The term "adrenal fatigue" is being used to describe a set of symptoms including body aches, fatigue, unexplained weight loss, low blood pressure, lightheadedness, loss of body hair, and skin discoloration. To understand what adrenal fatigue is, it's important to note what the adrenal glands do. The adrenal fatigue diet is still a fairly new concept... yet powerful.
The adrenal glands sit atop the kidneys and produce a variety of essential-to-life hormones. In short, these hormones are responsible for regulating the body's metabolism, immune system suppression, regulation of blood pressure and electrolyte balance, and the rapid response to stress. (Think: flight or fight response.)
Lifestyle and diet changes are usually necessary to recover from adrenal fatigue.
Adrenal fatigue diet smoothie
This Adrenal Fatigue Green Smoothie is chock full of nutritious ingredients chosen for their anti-inflammatory and adrenal-supporting properties. Baby spinach is high in iron as well as contains moderate amounts of vitamins B6 and C. Cauliflower is high in vitamin C, and is a great source of B6, and magnesium.
Coconut water provides extra B6, magnesium, and iron. Pineapple is extremely high in vitamin C, and one cup provides another 10% RDV of B6 and 5% magnesium. Turmeric is well-known for its anti-inflammatory properties thanks to curcumin, but it's also high in iron and B6. Finally flax oil is one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids. This smoothie is hydrating and full of heart- and GI-tract-friendly dietary fiber.
Another helpful way to combat adrenal fatigue is to include adaptogenic herbs in your diet. They can better help your body respond to stress and recharge the adrenal glands. An Adrenal Fatigue Diet can truly give you the energy and healing you need quickly! Food is medicine.
The best adaptogens for stress are rhodiola, mucuna pruriens, ashwaganda, cordyceps, schisandra, and licorice root. Maca and ginseng are great for fatigue. I often use Four Sigmatic products when trying to add more adaptogens to my diet.
A word of caution: discuss using these herbs with your healthcare provider as some adaptogens may interact with any prescription medications or supplements.
How To Recover From Adrenal Fatigue
If you are treating adrenal fatigue, then follow the following protocol:
- follow an adrenal fatigue diet which entails avoiding foods that cause inflammation and loading up on anti-inflammatory foods.
- eat high-protein foods as well as plenty of vegetables and whole grains
- avoid refined sugars and processed foods
- go to bed early (here are my sleep tips)
- take a supplement with B5, B6, and B12 vitamins (under doctor supervision)
- consume foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, curcumin (turmeric), and vitamin C
- add adaptogenic herbs to your diet – cordyceps, ashwagandha, rehmannia, and licorice root
- hydrate properly throughout the day
- replace any missing nutrients (confirmed by doctor's blood test and under supervision) such as vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, and selenium
- rest during the day, as needed
- participate in regular meditation and use other stress-relieving breathing techniques
- do yoga or another mild exercise (as not to create more fatigue)
Foods that fight fatigue
Eat foods that help the body do its best work. While food alone can't fix all your problems, it can certainly work for or against you. I drink a daily green smoothie because I know the more plants I eat, the better I feel... and the less I get sick, worn down, and stressed. Here are specific plants that can help your body fight adrenal fatigue, and help make up the adrenal fatigue diet smoothie below:
Legumes- Legumes are a great protein option, and easy to use in a variety of recipes.
Leafy greens- Add a cup or more of leafy greens to any smoothie you make; fresh or frozen.
Colorful vegetables- Eating veggies doesn't have to be boring. Delicious meals can be loaded with plants + taste good too.
Low sugar fruits- You'd be surprised at some fruits that are low on the glycemic index! Smoothies can be both sweet and low in sugar.
Healthy fats- Not all fat is the same and fat is a necessary part of a healthy diet. Learn what fats are healthy + how to use them in any recipe you want.
9 smoothie recipes for health and wellness
If you're ready to start drinking for your health, then try these great smoothie recipes:
- Green energy smoothie
- PCOS smoothie
- Smoothie for bloating
- Stress relief smoothie
- Digestion boost smoothie
- Anti inflammatory smoothie
- Brain fog smoothie
- Detox smoothie
- Immunity boost smoothie
Don't forget to make the adrenal fatigue diet smoothie below, then let me know how you liked it by rating + reviewing!
Adrenal Fatigue Diet SmoothieRate this Recipe Print Recipe
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ cup coconut water
- ½ orange (peeled)
- 1 cup pineapple (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup cauliflower florets (frozen)
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric (or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
- adaptogenic herbs (optional (see notes))
- 1 serving Protein Smoothie Boost (optional (see notes))
- Blend spinach, coconut water, and orange in blender until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
- If using adaptogenic herbs, use according to package directions for specific type and always check with a medical professional before using as some may cause interactions with prescription medications.
- Adding 1 scoop of Protein Smoothie Boost is a simple way to turn this smoothie into a meal replacement without altering the delicious flavors.