I love crispy potatoes. Whether they are in a breakfast skillet, a burrito, or smothered in toppings with a delicious dipping sauce. I’ll eat them and enjoy every bite. Try my crispy baked potato wedges and add a healthy vegetable side dish to your next meal.
Did you know you don’t have to fry potato wedges in a vat of oil to get the crispy result you love? I bake mine in the oven and they come out perfectly crispy every single time. Follow these simple steps (and use the right oil) to enjoy perfection for yourself.
Table of Contents
How to Make Potato Wedges
In just a few steps, you can produce delightfully crispy baked potato wedges. I love dip-able sides and potatoes, so this recipe is a win-win!
Wash and scrub 4-6 Russet potatoes until clean. Then slice them into wedges. If you prefer matchstick fries (thin, straight and crispy) l suggest using a mandolin, which works incredibly well!
Soak those potato wedges in hot water for 10 minutes. Soaking them ahead of time will ensure a crispy outside, soft on the inside finished product. Make sure to pat dry after soaking so they go into the oven dry.
Set the oven to 400°F. Toss the dried wedges in avocado oil (as this withstands high heat well) as well as the seasonings I list below.
Roast on parchment paper for 45 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Once they’re as crispy as you like them, take them out of the oven.
Read on for some incredible toppings and dipping sauces to finish off these crispy wedges the right way.
Choose to load up these crispy baked potato wedges or keep them plain for optimal dipping; whichever you like. Here are some great toppings and sauces to finish off this epic dish.
- Chopped green onions
- Nutritional yeast (gives these potatoes a ‘cheesy’ flavor)
- Pickled jalapeños
- Truffle oil
- Coconut sriracha sauce
- Chipotle cashew cream
- Cashew ranch dip
- Avocado crema
Crispy Potato FAQs
Yes! This helps the outsides crisp up while keeping the inside soft when baking. I know it feels like an extra, unnecessary step, but it’s super important!
Easy! Cut potatoes into wedges, soak in hot water for 10 minutes then remove and dry. Top with your favorite seasoning and a good oil like avocado or coconut. Bake at 400°F for 45 minutes, flipping halfway through.
I use Russet potatoes in my baked potato wedges recipe because they crisp beautifully and cut nicely into long wedges. Feel free to use the potatoes of your choice, just know that different varieties will have different bake times.
Now that you’ve got an amazing new side dish, what should you serve with these baked wedges? Here are some recipes that work well with these potatoes:
- Black Bean Burgers
- Crispy Tofu Nuggets
- Cauliflower Tacos
- Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Jackfruit BBQ Tacos
- Pumpkin Soup
- Grilled Mushroom Burgers
Be sure to rate + review this recipe once you’ve made it. I love getting your feedback!
Baked Potato Wedges
- 2 lbs Russet potatoes 6 small or 4 medium, scrubbed clean (don't peel)
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Cut potatoes into wedges.
- Soak wedges in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Set oven to 400°F.
- Place in a bowl and toss with oil and seasoning.
- Place on parchment paper and roast for about 45 minutes, flipping halfway, until crispy.
- Soaking the potatoes before baking makes them crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, instead of dry and shriveled up.
- Russet potatoes produce the crispiest baked wedges, however, you can use the potato of your choice.
- Easily turn these into ‘cheesy’ wedges by topping them with nutritional yeast before serving.
- Delicious dipping sauces include cashew ranch dip, avocado crema, coconut sriracha sauce drizzled over top.