Green Smoothie Hack: Freeze Leafy Greens

Breakfast: the most important meal of the day.

We’ve all heard this from our moms, grandmoms, teachers, or friends. But do we agree? Kale yeah we do!

But that all depends on what you eat for breakfast. Try swapping a bagel and coffee for a green smoothie and you will feel supercharged and finally understand why breakfast is so important.

If you spend most mornings rushing just to make sure you’re dressed and on time for work (and getting the kids ready if you’ve got ‘em), walking out your door with a healthy breakfast in your hand ain’t easy. We are both busy moms ourselves, and ran into this problem in our early green smoothie blending days.

FreezingLeafyGreens_600_7

In the past few years, however, we’ve figured out a fabulous #smoothiehack to help you get blending, and sipping that leafy green goodness no matter how hectic your morning. (That way, you can spend those extra minutes tucking a note in someone’s lunchbox, or making sure you remember your water bottle.)

Ready? Here’s our secret: we started freezing leafy greens.

We know, we know. It sounds so simple! But the payoff is major, people—for your health, and your wallet, because it helps you avoid wasting tasty veggies and greens.

We typically use fresh greens for a couple days right after we go grocery shopping. Then, we measure out two cups of greens into each freezer bag, and toss ‘em on in the freezer. Then, as we run around making sure little teeth are brushed and school clothes are on, all we have to do is grab a bag of frozen greens and dump them in the blender!

Yep, that means no more bleary-eyed battles with the measuring cups. Greens stay good in the freezer for a couple of months instead of a week in the fridge. Boom! We know you love saving time and money as much as we do, Rawkstar!

How to freeze leafy greens

Spinach, kale, and chard all freeze beautifully. And, if you freeze your greens in one big batch instead of 2 cup quantities, just make sure to note that 2 cups of fresh greens equals 1 ½ cups of frozen greens.

note: While frozen greens are fantastic for smoothies, don’t use them for your salads… you’ll be very disappointed! (Turns out, ice chunks aren’t as fun as croutons.)

Wash leafy greens

Wash the greens well. To help remove any bugs, add a little white vinegar to the water and swish well. Shake to remove excess water, pat, or spin dry.

LeafyGreens_560Logo

Remove stems

Remove the leaves from the stems (if there are large stems present, like kale), and chop or tear leaves into pieces. To do this quickly, hold the stem in one hand and run the other one along the stem to rip the leaves away from the stalk. (Some blenders can handle the stems, but others can’t. Do what works best for you!)

LeafyGreens_560Logo3

Label storage bags

Label bags with the amount and type of green. Adding the date can be helpful if these will be stored for a while.

LeafyGreens_560Logo10

Measure greens

Measure out greens into BPA-free, freezer-safe bags or containers. Squeeze out as much air as possible and seal.

LeafyGreens_560Logo4
LeafyGreens_560Logo7

Pack leafy greens into bags

Pop the bags into the freezer and store until ready to use.

Hint: if we’re feeling extra organized, we measure out the frozen fruit for each smoothie and add it to the bag of greens before we freeze. You can check out our make ahead smoothie prep tips here.)

Share your favorite hack…

Do you have a favorite smoothie hack? If you do, share it with us in the comments below. We always love hearing from you guys!

Tags:    /   Categories: Cooking Tips

By: Jen Hansard | Updated: 6.2.2015 | COMMENTS: 312

COMMENTS

1. Kara says:

Since hopping on board w/simple green over a year ago I’ve been pre-packing & freezing my smoothies as a way to prep for the week. I leave notes like “add 1c Almond Milk” along w/the name of the recipe. I’m finding kale is not as tasty from the freezer as when I add it is fresh. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Kara,

You’re not doing anything wrong. Freezing can sometimes change the taste of your leafy greens, especially herbs. Don’t like the taste? Then leave your leafy greens out and add them fresh!

2. Cat H says:

Hello Rawkstars! This is a great tip..I love the idea of buying greens in bulk and freezing them for easy use. I also loved your prep idea on Day one..where you freeze all the fruits with the greens in one bag on a Sunday and it’s ready to go all week..so genius! I even took a picture on my phone of your beautiful bags all lined up and ready to go in the freezer. Thanks again for always sending great tips and motivation. Your e-mails are like sunshine!

3. Gay says:

I put my greens in my blender, add a little water and process until smooth. I pour the blended greens into ice cube trays, put them in the freezer until frozen and add them to a freezer bag for future use. When I want a smoothie, I simply had the frozen greens to my blender along with the other ingredients

Hi Gay,

Love this! Thanks for sharing. We always love hearing new ways our community are prepping their green smoothies!

4. Caryn says:

Do you reuse your ziplocks (rinse, dry, reuse)? Or do you know of any good, small, freezer safe reusable containers?

Hi Caryn,

We do! We’re all about reuse, so we give our ziploc bags a quick rinse, let them dry, and then use them again. Freezer-safe mason jars are another great re-usuable option!

5. Lisa/greensmothiejunkie says:

Thanks so much for posting this! We have been going to the grocery a couple times a week for spinach for our smoothies. I was wondering how it would do frozen. This will be so much easier!

6. John says:

I wondered if I could pre-freeze my kale to simplify my morning. Now I can prep my _whole_ week’s meals at once. Thank you!

