TAKE THE SMOOTHIE QUIZ

START NOW

Let us help you decide what to blend today

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

The ultimate green smoothie prep tip busy people use

perp

Smoothie meal prepping is a great way to save time and have enough smoothies on hand for a week or even a month. There are many ways to speed up the process, yet two of the best ways we have found are Ziploc bags and mason jars. Both ways work well and speed up the process immensely. So gather some bags, mason jars or other freezer safe containers and let’s get prepping!

Prep like a rawkstar

prep11. Slice and measure green smoothie ingredients according to recipe (just leave out the liquids). If using a mason jar, start with fruits and then add leafy greens last so they are towards the top. This helps get them out easier when frozen.

[hr]

prep2
2. Place all ingredients in a freezer safe Ziploc bag (quart size OR gallon size) or container (do not add liquid-base)

[hr]

prep4
3. Label with name of recipe and date made.

[hr]

prep5

4. Place and store in freezer for up to 6 months.

[hr]

prep35. Remove from freezer and pour ingredients into blender along with the liquid base. Blend until smooth!

[hr]

jensprep

If you blender isn’t doing so hot with frozen fruits, you can take your bag (or mason jar) out of the freezer the night before and let it defrost slightly. This also brings out more of the flavors in the fruit, which is awesome. If you are going this route, we also recommend freezing your greens separate from your fruits so they don’t defrost and get soggy. Jen keeps her frozen leafy greens in a gallon size Ziploc and then her fruit measurements in a mason jar.

Can I make my green smoothie the night before?
Yes! You can blend your smoothies ahead of time and store your green smoothies in a sealed container for 1 to 3 days in the fridge. We like to use these quart-size mason jars with the metal bands or these storage caps (click the links to be directed to the products on Amazon). Another perk to blending at night: your neighbors will love you for blending the night before too!

Fresh is always best, but a 2-day old green smoothie is still way better than a bag of the Cheetos (aka: orange dust) or a drive-thru breakfast sandwich. Your goal is to add more fruits and vegetables into your regular diet— and green smoothies will help you get there.

21-day cleanse: $49

SMOOTHIE Cubes: $5

DESSERTS: $15

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our helpful guides and cleanses.

More plant-powered goodness!

7-DAY cleanse: $35

Filed in:

Comment+

1. kry

January 28th, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Where are the Amazon links of the storage caps in your blog?

2. Ana

January 30th, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Kry, you can click on the picture that says, The Essentials (right on this page on the right hand side of the page). Not only will you see their amazon store link almost at the bottom of the page, but they provide a link to every item listed. Hope that helps!

3. Ana

January 30th, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Hi! Loving your site and Instagram too! Thank you so much for all the wonderful tips and advice.

I didn’t know I could freeze mason jars. I always felt like they would explode in my freezer. Really love the pic of Jen’s freezer! Being a busy mom I would definitely prep just like Jen. Also, thanks for letting me know that I can store smoothie leftovers.

I bought the 30 day cleanse from your site. I’m so excited to begin! My 1st day will be Saturday. Have to get my shopping done.

Thanks Again!

4. Jadah and Jen

February 3rd, 2014 at 11:44 am

Hope you enjoy the 30 days!

5. Yves

February 1st, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Do you have any trouble getting the frozen fruits out of the mason jars?

6. Jadah and Jen

February 3rd, 2014 at 11:45 am

If they aren’t wide mouthed it can be more difficult, Yves. Sometimes we let the jar sit out for about 10-15 minutes so it defrosts 🙂

7. Gisselle

February 20th, 2014 at 8:11 am

Does Jen uses a Quart or a Half Gallon Mason Jar to store her fuits frozen ? I am getting all my things ready for the 30 Day Challenge. Already got my vitamix and only waiting for my Mason Jars 🙂

8. Jadah and Jen

February 21st, 2014 at 7:46 am

Hi Gisselle! You can use whatever you’d like 🙂 In the photo it looks like a quart-sized jar.

9. Marina

February 25th, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I just started drinking green smoothies. Delicious.. I keep hearing that bananas are bad if you are trying to lose weight. I enjoy using 1/2 banana as a sweetener. Will that still be ok to help me lose weight? If not what else can I use?

10. Jadah and Jen

February 28th, 2014 at 7:50 am

I think you should be fine 🙂 Check out this article for substitutes:

11. linguere

February 26th, 2014 at 11:07 am

hi – Is it ok if I make my green smoothie for a week so every day I just drink. And can I just drink green smoothie for all days ?

