This spinach orange smoothie is a wellness gem with a little punch. It’s refreshing and filling all at once—making it a great meal replacement or post workout hydrator. Feel free to add a scoop of plant-based protein powder to boost it all the way.
Health Benefits of a Spinach Orange Smoothie
One of the top reasons to drink smoothies is to quickly consume nutrients. smoothie has got a lot of nutrients in it including:
- Iron and vitamin A from the spinach. Need more iron? Check out this post where I share my journey with anemia.
- Electrolytes from the coconut water: Can also use electrolyte smoothie cubes.
- Vitamin C and fiber from the lemon and orange: Add more fiber by embracing a plant-based diet.
- Potassium and even more fiber from the banana: Banana also adds creaminess to this orange smoothie
To Peel or Not To Peel Citrus
Peeling citrus fruit is the most common way of consuming them. Both the rind and pith (the white part between the fruit and the rind) are super bitter so it can be tempting to eliminate them ASAP. But hold up! You might actually wanna blend some of it into our orange smoothie.
Health benefits of orange peel
The rind of citrus fruits contain powerful antioxidant, bioflavonoids, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and a phytochemical called “limonene” which is being studied in cancer prevention and indigestion.
Orange peels specifically contain calcium, copper, magnesium, vitamin A, folate and other B vitamins and dietary fiber. As a general rule, if you decide to eat the peel of your fruits and vegetables, give them a good wash and scrub to remove dirt or other things. Choose organic whenever possible.
How much Vitamin C is in an orange?
One orange has bout 75 mg of Vitamin C, which can help boost your immune system and help your body fight infection. According to The National institute of Health, adult women only need about 75 mg a day.
To get the most vitamin C out of an orange easily, I like to cut the peel off so I can control how much of the pith I keep on the fruit. The pith has the highest amount of vitamin c.
If you’re digging this orange smoothie recipe, check out these other recipes using citrus:
Spinach Orange Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup coconut water
- 1/2 lemon - peeled
- 1/2 banana
- 1 orange - peeled
- 1 serving Protein Smoothie Boost - optional
- Peel and slice oranges to help blend easier.
- Blend spinach, coconut water, and orange together until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend again.
- Use frozen fruit to make smoothie cold.