick smoothies at my hotel. But I’m on a highly restricted diet and this will ensure I can eat and not get sick.

let me know what you think about just using ice, no frozen fruit, and about using the NutriBullet.

thanks!

9. DeniseC

January 8th, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I am new too smoothies and just got a NutriBullet as a gift. I put standard icemaker ice cube in it and it handled them like a dream. I will say I tried greens, frozen fruit and ice like you said… It got too thick and the NutriBullet wouldn’t blend the greens at the “top” of the cup. I had to stop and shake it up and add a little more liquid.

Just my findings with NutriBullet.

10. Nia

February 25th, 2016 at 2:28 pm

DeniseC,

In order to keep from having to use ice cubes and to have a smoothie that is “smooth” I blend my greens (11oz bag of a mix of kale and spinach) with about 1/4 – 1/2 cup of water and make ice cubes with that. I’ve learned through experimenting to just keep adding the greens as I blend so that I have a high concentration when I add 2-3 cubes to my smoothies.
    Hope this helps a little.

11. Karen MCPHERSON

April 7th, 2016 at 11:19 am

Hello Denise! I also have a Nutribullet. I PACK my greens on the bottom of the cup. (close to two handfuls) then add my liquids. hope this idea helps.

12. SGS Rawkstar

January 11th, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Hi GraffitiGrammarian,

Cheers to blendin’ on the go! When you don’t have frozen fruit on hand, ice is a great way to go to ensure you have a creamy green smoothie, and your NutriBullet should handle breaking down the ice like a dream! When blending with NutriBullet we always suggest blending with a little additional liquid base to ensure everything blends smoothly, so unfortunately, you may not reach the extra thick creamy texture you’re looking for. But we promise you’ll still have a delicious green smoothie!

If you love smoothie bowls, check out our Rainbow Love recipe straight from our new book here…

13. Tiffany

February 25th, 2016 at 10:09 am

I love your dedication! I do business travel about 30-40% of the time and almost never check a bag. This is alot of effort for a trip like that so I’d also recommend checking out the nearest juice or smoothie place near where you are staying. You can get whole fruit smoothies at places like Jamba Juice, Robeks, and many health food stores without needing to lug all of this with you!

14. SGS Rawkstar

February 25th, 2016 at 11:10 am

Hi Tiffany,

Great suggestion! We’re all about finding different ways to stay healthy on the road!

15. julia

February 25th, 2016 at 12:33 pm

What blenders do you reccomend to buy when traveling? I am planning a world trip and would love your reccomendations. Nutribullet or is their another option you find better?

16. paula

February 25th, 2016 at 3:18 pm

I use the Cuisinart blender that blends the smoothie in a 500mll container, so I remove the blade and add a cover and i am ready to go.

17. Sandy

February 25th, 2016 at 5:26 pm

As I often don’t have access to a refrigerator when I travel, I simply use “green powders” as a way to get some sort of greens in my diet. Not the best, but it’s better than nothing.

18. SGS Rawkstar

February 26th, 2016 at 8:13 am

Hi Sandy,

It’s all about finding what works for you! 🙂

19. Sonja Allison

February 25th, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Ok I’ve been doing non-stop green smoothies since November 2015. I signed up for the last challenge to help keep me motivated. I don’t have a super fancy blender but it does the trick (Hamilton Beach Go Sport blender 600 watt). I’ve traveled with it and it only costs $30! If anyone looking to buy a travel blender thats cheap yet durable I recommend this one. Like I said I make 1-2 green smoothies a day and have been using it non-stop for the past 4 months. I def want a upgraded blender but I’m happy with how well this one works & its great for traveling .

20. SGS Rawkstar

February 26th, 2016 at 8:14 am

Hi Sonja,

We love learning about the different blenders our community is using + love hearing that yours makes traveling a breeze! Thank you so much for sharing! 🙂

21. Aimee Dewar

February 25th, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for gluten free, organic greens powders? I’m having trouble finding some. Great suggestions in the article and the comments.

22. SGS Rawkstar

February 26th, 2016 at 8:16 am

Hi Aimee,

Check out MNOS. It was recommended to us by Jadah’s grandmother, the same person who introduced her to green smoothies!

Learn more here…

23. Maggie

February 27th, 2016 at 10:18 am

Hemp is medical marijuana ?

24. SGS Rawkstar

February 29th, 2016 at 11:56 am

Hi Maggie,

Great question! If you’re not familiar with hemp, seeing it in a recipe can definitely raise some red flags. Even though hemp and marijuana are both made from the Cannabis plant, hemp seeds contain negligible levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the psychoactive substance in marijuana.

We love adding hemp hearts or hemp protein to our green smoothies because it’s packed with protein + fiber. The hemp is also kid friendly, as it encourages childhood growth through its amino acids. Athletes can also turn to this superfood for its ability to repair muscles. You can add one to four tablespoons of hemp protein, which has a much stronger taste. You can also buy hemp hearts and sprinkle one to two tablespoons of top of smoothies or add to your salads for a nutty, protein packed punch.

Hope this helps!

25. Debbie

February 27th, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Great thread! I’ve done a 5 day road trip 4 times in the last 2 years, and I managed to have smoothies the whole trip!
    I use a blendtec at home, but bring my magic bullet for the road. I make up 2 days of smoothies, add ice and put them in insulated travel coffee mugs. There’s always still ice in the second day cup! Then I preload 3 magic bullet cups (with lids) with everything but the liquid, and freeze those. Everything goes in travel cooler, including a container of coconut water for the 3 frozen bullet cups. Easy peasy.
    In addition to the smoothies, while on the road, I also make a batch of energy bars, and bring nuts, fresh fruit, chopped veggies and hummus, and I basically eat all that for the 5 days. If I was hungry at lunch or supper, I’d get either a salad or veggie soup either at a grocery store, or a restaurant. (This is traveling in North America). LOVE my smoothies and eating green!!! 🙂

26. SGS Rawkstar

February 29th, 2016 at 11:58 am

Hi Debbie,

Love it!! Thank you so much for sharing your experience blendin’ on the go!!

