Prepare to have the first bite of our Teriyaki Veggie Bowls transport you to a Hawaiian vacation with palm trees swaying, waves crashing and pineapple growing like weeds. At least that what I think of when I made this the very first time.
Between the coconut rice, the grilled veggies and the sweet pineapple there is not way this veggie bowl will be left uneaten. Kids, husbands and more will devour this nutrient packed bowl before I can say Plant Power! Depending on how adventurous your family is you can remove the crushed peppers and keep it more mild— yet I like to kick up the heat.
This recipe is just one of the 20 vegetarian recipes from our Let’s Eat Summer Meal Plan. To help solve the question of “what’s for dinner” I’ve created a 4-week family-friendly meal plan, with a weekly shopping list, prep guide and simple recipes you can make it under 30 minutes. This has been a sanity savor in my house during the summer fun… and my desire to still eat well in between the ice cream sandwiches and snow cones.
Say hello to summer with these Hawaiian veggie bowls! Roasted vegetables over coconut rice make for a quick and nutrient dense meal that the whole family will love.
- Coconut oil, for greasing pan
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into 1” chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1” chunks
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1⁄2 cup green onions, thinly sliced, for serving
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 14 ounce can light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a 4-quart pan with tight-fitting lid, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the rice to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly to toast the rice until the grains are opaque.
- Lower heat, as needed, to prevent rice from burning or browning.
- Add the coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, and cover pan with the lid.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, then remove from the heat. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- While rice is cooking, preheat oven broiler to high. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with oil. Set aside.
- Combine soy sauce, honey, ginger, and garlic. Place the broccoli, onion, and red bell pepper in a bowl.
- Toss with half of the sauce, saving the other half to drizzle on bowl when serving.
- Place the veggies on the prepared baking sheet. Broil for 5-7 minutes, or until they start to brown on the edges and the broccoli is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Remove from oven.
- Divide the coconut rice between four bowls and top with an equal amount of roasted veggies, 1⁄2 cup each of fresh pineapple, and a sprinkle of green onions. Drizzle with a little of the remaining teriyaki sauce and eat while hot.
Keywords: veggie bowls, veggie bowl, teriyaki bowl, veggie bowl recipe
So… what do you think?
Let me know how you’re feeling about this new recipe in the comments below. If you like it, we can make more renditions of veggie bowls! If not, let me know what you want. Together, we are Simple Green Smoothies.