Made with alkaline leafy greens, cucumber, parsley, and fresh squeezed lime juice, these balancing smoothie cubes are an easy way to boost your body’s intake of nutrient-dense plants. Drop into any smoothie to up the nutrition levels and leafy green goodness to your day.
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 large cucumber, peeled if desired, cut into chunks
- 3 cups packed kale leaves, tough stems removed, chopped
- 3 cups packed collard green leaves, tough stems removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed parsley leaves and tender stems
- Alkaline water, for blending
- Add ingredients to the jar of a blender in the order listed, except for alkaline water. Pulse a few times, then turn onto high and blend until smooth. If needed, add a little of the alkaline water for easier blending.
- Scrape down sides of blender and look to see how much liquid there is. Add enough alkaline water to fill to the 4 cup (32-ounce) line. Blend again.
- Fill two standard 16-well ice cube trays with the pureed greens. Tap the trays gently on the counter to remove any air bubble and place in freezer. Freeze for several hours, preferably overnight, until solid. Pop out of ice cube trays and store in a freezer-safe, airtight container.
- To use smoothie cubes, add 4 cubes to your favorite smoothie to replace of in addition to the leafy greens. Four cubes is roughly equal to 3/4 cup packed fresh greens.
- Lemon juice can be substituted for the lime juice, as can raw apple cider vinegar.
- Use any leafy green to substitute the ones listed above, keeping in mind that cruciferous vegetables have more of the detoxifying and alkaline properties. Bok choy, Brussels sprouts, broccoli or cauliflower, cabbage, and other cruciferous veggies are great substitutes.
- For those worried about consuming raw leafy greens, the greens can be lightly steamed or blanched before blending, and will lose a bit of volume. Add more water or increase the amount of greens to equal the 4 cups of liquid.
- Cucumber can be substituted with celery, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, radish, bell pepper, or another alkaline vegetable or fruit.
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: kale, collard greens, lime, lemon, cucumber, smoothie booster, smoothie, alkaline