12. Jadah and Jen

February 28th, 2014 at 7:51 am

Hi,
    I’m not sure if you’re asking if one green smoothie will last all week, but we don’t like to keep ours for more than two days after blending. We also recommend starting by drinking one green smoothie a day in place of a meal or snack 🙂

13. Kristen

March 8th, 2014 at 11:12 am

The kale smoothies are wrecking havoc with my thyroid issues. Kale and spinich and on the avoid list. What to do?

14. Jadah and Jen

March 10th, 2014 at 10:06 am

Could you try any of these leafy greens? Please be in touch with your nutritionist or doctor with advice if you aren’t sure:

15. Cat Vess

March 16th, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I just signed up for the 30 day challenge. Will I just “magically” get all the info in my email on April 1st? Thanks. Been drinking green smoothies for a couple of weeks now and already feel better. Can’t wait for the challenge.

16. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 17th, 2014 at 8:29 am

Hi!
    You will receive shopping lists and recipes a few days before April starts so you have time to prepare. Hope this helps!

17. Monica

March 19th, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Hi! I just signed up for the 30 day challenge. I have never had smoothies with veggies but me and my ninja blender are up for the challenge. I want to loose 50 lbs and I’m hoping this is the jump start I need to eating better. *fingers crossed*

18. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 20th, 2014 at 2:29 pm

You can do it, Monica!

19. April

March 21st, 2014 at 10:33 am

Hey Jadah and Jen,

I am SOOOOO excited about the 30-day challenge and I’ve even a few of my co-workers signed up as well so we can encourage one another! One question though, what do you do in the morning with your frozen smoothie from the night before? DO you just defrost and drink or do you have to blend again? I’m new to this, so please be patient with me..lol! Thanks!

20. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 21st, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Hi April!
    Just one point of clarification: We freeze unblended ingredients, and then blend them in the morning. That way we are drinking freshly blended smoothies!

21. Alison

March 24th, 2014 at 2:53 am

I cant WAIT for this challenge! I am looking at freezing ingredients where I can, can you freeze things like apples?
    All this new knowledge as well as a healthier outlook on life, so excited!!!!

22. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 24th, 2014 at 9:42 am

You can freeze apples!

23. Danelle

March 25th, 2014 at 9:44 am

Couple questions on the pre-frozen prep:
    Since you can’t put your leafy greens in the fridge wet, whats your process from washing then freezing. I can’t put my greens in the freezer without having washed them first of course.

Also, if you can put your chia seeds straight into the blender, what is the benefit of putting them in water overnight? (newbie to chia seeds) Is it just so you don’t have the “seed” factor in a freshly blended smoothie? I know it gelat-inizes within 5-10 minutes when put in liquid.

And, when slicing and dicing all your fruit to be frozen, and it becomes a hard block, is it perfectly normal and safe to use force to have to break it up so it blends better or are you losing ANY nutrients by freezing and breaking like this?

24. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 25th, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Hi Danelle!
    If we buy pre-packaged leafy greens that have already been washed, then we just stick the whole thing in the freezer. If we buy leafy greens from the fresh produce section or from a farmer’s market, then we wash it, pat it dry, and then freeze it.

The benefit of soaking chia seeds is that they become gel-like, and help to make the smoothie a bit more thick.

It’s also perfectly fine to break fruit off of a frozen block.

Hope these answers help!

25. Danelle

March 26th, 2014 at 8:07 am

I’m curious! What your guy’s process is when coming home from the market with a fresh LOAD of fruit and veggies. (detailed). I tried it and am not too happy with my results! 😮

I washed everything, froze everything. I now I all of a sudden don’t like the taste of the smoothies as much. They are more bland and vegatably than fruity. Wonder what i’m doing wrong. I pre-packged fruit/leafy green’s inside gallon ziplock bags. And blender definitely doesn’t like the whole recipe frozen (accept liquid). Texture was more frozen then smooth (all was blended) and I have a vitamix! Go figure!!

26. Andra J Mladinich

March 26th, 2014 at 8:58 am

Try taking the bag out of the freezer and let it sit on the counter for about a half an hour to let it partially thaw. Also chop up something not frozen, like an apple, to add to the blender.

27. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 27th, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Andra had some great input with letting the bag defrost, Danelle. We also don’t freeze everything. We like to have mostly fresh ingredients with one frozen fruit to chill it, though sometimes we have to prep the night before with frozen bags. Hope this helps!

28. Danelle

March 28th, 2014 at 10:22 am

Thanks guys. I see Dan! Step one above made it look like anytime you can prep it all in one zip loc baggie as the regular process which I did and it’s just not working. And then taking it out to defrost…has the spinach in with it, so that wasn’t working either. UGH. So looks like it will be all fresh all the time! 😮

29. Kim

March 30th, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Hi, i am frommel Holland and we do not use cups to measure. How many grams of leavy Greens is two cups?