27. Aimee

April 7th, 2016 at 11:06 am

So silly, but where’d you get the cute little red backpack in the pics? 🙂

28. SGS Rawkstar

April 7th, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Thanks Aimee! The red backpack was a great Costco find!

29. Yevette

April 7th, 2016 at 12:13 pm

I’m planning a road trip this summer and this is invaluable. Thanks!

30. SGS Rawkstar

April 7th, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Rawesome! Safe travels this summer, Yevette!

31. Michelle Willard

April 7th, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Am planning a road trip this weekend so these tips came at the perfect time. I just started making smoothies at the same time that your 30 day challenge began. It’s been awesomely delicious and I am glad that I’ll be able to meet the challenge while traveling. Thanks!

32. SGS Rawkstar

April 7th, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Hi Michelle,

YAY! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! We hope you have a wonderful road trip! Reach back out + let us know how you enjoyed blending on the go! 🙂

33. Miriam

April 7th, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Would it be the end of the world to purchase already prepared green smoothies with protein while traveling? Naked or Bolthouse? Just curious.

34. Joan

April 8th, 2016 at 2:43 am

Hi. I was about to buy a prepared smoothie at Heathrow and luckily got out my glasses and read the ingredients. It was loaded with sugar, corn syrup and preservatives. But it was labeled,’healthy and all natural’. Just be careful what you buy! If you are sensitive to sugar, eat some nuts with the smoothie if it’s all fruit. good luck! Eating healthy on the go is a real challenge!

35. SGS Rawkstar

April 8th, 2016 at 7:07 am

Hi Miriam,

Great question! And Joan had wonderful advice. You can definitely pick-up pre-blended green smoothies while on the go, just makes sure and keep an eye on the ingredients!

36. Nayna

April 8th, 2016 at 7:11 am

Wonderful, wonderful article, thanks!!!

37. SGS Rawkstar

April 8th, 2016 at 7:43 am

You’re so welcome, Nayna!

38. Ann

April 8th, 2016 at 1:03 pm

You have mentioned the formula for making smoothies; 2 cups greens, 2 cups liquid and 3 cups of fruit (and I’m sure it is not written in stone 🙂 but I have noticed some recipes calls for 2 cups of greens and 1 cup of liquid. Why is that!

39. SGS Rawkstar

April 11th, 2016 at 8:40 am

Hi Ann,

Great question! Some recipes call for less liquid base because the fruits we’re blending with like citrus or grapes have a high water content which makes up for the missing liquid in our ingredients. Ever find your green smoothie too thick? No worries, simply add a little more liquid base to smooth everything out! Our recipes are here to inspire you, so please don’t feel like you need to follow them to a T.

40. Jen

June 28th, 2016 at 8:12 am

Hi — I am two weeks in to my smoothie experience and love how I’m feeling. However I am incredibly concerned I’m using too much fruit and not enough veggies. I’ve been using kale and carrots in every smoothie, and then adding in a variety of fruits. Any suggestions?

41. SGS Rawkstar

June 28th, 2016 at 11:01 am

Hi Jen!

Thanks so much for reaching out! Next time you blend, feel free to flip our normal 3 cups fruit : 2 cups leafy greens ratio, and try using 3 cups leafy greens + 2 cups fruit instead :). You can also try using a different variety of greens like swiss chard, baby bok choy, cilantro, or beet greens (just to name a few!).

And if you’re craving a really veggie-heavy smoothie, our Veggie Cocktail recipe is delish!

42. Melissa

June 28th, 2016 at 12:14 pm

I love the idea of traveling during the summer and making smoothies along the way. I have had a few weird looks at my smoothies but I don’t care because they are so delicious and good for me. I would much rather make my own smoothie and know what goes into it because I put it there. A side note about one of the pictured items that you take along on trips; Organifi green juice. It has a lot of wonderful ingredients listed but the side of the bottle states this: Warning this product may contain a chemical known to the state of CA to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm. Learn More (in bold): organifi.com/prop65. Information obtained from Amazon.com
    I just thought that it was important that you knew of these dangers. Thank you for all your hard work and delicious smoothie recipes!

43. SGS Rawkstar

June 29th, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Hi Melissa!

Thank you so much for reaching out + for sharing! We did a little research and found this comment on Amazon. Could be worth reaching out to Organifi Green Juice for more information :).

“Thanks for your question on the Organifi Green Juice, and we’d love to give you more insight into the Prop 65 labeling on the side of the package. Our Prop 65 warning is because our product contains ingredients that come directly from the earth. Any product that comes straight from the earth has chances of containing metals. Chances that is.

In the state of California, we have to send this out because it is a state law.

For more information, visit: http://www.organifi.com/prop65/

We’ll be happy to address any concerns you have personally, please e-mail us at contact@thegroupdeal.com and we’ll get in touch with you asap.”

–Lea
    Customer Service

44. Bobbi

August 31st, 2016 at 5:35 am

When traveling by car, I pre make smoothies and store in mason jars. Freeze them and then put in cooler with ice! Most times when I arrive where I am going they are still frozen, if not they last several days thawed! Purchased the lid for mason jars from Mason Bar Co and love it! Def need my smoothies when I’m away, I noticed I feel bad without them at least some of my days away. Helps to balance the bad eating we may do on vacation!

45. SGS Rawkstar

August 31st, 2016 at 7:09 am

Rawk on, Bobbi!

1 2
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM