This watermelon smoothie is a cool + sweet thirst quencher that you’ll be sipping all summer. A vibrant red smoothie loaded with antioxidants and hydration.
Want a refreshing, vitamin-packed smoothie that doubles as a kid-pleasing snack? This watermelon smoothie is a cool and sweet thirst quencher that you’ll be sipping on all season long. Packed with watermelon, cherries and strawberries, this quintessential summer smoothie is quick and easy to make and perfect for freezing as popsicles.
With just four simple ingredients, you’re on your way to an invigorating, naturally-sweetened, healthy summer treat.
Table of Contents
5 Watermelon Smoothie Tips
- Since watermelon is over 90% water by weight, you don’t need to add any extra liquid or ice to this smoothie.
- Use seedless watermelon for this recipe. No need to spend all day picking out watermelon seeds!
- Using frozen cherries and frozen strawberries rather than fresh ones yields a cool and frosty drink. If using fresh, add ice cubes to the blender.
- Serve this smoothie immediately after making it. The longer it sits, the more the watermelon separates from the other ingredients.
- Want popsicles? Freeze the smoothie in freezer pop molds to make homemade popsicles for the kids.
Health Benefits of a Summer Smoothie
Summer is overflowing with nutrient-dense produce. Take advantage of these ruby red, antioxidant-rich ingredients!
Watermelon has high water content, so it’s the perfect fruit for hydration. All that water doesn’t mean it’s lacking in powerful antioxidants. Watermelon actually has about 40% more lycopene than raw tomatoes. Lycopene can help curb your risk of cancer and heart disease as well as offers some protective effects against damaging UV rays.
Strawberries add filling fiber to this watermelon smoothie as well as vitamin C and other beneficial antioxidants. Blood sugar regulation, reducing heart disease risk and boosting immunity are just some of the health benefits of adding strawberries to your diet.
Cherries are also high in fiber and loaded with antioxidants. These powerful antioxidants may protect against cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetes as well as Alzheimer’s. Anti-inflammatory compounds in cherries may help reduce muscle pain and damage.
Watermelon Smoothie FAQs
My watermelon smoothie blends cherries, watermelon, strawberries and lime. It’s super refreshing and antioxidant-loaded!
Yes! When using any kind of melon in a smoothie, I cut back on the amount of liquid. Watermelon contains enough water on its own that you don’t need any more liquid. Also, don’t forget to remove the seeds!
Watermelon acts as both the liquid and fruit in a smoothie. If you freeze the watermelon, be sure to add extra liquid to help it blend well.
More Summer Beverage Recipes
If you loved sipping my watermelon smoothie then check out these other excellent fruit smoothie options to cool down on a hot day:
- Spinach Banana Smoothie
- Mixed Berry Smoothie
- Pineapple Green Smoothie
- Orange Julius Smoothie
- Tropical Smoothie
- Cherry Beet Smoothie
- Summer Melon Smoothie
- Mango Green Smoothie
- Strawberry Blueberry Smoothie
- Pineapple Smoothie
- Blackberry Smoothie
- Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie
- Peach Probiotic Smoothie
Summer is the perfect time to stock up on fresh produce. You can freeze it to use to enjoy summer smoothies all winter long, or freeze smoothie packs to enjoy as well.
Will you rate + review this recipe once you’ve tried it? I so value your feedback!
Summer Watermelon Smoothie
- ¼ cup cherries frozen
- 2 cups watermelon chopped
- ¼ cup strawberries frozen
- ½ lime peeled
- 1 tbsp chia seeds optional
- 1 serving homemade protein powder optional
- Add watermelon, strawberries, cherries and lime juice to the blender.
- Blend on high speed until nice and smooth.
- Pour into cups and sprinkle with chia seeds on top.
- Use seedless watermelon if you don’t have time to pick out the seeds before blending.
- If using frozen watermelon, thaw ahead of time or add 1/2 cup liquid to help it blend well.
- To lower the natural sugar, swap the cherries out for blueberries or raspberries, or add in a plant based protein powder to help your body process the natural sugar.
What a great color! And with the addition of cherry flavor this is my favorite summer smoothieQ
So refreshing and delicious added tablespoon of chia seeds! Definitely making this again, probably freezing some for popsicles
Refreshing and delicious! Love the minimal ingredients and great flavor combination that resulted.
This might not be some peoples favorite, but for me it was delicious! I do prefer sweeter smoothies. The lime tends to add a bit of a less sweet flavor and although it doesn’t stay with you long, it is good for quenching thirst. I quite enjoyed it.
I don’t like watermelon, so I left that out and it became a berry cherry fruit smoothie for me. It was good!
I didn’t know there was such a thing as a yellow watermelon so I’m not sure if the flavor matches 100%. It is still delicious and refreshing. I also should have done a better job peeling the lime. I will definitely make this one again with a proper watermelon!
So tasty! I added a cup of spinach to make it a green smoothie. But I’ll be making this one all summer to use up local melons!
Fabulous! This smoothie hits the spot! I love Watermelon! I could drink these everyday! The sweetness, but knowing how healthy & hydrating it is, really makes me happy to drink it & enjoy fully!
Delicious! Would make a great dessert.
So yummy! I added protein powder, so we’ll see if this holds me until lunch. The hydration feels great after my morning workout.
Refreshing. I liked that the watermelon wasn’t overpowering.
Love it! It’s on the sweeter side, so I would add some ice cubes or water, but it’s a very tasty smoothie. The combination of fruits and berries is perfect!
I love all SGS smoothies however this one is far too sweet and “juice-like” for me. Added protein powder to bulk it up a little but it’s just not for me. If you like sweet drinks and smoothies you will enjoy. If you are more a green and veggie and fruit combo smoothie person then this may be too sweet and thin.
Summer in a glass! This smoothie is so fresh and refreshing!
This is my first ever watermelon smoothie! The blend with the cherries was absolutely amazing – a perfect taste of summer refreshment! Thank you!