We're back at it again to give you the best oat milk brands of 2022! We researched, shopped and tested 12 different brands to bring you the widest variety of oat milk we could find (at least in central Florida).
I can't wait to share the results with you. Oat milk is something I'm reaching for more and more these days due to its creamy texture and mild taste. Let's see how it stacks up in this growing world of plant-based milk.
Best Oat Milk Brand
Before I reveal our results, I want to break down a little research into oat milk brands. Unlike almond milk, which is categorized as sweetened or unsweetened and comes in various flavors, oat milk categories are not straightforward. Let's break down the lingo first.
What 'Original' Really Means
The goal of our project was to test all of the 'original' oat milk we could find. Brands are not consistent with their labeling, so we had to get a bit creative. Here are all the ways we found 'original':
- Less Sweet
- Full Fat
- Less Fat
- Extra Creamy
- Blended with coconut and cashews
How's that for clarity? While you can be fairly certain that any almond milk brand has an unsweetened original version, this wasn't the case with oat milk. We did find the zero sugar plain version of Chobani this year (yay!). But we couldn't find a fully unsweetened version of Good and Gather. We also had to pick between the original and barista version of Oatly!, which threw us for a loop. We came up with a comprehensive list of what is on the market right now at the national level. Let's get on to the results!
Best Oat Milk Brands of 2022
To make the table easy to decode, I used a leaf scoring system (because green is best!):
While Califia was the stand-out winner in all categories, most of the milk brands we tested were pretty middle-of-the-road. Only three brands, Califia, Elmhurst, and Forager, boasted a simple ingredient list. Simply Oat has a more straightforward ingredient list yet includes the ever-elusive 'natural flavors,' which dethroned its seat from our cleanest list.
Because most of the milk we tested had several additives and gums, they were disqualified from 'dark green status.' I recommend checking the calorie and sugar content of any oat beverage you purchase. The sugar content alone ranges from 1g to 10g between brands, so we felt them worth mentioning:
- Natural by Nature: 120 calories, 10g added sugar
- Trader Joe's: 90 calories, 9g added sugar
- Good + Gather: 90 calories, 9g added sugar
- Chobani Extra Creamy Original: 120 calories, 8g added sugar
- Oatly: 120 calories, 7g added sugar
- Califia: 130 calories, 4g added sugar
- Planet Oat: 90 calories, 4g added sugar
- Silk: 80 calories, 4g added sugar
- Simply Oat Original: 80 calories, 4g added sugar
- Forager: 45 calories, 2g sugar (no added sugar)
- Elmhurst: 80 calories, 1g sugar (no added sugar)
- Chobani Zero Sugar Plain: 80 calories, 0g sugar
I'm still a firm believer that the best plant milk is homemade, so check out my homemade milk recipe and let me know how it compares to your favorite store-bought brand.
Where to Buy Oat Milk
All the oat milk brands in this review were purchased around the Tampa Bay area. Obviously, there are regional grocery stores and brands not available here. Comment below with your favorite oat milk brand and store where it can be found so we can try to include it next year! My friend Erin shopped at the following stores to get as many oat milk brands as possible:
- Trader Joe’s
- Whole Foods
Oat milk brands are steadily gaining momentum here in the Southeastern United States. For this year's update, we were able to find two additional brands to try: Chobani Zero Sugar Plain and Simply Oat Original.
Oat Milk Nutrition Facts
Like many types of plant milk (and even varieties of dairy milk), oat milk is commonly fortified with vitamins and minerals. Brands do this to compete in the 'milk' category. Oats are a healthy grain in their own right, as you'll see below:
- Lowers cholesterol: According to a study conducted by the US National Library of Medicine, regular consumption of oat milk for 5 weeks showed lower cholesterol levels.
- Loaded with fiber: 1 cup of oat milk contains 3.3 grams of fiber, 13.2% of the recommended daily intake. If you use this as a base for a green smoothie, then your gut will be thanking you for helping to keep it regular.
- Heart healthy: The soluble fiber in oat milk is also excellent (and necessary) to keep hearts healthy.
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions: not only does oat milk promote human health, it also promotes environmental health. It takes up hundreds fewer square miles to produce than dairy milk, and uses ⅛th of the water consumption expended in the production of almond milk.
- Fortified with B vitamins: Most commercially available oat milk is fortified (as are other dairy and non-dairy milk products). This plant milk specifically is loaded with B vitamins, which helps the body stay energized and also promotes heart health.
Is Oat Milk Gluten Free?
I love that oat milk isn't only a healthy choice for our bodies and an environmentally friendly choice for our planet. If you're sensitive to gluten, make sure to read the labels and ingredient list closely. Some brands specify gluten-free oats were used, yet most don't. If you're looking for a gluten-free brand, these are ones we found that say "gluten free" on them:
- Planet Oats
- Simply Oat
- Chobani (both kinds)
- Forager: states they use "gluten-free oats"
9 Recipes with Oats
While there were some super great grocery oat milk brands, I still think nothing beats homemade. This oat milk recipe is simple, quick and delicious. Try it and see how it stacks up against the store-bought competition.
This recipe will bring you nourishing breakfasts for the week. Make once and enjoy for days! Feel free to add whatever toppings you like best.
Why wait in a drive-thru when you can make this coffee shop quality treat at home. Sweet, creamy and oh so delicious, this plant-based latte hits all the comfort factors needed to start the day.
Whether you're making breakfast for a crowd or you want to batch cook breakfast for the week, this is the recipe for you. It's incredibly delicious and filling, which I need first thing in the morning.
This heart-healthy smoothie is loaded with fiber and just the right amount of sweetness. This is the perfect post-workout snack or even a quick breakfast on the go.
I love having a few jars of overnight oats on hand as a snack or on-the-go breakfast. Each container can have different toppings, which is a must in my household. You can use your favorite oat milk brand as the base too!
A protein-packed smoothie that tastes like dessert is my go-to for a workout day. This is a great way to fuel up before a workout or a creamy dessert for that chocolate craving.
These granola bars will keep the family happy all day long. They pack nicely in a daypack or cooler as well—a burst of energy to keep the adventures going.
Jen’s Coconut Granola
Use this incredibly balanced granola as a breakfast with your favorite oat milk or as a nutritious snack on the go. It can be paired with fresh berries, yogurt or munched on its own. It's seriously good and can be found in the our Seasonal Cleanse.
One of the many great things about green smoothies is that they're so customizable. Next time you make one, try swapping the liquid base for oat milk to produce a creamier, thicker smoothie. Oat milk can be a great added protein, as well as a thickener for that delicious smoothie bowl.