Recently, I stumbled across an article that talked about toothpaste ingredients and the issues they can actually cause rather than prevent— and it startled me. So I did more research and found more chemicals in toothpaste that I didn’t like.
Two ingredients that have some pretty bad wrap are:
1. Glycerin: It gives toothpaste a nice creamy texture and coats the teeth for “protection”, but at the same time it also stops re-enamalization (so cavities can’t self-heal.)
2. Sodium flouride: A by-product of aluminum manufacturing that is found in rat poisons and industrial pesticides).
Scary stuff, huh? Well, rather than freak out about it every time I brush my teeth, I decided to make my own. And yes— I threw in some wonderful coconut oil.
I am thrilled to have found a replacement that I actually enjoy using and have fun making. I like that I can tweak the recipe depending on my personal preference at the time (sweeter, minty, fruity, etc— it’s all about what essential oils I put in it). I’ve made a batch with grapefruit oil and it has a citrus-tang to it, which was refreshing for the summer. Now I am using eucalyptus oil and I love the minty taste.
Clean those pearly whites with this yummy and healthy coconut oil toothpaste.
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 tbsp baking soda
- 25 drops essential oil (whatever you prefer— I like eucalyptus and grapefruit)
- 1 tsp stevia (or more if you like it sweeter)
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. I used my SmartStick to whip it really well and give it a light creamy texture.
- Pour into a mason jar and seal it up until ready to use.
Getting it out of the mason jar can be an adjustment. Use a popsicle stick to dip into the toothpaste and spread nicely onto the toothbrush. You can also use a squirt bottle (you will need to cut the pointed tip wider).
More uses for Coconut Oil:
I use coconut oil on my face, for baking muffins, deep conditioning treatments, and so much more. Not sure where to buy it? I have a few places I recommend based on budget, level of interest and my own personal experience. You can read all about it here.