This simple vegan coleslaw has become a staple dish at Hansard Farm.
I love BBQ’s and the opportunity to get outside with friends and neighbors. If I lived by family, they’d be here too. 🙂
As easy as it may be to run to the deli and grab a pre-made something, I know that isn’t the best choice. It gets old— and I never feel great after eating a mayonnaise-coated dish. It was time to bring in a new dish to these BBQs and happily go for seconds! This vegan coleslaw works great as a topping for tacos and veggie bowls.
Vegan coleslaw dressing
Coleslaw is traditionally made using mayonnaise, which is typically a highly processed ingredient made with eggs. You can easily swap this with a homemade cashew cream that is made with simple cashews. You soak the cashews to create a creamy dressing for the coleslaw. Then you combine with a variety of seasonings and fresh vegetables to create a crunchy zesty side dish.
This dish is from my new book, Simple Green Meals. It’s a protein-packed, nutrient-dense side dish without any of the artificial ingredients or refined oils. It’s time to make the next BBQ nourishing and fuel you for hours!
What to eat with coleslaw?
This Simple Vegan Coleslaw is the perfect side dish for grilling out, a topping for the Sweet Potato Zoodles or making ahead and eating for lunches a quick snack during the week. It’s super versatile!Print
I’ve always been a coleslaw lover but struggled these last few years as I’ve moved away from mayonnaise and most processed foods. This plant-based rendition has an amazing crunch and a sweet and creamy bite that tastes even better than traditional coleslaw to me, and it’s perfect for the Austinite Tacos.
Cashew-Garlic Aioli Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 head napa cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1⁄4 cup shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup Cashew-Garlic Aioli Sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
Cashew-Garlic Aioli Sauce
- Place the cashews in a medium bowl and pour 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice over the top. Add enough water to cover by a few inches. Let soak for 2 hours, then drain and rinse well.
- In a blender, combine the cashews, garlic, mustard, salt, and the remaining 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Pulse a few times, then blend on low. If needed, add a few tablespoons water. The mixture should be thick and creamy, sorta like mayonnaise (as much as I struggle with that visual). Taste and add more salt or lemon juice as desired.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate. This keeps well up to 1 week in the fridge or up to several months in the freezer.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cabbage and carrots.
- Add the Garlic Aioli, vinegar, coconut sugar, and salt.
- Toss until well combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
GLUTEN FREE, NUT FREE (replace the aioli with 1⁄2 cup vegan mayo), VEGAN, DAIRY FREE
Keywords: vegan coleslaw, coleslaw without mayonnaise
By: Jen Hansard | Updated: 8.23.2018 | COMMENTS: 19