30. Karen

March 30th, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I weighed 2 cups spinach, packed, at 73 grams.
    I weighed 2 cups kale, packed, at 58 grams.

31. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 31st, 2014 at 7:58 am

Thanks for the help, Karen!

32. Jon

March 31st, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I am starting the April 30-day challenge! I got almost 20 coworkers to join in and was extremely motivated to follow through everyday! Thanks for an amazing website.

I do have a question. How do you measure 2 cups of leafy greens. For example, spinach, do you get the measuring cup and compact the leaves or just toss them in and see when it hits the 2 cup mark? Please help! Let me know if you have a link to another part of your website that helps. Thanks again!

33. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 1st, 2014 at 6:09 am

Hi Jon,
    When we do measure, we pack them tightly into a measuring cup. However, we kind of can eyeball how much two cups is now, so we just toss leafy greens in til it looks like it’s two cups.

Hope this helps!

34. Jon

April 2nd, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Dan! It did help. I’m enjoying the April chalkenge so far!

35. Sherri

April 8th, 2014 at 6:27 pm

I prepare my fruit and greens in quart size freezer bag. Fruit on bottom and greens on top. I take it out while I’m getting ready in morning, give it time to that a bit. Blend greens first then gradually add fruit. I usually do a weeks worth at a time.

36. Denise

April 12th, 2014 at 12:47 pm

When I freeze my fruit I cut it up and freeze it individually then after frozen I bag it up. This keeps the fruit from becoming a fruit brick and makes blending easier. I also have a vitamix and have never had any problems blending frozen fruits and veggies.

37. Rebecca

June 3rd, 2014 at 9:07 am

I’ve been doing green smoothies for a few months. I feel so much better! I really was never much of a breakfast eater and by lunch I’d eat anything I could get my mouth around. This has helped me get my daily eating habits under control.

I add coconut oil, Chia seeds and Kefir along with kale, spinach (sometimes beets) and whatever fruits I have on hand. I’m so glad to have found this site as I too have been tossing more fruits and greens than I’d like to admit. I just bagged and froze a weeks supply!! This method will help tons!

38. SGS Rawkstar Dan

June 3rd, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Awesome to hear, Rebecca! So glad to be a part of this healthy eating journey with you!

39. Tammy

June 6th, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Hi, am trying various smoothies for both wt loss & also to incorporate fruits & veggies into my diet. My blender had serious problems chopping up the spinach. Any suggestions? Don’t want to purchase a food processor. Is it ok to chop/use kitchen scissors before blending?

40. SGS Rawkstar Dan

June 9th, 2014 at 8:03 am

Hi Tammy!
    Have you tried blending the leafy greens and liquid together first, and then adding the rest of the content? That could help!

41. Tammy

June 9th, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Sort of I guess. Had the spinach and liquids in blender first then added the solids on top but my blender just spun around w/o chopping it up much. I had to pause a bunch of times and stir things around so the blades could actually grip something. Took forever, thought I’d blow up the blender!

42. SGS Rawkstar Dan

June 10th, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Could you try blending just the liquid and greens first? After they are a juice-like consistency add the rest of the ingredients 🙂

43. Tammy

June 12th, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Thanks, I tried that as well as rough cut my spinanch and it worked out great!

44. Karen

June 14th, 2014 at 11:30 am

Hi!

So excited to have found this website! Do you suggest steaming the leafy greens due to greens high in oxalic acid prior to freezing them? I have heard when they are frozen raw, the oxalic acid can cause kidney stones.

Thanks!
    Karen

45. SGS Rawkstar Dan

June 16th, 2014 at 1:08 pm

We prefer not steaming them, Karen. Check out this article, too!

46. Megan

December 17th, 2014 at 10:13 am

I’ve recently started making myself green smoothies with spinach, strawberries, bananas, pineapple, and flax seed (which kind of ends up being a brown smoothie). I decided to make some smoothies ahead of time for the week, and kept them in the fridge in sealed plastic cups. I opened up my fridge this morning to find my smoothie exploded. The plastic cup it was in practically split in half! So as much as I encourage planning ahead, I wouldn’t recommend making smoothies any more than 1 day in advance because even the smoothie I had yesterday was very fizzy.

47. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 17th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Hey Megan.

Sorry to hear about that. Next time if you give it a little shake or stir the separated parts will come back together. Here are are some freeze ahead prep tips: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/tips/make-ahead-smoothie-prep

1 2 3 4 5 6
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM