Mmm…vegetable barley soup! You don’t have to wait for the weather to turn cold to simmer up a pot of this tasty vegetarian classic. It’s full of flavor, veggies, and love to fill your belly!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking pearl barley (see recipe notes)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stockpot set over medium high heat until shimmering. Add the carrots, celery, and onion and saute for 5-10 minutes, or until onions start to soften.
- Add the garlic and pearl barley. Cook, stirring constantly, to lightly toast the barley, for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and continue sauteing. The mushrooms will start to release their liquid.
- Add the broth or water, dried herbs, and bay leaf, and stir well. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Add the undrained diced tomatoes to the pot. Season well with salt and pepper. Raise heat again and continue cooking for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until barley and vegetables are tender. Add the peas and continue simmering a few more minutes.
- Just before serving, remove the bay leaf, stir in chopped leafy greens and allow them to wilt in the residual heat. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
- Regular (i.e. not quick-cooking) barley can be used. Add an extra 20 minutes of initial simmering time.
- To make gluten-free, swap the barley with quinoa.
Keywords: barley soup, vegetable barley soup, vegetarian barley soup, vegan barley soup, mushroom barley soup