The salad recipe I’m sharing today is small but mighty. It’s not loaded with leafy greens. In fact, it’s quite a simple salad. My crunchy grated carrot salad is the perfect snack or side dish.
I created this salad for my 21-Day Cleanse as a nourishing snack recipe. The fresh carrots and healthy fats give you a nice afternoon burst of energy. The lemon and orange also brighten it up because we could all use a little extra sunshine in our lives.
This bright salad is not really main event material yet it works perfectly as a side dish or snack. It’ll definitely add vibrancy to your tablescape.
Table of Contents
Simple Carrot Salad Tips
The hardest part of this recipe is deciding whether to peel the carrots or grate them thinly. You do you!
I turn to this salad for an afternoon pick-me-up instead of veggies and dip because, well, it’s healthier. But the dressing does elevate this dish to more than just peeled carrots and some greens.
Extra Topping Options
Feel free to up the protein in this salad with chickpeas or black beans. Use toasted sunflower seeds for a different flavor and feel free to add in some spices of your choice. The classic French carrot salad also includes fruit, so add that as a topping.
Everyone knows that carrots are healthy. The beta carotene that makes them orange is great for eye health. They are naturally sweet yet low in natural sugar. The nutrients in carrots have been shown to protect the body from several kinds of cancer.
Carrot Salad FAQs
The carrot salad you knew as a child is probably a French Carrot salad. It often includes fruit and is used as a side dish. Feel free to add fresh apples or raisins to my version!
While this salad is at its best eaten right away, you can refrigerate it for a day or two without the dressing on it.
More Recipes that use Carrots
If you love this grated carrot salad, use the rest of the bag in your fridge or pull some more from the garden to use in these recipes:
Don’t forget to rate + review this recipe once you’ve made it. I can’t wait to read how yours turned out!
Crunchy Carrot Salad
- 2 carrots peeled into strips
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- dash ground black pepper
- dash sea salt
- 2 tbsp orange juiced
- 2 tbsp lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Whisk together orange juice, lemon juice and olive oil. Set aside.
- Combine carrot strips, cilantro and sunflower seeds on a plate.
- Drizzle dressing over salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can grate the carrots for this salad instead of peeling them into strips.
- Swap out the sunflower seeds with hemp hearts (still nut-free) or sliced almonds.
- Does cilantro taste like soap to you? If so, use parsley instead.
- Feel free to use the carrots of your choice. When I created this salad for my Autumn Cleanse, I used rainbow carrots because they’re fun!