When snack time hits sometimes I’m craving a sweeter treat. That’s when I turn to this banana nice cream recipe. It’s got the texture of ice cream yet a lot fewer ingredients + no dairy.
The gorgeous color in this fun vegan ice cream recipe comes from the superfood blue spirulina, which provides vital cell support. Perfect for breakfast or as a mid-day pick me up, banana nice cream is a delicious treat (while still getting in healthy nutrients).
Table of Contents
3 Ingredient Vegan Ice Cream Recipe
Nice cream is essentially ice cream made with only plant-based ingredients. There is no dairy in nice cream, yet you can still get that thick and creamy with the right plants. Here’s the ingredients I used in my homemade version of banana nice cream.
- Coconut milk is a great non-dairy base that add creaminess and healthy fat. For an even creamier result, you can use coconut cream.
- Frozen bananas give this nice cream recipe an irresistible soft-serve texture. Make sure to use frozen bananas in this recipe since they work so well to give this smoothie bowl a creamy whip consistency.
- Blue spirulina is incorporated into the whip to give it a fun Mediterranean blue hue and added health benefits. Spirulina is blue-green algae that’s harvested from either fresh water lakes or saltwater and is then dried in the sun. Aztecs reportedly used spirulina as a source of food in the 16th century. As a natural source of chlorophyll, spirulina provides blood building properties as well as increased cellular energy production.
Best Toppings for Banana Nice Cream
The best part about nice cream are the toppings! Showcase your artistic abilities or let your kids’ creativity shine with a variety of beautiful edible toppings customized to your taste. For this banana nice cream recipe, we kept the theme blue and picked a combination of blackberries and blueberries for one half.
For the other half, we used dragonfruit cut into star shapes. To make dragonfruit stars, simply slice a ripe dragonfruit into 1/4” thick slices, and cut with a mini star shaped cookie cutter.
Use your fav fruit, berries and healthy granola for topping.
Is Banana Nice Cream Worth it?
I know…recipes like this just seem like so much work! Yet it really isn’t. 🙂
Honestly, I made this recipe for my kids and then I fell in love with it. Reminiscent of soft-serve ice cream, this healthy treat comes together easily with frozen bananas and coconut cream blended into a cool and creamy whip.
So yes— it’s absolutely worth the 15 minutes it takes to make. You can alway make extra and freeze as well.
More Easy Healthy Dessert Options
There are so many desserts that are super easy to make, super delicious, AND made with whole food plant based ingredients. Check these out:
- Fried sweet plantains
- Blackberry coconut sorbet
- Coconut Joy smoothie bowl
- Chocolate covered banana bites
- Strawberry vegan milkshake
- Chocolate pudding bowl
- Rainbow smoothie
These desserts are made with real ingredients, yet satisfy the sweet tooth. I can’t wait for you to try one! Don’t forget to rate + review this recipe once you try it!
Banana Nice Cream
- 4 bananas peeled, sliced and frozen
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- dash blue spirulina adjust and add more until you get the color desired
- dragon fruit
- Combine ingredients in a blender.
- Use a tamper to push down ingredients into blender while on. This is a super thick blend, so you'll need to help the blender by using the tamper. You can also stop blending periodically and push ingredients down with a wooden spoon (yet be careful!).
- Serve immediately or store in a freezer safe container until ready to enjoy.
- When serving, divide into 4 bowls and add toppings.
- To make the cute lil’ dragonfruit stars, simply slice a ripe dragonfruit into 1/4” thick slices, and cut with a mini star shaped cookie cutter.
- Use frozen fruit for a colder result, or freeze to make cold. Learn how to freeze bananas so you’ve got some on hand.
- Freeze 4-6 months.
I think the beautiful color alone is enough reason to make this recipe! And it’s delicious!
I totally agree!!
This has become our go-to. It’s so nice to be able to tell the kids YES, YOU CAN HAVE ICE CREAM!!
Woo hoo, Amanda! I bet they love this nice cream!
We have friends that use a special machine to turn bananas into a form of ice cream, but I try to avoid buying those single-use small appliances. LOVE that you’ve shown me how I can do this with my beloved Vitamix! Thanks!
I’m the same way, Kat! Vitamix blenders are awesome, aren’t they? I mean, is there anything they can’t do?!
Ice cream has been a hard treat to give up. Thank you for a delicious (and pretty!) alternative!
I could never give up ice cream and am so happy to have a healthier and dairy-free alternative now. 🙂
This is gorgeous! Definitely turning my next dragon fruit into stars.
Same, Erin! I think that’s my favorite part of this recipe. 🙂
Love this! In your recipes that use coconut milk, are you using the canned coconut milk or the stuff in a carton?
Hey Barbara! It really does depend on the recipe. For this one, to get a very creamy nice cream you’ll want to use canned coconut milk. 🙂
Hello, Jen, Thank you for this recipe. Where might I purchase blue spirulina? In a health food store I would think but just wanted to see if it might be in the grocery store, too?
Need to do something other than what I am doing…..eating too much ice cream on a daily basis, almost and not small quantities. I will look for more recipes for protein shakes I can use as a meal replacement 1-2x/per day. I am soon to be 71 years of age and need to lose weight to lower sugar #’s. I like to keep active but need to get back to walking daily. I keep busy when I babysit our 3 yr. old grand daughter and she LOVES to keep busy. Thank God that our son and daughter-in-law, grandson and grand daughter live only 10 miles away.
THANKS FOR KEEPING ME ON YOUR MALING LIST ALL THESE YEARS.
Hi Betty! You can get the blue spirulina online from Amazon. I linked to it in the recipe, yet you could honestly leave it out (or blend in some blueberries to try and get the blue-ish pigment to pop). It’s really all about the fruit toppings and avoiding the dairy and high sugar ice creams— so anything in this direction will def help you health. Your grand daughter is lucky to get to spend time with you! I’m glad they live close do you can make special memories. I could totally see you doing a nail day and making this together too 🙂
Where do you purchase spirulina?
Good question, C. Pop Joy and Terrasoul Superfoods both have a Blue Spirulina (which is what we used to get it this gorgeous color and they sell it on amazon.