This vegan taco meat is a great plant-based option to boost your protein and still get your taco fix. Works great in any mexican dish by swapping out traditional “taco meat” with this recipe.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Place walnuts in medium bowl, add 2 teaspoon lemon juice and enough water to cover.
- Let soak overnight for at least 8 hours. If you don’t have that much time, you can do flash soaking (see notes below)
- Drain and rinse well. Place the drained walnuts, tamari, and spices into a food processor.
- Pulse until the walnuts are chopped and look like ground (minced) meat.
- Taste and add more spices if desired.
- Store in airtight container until ready to assemble tacos.
Flash soaking nuts: boil 2 cups of water and pour over walnuts with a squeeze of lemon juice. Allow to soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour and continue making the recipe. Please note that flash soaking does destroy some of the nutrients in the walnuts.
- Category: meals
- Method: Soak
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan taco meat