21-DAY AUTUMN CLEANSE
TOP AUTUMN RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

Are you ready to RAWK your smoothie world? With my simple smoothie prep guide, you’ll be saving time and money with just a little bit of work.

The next healthy habit to embrace on your road to health and happiness is making your daily smoothies ahead of time. Prepping your smoothies shaves off precious extra minutes in your morning routine, plus it puts the kibosh on any other excuses that stand in the way of you sipping on some healthy green goodness.

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”  ― Benjamin Franklin

Can I get an amen on Franklin’s words of wisdom for us all?

Make ahead smoothies really save me precious time in the morning. I love not having to think about cutting up fruit, measuring anything or accidentally running out of smoothie ingredients. (because we know that happens to all of us!)

Smoothie ingredients used to prep ahead

3 Smoothie Prep Benefits

1. Enjoyable time in the kitchen: I actually enjoy spending a few minutes on Sundays prepping smoothies for the week (or month!). I crank up Alexa and turn my kitchen into a cooking show… yet there’s no meal to put on the table or pots and pans to clean!
  2. Sets the foundation for healthier habits. According to a recent study, “Spending less than one hour a day preparing food at home is associated with eating more fast food and spending more money eating out.”
  3. It’s the easiest way to prep ahead for the week. Now, I know it can be hard to meal plan each week, but smoothie prep is such a simple task…AND it creates big results. I hope you give it a shot with my step by step tutorial…

Let’s get started!

How to prep ahead smoothies for the week with bags or jars
Smoothie ingredients all laid out to prep for the week
Make Ahead Smoothies in freezer with bags stacked nicely

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep Guide

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Prep Time: 30
  • Total Time: 30
  • Yield: 7 smoothies
  • Category: smoothies
  • Method: blending
  • Cuisine: healthy

Make smoothies in half the time with our make ahead smoothie prep guide. You can use this process to prep for a day, a week or even a month– depending on how much space you have in your freezer!

• measuring cups
  • quart bags or canning jars (regular or wide-mouth)
  • permanent marker
  • your fav fruit and leafy greens
  • our Daily Blends smoothie recipe app!

1. Decide which recipes you’ll make for the week and have the recipe on hand. Feel free to use our Smoothie library for inspiration.
  2. Slice or cut fruit into chunks.  You can also cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily.

3. Label bag and jar lids with recipe name and date. Be specific. You might also want to include how much of which liquid gets blended with each smoothie pack (to have when you’re ready to blend).
  4. Measure out the ingredients and pack into jars or bags.
  5. Remove as much air as possible from bags and jars when sealing closed. Pack fruit and leafy greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids.
  6. Place in freezer. Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly.
  7. When ready to use, remove from freezer. Add liquid base to container or bag (which helps defrost the fruit slightly). You can also thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.
  8. Pour into blender and blend until smooth.

• Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.
  • If hoar frost forms on the fruit and greens, it is still perfectly safe to consume. It can be rinsed off with lukewarm water.
  • Store smoothie packs away from foods with strong odors. Glass jars offer the best protection against odors.

Keywords: smoothie prep, make ahead smoothie,

smoothie recipe cards, cut fruit and measuring cups for make ahead smoothies

In addition to prepping your smoothies, you can also freeze them blended. Yep! You can actually blend your smoothies and freeze them until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but the smoothies will still be fine to consume.

21-day cleanse

the CHALLENGE

DESSERT guide

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Learn more about a plant-powered diet

7-DAY cleanse

21-day cleanse

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered diet!

7-DAY cleanse

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Kimone

October 28th, 2016 at 8:46 am

Can the green smoothie help you lose weight

2. SGS Rawkstar

October 31st, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Hi Kimone,

While our number one goal here isn’t weight loss, it can be a happy accident. Our co-founder Jadah met her weight loss goals by replacing one meal with a green smoothie. Learn more about her story here…

You can replace up to two meals with a green smoothie. We suggest adding protein + healthy fats to ensure you’re fueling your body with a complete meal. Learn more about our favorite meal replacement booster combos here…

3. M.C.

November 12th, 2016 at 8:45 am

Upon opening my first article from you smoothie queens, it showed me how simple it is prepare 4 smoothies in advance, rather than just one. Simple, but effective.
    tx. tips

4. SGS Rawkstar

November 14th, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Rawk on, M.C.!!

5. Lenee

December 5th, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Brand new smoothie gal here…Thanks for the awesome tips! I am so excited I found this awesome team!

6. SGS Rawkstar

December 13th, 2016 at 7:25 am

Hi Lenee,

YAY! We’re so excited you found us in this busy digital world! Reach out with any questions!

7. Lucy Chen

December 10th, 2016 at 1:03 am

Thank you for the tips of freezing the veges and fruits in jars and prepare a bunch in advance!

Not only will this makes it easier to blend (which I do every day already), it helps save some veges that would otherwise go bad.

8. Dixie Helm

December 22nd, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Yay! Glad to get started back up. Did about a year with you gals of a smoothie a day. But slacked off after the cold weather hit.So Im glad to start again.Thanks from Texas

9. SGS Rawkstar

December 26th, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Hi Dixie,

YAY! We’re so excited to have you back + blendin’ with us! Worried the cold weather may deter you from rawking out with us, again? Check out our favorite warm smoothie recipes, perfect for any chilly Texas days.

10. Cindy

December 29th, 2016 at 8:14 am

Thanks for the tips for smoothie prep. I really needed this. Lately I have been on holiday mode lacking energy and no motivation. This will definitely help me get through to the New Year with more positivity.

11. SGS Rawkstar

January 4th, 2017 at 9:51 am

Hi Cindy,

YAY! We hope our prep tips help blending green smoothies a habit you’ll keep all-year long!

12. Vivi

December 29th, 2016 at 11:55 am

Love this amazing idea…how did I not twig to it sooner. One of the reasons I stopped with the morning green juice was the nuisance of cleaning, cutting, prepping the various ingredients and then washing the Magic Bullet parts! Now things will change….any advice on using cranberries?!

13. SGS Rawkstar

January 4th, 2017 at 9:50 am

Hi Vivi,

We love blendin’ with cranberries! Hello, antioxidants!! We simply add the cranberries, liquid base, + leafy greens to our blender first. Once blended to a juice consistency, add your remaining ingredients!

14. Sara

January 1st, 2017 at 8:43 am

Better to batch freeze like fruits/veg, then sort into individual smoothies. It won’t be a brick that has to thaw first:

1. Coat a baking sheet with coconut, hemp, etc. oil
    2. Place cut ripe fruits/veg as one layer on sheet (one sheet of ripe bananas, one sheet of fresh blackberries, etc.) Freeze!
    3. When frozen, store together (temporarily)
    4. Repeat until all fresh fruits/veg are frozen
    5. Sort into bags for individual smoothies.

15. SGS Rawkstar

January 4th, 2017 at 9:43 am

Hi Sara,

Thanks for sharing! I usually batch freeze my ingredients before bagging them into my smoothie packs. Like you said, it helps prevent them from freezing together + makes blending super easy!

16. Ruth

January 2nd, 2017 at 8:00 am

I blend entire recipe ( greens & fruit & nuts) with enough of preferred liquid to blend; then I pour into ice cube trays, freeze, then bag correct amount for one green smoothie into quart freezer bag. I take out of freezer & store in refrig overnight to thaw. Blend for green smoothie in the morning. Is this procedure good for maintaining the nutrients?

17. SGS Rawkstar

January 4th, 2017 at 9:37 am

Hi Ruth,

This is a great option! We love hearing about new ways to prep your green smoothie, and freezing is a great way to preserve all of their green goodness!

18. Anne Lee

January 2nd, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Started 10 day smoothie cleanse Nov 1/16 and lost 8 lbs. Switched to modified cleanse until Christmas and total loss was 12 lbs…2.5 ” from my waist!!!!
    I celebrated Christmas “carefully” with the intention of continuing with the smoothies. The big thing I notice is how much better I feel and how much more energy I have when drinking these smoothies and I plan to continue to drinking them indefinitely along with one “clean” meal a day.

19. SGS Rawkstar

January 4th, 2017 at 9:34 am

Hi Anne,

YAY! Cheers to health, happiness + leafy greens! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! Want to take it up a notch? Check out our meal plans here!

20. Xenia

January 4th, 2017 at 10:26 am

Hey peeps! I’m attempting smoothie prep for the first time and am excited about the idea of my morning smoothie taking less time but I am also reluctant. Maybe this has been asked before, but could having all of the ingredients frozen, especially the leafy greens, affect the nutritional value of the smoothie? I can’t help but want to keep my fresh ingredients fresh, and my frozen frozen.

21. SGS Rawkstar

January 11th, 2017 at 7:08 am

Hi Xenia,

Thanks for reaching out! We’re so excited to have you join us. Worried about losing your nutritional value? Don’t be, freezing your leafy greens, veggies + fruits is like hitting the pause button, storing all of those yummy nutrients!

22. Linda

January 5th, 2017 at 6:58 am

Can we put Mason jars in freezer?

23. Jeannie Rodbell

January 5th, 2017 at 9:12 am

Yes you can put them in the freezer. Just leave a little room. I use them all the time for smoothies and bone broth.

24. SGS Rawkstar

January 11th, 2017 at 7:54 am

Hi Linda,

You can! Just make sure that your mason jars are freezer safe. I’ve found the wide-mouth jars are often freezer safe, and perfect for prepping green smoothies!

25. Dana

January 5th, 2017 at 6:59 am

Quick question. If I use wide mouth freezer jars for this, would I be able to take them from the freezer, and add liquid to it, and then blend with a stick blender? I have a pretty high powered stick blender. Just curious if anyone had tried it.

26. SGS Rawkstar

January 11th, 2017 at 7:55 am

Hi Dana,

This could be a great option. I’d suggest checking with the stick blender manufacturer to ensure blending is glass is an ok and safe option.

27. ellen

January 12th, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Hi. do you ever put the whole fruit including the peel in your smoothies such as orange lemons or watermelon. id so is there any whole fruit you would not use.

28. SGS Rawkstar

January 13th, 2017 at 7:03 am

Hi Ellen,

We do! Fruit peels are super nutritious + add great fiber and flavor to your green smoothie. Learn more about the peels we add, and how to add them here…

29. Maxine

January 15th, 2017 at 10:30 am

How do you get the frozen fruit and greens out of the jar when it is all frozen together to save time?

30. Mari Harper

January 19th, 2017 at 11:16 am

I take my jars out and run them under warm water and then leave them out while i’m getting ready for work. When I get ready to make my smoothie it usually pours right out, if not I just take a spoon and pry it out.

1 19 20 21 22 23

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25