Green smoothies in the morning have been life-changing. I’ve been eating them for about three months now and could never go back to “normal” breakfast.

No more toast and bagel bloat!

7. Jen says:

Loved the post. I always freeze my kale, as it makes it taste sweet and less bitter when I throw it into a smoothie as compared with fresh kale. But I’ve heard that freezing spinach increases the bitterness. Because of that, I always use fresh spinach in my smoothies. But, it would be so much more convenient to freeze it first. Has that been that your experience spinach? Perhaps I should try freezing it. Thanks.

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

I have never noticed a difference in taste with fresh or frozen spinach. The diff I experience is there tends to be more leafy chunks when you use frozen spinach. Fresh spinach in a high powered blender turns into a creamy dreamy delight!

8. Sophie says:

Hi!

I froze freshly bought kale in small plastic bags, just as you guys say to…unfortunately when I took them out to use & after letting the leaves defrost, they stunk! I was wondering what might have gone wrong, especially as the had only been frozen for a week and my freezer is working perfectly….

Advice would be much appreciated!

Hi Sophie,

When blending with frozen greens, we don’t suggest defrosting. Simply pop into your blender frozen and blend away!

9. Diem says:

Love making green smoothies! How long can I freeze kale for smoothies? I’ve heard 12 months but not too sure

Hi Diem,

You’re right! Leafy greens can keep in your freezer for up to 12 months. Personally, for the very best quality we try to use them within a few months.

10. Elizabeth says:

I also use spring salad mix, can that be frozen as well?

11. Irene_N says:

I didn’t blanch my kale and spinach, but I washed and bagged them and kept them frozen for four months. I plan to just make smoothies out of them now. Are they still safe to consume after four months? Are they still as nutritious?

Hi Irene,

We suggesting storing your leafy greens in a storage bag (like Ziploc) or airtight container for up to 6 weeks. You won’t lose the nutrients when freezing them.

Did you know that freezing your greens cuts down on the “green” taste, making it easier to pack your green smoothies with tons of leafy goodness?

12. V says:

I just buy a big bag of fresh pre-washed spinach, kale and chard at the grocery and freeze the whole thing. It is re-sealable, I just grab a few handfuls everytime I make a smoothie. Best flavor is if used within one week.

Hi V,

Wohooo! We love having plenty of frozen greens on hand!

• Kerry says:

Yuck. The bagged stuff has been washed in chlorine, so watch out if you have a sensitive stomach. And then, there is the matter of the plastic. If one cares enough for their health to eat greens, one should also look at environmental impact of the choices out there. Go organic and fresh.

13. Barbara says:

I have used frozen kale in smoothies for years, but I have steamed it with a little water and then blended it and frozen in ice cube trays . After they are frozen I put them in a Baggie in my freezer and use a couple in each batch. Yes, I remove the center stem. Now I am adding collards into the mixture. But I always thought they should be cooked before freezing?

Hi Barbara,

It’s definitely a personal preference. We prefer to freeze our greens raw!

14. Pat says:

CAN ONE USE CANNED PINEAPPLE?

Hi Pat,

Great question! You can definitely reach for canned pineapple, but it’s important to realize that canned pineapple does come with additional sugar, even those stored in their own juice. That’s why we prefer to reach for fresh or frozen fruits.

15. Pat says:

I HAVE BEEN USING THE SMOOTHIESFOR A MONTH AND HAVEN’T LOST MUCH WIGHT. hOW MUCH SHOULD I EXPECT TO LOSE IN A MONTH?

Hi Pat,

Thanks for reaching out! Everyone’s body is different, and while weight loss is not the #1 goal here at Simple Green Smoothies, it definitely can be a happy accident from adding green smoothies to your diet.

If you want to burn fat, you want to include plant-based smoothie ingredients that have the following weight loss effects:

-Jump start your digestion
      -Burn excess fat
      -Reduce and expel bad cholesterol
      -Provide energy for your cardiovascular system
      -Detox and hydrate your body
      -Promote healthy bowel movement
      -Decrease your appetite for processed foods and sugars

The Kiwi Berry Punch is a low-calorie, nutrient-dense smoothie recipe that combine the best fruits and veggies for an optimal approach to healthy weight loss.

The best part about a green smoothie–you can use a smoothie as a low-calorie meal replacement because they are full of fiber which keeps your body feeling fuller longer.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction in your weight loss journey. Please reach out with any questions!

16. dave says:

why not buy them frozen in the first place, much more space that way

Hi Dave,

While some members of our community rave about using frozen greens from the grocery aisle, we’ve experienced that they don’t always yield the tastiest results, and therefore we prefer to freeze our own.

We also love freezing our own greens to stock up when our favorite greens are on sale!

17. Laura says:

Have you ever used a 50/50 blend in your smoothies? It is made with spinach and spring mix. Also, are you able to freeze it?

Hi Laura,

YES! We love using a wide variety of leafy greens + blends. And you can freeze it too!

18. Maria Wandix says:

The instructions for freezing leafy greens say to wash first. Is this necessary with organic greens?

Hi Maria,

Great question! Even if your greens are organic we still suggest washing your greens before freezing or blending. Check out our tips for washing your greens here…

19. Rebecca says:

HI Tracy,

I second Audrey’s concerns (and her heart: love, strength, and healing your way!). Ensure/Boost are predominantly water, refined sugar, and corn syrup solids (which deplete nutrients) followed by a list of less-than-prime ingredients: canola and corn oils, artificial flavors, hydrolyzed soy protein, soy protein isolate…Please, please take some time to find more nutrient-dense, productive calories.

20. Tracy says:

I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer (meaning my breast cancer came back but has metastasized to my bones, liver, and lungs) about three weeks ago, so I’m going to start doing the green shakes/smoothies, about 32 ounces a day. Along with about three or four Ensure, Boost, or the generic equivalent per day, I’m thinking this will definitely help my immune system during my chemotherapy treatment, and also it will counteract the fatigue that happens because of treatment. I have no doubt at all that I’m going to feel as healthy as possible doing this, and that helps my mental state as well!

Hi Tracy,

Thank you so much for reaching out. We’re sending you a ton of love + healing vibes!! Green smoothies are a great way to boost your immune system and fuel your body. Check out one of our favorite immunity boosting recipes here…

Cheers to health, happiness + leafy greens!

• Audrey Gregis says:

Tracy,

My heart goes out to you. If you are using Ensure and/or Boost for protein, please, please, please find another protein powder. These drinks contain more sugar than protein. They are like eating a candy bar. Sugar feeds cancer. And, they contain soy protein (not good), artificial flavors, high sodium. They are junk food and I’m not sure why doctors recommend them?

• linda Natale says:

Hi Tracy, I was also recently diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. I just had surgery to remove it from the bone in my arm. I have been making green smoothies daily and they have made me feel much stronger. I add a TBSP of flax seed oil to mine which i’ve read is helpful to reduce tumors. I would love to communicate with you about my experiences so far. My email is [email protected] Please contact me. – Linda

• Martha S., MSHN says:

Tracy,

I agree with the rest, that there are better options for you than Ensure and Boost. Please try Rebecca Katz’s Magic Mineral Broth. It’s a little time consuming to prepare, but it is packed with incredible nutrients. I have recommended it to other cancer patients who have found it to be very helpful in maintaining their energy levels during and after chemo. http://www.rebeccakatz.com/magic-mineral-broth/

21. Joyce Armstrong says:

Hi. Love ur Site. Learning a lot. Love green smoothies. Only making them about a month, but totally hooked.
    Just got back from vacation. I read ur Comments on freezing smoothies. Decided to make and freeze night before we left. I was so disappointed. Each day they tasted worse and worse! I even put lemon juice to keep from separating. We were only gone 4 days. So disappointed.
    Only thing I can figure, is some partially defrosted in ice chest. Then I put them in freezer anyway. Could that be why? I did have 3 tablespoons of hemp seed in each. And I have a cheap blender that’s great, but not so on seeds.
    Normally, when they’re like slushies, I can’t really taste any seeds.
    Any thoughts?

Hi Joyce!

So sorry to hear about your smoothies! My guess is it could be do to the fact that they partially defrosted in the ice chest. Smoothies are on the list of foods you should never re-freeze :). This article may help!

22. Yi says:

Just wondering if its okay to freeze herbs. Such as cilantro or basil? If so, how? Also, what about arugula? Have you freeze them before or used them to make smoothie. Thank you!

Hi Yi!

You can totally freeze herbs :). I, personally, like to blend mine with water and pour into ice cube trays.

• Yi says:

What is a good ratio to use for cilantro/basil to water if I want to try your method? Also, have you tried freezing arugula to be used later in a smoothie?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

I use about 1/3 cup water or oil with 2 cups herbs. As for arugula, you can absolutely freeze it! That one I just freeze by itself, as opposed to freezing in ice cube trays :).

23. Ann says:

Hi, when freezing pre-make smoothies, do you freeze them in “canning jars”?

Hi Ann,

Freezing pre-blended green smoothies in mason jars is a great option! Just make sure the jars you are using are freezer safe!

24. Alex says:

Can you make a green smoothie and freeze it in ice tray? Is there a danger of oxidation? How long can you keep them frozen? Thanks.

Hi Alex,

You can definitely freeze your pre-blended green smoothies. We suggest storing them in an airtight-freezer safe container in your freezer for up 2-4 weeks. When you’re ready to enjoy simply thaw your smoothie in the refrigerator overnight. Do know that because our recipes are free of any yucky additives or stabilizers separation is completely natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying.

Hope this helps!

25. Rene says:

Can you use broccoli in smoothies? I have lots of it frozen in the freezer and i don’t eat it raw.

Hi Rene,

You definitely can!! We love blendin’ with broccoli, especially because it’s a calcium rawkstar! Do know that broccoli does have a stronger flavor, so it’s always a great idea to start small. We suggest substituting some of your leafy greens with broccoli’s green stalks, and adding more from there!

26. melissa says:

how many grams of frozen spinach should I use per serving?

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for reaching out! 2 cups of fresh greens equals 1 ½ cups of frozen greens, which is about 60 grams!

27. June says:

Can i also freeze my veggies this way for normal cooking?

Hi June,

You can definitely freeze your veggies! When freezing veggies a great option is cutting up your veggies, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in the freezer. Once frozen place in a ziploc or freezer safe container. This will help prevent your veggies from freezing together. (This works for fruit too!!)

Hope this helps!

28. owen says:

can you make a smoothie using raw beetroot spinach garlic ginger almonds fruit then freeze without losing any goodness

Hi Owen,

Of course! You can definitely freeze your pre-blended green smoothie, they’ll keep for up to 2-3 months. Simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight when you’re ready to enjoy. And just a quick note: separation is completely natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying!

• Helen says:

Hi Owen,
        I recently had foot surgery on both my feet and knowing that I was going to be totally off my feet for nearly 2 weeks and dependent on my husband, knowing also that he wasn’t going to be able to make my smoothies I prepped 16 Smoothies & froze them, all I had to do was stir them. I chose my 4 favs and made 4 of each, labeled them and had them in rotation. Good luck

29. Angela Zeis says:

Do you pack the greens ? 2c packed or loose ?? 🙂

Hi Angela,

Thanks for reaching out! We definitely tightly pack our greens when measuring. Then again, we can never get enough! 🙂

30. Stephenie says:

love the site! it has only been 5 days for me on green smoothies and i can already feel the difference in my energy level, as well as seeing my blood sugar morning test is lower and through the day testing is more stable.
    question on spinning the greens dry, do you have any recommendations on salad spinners?
    i tried just patting dry, but 3 lbs of spinach did not dry well and began wilting/sliming within a day 🙁
    thank you!!!

Hi Stephanie,

YAY! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! Good Housekeeping put together a great review on their favorite salad spinners. Check it out here!

31. Jen says:

Hi! I’ve read on other websites that blanching greens before freezing is a must, what are your thoughts on this? And how would you blanch kale anyhow?

• Janet S. says:

I think that blanching is only if you plan to cook the greens later. If using greens for a smoothie, you’re pureeing them anyway so it’s not necessary.

Hi Jen,

Thanks for reaching out. We’re all about freezing our leafy greens raw. That way there’s no loss in nutritional benefits and they make a delicious chilly green smoothie.

Cheers:)

Hi Jen,

Thanks for reaching out! We prefer to enjoy our leafy greens raw, keeping them in their most natural state + packed with nutrients! 🙂

32. Pat says:

Would like to thank both of you for this exceptionally well put together website along with the content which is second to none! I have just printed the recipe cards for the 30 day Green Smoothie Challenge and have also read your various suggestions regarding preparing and storing the greens. You have such practical, sensible ideas!! And these recipes are so doable!!! And the quantities are just right for those of us who live alone.
    There aren’t enough good things one can say about this website!!

Luv luv the suggestion to freeze the fresh greens in packages for one week or two at a time. This allows me to buy the bigger organic fresh greens at Costco and use ‘all’ of the bag!

Thank you for all which you do! I am looking forward for the first time in my life to consume the recommended daily greens in a manner which has tremendous appeal!!

Hi Pat,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out and share your green smoothie love! We are so lucky to have you as part of our SGS Tribe, keep us updated throughout your 30-Day Challenge!

33. sally says:

Hi Simplegreen team, can you please tell me whether you steam or boil your raw greens before eating/blending them? Research would suggest it is best to, what do you think?

Many thanks from the UK, England,
    Sally

Hi Sally,

Thanks for reaching out! We’re all about raw leafy greens! Concerned about oxalate buildup? Check out our post on the importance of rotating your leafy greens here…

34. Nan says:

I saw someone else mention ice cubes. For my first smoothies I tried to use up some ingredients on hand. I had a huge can of pineapple juice. I used some for a couple of days then poured the rest in ice trays. Now I’m going to try with other juices.

35. Lavender says:

Hi,

I’m doing the Jan 30-day smoothie challenge and decided to be really organised and prepare all my fruit and veg for a week and pop into freezers bags in the freezer so I only need to blitz up in the morning. I took out this mornings bag last night and popped in the fridge to thaw when I’ve gone to blitz this morning the spinach had a weird bitter smell which has tainted the smoothie. The previous day i tried taking out on the day and thawing for a few minutes but I ended up with a slushie and needed to add a lot more liquid. What can I do to avoid this?

Hi Lavender,

Thanks for reaching out. We suggest allowing your freezer packs to sit on the counter for a few minutes prior to blending. Because all of your ingredients are frozen, you may need to add additional liquid base to ensure everything blends smoothly.

Hope this helps!

36. Alex says:

Hello,

When using kale for smoothies I remove the stem as it is bitter. I am planning to do the same with chard. Am I missing out when I discard the stems? Thanks.

37. Dana says:

First of all, just let me say that I absolutely love your book! It is perfectly well illustrated. I was wondering, when it comes to freezing the greens with the fruit for your smoothies, do you need to thaw them before use? I know you mentioned in your book that it’s best to let the fruit thaw some before blending to get the most flavor and to also so it’s not so hard on the blade.
    Thanks!

Hi Dana,

Thank you so much for sharing the leafy love! When prepping your green smoothies by making frozen smoothie packs we suggest allowing your packs to sit on the counter for a few minutes to thaw slightly. This will allow all of your ingredients to empty into your blender easily + allow everything to blend smoothly. Hope this helps answer your question!

38. Stephanie says:

yes,I hear that you can freeze veggie in ice cube so will that be ok to do.Just put the cube in the blender with your fruit and mix it .

Hi Stephanie,

Stocking our freezers full of green smoothie cubes allows us to get quick and creative with our recipes and also saves our ingredients from spoiling. So it’s a win-win for us and hopefully for you, too. We don’t typically recommend adding ice to your smoothies because it dulls your blender blades and also causes the motor to work extra hard, but this leafy green ice cube recipe are the exception to the rule for us.

Never run out of leafy greens with this tip! Blend 2 cups leafy greens with 1⁄2 cup liquid base and freeze in ice cube trays. Store in a freezer-proof container until ready to use.

Hope this helps!!

39. Charmaine says:

Hi Simplegreen, love this website, it’s great for me as a beginner.
    I buy freshly washed bagged kale and spinach from the supermarket. Can I divide them into portions, bag them and freeze them straight away?

Hi Charmaine,

We love freezing our leafy greens! When purchasing pre-washed greens, we still suggest giving them a quick wash at home prior to freezing.

Hope this helps!

40. Jhiga says:

I always thought we should blanch our veggies (and some fruit?) prior to freezing. It’s not necessary?

Hi Jhiga,

We love freezing our veggies + fruit raw. It keeps them fresh (packed with nutrients) + perfect for blending!

41. Regina says:

Why and I getting ice in my freezer bags? Will the fruit still be good to eat?

Hi Regina,

Finding ice in your freezer bags? Frost is naturally occurring + will not affect the taste or nutrition of your green smoothies! Finding more than a little frost? Make sure and pat your ingredients dry prior to freezing!

42. Regina says:

How long will the leafy green last in the freezer?

Hi Regina,

Leafy greens will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.

43. Jo says:

Only recently started blending but already got a dedicated freezer drawer full of fruit and then just getting fresh leaves and using different fruit mix each day. Mango is great puréed and frozen in ice cube tray and pomegranate freezes well too as can just stick a handful in when wanted

Hi Jo,

Looks like you’re a rawkstar already! Prepping is our #1 key to success, way to go! 🙂

44. Carla says:

Hi,
    My tip, 2 ice trays, 6 avocados, Pam – lightly spray ice trays, mash avocados, freeze -pop out and place in ziplock bag. 1 avocado ice cube in a smoothie a day!

Hi Carla,

I love that idea! Going to try it today! Thank you so much for sharing.

45. Mette says:

Thank you so much for sharing all your green wisdom and advices, to the world.
    Do you know if its possible to buy Vitamix in Denmark??

Hi Mette,

Thank you so much for reaching out! Yes, Vitamix ships to Denmark! Here’s the link to their Denmark customer service department…

46. Diana says:

smoothie hack: when bananas look like they aren’t going to make it through your week of smoothies, slice them up and lay them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for an hour then place in a large freezer bag and store in the freezer. use as needed for your smoothies…just be sure to count how many slices of banana equals the serving you need i.e. 6 slices equals half a banana.

47. Jo says:

Quick question …… when your smoothie recipes ask for “two cups spinach” do you mean tightly packed into the measuring cup?

Hi Jo,

Thanks for reaching out! Yes, we suggest tightly pack your leafy greens when measuring them for your green smoothies! We personally think more leafy greens the better!

• SGS Rawkstar says:

You’re so welcome! Thanks for blendin’ with us, Jo!

48. Chris says:

I just prepped my spinach to freeze! One of the wonderful outcomes of this challenge is no more wasted spinach. I’ll be freezing in season fruit, too, so maybe I’ll prep my smoothies.Thank you!

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Rawesome, Chris! We’re so excited to have you as part of our 30-Day Challenge!

49. Trish says:

Good early morning. Thanks for all the information and I will be joining soon. Have a great day. God bless you all.

Hi Trish,

We’re so excited to have you join us! Reach out with any questions! And if you’re new to green smoothie, try our “Beginner’s Luck”, it’s the perfect recipe to start with!

50. Dianne says:

If you buy pre-washed greens, can you just put the unopened bag in the freezer?

Hi Dianne,

Of course, it’s all about your personal preference. I love my greens to be squeaky clean prior to freezing, so I would still give them a quick wash.

51. Carlotta says:

I make spinach cubes.
    I blend the whole box of spinach with water and freeze it in ice cube trays.
    Extra cold smoothies!

Hi Carlotta,

Great idea! We’ve heard this method a lot from our community, and are so happy to hear it makes blendin’ easier for so many! Thanks for sharing.

52. Mary says:

I use frozen bananas too! I like the smoothies nice and cold!

Hi Mary,

Perfect! Frozen bananas are a great way to make your smoothie thick, creamy, + chilly! 🙂

53. Terri says:

I always thought you had to first lay the greens out on a cookie sheet in the freezer to freeze not in one big clump and THEN put in baggies. No?

Hi Terri,

I used to think the same! You’ll be surprised how well leafy greens freeze using the above method. Try it out and let us know what you think!

54. Amy says:

Hi,
    I would like to know if we freeze swiss chard raw for the smoothies? thanks.

55. emy says:

Thank you for sharing this great idea, I no longer wasting my greens.

Hi Emy,

We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed our blog post! Keep blendin’ + freezing those leafy greens! 🙂

56. Morgan says:

Thank you! I definitely will be using this method.

57. Nayna says:

Thank you for the awesome tip! Xoxo

58. Mary Ellen says:

I use them frozen in my soups as well! Spinach and kale will cook beautifully in a broth based soup.

59. Kendra says:

I tried blending them and putting them into ice cube trays. I will let you all know how that works but the cubes are nice and bright green so I know all the good stuff is still in there.

Hi Kendra,

Blendin’ your leafy greens + storing them in ice cube trays is a great idea! Let us know how you enjoy blendin’ your first smoothie with them!

60. Ann says:

So glad to hear this. I’ve had to toss way too many greens that went bad. No more! 🙂

Hi Ann,

By freezing any additional fruit + leafy greens – you’ll find that you produce less waste and it’s much better for your wallet!

61. Nikki says:

Thanks for the tip! We buy in bulk, but have never bought big bags of greens. Now I will try that. Since i halve your recipes just for me, I like to use half a banana and freeze the other half in my frozen fruit bags. Sometimes i pre package my smoothies, but Im not always ahead of the game 😉

Hi Nikki,

We love buying in bulk! It’s a great way to stock up, + it’s often easier on the wallet. Let us know how freezing your leafy greens works for you!

62. Karen says:

Wow! Thanks for sharing this tip. I always freeze bananas and other fruit for our smoothies. I hated throwing out the greens. I can’t even count how many half used containers of spinach I have pitched. This tip made hubby happy too!

Hi Karen,

We’re so happy we could provide helpful information! We hate seeing delicious + healthy leafy greens go to waste.

63. Carlette says:

When freezing green veggies,do they lose any of their nutritional value?

• Mary Ellen says:

Like any fruit or vegetable, they will lose some value. But spinach and kale are SO rich in folate and other nutrients that it is far better to freezer and eat then to have never have eaten at all.

Hi Carlette,

I would try to give you an answer, but I don’t think I could have said it better than Mary Ellen!

64. Ruth says:

Could I blend the greens up good with a little water and freeze in Ice cube trays? Freezer bag the cubes. Then just pop three or four cubes in the smoothie.

Hi Ruth,

Of course you can! We’ve heard a lot of our SGS community do the same thing, whether it’s ice cube trays or muffin tins.

65. Cassandra says:

Sometimes I buy those 16oz plastic boxes of washed greens, and would often waste like 1/3 of the box to spoilage! I mentioned freezing them and my husband, being the manly man he is lol, just chunked the whole box in the freezer without doing anything at all. It actually worked just fine, the leaves were easy to grab handfuls of. So don’t feel the need, be lazy if you want! 😀
    Although for long term storage, removing the air and sealing better is a good idea.

Hi Cassandra,

I’m guilty of doing the same thing! We support any method of keeping good greens from going bad. This just happens to be our favorite method, and what we found works best for long-term storage.

Cheers,
      Rawkstar Amanda

66. Mimi faizah says:

You really save my days of wastage of bad green day☺️☺️☺️☺️. Was thinking on how to save my greens since i luv having kale in my end-of-month diet (reason Kale is pricey where i stay). At least i could buy them in a large quantities and freeze them well with my fruits. Thanx a bunch for this grat tips

67. Yasmin says:

I love freezing my greens! I found it really helpful to let frozen greens sit in the water or whatever liquid being used for a few minutes to let it thaw out a bit (particularly kale). When I didn’t do that I found it harder to blend the greens smooth and had more chunks of green in the end.

68. Mary says:

That was a waste of time–where did my comments go?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

So sorry that you experienced an issue trying to comment- we hope everything worked out Mary!

69. Mary says:

I wash and break up the kale, put a cup of it in a container with water to cover and freeze it., Take it out of the freezer and put in the frig overnight, then dump it in the blender in the morning. Works great.

I also freeze spinach and put it in the empty frozen fruit bags that I save for this purpose.

Sure cuts down on wasted greens.

Hi Mary,

What a great idea! We absolutely love our greens and hate to see them go to waste. And it sounds like that tip can help streamline blendin’ your morning smoothie 🙂

Rawk on!

70. Theresa says:

Hey gang 🙂 Too funny… When I was hunting for kale tips a few weeks back (and luckily found your fantastic website), I just assumed to freeze the greens, too. Made perfect sense to have anything you can freeze, frozen. My reasoning was the idea of not having to find out you’d run out of ice cubes! Freezing everything (after a decent wash of course) makes putting together one or two green smoothies a day a breeze! BTW we are loving them and I’m looking forward to July 1st 🙂

Hi Theresa,

There you are!! We’ve been waiting for you to find us 🙂 We love freezing greens, fruits, and vegetables for nice, cold smoothies! Can’t wait for that July challenge to start! Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe?

71. Lisa says:

Excellent suggestion on freezing greens. This has saved me many times. I have a question though, If you put the greens in ice cubes, how many cubes do u use for two cups of greens? Thanks in advance.

Hi Lisa,

We love saving our greens! If you’d like to freeze green ice cubes, try blendin’ water and greens at a 1:1 ratio. Try blendin’ 1 cup of greens with 1 cup of water, and pouring that in your ice tray! Let us know how that works out 🙂

72. Tara F says:

This is an awesome idea about freezing greens. Now that I think about it back in the day when my mom and grandmother use to buy a lot of fresh collard greens and they were not going to cook them all in one sitting they would freeze them after they cleaned them. They wasn’t making smoothies but making fresh greens to cook. I am going to start doing this. I was wasting money buying all the spinach and greens and not using them fast enough they would go bad so I am going to take advantage of this. What about other vegetables like beets,cilantra, mint leaves, parsley and cucumbers? Just as long as you are only going to use them in your smoothie?

Hey Tara!

Great story 🙂 My grandmother freezes everything too! Freezing fruits and veggies is a great option when buying in bulk. We freeze the fruits and veggies usually by cutting them into small pieces, placing them in airtight bags, and putting them in the freezer. Cutting your beets and cucumbers up will help lock in the taste!

SGS Rawkstar Meghan

73. Kathy says:

I usually buy bags of fresh greens at Costco (current personal favorite is Power Deep Green Blend) and after a couple days I throw the entire bag in the freezer. Once it’s frozen, I break up the leaves and its takes up no space at all! Then instead of measuring, I use my digital kitchen scale and weigh out the greens right into the blender jar! I max out at about 80 grams before it impacts flavour. I find the frozen greens break down way better.

74. Lorian Rivers says:

I’ve lost too many greens…this is a great idea!

Question, how do you measure 2 cups of greens? Do you pack it down until they fit. Or just add pieces until it’s filled?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Great question Lorian! We measure our greens by tightly packing them down in our measuring cup. Please don’t hesitate to ask any other questions 🙂

75. Lois says:

From the very beginning that I started having Green Smoothies, I have portioned out & froze my greens!!
    I use fresh bananas until they start turning brown then they go in the freezer.
    I also use only frozen fruit, especially in the winter because fruit is so expensive then, but in the summer it’s off the the fields to pick strawberries and raspberries, & the farmers market to get the other fruits. But I do like using frozen fruit in the summer because it makes my smoothies thick & cold!!! Yum yum love my Green Smoothies!!

Hi Lois,

A nice cold green smoothie sounds great in this summer heat! Have you tried making smoothie pops yet? They’re so delicious!! 🙂

76. Ricardo says:

For a smoother presentation of your smoothies you can also extract the liquid out of the greens (with a slow juicer) and freeze them into ice cubes. Then when you need to make a smoothie just pour the green cubes and blend. It also helps you to save on ice.

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for the idea! Have you tried blending greens and water at a 1:1 ratio, and freezing that as cubes? Rawk on 🙂

77. Austin says:

I purchase greens fresh in large tubs and freeze. Later, I use a sharp knife to cut the frozen greens into useable cubes. I recently used an empty tub to pack fresh lettuce from the garden and freeze it and cut into frozen cubes.

Hi Austin,

What a rawsome idea 🙂 What kind of greens do you grow? Fresh and home grown is the best!

78. Helen Gross says:

I no longer purchase fresh greens, too much waste. I buy frozen cut spinach, and kale, plus frozen blueberries, mangos and peaches. Works good for me.

Hi Helen!

Glad you’re saving some greens! We hate to see them go to waste!! Do you have a favorite blueberry smoothie recipe? 🙂 We’d love to try it out! Rawk on!!

79. JJ says:

Great article! We should encourage people to use reusable containers over one-use disposable plastic bags though… Or just use the ice cube trick that many suggested above!

Hi JJ,

Thanks for being so green! Plastic bags like the ones shown above can be reused to freeze the same ingredients over and over again. We should definitely switch over to something a little hardier and longer lasting though! Great call 🙂

80. Megan says:

I lightly steam my Kale and Spinach, and freeze in ice cube trays. It is super easy to throw a couple green cubes in my smoothies, or in soups, or sauces.

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Green cubes are rawesome! Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe? We’d love to try it out 🙂

81. Angela (@MoveOverMS) says:

I do this regularly. In fact, I purchase large volumes of greens while they’re on sale because I know I’m going to freeze them for smoothies. The same with fruit, because I can make up smoothie bags that are ready to add to the blender with water when I need to make a batch. Love that this enables me to save money, time, and energy daily!!

Also, when I purchase carrots and beets, I get them with tops and use them, too, in my smoothies.

Hi Angela!

Smoothie bags are a great way to spend more time sipping and less time fretting over wasted food and money! You rawk 🙂

82. Laurie says:

Thanks for this money-saving tip! Nothing makes me more angry (at myself!) than finding slimy greens that I’ve let go to waste. I’ve had success with blending them ahead of time with some water and then putting the resulting “smoothie” in ice cube trays. Then I have ready-to-blend frozen chunks of greens to instantly cool down and thicken any smoothie

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Rawesome idea Laurie! Making those ice cubes is the perfect way to save greens- both leafy and paper 🙂

83. Kat says:

To save space in the freezer, I use my food processor to finely cut up the greens and then place them in a plastic bag. As long as they are dry when placing in the bag, all you have to do is rap the unopened bag on the counter to break into usable chunks and you are good to go. When you do this the first time, put as much as you like to use in your smoothie in the food processor, give it a whirl, and then see what the amount you generally use looks like in the broken down form. I also like that it is one more frozen item to help make my morning smoothie as cold as can be!

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Oooh this sounds like the perfect way to make an ice cold smoothie! Have you tried blendin’ our smoothie pops yet? You’ll love them 🙂

84. Carly @ FitLiving Blog says:

Thank you for these tips! I have frozen greens in the past, but wasn’t sure if I was doing it the right way. I hate having to throw away old greens and this is the perfect solution!

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Carly, we hate throwing out old greens too!! We’re happy to help 🙂 Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe?

85. Belinda says:

Thank you thank you thank you!!
    Just threw out a half used container of spinach this morning.

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Oh no! RIP spinach 🙁 Hopefully you won’t have to throw out any more greens!! Cheers Belinda!

86. Tonya says:

Been freezing Spinach for months now. The best way to save time and ensure a refreshing cold smoothie!!

• SGS Rawkstar says:

We think so too! A good cold smoothie sound perfect in this summer heat 🙂 Have you tried any of our amazing smoothie pops yet? They’re delicious!!

87. Cheryl says:

Hey guys, thanks for the tip of freezing my greens! God only knows how much I’ve wasted over time. Love the tip!!!!!

88. Wendy says:

For some crazy reason, I never seriously considered freeze greens. And here I was constantly throwing away plastic containers of spinach and wasting so much food and so much money.

I was always under the impression that when you freeze anything you are depleting the nutrients in it. But, come to think of it, how much gets depleted if it’s only in the freezer for a few days or a week?

Thank you for this tip!

Wendy,

The nutrient loss associated with freezing vegetables is actually due to the blanching process of boiling before freezing. If you’re not blanching, freezing is actually a great way to preserve the phytonutrients, texture and flavor of your favorite greens, vegetables and fruits! Rawk on!

89. Kerrey L says:

When you use frozen greens are you suppose to thaw them first or just put them straight in the smoothie?
    I use frozen fruits mostly, will using frozen greens make the smoothie too thick? If so do I just add some more liquid to it?

• Tonya says:

Hi Kerrey,

Noooo.. Don’t unthaw them. Just pop them right in with the other frozen fruits.

Hi Kerrey,

You don’t need to thaw your greens before blendin’! Blend your frozen greens with your liquid first, then if you find it’s too thick, add a little extra liquid. Cheers!

90. Jan S. says:

Thank you SO much. I’m glad to know about this–I end up tossing out so many greens because meal plans/smoothie plans change often. Great help for this expensive annoying problem.

Hi Jan,

It’s amazing to find such simple solutions to annoying problems like soggy, rotten greens! If you have any questions or problems, feel free to reach out 🙂

91. Chelsea says:

I can’t believe I didn’t think of this! Soggy spinach is the worst! Thanks for the tip 🙂

92. Anne says:

We regularly use the organic baby spinach and kale that comes in the plastic boxes. I don’t wash it before I put it in our smoothies, do I need to wash or use the vinegar wash as part of prepping them for freezing? Or can I just measure it right into the bag?

Thanks, this is going to reduce so much waste in our house! I’m tryiing to get me and the kids to have at least one smoothie a day and greens going bad has been very frustrating. So glad I saw this!

• Tracie Shroyer says:

You shouldn’t need to wash it. Spinach in particular has to be washed many, many times to get rid of the sand. Nothing about freezing requires washing first unless the greens are dirty. I throw whole bags of greens straight into the freezer.

Hi Anne,

The white vinegar rinse removes any pesticide residue that can linger on your greens even after primary and secondary washes. Organic produce can still have ‘organic’ or natural pesticides and chemicals on them, so a quick white vinegar wash is always a good idea!

We’re so happy that you’re giving green smoothies to your little rawkstars!! Do your kids have a favorite smoothie? 🙂

93. Ashley says:

I actually do big batches of greens whirled in the blender with some water or coconut water and pour into ice cube trays. Then it’s all frosty for smoothies and pre blended so I don’t risk chunkiness.

94. Christine says:

I’ve been doing the ice cube tray hack as well, it has been working out great!

Hi Christine!

So glad you found a smoothie hack that works for you 🙂 Do you have a favorite recipe?

95. Cam says:

Thanks so much for this rawsome tip! You just saved me lots of greens/money!

96. twodiffsocks says:

Hi Y’all
    Why not just use frozen greens fromm the freezer section of your local grocery store? I realize that some green might not be available, semi-thaw to get a chunk off & use. Works for me

Hey Twodiffsocks,

Frozen greens are great!! I love getting frozen kale at Trader Joe’s. And I love the prices too 🙂

SGS Rawkstar Meghan

97. April says:

Another option that works for me: If I know my leafy greens will start going bad before think i’ll be able to use them all up, I will toss them in my Ninja with a small bit of whatever liquid I normally use for my smoothies. Once they’ve been blended down into a thick liquid, I’ll fill up an ice cube tray with the mixture and freeze the greens into cubes. I’ll store cubes in a large ziploc and then then pull out 4 or 5 and use in place of ice in my morning smoothie. Or, if I am not using ice, I’ll let the cubes thaw over night in the fridge.

98. Teresa says:

Rawesome!! Simply Rawesome!!!

99. Rob J says:

So simple I can’t believe I did not think of this. I freeze ripe bananas, and berries and end up throwing out kale and spinach. Glad I joined your site this week!

Hi Rob!

So happy that you found us! Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe yet? 🙂 Rawk on!

100. Stephanie says:

This just changed my life.

Hi Stephanie,

RAWESOME! We love freezing our leafy greens! It’s a great way to stock up on your favorite greens when their in season or even better on sale!

What’s your favorite leafy green?

1 2

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE